5yr old has become a nightmare
Can't work out why

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Natttmumm

Posted 16 December 2012 - 06:40 PM

DD1 has just turned 5. She'been a difficult child all her life except at 4 years it all stopped and she was so good, the last year has been a breeze. We thought we turned the corner which was a welcomed relief. The last few weeks it's all come back, the screaming tantrums on and off all day, screaming going to bed, fighting about every single thing, so rude and her attitude is so bad. It's starting to turn the family upside down again like it did when she was little. DH and I try to be on the same page and stay clam but after a day of this behaviour everyone is on edge and we end up yelling.

Has anyone else experienced this at age 5? If so what did you do, any advice would be great.
Time out only makes the tantrum worse and she trashes her room in a rage, taking toys away means the tantrum goes on for hours and hours and then she's up really late at night screaming - last night it went on from 8 until 930pm. We have tried the positive rewards but seems she just can't help herself at the moment.
What works with this age group?

#2 cinnabubble

Posted 16 December 2012 - 06:59 PM

I haven't encountered that level of destruction, but in my experience, kids go a bit mad in the months before they start school. My older daughter, who is dramatic, but not usually volatile, kicked one of her daycare educators so hard she sought medical assistance in the last months before she started school. Kids just get horrible around then.

#3 miajas

Posted 16 December 2012 - 07:15 PM

I can't offer any great advise as we are dealing with exactly the same issues with DD1 who is the same age and starting school next year.  DD1 screams and rants as soon as we say 'no', doesn't listen, has a major attitude, and has now starting saying 'I hate you'.   At first it was 'I don't care' but when she got no reaction with that the 'I hate you' has started and sometimes I want to yell back ' I feel the same right about now' - but I have never nor will I.  She will also throw things and has hit me (like a smack) on a few occasions.

Just today she was sent to her room for not listening, saying I hate you and hitting me all because I said no to going out in the hot sun for a little while.  She fell asleep for nearly 2hrs as I said she couldn't move from the bed.
We did start an award system where she earns pocket money at the end of the week. It worked great for the first few weeks then after that it failed and she just didn't get it.  

Everyone keeps saying 'she'll be better once school starts, she's probably just bored'.

ETA: DH has put her in a corner a few times and stands there and keeps telling her to turn around and face the corner until she does, it seems to calm her down once she does start listening.

Edited by miajas, 16 December 2012 - 07:17 PM.

#4 Natttmumm

Posted 17 December 2012 - 08:39 AM

Must be the age by the sounds of it. Really hoping I don't get that every day after school next year

#5 Lishyfips

Posted 31 December 2012 - 04:06 PM

When I read your post I felt as though I could have written it. Exactly the same thing happening with my 5 year of daughter every day for the past week or so.
I've been wondering if her daily psycho tantrums were diet related (she's eaten a whole lot of cherries and berries lately, I thought maybe that was it). They seem to be set off by random, minor incidents, no real pattern or predictability there.
I'm now thinking it's more to do with the transition between kinder and school, and maybe it's as simple as boredom or restlessness because we've lost our daily routine in the last week and a bit.
I share your frustration, though - I thought her crazy tantrum years were behind us!

#6 mum2amonkey

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:55 PM

Same is happening here with DS1 who is also 5 and off to school in a couple of weeks.

The tantrums of 1-100 are painful, bad attitude, completely grump and everything is a battle.

I agree that although we've got alot going on he probably slightly bored, ready to be stimulated, tired from the festive season and we also have bub#3 due anyday so the changes coming school and baby would be playing on his mind.

However dealing with it day to day is exhausting...I take a deep breath count to 5 and try to model me staying calm even if he isn't. My rules are instead of the 1-100 reaction he needs to ask for my help with dealing with a problem or miss 3 and if not I send him to his room not to come out till he's over it.

Luckily for me I don't get the room trashed, lots of crying, screaming but eventually calms down and often finds something to do in there.

Good luck to all the others with crazy 5 year olds at this time of the year original.gif

#7 terri01

Posted 13 February 2013 - 01:09 PM

We went through this with my DD just before she started school and for the first few weeks of school (maybe even the first term I think).

It was so hard to stay calm and sometimes I didnt. After a day of it you just have enough. Anyway it didnt help anything. I watched a lot of super nanny to get some ideas. I love super nanny!!!!

I tried to remember that she was going through a big change and that I needed to have a bit of patience (as hard as it was). We gave a lot of praise for good behaviour (and sometimes a reward). We started a sticker chart (which she loved).

We also started time out. We didnt put her in her room though as I found she just had fun playing with her toys. I made her sit at the front door (it is at end of our small hallway so she is close enough to still see us but there is nothing fun there to do). If she tried to run out I would just put her back in (calmly even though inside I wanted to throttle her at times). I would just put her back and walk away. I didnt speak or show any emotion. Eventually she just stayed there (sometimes it took a while). I would set the timer on the microwave for 5 minutes and once the timer was finished (it would beep) I would go to her in the corner and get down on my knees and tell her what she had done and how that made me feel and ask her to apologise. We would then have a big hug and kiss and she would be allowed to leave the time out.

During the time out I would not start the timer until she was sitting there and was quiet (well mostly quiet as long as she wasnt screaming). If she continued screaming or trying to run out I would wait to start the timer or I would restart the timer (I would tell her I was doing this).

It was hard at first introducing it as it was different for her but she soon learned what was happening and it was so great. I still use the time out now but I rarely have to as her behaviour has dramatically improved.

I think it is a bit from her just growing up and also the way we have been dealing with it by staying calm and not yelling back or fighting with her.

We also had bed dramas. She was fine going to bed but would get up a few times a night trying to come in with us. She would chuck huge tantrums when we would try to put her back in her bed which would wake up my poor DS (who is younger than her). At times I gave in and just let her in as I was so tired (and my hubby works away most weeks and it was just easier). I was just making it worse so we agreed to not let her in and talked to her about it and said she was allowed in any time after 5am. We bought her a digital clock so that she could see it in the dark.

She fought it for a while but we didnt give in (there were many tantrums at 4am - the neighbours must have wondered what was going on). Anyway she soon realised we werent giving in and she started sleeping in her bed all night. It was so great!!! I would always make sure I praised her for sleeping well in her bed and she would get a sticker.

My DS always sleeps wonderfully in his bed and was getting a sticker every morning. She didnt like when he got a sticker and she didnt. I wouldnt rub her nose in the fact that he was getting one or anything but she would watch as I praised my DS and gave him the sticker. She soon became quiet proud of sleeping in her bed and we would give her high 5's and praise her for it along with the stickers.

Anyway things are so great and have been for a while now. It was hard at the start (as I have a bit of a temper and I found it hard not to let that out when she was driving me crazy) but me changing how I dealt with things and her realising that we werent going to tolerate the behaviour really worked.

We are going through a bit of the behaviour with my DS at the moment (not bed time problems though as he loves his sleep - so happy about this). He started school this year and I think just needs to let off some steam when he comes home. We are just doing what we did with DD. I also find that exercise really helps. It just staves off boredom so we go for lots of walks and bike rides and go to the park. My DS is learning to surf and so we go to the beach a lot. It is hard as I work 4 days but I do school hours and even though I am tired I try to do something most days (even if it is just jumping on the trampoline with them or playing a game after school/work). I find giving them just a little bit of time after school they are then happy to give me a bit of time to get the things done that I need to do to get organised for the next day and dinner etc.

I hope some of this helps. I am no expert but this is what has worked for us.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Share the little things that make you smile

We're giving away a Mountain Buggy nano, the ultimate travel stroller - and here are some of the great entries so far.

Toddler pleads for return of "stolen" nose

A two-year-old's reaction to a game of "got your nose" shows it doesn't take much to make a toddler cry.

The 15 photos new parents share (and five they don't)

From the first scan photo to the baby covered in cake at their first birthday party, there are 15 photos most parents seem to share - and some they don't.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

Breastfeeding friendly café goes viral

A photo of a breastfeeding-friendly sign in a cafe has been posted to Facebook and shared by hundreds of mums around the world.

First look at the Bugaboo Bee3

The newest Bugaboo Bee ? the Bee3 ? offers a variety of improved features, including a much asked-for bassinet and a rainbow of colour combinations.

Childcare costs, not paid leave, the real issue for parents

Given the choice between maintaining their wage for six months to have a child, or having a reduced rate of pay for a time but a better deal on childcare when returning to work, there are no odds on what most working parents would choose.

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

We lost three babies in two years

Our first pregnancy ended the way we all expected it to - with a healthy, happy baby in our arms. What a true blessing he was, for we were not to know the heartache we were about endure.

Family turned back from doomed flight MH17

'There must have been someone watching over us and saying, 'You must not get on that flight,' says mother who narrowly avoided boarding the Malaysian Airlines flight which exploded in mid-air over the Ukraine last night.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Adorable Skeanie loafers for kids

Your little toddler or preschooler can now get their nautical on with a new range of classic loafers by Australian show brand Skeanie.

My baby is hypermobile

For months, I have been telling myself not to worry that Jasmin isn't crawling or walking. This week I heard the term hypermobile for the first time.

When you don?t bond with your baby

They say that there is no bond greater than the bond between a mother and her child. But for some women, the mother-baby bond takes more time and effort to develop.

Yumi Stynes: Having a baby after a 10-year break

After a long break, Yumi Stynes gets a reminder of the pain - and the pleasure - of giving birth.

Grieving father asks for help to Photoshop his daughter's image

When Nathan Steffel's daughter Sophia died from a liver condition at just 6 weeks old, he reached out for someone to create a beautiful image of his little girl.

Raising kids in a 'low media' home

Can you imagine a life without TV or computers? Some parents are opting for a low-tech, screen-free life for their kids.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

WIN two Sea-Bands plus $1000

Three lucky fans can win a Sea-Band Prize Pack valued at over $1000 each, which includes two Sea-Bands plus a $1000 Eftpos Gift Card!

The beautiful moment a baby was born at the side of a road

It's not where she expected to give birth, but mum Corrine Cinatl is delighted that her daughter's roadside arrival was captured in a series of beautiful photos.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

The Nappy Collective starts new drive

It's that time of year when the dedicated volunteers at The Nappy Collective do their bit to help out mums and children in need - and they need your help.

Baby shower cake wrecks

From misshapen cake babies to questionable text, from odd colour choices to internal organ recreation, these are the baby shower cakes that taste forgot.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

Pregnancy progression photo ideas

Want to record your pregnancy as your belly grows? Here are some creative, fun ideas for photo shoots along the way.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Tin can craft and DIY ideas

Got a few old formula, Milo or coffee cans around the house? Use these fantastic upcycling ideas to create items for around the house and yard.

Dads meet their newborn for the first time

Emotional photos of two fathers meeting their newborn son have resonated with viewers worldwide, attracting thousands of Facebook likes and shares.

Skin safety isn't just a summer worry

Lax about the slip slop slap with your kids as weather turns cooler? Here's a reminder as to why we have to remain vigilant for our children?s future health.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Creative sleeping baby photoshoots

See how some parents and photographers have captured sleeping babies in unusual positions and using different props.

DIY kitchen and food hacks

DIY your way to a better kitchen and make cooking easier with our clever hacks. (Some content reproduced with permission from mashable.com.)

Winter warmers for babies and toddlers

Your baby or toddler will be nice and snug in these beautiful and fun winter pieces. Most are hand-made or knitted, and they're all designed to keep your little one toastie - and adorable!

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.