Best treatment for sore stiff neck?
urgent!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
22 replies to this topic

#1 Velvetta

Posted 16 December 2012 - 05:23 PM

I'm asking in WDYT because I fly to New Zealand  this week, and have a lot of driving to do. For a whole week my neck and lower head at the back have been stiff and sore, the type you get from sleeping with your head in a bad position, but i have a supportive firm latex pillow that I find very comfortable.
I can't turn my head to the left or roll it without pain. It's radiating into my head so it feels like a headache.

I  have no idea what the best treatment is for it. I know it may pass with time, but I'd really like to speed it up.
So - osteopath? chiropractor? acupuncture? massage? Chinese medicine? GP?.......

Who could help?

I've had this sort of thing before but never so long lasting or severe.

Thanks in advance

#2 Expelliarmus

Posted 16 December 2012 - 05:25 PM

I have tried physio for it but find chiropractic gives instantaneous relief and lasts longer than a physiotherapy treatment - especially when it's giving me the piercing headache that makes me want to smack the other side of my head repeatedly with a hammer.

#3 Escapin

Posted 16 December 2012 - 05:27 PM

I get that reasonably frequently and my physio really helps. You do need a decent physio tho! If you're in inner west Sydney I can PM you her details...

#4 Velvetta

Posted 16 December 2012 - 05:33 PM

That instant and lasting chiro treatment sounds good howdo.

I'm in northern nsw, but I'd travel to Brisbane or the Gold Coast if necessary provided I could get an appointment in the next 2 days.

#5 *Spikey*

Posted 16 December 2012 - 05:39 PM

You want either a physiotherapist or a chiropractor.

The main differences between physiotherapy and chiropractic in private practice come from the origins of each profession. While Physiotherapists evolved out of a combination of massage, manual therapy and rehabilitative exercises. Chiropractic has evolved from the use of spinal manipulations to treat pain and dysfunction.

As such, physiotherapists still tend to use more massage, manual therapy and exercises, while chiropractors tend to utilize far more manipulation during treatments.

Although the professions will always have their differences – as technology and research progress, the knowledge base of physiotherapists and chiropractors become more and more similar as both professions learn what treatments are most effective for musculoskeletal conditions and use evidence based research to guide their practice.

In either case: whether it be physio, chiro or any other treating practitioner- if you are looking for a professional to assist with the treatment of a musculoskeletal problem – The most important aspects in selecting a treating practitioner remain the same:

-The therapist should listens to you and understand your concerns and problems.
-The therapist must understand why it is important to you that the problems are addressed and corrected.
- The therapist should use only treatments that have been proven to be effective.
- The therapist should have knowledge and experience of treating similar injuries and understand how to get the best results.
- The therapist should constantly involve the patient in the process and their recovery.

I had a neck problem (couldn't look over my left shoulder) that I saw a physio for. She fixed it, and it has not returned. I prefer massage and heat to manipulation. But that's just me.

#6 Mamabear2010

Posted 16 December 2012 - 05:39 PM

Acupuncture gives instantaneous relief too. Love it.

Physio is another option but often they have to massage quite firmly.

#7 Velvetta

Posted 16 December 2012 - 05:43 PM

Oh gosh now I'm more confused! I've had acupuncture and massage before but nothing else. I'm completely open to all options.
I guess it'll come down to who can see me tomorrow or Tuesday.

#8 frizzle

Posted 16 December 2012 - 05:45 PM

I saw a great chiro in surfers when we were holidaying there. I had a pinched nerve in my back and got instant relief. I can find his details if you like.

#9 Velvetta

Posted 16 December 2012 - 05:47 PM

QUOTE (frizzle @ 16/12/2012, 05:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I saw a great chiro in surfers when we were holidaying there. I had a pinched nerve in my back and got instant relief. I can find his details if you like.

Yes please frizzle!

#10 *Spikey*

Posted 16 December 2012 - 05:50 PM

See, I wouldn't do accupuncture because I want the underlying issue fixed, rather than the pain relief effect. Unless it was for a very short term fix.

Can I also suggest that if you go Chiro, that you follow up with some massage and heat packs to loosen up the muscles? If you've been stuck for a couple of days, they are really going to tell you about it...

(and get one of those neck support pillows for the plane!!!!!)

#11 TiredbutHappy

Posted 16 December 2012 - 06:14 PM

QUOTE (Velvetta @ 16/12/2012, 06:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That instant and lasting chiro treatment sounds good howdo.

I'm in northern nsw, but I'd travel to Brisbane or the Gold Coast if necessary provided I could get an appointment in the next 2 days.

I love my chiro, but if you've never been to one an osteo might be better, they do a bit of a massage before re-aligning you.  Same ending, but the journey's just a bit smoother.

#12 SplashingRainbows

Posted 16 December 2012 - 06:17 PM

I went to my GP for a similar issue and she gave me some resistance exercises to do at home and they worked quite quickly. Significantly better the next day.

Instructions were to see a physio if the pain and inability to move neck continued after doing the excercises for  24 hours.

I was very skeptical but it did work.

I love my GP.

Op I would stick to a physio rather than chiro and ask for exercises to do at home to help.

#13 Jillian_10

Posted 16 December 2012 - 06:20 PM

I find physio to be best for getting relief. If necessary, they can tape you which can be an amazing help.

As well as having ongoing neck issues, I have had a few instances of acute wry neck and physio has been the best treatment.

I have seen chiro, osteo and acupuncturist as well (throwing everything I can at annoying neck issues) but would say a good physio is best.

#14 Spring Chickadee

Posted 16 December 2012 - 06:22 PM

I've had back and be k problems for as long as I can remember. I've seen both physios and chiros. My current Chiro gives me instant relief. My migraine will literally vanish. But there are loads of crap chiros out there so see if your friends can recommend a good one.

#15 FrogIsAFrogIsAFrog

Posted 16 December 2012 - 06:24 PM

I would go and have some ultrasound with a physio, and use a heat pack on it!

Aahhhh.... ultrasound....

#16 Velvetta

Posted 16 December 2012 - 06:34 PM

I didn't know ultrasound was a treatment; thought it was a diagnostic

Thank you for confusing me y'all! I'll see who I can get in with tomorrow.

#17 Jillian_10

Posted 16 December 2012 - 06:43 PM

Ultrasound treatments are pretty winning. Also (and this might sound stupid) take drugs! If you're taking any other medicines get to the GP and check the best drug regime to relieve the pain you are having.

I grew up with a mother who never, ever, ever drugged us with anything unless specifically prescribed by a Dr. She treated Panadol as if it was the first step in a two step process that went 1. Panadol, 2. Heroin addict.

It has taken me many years as an adult to realise that the occaisional Panadol, nurofen, voltaren or even Mersyndol can be very helpful in providing relief. I also found Panadol Osteo to be useful.

#18 Amy 1976

Posted 16 December 2012 - 07:20 PM

Your symptoms sound a bit like it could be a wry neck. A chiro or physio should be able to provide almost instant relief if it is.

Just be careful with heat packs as heat can aggravate inflammation. I strongly suggest some professional advice before using any treatment.

(I've had a wry neck before so I'm basing my suggestion on personal experience, not on any expertise in treating sore necks)

Hope you feel better soon.

#19 i-candi

Posted 16 December 2012 - 09:09 PM

When I get a stiff neck I take Voltarin and make sure I keep rolling my neck around - sort of exercising it, I push it as far as I can stand without creating heaps of pain.

#20 bluedragon

Posted 16 December 2012 - 09:48 PM

I will preface this by saying I'm quite biased as my mother is a physio  wink.gif

A physio would be the best because of the muscular involvement, they are much better at soft tissue problems than chiros. Also I wouldn't go anywhere near a Chiro for neck problems, it can be dangerous to manipulate necks, my mother no longer does this, ever. Gentle mobilisation is ok (gentle pressure to the vertebrae to increase range of movement) manipulation (where you get that crack sound) is not good for necks.

In the mean time put a heat pack on and if you have some one willing some gentle massage will help. Keep moving and possibly try some stretches if you can tolerate it.

Ultrasound used by physics is different from imaging ultrasound. It basically delivers heat (like a heat pack) deeper into the muscle. It's really good original.gif

Hope it gets better in time for your flight!

#21 Expelliarmus

Posted 16 December 2012 - 10:56 PM

The chiropractic treatment I get includes ultrasound, massage and gentle manipulation, followed by heat packs and stetching to do at home  ...

What kind of chiros are you all going to?

#22 Laborious Nicety

Posted 17 December 2012 - 12:22 AM

Some of the old school ones are brutal.  It might be effective but ouch!

#23 Velvetta

Posted 17 December 2012 - 11:40 AM

Well I saw a guy in Tweed Heads this morning, thanks to a cancellation. Very busy clinic. They took xrays (too many for my liking). They said that my neck verbebrae were going the wrong way and my left side was 9 cm higher than my right, which makes me sound like Quasimodo... and then after a quick consult I was onto a clunky bed thing and various manipulations were done, which bloody hurt and were scary.
It has eased it a bit, but there's still pain.

He said no heat packs, just cold packs and no head rolling!

I have to go back on Wednesday.

I'm thinking I'll need voltaren anyway.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Britain's youngest parents: mother 12, father 13

A 12-year-old schoolgirl and her 13-year-old boyfriend are believed to have become Britain?s youngest parents, after the birth of their baby girl earlier this week.

When Prince George met Bilby George

Prince George has met an Aussie marsupial named after him in his first official engagement in Australia.

Asphyxia link another piece of the SIDS puzzle

An Australian study has uncovered information which could lead to a better understanding of why babies die from Sudden Infant Death Syndrome.

Pregnant woman dies after doctor removes ovary instead of appendix

When a UK woman went to hospital suffering appendicitis, doctors mistakenly removed her healthy ovary - with tragic consequences.

The milestones I can't wait to celebrate

Nothing can beat the feeling of witnessing that first smile, first step and first word - but here's a list of 'firsts' I'm really looking forward to now.

How you develop in your baby's first year

Just as babies undergo rapid growth as they learn and change in their first year, we?re learning and changing quickly as parents, too. Don?t underestimate the developmental stages you go through when you have a baby.

Can you make your baby smarter even before birth?

A product new to Australia claims to help babies be born "as intelligent as possible", but not all experts agree on the benefits of educating babies while still in the womb.

How a mother's love helped unearth the skills of an autistic savant

Autistic savant Ping Lian Yeak, a prodigious artist who has had his work shown all over the world, couldn't have done it without the support and love of his proud mum.

Rescue dog Zoey and BFF Jasper star in adorable pics

Photographer, self-professed "crazy dog lady" and mum Grace Chon takes photos of rescue dog Zoey and her 10-month-old son Jasper together. The results are just too cute. See more on Instagram @thegracechon.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

A tiny heart: a baby?s death gives life to another

Simon Alexander Garcia lived only one brief hour. But somewhere, a little girl?s heart is beating today because of him.

Ear piercing: what age is best?

What is it that shapes our opinions on what?s an 'appropriate' age for our children to get their ears pierced? Parents share their views on how young is too young when it comes to piercing.

Why is childbirth still such a pain?

The options given to women to help them cope in labour have barely changed in years.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Baby sleep

From birth to one year and beyond, read about baby sleep, soothing techniques, routines, and sleep school experiences.

Easter gifts for babies, no chocolate in sight!

If this is your little one?s first Easter you might want to mark the occasion with something a little extra special. Here are 10 Easter gift ideas, which won't harm little teeth.

7 tips for a kid-free trip, not a guilt trip

Although I?m jumping out of my skin to take my child-free holiday, I?m dreading the goodbye. But I?m determined to make the most of it without tarnishing it with guilt or sadness about leaving the kids.

Itchibubs: clothes for babies and toddlers with eczema

Parents of children who suffer from eczema will know only too well the scratching that occurs around the clock. A new clothing range aims to help make everyone more comfortable.

Ear piercing: what age is best?

What is it that shapes our opinions on what?s an 'appropriate' age for our children to get their ears pierced? Parents share their views on how young is too young when it comes to piercing.

Caring for kids helps grandmothers stay mentally alert

Looking after grandchildren can help grandmothers ward off brain disease - but it's also possible to get too much of a good thing, researchers say.

Why I loved my third home water birth

After two water births at home, I was determined to give birth to my son the same way. I just hoped this birth would be quicker than my last two.

Revealed: 7 ways food marketers try to trick consumers

If you?re confused by food labels, you?re not alone. Next time you?re shopping for food, look out for these seven common labelling tricks.

'My mother-in-law found out our baby's gender behind our backs'

My husband and I mutually decided that we didn?t want to know our baby's sex before the birth, but his mother couldn't handle that.

Free Printable Activities

Keeping little hands busy

Free printable acitivity pages like colouring in, cutting, word finders, mazes, maths activities and puzzles.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.