Best treatment for sore stiff neck?
urgent!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
22 replies to this topic

#1 Velvetta

Posted 16 December 2012 - 05:23 PM

I'm asking in WDYT because I fly to New Zealand  this week, and have a lot of driving to do. For a whole week my neck and lower head at the back have been stiff and sore, the type you get from sleeping with your head in a bad position, but i have a supportive firm latex pillow that I find very comfortable.
I can't turn my head to the left or roll it without pain. It's radiating into my head so it feels like a headache.

I  have no idea what the best treatment is for it. I know it may pass with time, but I'd really like to speed it up.
So - osteopath? chiropractor? acupuncture? massage? Chinese medicine? GP?.......

Who could help?

I've had this sort of thing before but never so long lasting or severe.

Thanks in advance

#2 Expelliarmus

Posted 16 December 2012 - 05:25 PM

I have tried physio for it but find chiropractic gives instantaneous relief and lasts longer than a physiotherapy treatment - especially when it's giving me the piercing headache that makes me want to smack the other side of my head repeatedly with a hammer.

#3 Escapin

Posted 16 December 2012 - 05:27 PM

I get that reasonably frequently and my physio really helps. You do need a decent physio tho! If you're in inner west Sydney I can PM you her details...

#4 Velvetta

Posted 16 December 2012 - 05:33 PM

That instant and lasting chiro treatment sounds good howdo.

I'm in northern nsw, but I'd travel to Brisbane or the Gold Coast if necessary provided I could get an appointment in the next 2 days.

#5 Feral*Spikey*

Posted 16 December 2012 - 05:39 PM

You want either a physiotherapist or a chiropractor.

The main differences between physiotherapy and chiropractic in private practice come from the origins of each profession. While Physiotherapists evolved out of a combination of massage, manual therapy and rehabilitative exercises. Chiropractic has evolved from the use of spinal manipulations to treat pain and dysfunction.

As such, physiotherapists still tend to use more massage, manual therapy and exercises, while chiropractors tend to utilize far more manipulation during treatments.

Although the professions will always have their differences – as technology and research progress, the knowledge base of physiotherapists and chiropractors become more and more similar as both professions learn what treatments are most effective for musculoskeletal conditions and use evidence based research to guide their practice.

In either case: whether it be physio, chiro or any other treating practitioner- if you are looking for a professional to assist with the treatment of a musculoskeletal problem – The most important aspects in selecting a treating practitioner remain the same:

-The therapist should listens to you and understand your concerns and problems.
-The therapist must understand why it is important to you that the problems are addressed and corrected.
- The therapist should use only treatments that have been proven to be effective.
- The therapist should have knowledge and experience of treating similar injuries and understand how to get the best results.
- The therapist should constantly involve the patient in the process and their recovery.

I had a neck problem (couldn't look over my left shoulder) that I saw a physio for. She fixed it, and it has not returned. I prefer massage and heat to manipulation. But that's just me.

#6 Mamabear2010

Posted 16 December 2012 - 05:39 PM

Acupuncture gives instantaneous relief too. Love it.

Physio is another option but often they have to massage quite firmly.

#7 Velvetta

Posted 16 December 2012 - 05:43 PM

Oh gosh now I'm more confused! I've had acupuncture and massage before but nothing else. I'm completely open to all options.
I guess it'll come down to who can see me tomorrow or Tuesday.

#8 frizzle

Posted 16 December 2012 - 05:45 PM

I saw a great chiro in surfers when we were holidaying there. I had a pinched nerve in my back and got instant relief. I can find his details if you like.

#9 Velvetta

Posted 16 December 2012 - 05:47 PM

QUOTE (frizzle @ 16/12/2012, 05:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I saw a great chiro in surfers when we were holidaying there. I had a pinched nerve in my back and got instant relief. I can find his details if you like.

Yes please frizzle!

#10 Feral*Spikey*

Posted 16 December 2012 - 05:50 PM

See, I wouldn't do accupuncture because I want the underlying issue fixed, rather than the pain relief effect. Unless it was for a very short term fix.

Can I also suggest that if you go Chiro, that you follow up with some massage and heat packs to loosen up the muscles? If you've been stuck for a couple of days, they are really going to tell you about it...

(and get one of those neck support pillows for the plane!!!!!)

#11 Gumbette

Posted 16 December 2012 - 06:14 PM

QUOTE (Velvetta @ 16/12/2012, 06:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That instant and lasting chiro treatment sounds good howdo.

I'm in northern nsw, but I'd travel to Brisbane or the Gold Coast if necessary provided I could get an appointment in the next 2 days.

I love my chiro, but if you've never been to one an osteo might be better, they do a bit of a massage before re-aligning you.  Same ending, but the journey's just a bit smoother.

#12 SplashingRainbows

Posted 16 December 2012 - 06:17 PM

I went to my GP for a similar issue and she gave me some resistance exercises to do at home and they worked quite quickly. Significantly better the next day.

Instructions were to see a physio if the pain and inability to move neck continued after doing the excercises for  24 hours.

I was very skeptical but it did work.

I love my GP.

Op I would stick to a physio rather than chiro and ask for exercises to do at home to help.

#13 Tarantara

Posted 16 December 2012 - 06:20 PM

I find physio to be best for getting relief. If necessary, they can tape you which can be an amazing help.

As well as having ongoing neck issues, I have had a few instances of acute wry neck and physio has been the best treatment.

I have seen chiro, osteo and acupuncturist as well (throwing everything I can at annoying neck issues) but would say a good physio is best.

#14 Spring Chickadee

Posted 16 December 2012 - 06:22 PM

I've had back and be k problems for as long as I can remember. I've seen both physios and chiros. My current Chiro gives me instant relief. My migraine will literally vanish. But there are loads of crap chiros out there so see if your friends can recommend a good one.

#15 Fr0g

Posted 16 December 2012 - 06:24 PM

I would go and have some ultrasound with a physio, and use a heat pack on it!

Aahhhh.... ultrasound....

#16 Velvetta

Posted 16 December 2012 - 06:34 PM

I didn't know ultrasound was a treatment; thought it was a diagnostic

Thank you for confusing me y'all! I'll see who I can get in with tomorrow.

#17 Tarantara

Posted 16 December 2012 - 06:43 PM

Ultrasound treatments are pretty winning. Also (and this might sound stupid) take drugs! If you're taking any other medicines get to the GP and check the best drug regime to relieve the pain you are having.

I grew up with a mother who never, ever, ever drugged us with anything unless specifically prescribed by a Dr. She treated Panadol as if it was the first step in a two step process that went 1. Panadol, 2. Heroin addict.

It has taken me many years as an adult to realise that the occaisional Panadol, nurofen, voltaren or even Mersyndol can be very helpful in providing relief. I also found Panadol Osteo to be useful.

#18 Amy 1976

Posted 16 December 2012 - 07:20 PM

Your symptoms sound a bit like it could be a wry neck. A chiro or physio should be able to provide almost instant relief if it is.

Just be careful with heat packs as heat can aggravate inflammation. I strongly suggest some professional advice before using any treatment.

(I've had a wry neck before so I'm basing my suggestion on personal experience, not on any expertise in treating sore necks)

Hope you feel better soon.

#19 i-candi

Posted 16 December 2012 - 09:09 PM

When I get a stiff neck I take Voltarin and make sure I keep rolling my neck around - sort of exercising it, I push it as far as I can stand without creating heaps of pain.

#20 bluedragon

Posted 16 December 2012 - 09:48 PM

I will preface this by saying I'm quite biased as my mother is a physio  wink.gif

A physio would be the best because of the muscular involvement, they are much better at soft tissue problems than chiros. Also I wouldn't go anywhere near a Chiro for neck problems, it can be dangerous to manipulate necks, my mother no longer does this, ever. Gentle mobilisation is ok (gentle pressure to the vertebrae to increase range of movement) manipulation (where you get that crack sound) is not good for necks.

In the mean time put a heat pack on and if you have some one willing some gentle massage will help. Keep moving and possibly try some stretches if you can tolerate it.

Ultrasound used by physics is different from imaging ultrasound. It basically delivers heat (like a heat pack) deeper into the muscle. It's really good original.gif

Hope it gets better in time for your flight!

#21 Expelliarmus

Posted 16 December 2012 - 10:56 PM

The chiropractic treatment I get includes ultrasound, massage and gentle manipulation, followed by heat packs and stetching to do at home  ...

What kind of chiros are you all going to?

#22 Feral Nicety

Posted 17 December 2012 - 12:22 AM

Some of the old school ones are brutal.  It might be effective but ouch!

#23 Velvetta

Posted 17 December 2012 - 11:40 AM

Well I saw a guy in Tweed Heads this morning, thanks to a cancellation. Very busy clinic. They took xrays (too many for my liking). They said that my neck verbebrae were going the wrong way and my left side was 9 cm higher than my right, which makes me sound like Quasimodo... and then after a quick consult I was onto a clunky bed thing and various manipulations were done, which bloody hurt and were scary.
It has eased it a bit, but there's still pain.

He said no heat packs, just cold packs and no head rolling!

I have to go back on Wednesday.

I'm thinking I'll need voltaren anyway.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Special offer: The Baby & Toddler Show 2014

At The Baby & Toddler Show, you?ll find everything you need to get ready for your new arrival and guide you through the early weeks and years of parenting.

An open letter to Tony Abbott: please salvage our super

We face financial ruin, but most of us don?t realise it. If we don?t act together to salvage our superannuation, I have no doubt the new GFC will be the Girls? Financial Crisis.

'I'm happy to know I'm changing lives': surrogate mum of two

I know that once the baby is born, I will focus on the gift I have given, and watch the parents with their new child. I can't wait for that day.

Birth trauma and the issue of informed consent

There is a perception that women should just be happy they have a healthy baby in their arms. But for women who experienced birth trauma, there's a lot more to it.

Tips for managing pollen allergies and hayfever

They're simple tips, but they can have a big impact on those who suffer from hayfever and pollen allergies.

Ada Nicodemou shares tribute to her stillborn baby

Just over one month since Ada Nicodemou and her husband lost their second son, the Home and Away star has shared a touching poem for her baby.

Mum causes stir breastfeeding on train

?To the woman breastfeeding her kid on the train. Seriously! On the train?" began the letter of complaint.

10 things they don?t tell you about being pregnant

As I slowly waddle my ever-changing pregnant body towards the finishing line of my due date, it?s becoming increasingly clear there are a lot of things they just don?t tell you about pregnancy.

Overcoming a fear of the dark

A toddler's fear of the dark is very normal, but there are ways parents can help children through this stage in their development.

Kids, TV and movies: how young is too young?

It seems you don't have to throw the TV and iPad out the window - it all boils down to moderation, supervision and interaction.

Video: Baby's first birthday is a special day for mum, too

?A baby?s first birthday is also mum?s first birthday.?

The day Supernanny came to tea

Prince William's favourite celebrity child trainer Jo Frost puts Bryony Gordon and her toddler through their paces.

Tales from the homefront

When you're at work you sort of assume that your house is basically just sitting there quietly doing nothing until you return. However, since spending my days at home, I've learned this couldn't be further from the truth.

The words I hated hearing as new mum

It was less than a week after my son was born that I first heard it - from my mother.

To the pharmacist who sold me baby formula

On the rare occasion I catch sight of you at school, or around town, I think back to our earliest exchange. I?m sure you have no recollection of it at all.

Babies may benefit from autism therapy

Children showing signs of autism don't usually receive early intervention until well into toddlerhood or later, but a new study suggests infants with symptoms of the developmental disorder might benefit from therapy from as early as six months.

Knatalye and Adeline born with an everlasting bond

Knatalye Hope and Adeline Faith are a lot like any other identical twin girls, but there is one dramatic difference: they're joined at the chest and shares several internal organs.

The question this dad wishes he'd asked his wife

I should have seen that my wife wasn't the same person I'd fallen in love with, but we were both too focused on simply trying to get by.

Why we should talk about the deaths of the Hunt children

The deaths are too horrible even to think about. Yet we owe it to the children - Fletcher, Mia and Phoebe Hunt - to think long and hard about it all.

Baby dies of meningococcal weeks after vaccine application denied

A six-month-old girl has died from meningococcal disease just weeks after an application for government funding of a vaccine for the most deadly strain of the virus was rejected.

Finding the right balance when playing with your kids

Being too involved in our children?s play and not allowing our kids enough free time for unstructured activities can mean our kids miss out on the value that play offers.

Creative DIY light shades

The Pop Light light shade comes in a flat pack already made - it's up to you to design it as you'd like.

The battle of iParenting versus imagination

Have we forgotten how to be imaginative, resourceful parents?

Why movement is so important for your baby's growth

Letting your child move as much as possible in the early years ? using all senses, engaging in the real world, preferably outside ? will help them grow up healthier, smarter, calmer and stronger.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Special offer: The Baby & Toddler Show 2014

At The Baby & Toddler Show, you?ll find everything you need to get ready for your new arrival and guide you through the early weeks and years of parenting.

Losing yourself to motherhood

While watching your baby grow into a unique little person is exciting and wondrous, the intensity of meeting everyone else?s needs can ever so sneakily overtake your own needs for self-care.

Tearing during delivery: the facts

Almost all women will experience bruising, grazing or tearing after a vaginal birth. Depending on the degree of tearing, there are various treatments available.

6 tips for a day out with a baby and toddler

Outings can be lots of fun with the kids, but there are inevitable challenges. Here's some information about days out to help you be a little more prepared.

Why I invited a dozen people to watch my son's birth

I sent invitations on burgundy scrapbooking paper stamped with a field of poppies, and told each person why I wanted him or her there. I warned that there would be nudity.

Getting labour started: tips for a natural induction

When your baby?s due date comes and goes without so much as a pop - let alone a bang - it can be disheartening. Mums and a doula share their stories of natural inductions.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

That's my boy: a dad's diary of the first 4 months

Unbearable anxiety, unspeakable joy, constant exhaustion and bouts of frustration ... The many shocks of first-time fatherhood resound in a dad's diary of his son's early months.

One of the most important things a new mum can do

Finances may not be as cute as a newborn, but with many women?s working arrangements changing post-baby, monetary matters need attention too.

Baby survives five days alone

He lay with his mother for up to five days after she died of a suspected drug overdose - and survived.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Reader offer

2 FOR 1 TICKET OFFER

For Shopping, For Advice, For Baby & You. Enjoy a special day out with fabulous shopping from over 200 brands, leading parenting experts offering advice on a range of topics, and amazing children?s entertainment

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.