Telling before 12 weeks

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Lcasey

Posted 16 December 2012 - 07:06 AM

Hi all original.gif it looks like my MIL is going to come visit from interstate and take the kids one at a time to visit the IL's cattle farm from around Boxing Day. They love it there and we love the break. So that's not the problem.

The problem is that I'm going to be 12w on the 9/1, I've had 2 mc, and didn't want to say anything until January, just in case. But with MIL coming to visit, there is only two ways she is going to take the way I am at the moment: I'm pregnant or seriously sick/lazy. I've known her for 10+ years and am sure of this.

DH is letting me choose what I feel comfortable with but has suggested telling her before she comes (she's under the impression that more than 2 kids is psychotic and is not going to be afraid to speak her mind) so she has time to get over it before she comes. She also scares me a little as she is very dominant and treats us like she thinks we're still teens a lot of the time.

This said, the cattle farm employs 20+ people not including DH's aunts, uncles and grandparents that live and work there too. The kids would find out via station gossip. I want them to find out from us, but I also don't know what I'd tell them or how much they would understand if I lost this one too.

This said, I'm not sure what would be better, letting her think for now I'm lazy/ sick with a possibility she works it out, or telling her and risk something bad happening on top of having to deal with her overt views, having to deal with telling them we lost it. I'm not sure how supportive the IL would be in that case. I'm at a bit of a loss as to what wold be the better way to handle this. So I guess I'm looking for what others might think they'd do in similar circumstances. Tia cheers

#2 Jenferal

Posted 16 December 2012 - 07:15 AM

Personally I'd keep quiet. I'm not a fan of telling before 12 weeks, but that's me.
I have no problems with someone thinking I'm lazy, cos I am!
You could claim a flu or virus easily. And after you do tell her your pregnant then she'll hopefully be understanding. If not, bugger her!

#3 Feral Mozzie

Posted 16 December 2012 - 07:16 AM

Ug, we had similar concerns around Mothers Day, and I remember the dilemma (in the end, we told).

If you don't tell her now, but tell her in early January when you hit 12 weeks, she will figure out the reason for your previous "laziness". So her view will only be short term, then you can explain why you were acting the way you were. Obviously, if the pregnancy doesn't work out this won't be the case.

But honestly, it sounds like this woman is impossible to please. Who is she to tell you how many children you are allowed to have? My parents in law treat us like teenagers too, and our response has been to stop pandering to them. Somehow, it actually seems to be changing their behavior somewhat.

#4 CountryFeral

Posted 16 December 2012 - 07:20 AM

I wouldn't tell, and let her think I was lazy for a few weeks.

Definitely sounds the less complicated option.

#5 epl0822

Posted 16 December 2012 - 07:23 AM

Sounds like it'll be less complicated to deny pregnancy and let her sit on her suspicions.

#6 Freddie'sMum

Posted 16 December 2012 - 07:27 AM

When I was pregnant with DD#2 - the receptionist at my work guessed before I had told anyone.  I wanted to wait to the 12 week mark - but I was hardly going to deny it.

In your case, I would not tell directly unless asked.

#7 Escapin

Posted 16 December 2012 - 07:31 AM

Don't tell. She can think whatever she likes.

#8 namie

Posted 16 December 2012 - 07:40 AM

I wouldn't tell. I prefer to wait until after the 12 week mark.

I'd rather she think I was lazy (who cares about her incorrect assumptions) or sick. Your DH can beck you up by letting her know you've been a bit unwell which isn't a lie for most people in the early stages.

#9 ReadySetRace

Posted 16 December 2012 - 07:58 AM

I would tell your kids before she comes and then tell her when she comes. At almost 10 weeks and feeling so sick this is likely to be a successful pregnancy. Tell her in a positive way and don't take any negative discussion. "It's our decision, its a much wanted baby and we are thrilled".

I told our kids and family at 6 weeks each time.

#10 Missy Shelby

Posted 16 December 2012 - 08:08 AM

TBH she sounds nosey and opinionated, don't tell her and just wait until 12 weeks.

Because of your previous mc I think you would feel more comfortable waiting until then.

Also fact that once she knows she would be telling everyone, would make me keep my news to myself for longer.

#11 ScarfaceClaw

Posted 16 December 2012 - 08:08 AM

I had to tell at work, I work in PICU and we had a couple of babies with infections that could cause miscarriage, so given I was telling people who weren't my family at 6 weeks I was pregnant, we told all our family early too.

I'd be inclined in your situation to maybe say you thought you had the flu, when you eventually come out and say you are pregnant, depending on how long she's there for.

In the end I had an honesty policy, don't tell, don't lie if asked directly.

#12 zingy

Posted 16 December 2012 - 08:16 AM

I am in the exact same position as you are.

I will be 12 weeks on the 9th Jan too.

We just lost a bub at 29 weeks in August and we haven't told anyone about this pregnancy (it was a massive surprise). I have a history of first trimester loss as well.

We have family coming to Melbourne for Christmas and I'm not sure what to do either!

I'm not ready to handle peoples reaction to this pregnancy and I feel like I want to tell my kids but then I don't want them to have to handle disappointment again if something goes wrong.

I'm thinking that the sick and lazy idea wins over telling your MIL...don't worry about what she thinks of you right now, you can explain it all later. Lay it on thick, like you've had a terrible food poisoning incident that is just hanging around...I think I might do this too.

All the best and fingers crossed for smooth sailing ahead.

#13 FeralProudSwahili

Posted 16 December 2012 - 08:52 AM

I'd wait until the 12 week scan before telling her.

#14 starfire

Posted 16 December 2012 - 10:12 AM

I wouldn't mention your pregnancy to MIL, it sounds like she would make it more complicated for you if you did tell.

We had the same problem with if we should tell my family or not that I was pregnant as we knew that they wouldn't hold back and most definitely wouldn't react well to the news. I caved and ended up telling them the news early as soon as I found out I was pregnant with the slim hope of them being supportive. The news backfired and they abused me telling me that it was a stupid mistake. I regretted it as it took the joy out of sharing the news.

In your case, I think it would be better to let them have the impression that you are lazy for a few more weeks. Stuff them! All the best of luck!

#15 Funwith3

Posted 16 December 2012 - 10:20 AM

Can't you tell her and rely on her to keep it to herself for the time being? Do her entire group of staff have to know too!? And in the same sentence that you tell her just say "we're so excited and when we tell the kids they will be thrilled too...they've wanted a brother or sister for so long". Then let her say what she wants and just shrug it off.

#16 YodaTheWrinkledOne

Posted 16 December 2012 - 01:09 PM

If you weren't planning on telling her before 12 weeks, then I probably wouldn't change the plan.  Just don't volunteer information.  But if she asks you (or your DH) outright, I also wouldn't lie. Once you tell her, you'd need to tell the kids immediately.  Is there any reason you can't tell the kids now anyway??  (Are they old enough to keep their mouths shut?)

If she has a go at you once she finds out, simply say that you knew she wouldn't be supportive and you don't need her negativity, and if she's got nothing nice to say, you'd prefer her to keep it to herself.  And then don't engage in conversation until she starts to behave appropriately.  Mind you, I would actually expect/want your DH to say all of that to his own mother, not you.

I suspect she only treats you like teenagers because it's a habit behaviour for both her, your DH and now you.  Break the habit.

#17 au*lit

Posted 16 December 2012 - 01:47 PM

OP, while my family circumstances aren't the same, I am in a similar situation. I am 8.5 weeks and will be heading home for Christmas. I'll be 10 weeks on Christmas day. It will be pretty noticeable to everyone that I won't be drinking. I can't even use the excuse of driving because my DH hardly drinks (usually has one or none) and always drives.

I've got my first OB appointment tomorrow and I think if everything goes well then (she will do an ultrasound) then we may as well tell everyone early. If it was any other time of year, then we'd wait until the 12 week mark.

If it were me in your shoes, I'd tell the kids before MIL arrives, and tell her when she gets there. Stay positive and tell her how much you want this baby. There's no point in her telling you three kids is madness because number three is already on its way. You can tell her as much.

#18 SusieGreen

Posted 16 December 2012 - 02:08 PM

QUOTE (doctorseuss @ 16/12/2012, 08:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I would tell your kids before she comes and then tell her when she comes. At almost 10 weeks and feeling so sick this is likely to be a successful pregnancy. Tell her in a positive way and don't take any negative discussion. "It's our decision, its a much wanted baby and we are thrilled".

I told our kids and family at 6 weeks each time.

From extensive experience, this is so not true.

I wouldn't tell. You sound like you kinda want to though. Or have her 'guess'. If that's the case tell. Otherwise, don't. Good luck with whatever you do  original.gif

#19 Lcasey

Posted 16 December 2012 - 02:46 PM

Thanks to everyone who replied, I very much appreciate your opinions. She is a wonderful woman, yes hard to please, but her heart is usually in the right place, (she reminds me of Marie from Everybody loves Raymond. Makes me very glad to have roughly 2000 km between us. I am still undecided, but i think I'm leaning towards don't volunteer, don't lie.  
QUOTE (Funwith3 @ 16/12/2012, 10:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Can't you tell her and rely on her to keep it to herself for the time being? Do her entire group of staff have to know too!?

They live in a very spread out, but sparsely populated community. Everyone knows when someone has a cold. And either way, I'm fairly sure she would talk about it. Either to brag if she surprises us and is happy for us, or to vent to DH's aunt and grandmother (her SIL and mother) and GMIL is a terrible gossip. Though I might be able to convince her to keep it to herself for a couple of weeks. Though that's a gamble.

QUOTE (YodaTheWrinkledOne @ 16/12/2012, 01:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
...Once you tell her, you'd need to tell the kids immediately.  Is there any reason you can't tell the kids now anyway??  (Are they old enough to keep their mouths shut?)

...Mind you, I would actually expect/want your DH to say all of that to his own mother, not you.

I suspect she only treats you like teenagers because it's a habit behaviour for both her, your DH and now you.  Break the habit.

The Kids have been asking for a baby for a long time and they haven't developed the whole keep a secret yet. If they know, everyone from Nana to the local coffee shop owner will know.

DH was going to do all the talking. His mum, his responsibility to tell her, the same with my parents are my responsibility. Its the way it has been with the boys as well. He was giving me the choice of when.

I think you are on to something about her perception though. I met her when we were in year 7 and growing up, MIL was a fiercely independent single mother. So she's had to be strong. She just takes the theme too far. I think we've had a bit of trouble moving past that point on all sides.

QUOTE (au*lit @ 16/12/2012, 01:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
...There's no point in her telling you three kids is madness because number three is already on its way.

Good point wink.gif I think I'll use something like this if she start whenever we do tell her.

Edited by Lcasey, 16 December 2012 - 02:49 PM.

#20 IsolaBella

Posted 16 December 2012 - 02:52 PM

I would not tell. I listened to mum telling me I was lazy on an overseas trip, even avoided directly answering an " are you PG?" Question and told on schedule. Very happy to do that as the week I arrived home I had heavy bleeding and was put on bed rest. Told everyone at 12 wks as planned.

Eta it was also my third.

Edited by lsolaBella, 16 December 2012 - 02:54 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Special offer: The Baby & Toddler Show 2014

At The Baby & Toddler Show, you?ll find everything you need to get ready for your new arrival and guide you through the early weeks and years of parenting.

An open letter to Tony Abbott: please salvage our super

We face financial ruin, but most of us don?t realise it. If we don?t act together to salvage our superannuation, I have no doubt the new GFC will be the Girls? Financial Crisis.

'I'm happy to know I'm changing lives': surrogate mum of two

I know that once the baby is born, I will focus on the gift I have given, and watch the parents with their new child. I can't wait for that day.

Birth trauma and the issue of informed consent

There is a perception that women should just be happy they have a healthy baby in their arms. But for women who experienced birth trauma, there's a lot more to it.

Tips for managing pollen allergies and hayfever

They're simple tips, but they can have a big impact on those who suffer from hayfever and pollen allergies.

Ada Nicodemou shares tribute to her stillborn baby

Just over one month since Ada Nicodemou and her husband lost their second son, the Home and Away star has shared a touching poem for her baby.

Mum causes stir breastfeeding on train

?To the woman breastfeeding her kid on the train. Seriously! On the train?" began the letter of complaint.

10 things they don?t tell you about being pregnant

As I slowly waddle my ever-changing pregnant body towards the finishing line of my due date, it?s becoming increasingly clear there are a lot of things they just don?t tell you about pregnancy.

Overcoming a fear of the dark

A toddler's fear of the dark is very normal, but there are ways parents can help children through this stage in their development.

Kids, TV and movies: how young is too young?

It seems you don't have to throw the TV and iPad out the window - it all boils down to moderation, supervision and interaction.

Video: Baby's first birthday is a special day for mum, too

?A baby?s first birthday is also mum?s first birthday.?

The day Supernanny came to tea

Prince William's favourite celebrity child trainer Jo Frost puts Bryony Gordon and her toddler through their paces.

Tales from the homefront

When you're at work you sort of assume that your house is basically just sitting there quietly doing nothing until you return. However, since spending my days at home, I've learned this couldn't be further from the truth.

The words I hated hearing as new mum

It was less than a week after my son was born that I first heard it - from my mother.

To the pharmacist who sold me baby formula

On the rare occasion I catch sight of you at school, or around town, I think back to our earliest exchange. I?m sure you have no recollection of it at all.

Babies may benefit from autism therapy

Children showing signs of autism don't usually receive early intervention until well into toddlerhood or later, but a new study suggests infants with symptoms of the developmental disorder might benefit from therapy from as early as six months.

Knatalye and Adeline born with an everlasting bond

Knatalye Hope and Adeline Faith are a lot like any other identical twin girls, but there is one dramatic difference: they're joined at the chest and shares several internal organs.

The question this dad wishes he'd asked his wife

I should have seen that my wife wasn't the same person I'd fallen in love with, but we were both too focused on simply trying to get by.

Why we should talk about the deaths of the Hunt children

The deaths are too horrible even to think about. Yet we owe it to the children - Fletcher, Mia and Phoebe Hunt - to think long and hard about it all.

Baby dies of meningococcal weeks after vaccine application denied

A six-month-old girl has died from meningococcal disease just weeks after an application for government funding of a vaccine for the most deadly strain of the virus was rejected.

Finding the right balance when playing with your kids

Being too involved in our children?s play and not allowing our kids enough free time for unstructured activities can mean our kids miss out on the value that play offers.

Creative DIY light shades

The Pop Light light shade comes in a flat pack already made - it's up to you to design it as you'd like.

The battle of iParenting versus imagination

Have we forgotten how to be imaginative, resourceful parents?

Why movement is so important for your baby's growth

Letting your child move as much as possible in the early years ? using all senses, engaging in the real world, preferably outside ? will help them grow up healthier, smarter, calmer and stronger.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Special offer: The Baby & Toddler Show 2014

At The Baby & Toddler Show, you?ll find everything you need to get ready for your new arrival and guide you through the early weeks and years of parenting.

Losing yourself to motherhood

While watching your baby grow into a unique little person is exciting and wondrous, the intensity of meeting everyone else?s needs can ever so sneakily overtake your own needs for self-care.

Tearing during delivery: the facts

Almost all women will experience bruising, grazing or tearing after a vaginal birth. Depending on the degree of tearing, there are various treatments available.

6 tips for a day out with a baby and toddler

Outings can be lots of fun with the kids, but there are inevitable challenges. Here's some information about days out to help you be a little more prepared.

Why I invited a dozen people to watch my son's birth

I sent invitations on burgundy scrapbooking paper stamped with a field of poppies, and told each person why I wanted him or her there. I warned that there would be nudity.

Getting labour started: tips for a natural induction

When your baby?s due date comes and goes without so much as a pop - let alone a bang - it can be disheartening. Mums and a doula share their stories of natural inductions.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

That's my boy: a dad's diary of the first 4 months

Unbearable anxiety, unspeakable joy, constant exhaustion and bouts of frustration ... The many shocks of first-time fatherhood resound in a dad's diary of his son's early months.

One of the most important things a new mum can do

Finances may not be as cute as a newborn, but with many women?s working arrangements changing post-baby, monetary matters need attention too.

Single, pregnant - and 51

She first became a mum at 49 - now, two years later, Tracey Khan is pregnant with her second child.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Reader offer

2 FOR 1 TICKET OFFER

For Shopping, For Advice, For Baby & You. Enjoy a special day out with fabulous shopping from over 200 brands, leading parenting experts offering advice on a range of topics, and amazing children?s entertainment

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.