Tubal ligation during c section

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 *MaybeBaby*

Posted 16 December 2012 - 08:05 AM

Hi everyone,
I am 15 weeks pregnant with number two and DH and I know that we only want to children.  I have to have a c section for medical reasons so was considering having a tubal ligation done during the surgery,  I just have a few questions.Has anyone had this done? And if so can you tell me how it went original.gif Will they do this as a public patient in QLD?
Thanks ladies original.gif

#2 B.3

Posted 16 December 2012 - 08:14 AM

We don't want any more either OP. I was going to choose this method of permanent contraception but decided against due to some negativity in a similar thread I started (not on this forum) a few years ago.

There were a LOT of regrets. Not because they changed their minds and wanted more kids but because of the side effects that are rare and not suppose to happen but many seemed to anyway.

Sorry, I have no direct experience though and I hope you get some answers and you are able to come to a solid decision.

#3 *MaybeBaby*

Posted 16 December 2012 - 08:29 AM

Thanks for the reply Bek.  I have found that the hormonal methods of birth control seem to be giving me ore and more side effects and I am happiest and feel best when not on any.  Condoms are not a long term option for us and I figured if I have to have the operation anyway it might be the perfect time.  I will Lso talk to my care team but am interested in any other experiences too.

#4 Chasing*Rainbows

Posted 16 December 2012 - 08:41 AM

I also had my tubes done whilst having a c-section. Had it done as a public patient in a public hospital in Victoria after I had my son (baby number 5). Biggest mistake I ever made. I spent 8 years bleeding for 3 weeks a month, experiencing the worst cramps I've ever had in my life and mood swings that were beyond bad. It got so bad that we'd discussed having a hysterectomy to get rid of the bleeding. I ended up having a reversal in 2010 (we want one more baby) and now I average a 24 day cycle with minimal mid cycle bleeding (generally around ovulation) and I'm nowhere near as moody as I was.

If I had my time again and knew what I knew now I would have definitely looked at other options.

#5 fruitbat72

Posted 16 December 2012 - 08:47 AM

I had a tubal ligation with my last section in the public system (NSW). We had finished our family and the Pill was doing my head in

I can see no reason why they would not do this if you wanted it - there is an increased risk of failure when it is done during a section due to swelling however. It does save you another procedure down the track though

#6 LoT

Posted 16 December 2012 - 08:51 AM

I plan to do this in 2 weeks when I have baby No3. My Obstetrician said those who experience major cramps had previously been on the pill.

#7 Cyaira

Posted 16 December 2012 - 08:53 AM

It's worth talking to your partner about the snip as an option too.

#8 Tooties

Posted 16 December 2012 - 08:55 AM

I'm also planning on doing this in 2 weeks with baby number 3.  I've been told the risks are a higher risk of failure due to swelling as well as an increased recovery time and greater bleeding.  To deal with the higher failure risk and increased bleeding risk I'm planning on having a mirena put in once I'm healed after the surgery.  

#9 Pearson

Posted 16 December 2012 - 01:35 PM

Had it with dd, no problems over 2years down the track.
I, like you, had massive issues with hormonal contraception.

Eta - didn't answer your question - was public at rbwh, no issues switch my age, was 34.

Edited by Pearson, 16 December 2012 - 01:36 PM.

#10 MuminMtEliza

Posted 16 December 2012 - 01:49 PM

I was going to get this done when I had my Caesar 12 months ago, however my OB wouldn't do the procedure if the baby was prem (my DD was 5 weeks prem). He explained that the way he did the procedure was permanent, there was absolutely no chance of reversal and if your baby was going o NICU / SCN it was a risk he didn't want to take.

#11 Cath42

Posted 16 December 2012 - 01:58 PM

I had my tubes tied after my fourth caesarian, straight after my fourth child was born. It was fine. I was in theatre for about half an hour longer than I otherwise would have been and during that time I was so busy looking at my son that the time flew. I was a private patient in a public hospital (Royal Hospital for Women in Sydney) and everything went well. It honestly felt no different to having a basic caesarian, and it didn't take me any longer to recover than it had taken me the previous three times. I was told that it wouldn't matter whether I was public or private; they were quite happy to tie tubes upon request for women who had more than one child.

I've had no problems since and as far as I know the operation worked!

#12 Lucretia Borgia

Posted 16 December 2012 - 02:01 PM

QUOTE (Cath42 @ 16/12/2012, 02:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I had my tubes tied after my fourth caesarian, straight after my fourth child was born. It was fine. I was in theatre for about half an hour longer than I otherwise would have been and during that time I was so busy looking at my son that the time flew. I was a private patient in a public hospital (Royal Hospital for Women in Sydney) and everything went well. It honestly felt no different to having a basic caesarian, and it didn't take me any longer to recover than it had taken me the previous three times. I was told that it wouldn't matter whether I was public or private; they were quite happy to tie tubes upon request for women who had more than one child.

I've had no problems since and as far as I know the operation worked!

This is me too! All went well....no nasty side effects....

#13 tle

Posted 16 December 2012 - 02:04 PM

I had this done after my last babies were born (twins by c-section). It was actually my ob that suggested  it given I was 37 and the twins were babies 4 and 5.

I was advised there were no side effects but that turned  out to be wrong. My periods increased from 6 days to 12 days long and were very very heavy for the first 8 days. I was ending up exhausted every month so ended up having a mirena inserted to stop the bleeding. I now have no problems. I wish I had of known that heavy, long periods was a side affect beforehand though. My ob tried to tell me that it was probably just because I was on the pill before (which I wasn't) or that it was just because I was getting older and my body was changing. I guess that's possible but it seems to happen to so many women.

All in all though, with the  Mirena everything seems fine so it doesn't botherme that much.

#14 lazycow

Posted 16 December 2012 - 02:27 PM

I had it done following the birth of DD2 in March 2011. Before my tubal I had a 28 day cycle, it never changed from when I first started when I was 14, and following the births of my 3 previous children. After  the tubal my period is completely screwed. My cycle is now between 23 and 30 days, extremely painful and heavier than it has ever been, I also spot for about a week after my period had finished. I have spoken to my GP and have a referral for a reversal in Jan/Feb next year.

I do sometimes wonder if maybe I have talked my self into having a crappy cycle now, because I never really wanted it done. (My OB and DP talked me into it, as it was my 3rd C-section). I also realised I wanted another baby, as does DP.

I suppose what I'm saying is, It is an effective method of contraception, but you need to be 1000% sure, as it is an expensive mistake as I'm now finding out.

#15 Jillian75

Posted 16 December 2012 - 03:02 PM

I had a tubal ligation performed during my c-section with twins in December 2008 at a public hospital as a public patient in Victoria.

I was fully informed of the side effects but thought I'd be fine.  How wrong was I!!  Prior to being pregnant with the twins, my periods were fairly regular (only out occasionally by a couple of days) and I rarely had period pain.  After the procedure, my periods were all over the shop, were much, much heavier,  lasted a hell of a lot longer (previously lasted 5 days, after anywhere from 2-3 weeks), and I always ended up with really bad pain on the first day.

I began taking the contraceptive pill in August of this year for my skin and it also helped to sort my cycles out and stop the pain.  Unfortunately, I had to stop the pill last month due to blood clots (never had this problem before when on the pill)  So far, the pain is minimal, and the blood loss, not as bad, but then, I only stopped taking it a month ago.  I must say though, (referring to myself here) what's the point of having your damn tubes tied if you've got to go on the pill to control the bleeding?!!

If I had my time again, I would have insisted that my husband have the snip.  (He now wishes he had it done too)

#16 gizboo

Posted 20 December 2012 - 10:13 AM

I had mine done at the time of my 4th c/s.
My cycles have returned to normal, and I haven't had any issues almost 2yrs down the track.

#17 PrincessPeach

Posted 20 December 2012 - 10:17 AM

It all depends how old you are.

One of my colleagues asked for it to be done after she had her 3rd baby (public hospital in Qld), but because she is under 30 (she is only 26 actually) & doesn't have any "issues", they wont do it. They told her to come & see themwhen she turned 35.

#18 IsolaBella

Posted 20 December 2012 - 10:21 AM

I thought of this but my OB did not recommend cs as the time as their can be problems which mean that it does not work properly. Also my chosen hospital was a catholic one and the procedure could not b done there.

I am on implanon ATM and will be sending DH for the snip.

#19 Princess.cranky.pants

Posted 20 December 2012 - 10:45 AM

I went public in QLD. I was offered a TL when I was PG with #3. But I was over 40 and had 3 kids.

I did not get it done, risks of side affects was just too high for me. My OB told me there are no risks but I dispute that. Heavy, prolonged bleeding is common after a TL. Hysterectomy can be the only option to control the heavy bleeding. A friend of mine bleeds for up to 24 days each cycle and has chronic depression since her TL. She really regrets having it done.

Google Tubal Ligation Syndrome.

There is a higher risk of the TL failing when done at the same time as a C-section.

DH and I felt that him getting the snip was the much less risky option.

#20 Jaimdee

Posted 20 December 2012 - 10:56 AM

I'm in Qld.  Like others have said - higher risk of failure when done at c-sect.  They also don't like to do women under 35.  My reason for having it then was compelling (fourth child & i have a child with a physical disability and could not have gone through another op requiring 6 weeks of no lifting) and the hospital agreed.
My periods are now heavier than pre-TL.  But still manageable.

#21 sarahs_three

Posted 20 December 2012 - 10:59 AM

I'm another who had to take the pill after my TL. My periods were terrible after it, I would flood pads and have like 3 weeks of bleeding then 4 weeks off. I had bleeding once for 3 months straight and that's when I had to take tablets to try stop it which took 3 goes at, I then went on levlen Ed. The worst part is doctors arguing that it can't be from the TL as there isn't any side effects. I'd seriously consider the snip for hubby as an ulternative. I end up getting my tubes untied and have since not had any issues.

#22 hellsmail

Posted 20 December 2012 - 11:06 AM

I had it done when my youngest son was born by emergancy C Section.  I had talked to the midwives so they knew but then had to convince the dr doing the operation.  Quite funny have a Discussion with a Dr while my stomach was open.  He said it wasn't as effectiveve but when I told him I was 40 and had taken 18mths to get pregnant this time and the baby was happy.  I also had to promise to love any kid that came along if the op didn't work.  No new baby turned up, Best descion I had made,  I had been using barrier methods for years so it was easy and then I went into menapause a few  yrs later. I have not suffered any side affects

#23 mylittlemen

Posted 20 December 2012 - 11:16 AM

QUOTE (taranicole @ 16/12/2012, 02:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My OB advised against this for me - his reasoning was that it was permanent and it would mean if the baby died we wouldn't be able to have any more children. He had that happen to a patient around the time I seeing him - so was very wary and I appreciated his honesty.

This was the reason it was against hospital policy in the overseas public hospital where I had my children. I asked and was told no as they had had more than one baby die / discovered to have serious, life threatening issues and by the time the paed discovered this, the op had already been done.

#24 opethmum

Posted 20 December 2012 - 11:27 AM

I would err on the side of caution and leave the tubal ligation for a separate procedure. Recovery after c/section is enough and to deal with such complex emotions after a birth some times tubal ligation can send people over the edge. I would just concentrate on the birth and recovery and then once things have settled down then perhaps then explore permanent contraceptive options.

#25 DandS

Posted 20 December 2012 - 11:47 AM

I had this done during my 3rd C/S. No issues since - recovery wasnt any different after the C/S, and I couldnt be happier about having had it done. Have normal length cycles, and no heavier than previously. I had it done as a public patient (in Vic though), and it was actually the hospital that raised it first with me and asked whether Id like it done.

I did read up a fair bit before going ahead, as I had heard about some negative experiences, but I also discussed with friends IRL who had had it done (and hadnt had issues), and decided to go ahead based on that.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Britain's youngest parents: mother 12, father 13

A 12-year-old schoolgirl and her 13-year-old boyfriend are believed to have become Britain?s youngest parents, after the birth of their baby girl earlier this week.

When Prince George met Bilby George

Prince George has met an Aussie marsupial named after him in his first official engagement in Australia.

Asphyxia link another piece of the SIDS puzzle

An Australian study has uncovered information which could lead to a better understanding of why babies die from Sudden Infant Death Syndrome.

Pregnant woman dies after doctor removes ovary instead of appendix

When a UK woman went to hospital suffering appendicitis, doctors mistakenly removed her healthy ovary - with tragic consequences.

The milestones I can't wait to celebrate

Nothing can beat the feeling of witnessing that first smile, first step and first word - but here's a list of 'firsts' I'm really looking forward to now.

How you develop in your baby's first year

Just as babies undergo rapid growth as they learn and change in their first year, we?re learning and changing quickly as parents, too. Don?t underestimate the developmental stages you go through when you have a baby.

Can you make your baby smarter even before birth?

A product new to Australia claims to help babies be born "as intelligent as possible", but not all experts agree on the benefits of educating babies while still in the womb.

How a mother's love helped unearth the skills of an autistic savant

Autistic savant Ping Lian Yeak, a prodigious artist who has had his work shown all over the world, couldn't have done it without the support and love of his proud mum.

Rescue dog Zoey and BFF Jasper star in adorable pics

Photographer, self-professed "crazy dog lady" and mum Grace Chon takes photos of rescue dog Zoey and her 10-month-old son Jasper together. The results are just too cute. See more on Instagram @thegracechon.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

A tiny heart: a baby?s death gives life to another

Simon Alexander Garcia lived only one brief hour. But somewhere, a little girl?s heart is beating today because of him.

Ear piercing: what age is best?

What is it that shapes our opinions on what?s an 'appropriate' age for our children to get their ears pierced? Parents share their views on how young is too young when it comes to piercing.

Why is childbirth still such a pain?

The options given to women to help them cope in labour have barely changed in years.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Ideas for recording baby milestones

Get the props, lights and camera ready to record the milestone moments in your baby's first months and years. Tip: set a reminder in your phone (or jot it in a calendar) to make sure you remember it every month.

From penis amputation to fatherhood

After a botched circumcision as a child, Mike Moore was left without a penis. Years later, and after meeting the right surgeon, he was able to become a dad - naturally.

Asphyxia link another piece of the SIDS puzzle

An Australian study has uncovered information which could lead to a better understanding of why babies die from Sudden Infant Death Syndrome.

Your baby's first shoes, made with your own hands

Imagine someone saying to you, "Your baby?s shoes are magnificent, where?d you get them?" And you reply, "Oh, these? I made them."

Mother bites off pit bull's ear to save toddler

What would you do if your child was being attacked by a vicious dog? One mother recently had to learn the hard way.

Couple dies 15 hours apart after 70 years of marriage

A couple who held hands at breakfast every morning even after 70 years of marriage have died 15 hours apart.

Behind the scenes of Kate and George's cuddly photo

Every face is partially obscured, but there's no denying the happiness and love in the faces of the royal mum and bub.

7 tips for a kid-free trip, not a guilt trip

Although I?m jumping out of my skin to take my child-free holiday, I?m dreading the goodbye. But I?m determined to make the most of it without tarnishing it with guilt or sadness about leaving the kids.

Your baby?s developmental roadmap

Caring for your new baby can feel like driving along a dark highway without a GPS: you know your destination ? a happy, healthy human being ? but you?re not sure whether you?re heading in the right direction.

Breaking out of the isolation of motherhood

There can be many reasons for mummy isolation ? and you don?t have to be a new mother to feel like you're often doing it all alone. Here, mums share their stories of feeling isolated, and what they do to try to break out of it.

The billionaire baby with $10,000 worth of prams

When money is no object you can go all out when it comes to baby transportation, as this billionaire socialite has shown.

Medication helps depressed mums to breastfeed

Breastfeeding mums are often told their medication may pass into their milk, but a new study suggests the benefits of taking antidepressants are greater than any risks to baby.

Free Printable Activities

Keeping little hands busy

Free printable acitivity pages like colouring in, cutting, word finders, mazes, maths activities and puzzles.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.