ELC inner eastern suburbs Melbourne
Which ELC - strathcona or fintona

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Edson1

Posted 15 December 2012 - 07:43 PM

Hi everyone, I have a quick question that I'd love your feedback on. We are sending our kids to the local primary school from prep, however we are considering Fintona and Strathcona for a pre prep year for my son (as he is young for his year having an April b'day), and kinder for my daughter. Does anyone have any experience with either of these ELCs?
From what I've read Strathcona's pre prep program is specifically designed for kids who've already done 4yo kinder which appeals as my son will have already done 4yo kinder, but being a Baptist school i wonder how religious it is? And I think a lot of it will come down to the quality of the teachers.
So if anyone has any experience or has heard about either school's ELC and pre prep program I'd be very grateful for your feedback.
Thanks!!

#2 SHMummy

Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:26 PM

Hi!  We are in exactly the same situation with our two year old son, who has a late April birthday.  We had no plans whatsoever to hold him back, he's very smart, has excellent impulse/self control, is very social, and handles childcare with aplomb, but having seen how prevalent it is to hold children (particularly boys) back, we have had to rethink things.  Our daughter, born in February, was ALMOST the youngest in her Prep class (and only two younger- one of whom has had to repeat), but she is extremely tall and handled Prep exceptionally well.  Now, in Year One, she IS the youngest in her new class. It has hit home, although our 4yo son looks like he will be more than ready to start Prep with other 4/5 yr olds when it comes time, if most of the of the children are 6, and physically he is a lot smaller, it is a whole different story.  

Anyway, a number of friends have had their children (boys and girls) in Strathcona ELC (4yo and pre prep) and everyone speaks very highly of it.  I have not had a single negative review.  In fact one mother of a boy in my daughter's class says it was only because of Strathcona he was made ready for school, because the kinder he was in was definitely not helping.  Its teachers, excellent child/ teacher ratios and its programs etc were instrumental in bringing out his best before formal schooling.  We have put our son's name down and are hoping that he will get into 4yo kinder and on advice of the staff there, if we NEED to then hold him back, he can then do the Pre Prep Year.  

I toured Strathcona and it was nice, I got a great vibe from the staff and what I really liked was the fact that they aim for an equal share of boys and girls in the Pre-Prep program.  I think 4yo might be more girls though, mainly because there are more girls applying.  But with the playground and the opportunities on offer, and the feedback from parents, I have no hesitation in aiming for Strathcona.  

For Fintona, interestingly, I only know of one parent whose child went there- a boy.  Not a great experience apparently, as she felt it was definitely more geared toward girls.  I must say when I had a look myself (before realising my son would not meet the 4yo kinder birthdate cutoff imposed by Fintona and there was no flexibility), it was absolutely lovely, great building and facilities, beautiful space, lovely teachers, but not a lot of 'rough and tumble' outdoor space/ equipment, it didn't have the pool (which I thought was an attractive part of the Strathcona Prep Prep Program) and every room I looked at had fairies, girl, girl and more girl stuff, and my son gets enough of that at home with his sister.  Books like Isabella's Secret were being read (a great book, but it further galvanised my thoughts- this is really a place for girls) and there were a lot fewer boys than girls observed.  I think, from what I saw, the comments of my friend were being played out on the tour (although I must say, that day, some of the kids were allowed to get muddy in the garden, which was kind of nice and the teachers were more than fine with that, and the boys from one class were constructing something with some wood and little hammers, so obviously the teachers are making the effort to address, but still....soooo many fairies huh.gif:- ).    

With the religious aspect, I didn't get the impression that either school were hardcore religious.  I know for Strathcona there is Chapel, but I can't imagine that this would be imposed on the younger ones- except maybe Easter or Christmas???, but could be wrong - I didn't think to ask.  But you can get some pretty hardcore teachings at the local kinder (e.g. my daughter was asking about the man who got nailed up when she came home from her local kinder a couple of years back, I was astounded).  

Another ELC Pre Prep Program that I have heard is great is Kingswood College at Box Hill.  General feedback has indicated it is fantastic.  I did a tour though, absolutely loved the teacher I met, but thought the building was dilapidated and I am an aesthetic snob, I'll take the nice building for my son thanks  biggrin.gif .  The rest of the school was quite nice though.  Another friend has had her son go to the MLC ELC and said it was great - but that is Kew, so locationally might not suit.  I looked at Preshil's ELC also, absolutely would have been wonderful for my arty, very creative, leftfield daughter, but my son is one of those kids that crave very clear structures and boundaries, and chooses cars and diggers over dreamcatchers, so I thought it wouldn't have suited him so much as the more 'formal' private ELCs, but for the highly creative kid, I would pick that for ELC over the others. Have written sooo much, am obviously avoiding doing some work  sad.gif  

Good luck!

#3 Edson1

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:25 AM

Thanks JodieinMelbourne for your great response! I feel very comfortable with our decision to go with strathcona. I also did a tour last week and it seems like a lovely elc and I agree with your points about teachers and the pool and the play area outside.  Now I just need to decide once and for all if I should hold my son back and do pre prep or just go into prep. A tough decision.
Thanks again!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

A mum's tragic battle against inflammatory breast cancer

At just 37 years of age, with two young sons, Vicki was diagnosed with inflammatory breast cancer. Now her family wants all women to know the symptoms.

The business of babies around the world

Pregnancy and birth is an intriguing process no matter where you are in the world. One soon-to-be father gleans wisdom from a new guide.

Finding a positive path through IVF

It’s not surprising that IVF is often seen as a negative journey towards the ultimate positive, but having a glass-half-full approach can make a big difference to the experience.

Giving strangers the gift of parenthood

A mum explains why she and her husband are choosing to gift their leftover embryos to help strangers achieve their dream of parenthood.

Does morning sickness get better or worse with each child?

Just as every baby is unique, so is every pregnancy. And that means morning sickness can vary a lot, too.

What's so wrong with looking 'mumsy', anyway?

Why is it that the word ‘mumsy’ has connotations of such a negative nature – but seems to be the only other option apart from ‘yummy’?

Trying to speed up the inevitable

As the waiting game of late pregnancy continues, this mum considers a few things that might hurry things up a little.

One month later: where is William Tyrell?

It has been a little over a month since William Tyrell disappeared from his grandmother's home, 33 long sleepless nights for his family as they mourn the absence of their cheeky young boy.

Winter's child less likely to be moody: study

Babies born in the summer are much more likely to suffer from mood swings when they grow up, while those born in the winter are less likely to become irritable adults, scientists claim.

Single mum of two creates award-winning baby app

Suddenly single with a baby and an 11-year-old son, Tara O?Connell developed an app to improve the lives of mothers who were similarly overwhelmed.

Food for thought: looking after yourself as a new mum

As soon as your baby enters the world, everything else takes a back seat - even the necessities of daily life such as eating are severely compromised, right when you need energy the most.

'Grabbable guts' campaign aims to cut toxic fat

The Live Lighter campaign will take people inside the human body to show the internal dangers of being overweight.

The best and worst month of my life

A new mum's first month of motherhood didn't pan out as expected when she lost a family member weeks after her baby's birth.

Facebook and Apple offer to pay female staff to freeze their eggs

Facebook and Apple are hoping to provide women with the freedom to build their careers without the added pressure of having children at or by a certain age.

How a pregnancy contract could work for you and your partner

The idea of making a 'pregnancy contract' with your partner may sound a bit silly at first, but it can help make the transition to parenthood a lot smoother.

Finding a mum-friendly personal trainer

Burping babies vs burpees – yes, new mums and personal trainers live in different worlds. But they can work together - once you find the right match for you and your lifestyle.

Alleged baby snatch incident a ?misunderstanding?, say police

Police say that an incident in which a man pulled on a woman?s pram while walking a popular Sydney route late last month was a misunderstanding.

Ebola killed my aunt and is shutting down my country

Three weeks ago, my auntie, a midwife, developed a fever. Sitting here in Sydney basked in Australian sunshine, that shouldn't be big news.

The night my ovary burst

One mum shares her frightening experience and vows to never take her health for granted again.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

The 'yucky' illness that took over my life

I have a chronic illness nobody likes to discuss, as it involves toilet talk. But it needs to be talked about.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.