Dog ate some Christmas cake
Sultanas toxic to dogs?
, Dec 15 2012 07:36 PM
17 replies to this topic
Posted 15 December 2012 - 07:36 PM
I was cutting some Christmas cake for myself and a bit dropped onto the floor and my little maltese ate it before I could grab it off the floor. We're talking maybe a 1.5cm x 1.5cm cube. Dr google tells me grapes and sultanas can be toxic to dogs. Do I need to worry with such a small bit she has eaten?
She ate it at about 1.30pm and seems fine now at 7.30pm.
Posted 15 December 2012 - 07:46 PM
I wouldn't stress about it but keep a close eye on her in case she does react to the cake she had eaten. Maybe look up the after hours vet phone number and keep that on hand if you don't feel right.
If it helps, one day I left a bowl of M&Ms on the coffee table when DH and I went out for the day. When we came back, I went to grab some M&Ms and the bowl was empty! I actually scolded DH for eating them and he looked at me in puzzlement and said that he didn't finish off the bowl. We eventually worked out that it was our puppy that had jumped up and ate the WHOLE bowl of chocolate M&Ms! For some reason, I didn't think my puppy would be able to jump onto the coffee table as we have another older dog who doesn't jump on furniture.
After panicking a little, we figured out that since it would have been a few hours after she had eaten them, it would be ok and she was fine - no side effects thank goodness. Its just what dogs do!
Your dog sounds adorable! She probably thought all her christmases had come at once
Posted 15 December 2012 - 07:58 PM
I wouldn't be too concerned unless you notice anything concerning in the dogs behaviour (toileting/lethargy/vomiting etc
The only 2 things I don't feed our dogs are onions and chocolate. In fact they do get things with cocoa in them occasionally. But ours dogs are 40+kg so it has less effect.
I am far more paranoid about cats (for whom sultanas are also toxic.)
I didn't even know sultanas were toxic for dogs! But I doubt the very small amount in such a small slice would have an effect. I would have thought they'd need to eat a whole cake for it to make a difference
Posted 15 December 2012 - 08:00 PM
There is no known toxicity level for the toxin in grape skin. The toxin can cause renal failure. If a dog eats something like the cake, then they should be made to vomit within 30 minutes. Too late now but your dog will probably be fine.
Posted 15 December 2012 - 08:05 PM
MIL used to feed our dogs and BILs dog fruit cake all the time until she made BILs dog sick. She thought she was giving him a treat! When she was at our house one day I saw her give one of the dogs a tiny piece so I let it slide, then she started feeding it a whole slice so I jumped in then!
Posted 15 December 2012 - 08:21 PM
I have given my malteese both grapes and saltanas (before I found out they are bad). That was many years ago and she is perfectly fine.
Edited by VintageEyes, 15 December 2012 - 08:22 PM.
Posted 16 December 2012 - 09:04 AM
Our whippet has eaten sultanas many times and is fine! I never knew they were toxic! Same as with onions!! And a whole packet of wafers!!
Posted 16 December 2012 - 09:07 AM
I once had a dog who absolutely loved grapes. I used to feed them to him one by one. It was so funny and bizarre. I don't love them myself but use to buy them for the dog!!
Then one day someone told me they were toxic to dogs.
I had no idea. They never seemed to trouble him but that was it for the grapes from then on.
Posted 16 December 2012 - 09:16 AM
I wouldn't stress, one day I caught my little Jack Russell under my bed enjoying my stash of whitmans chocolates ( and I mean that ridiculous huge box you can get ) she was so pleased with herself. But she's fine. And chocolates supposed to be the worst thing of all, I wouldn't worry about a little bit of sultana!
Posted 16 December 2012 - 09:22 AM
My dog once ate almost a whole bag of muesli with sultanas and what not
without incident. But she's 33kgs. I think the PPs suggestion of finding an after hours vet's number, just in case, is a good idea.
Posted 16 December 2012 - 09:26 AM
Our Cavs have recently been picking up dropped sultanas from our one year old, and they are fine.
I wouldn't give them a packet load, but I wouldn't stress about a small piece of cake.
Posted 16 December 2012 - 09:31 AM
little dog eats, i mean steals chocolate all the time, hes still alive
we left the room for a few minutes, he ate a whole block of brie
he lives - besides a boot mark up him bum!!!
small bits here and there arent dangerous,
Posted 16 December 2012 - 10:13 AM
Well she seems happy and well this morning so I guess it was all fine!
She is curled up on my lap trying to steal my cereal now.
Posted 17 December 2012 - 08:50 AM
Our Maltese developed epilepsy after getting in to a stash of my sisters Easter egg chocolate.
She started seizuring and developed some sort of brain damage meaning she would have one or two seizures a month for the rest of her life.
However my dog is the only dog I have ever heard of having a bad reaction to chocolate.
My sisters staffy got in to the Chrissy chocolates under her tree ( a couple of boxes) and was totally fine.
So I think it's a individual thing, like sultanas and grapes.
Could depend on variety of grapes as well.
I would keep my eye on the dog but don't stress.
I think reactions to both chocolate and grapes is probably a rare thing.
Posted 17 December 2012 - 08:57 AM
Our Jack Russell demolished a large chocolate rabbit DH had hidden in the bottom of his wardrobe without any after effects.
But the real issue here: isn't anyone allowed to eat sultamnas any more?
Posted 17 December 2012 - 09:03 AM
No joke, we had a cocker spaniel that ate a WHOLE Christmas cake. No ill effects but be careful OP and watch the dog or take it to the vet. Best to be on the safe side.
Same cocker also ate 250g butter in one go, 1 cake of soap, 1 plastic shopping bag and an assortment of Easter rabbits under a bed, over their lifetime. Lived till 17,lol.
Posted 17 December 2012 - 03:31 PM
I thought that the reason it was bad for them was that it builds up over time and their body can't filter it properly.
A lady at work use to add garlic to her dogs food until her dog got incredibly sick with a blood disorder. Almost died. They had no idea what was causing her dog to be so anaemic and it was just by chance she googled something and found out about the garlic. Told the vet and he then realised what was going on.
Posted 17 December 2012 - 03:38 PM
But the real issue here: isn't anyone allowed to eat sultamnas any more?
No. Along with fruit yoghurt, they are The Work Of The Devil.
1 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users
Complete to online survey and let us know your views on health and fitness to win.
Everyone loves a personalised Christmas present - especially those which have been lovingly created by little hands. These Christmas gifts are so easy that even your toddler will be able to make them.
Our friends at The Sun-Herald are giving you the chance to win a family pass to Taronga Zoo Sydney or Taronga Western Plains Zoo.
I?m not ready for my son to stop believing in Santa yet. But should I treat him like the intelligent and sensible boy that he is and tell the truth, or should I lie, with the good intentions of keeping the magic alive for just a little longer?
More than half a million lights, countless hours of work, a world record - and it's all for a good cause.
Doctors made a shocking discovery when they found a dandelion growing inside 16-month-old?s ear canal.
Introducing the new campaign to help mums and babies around Australia.
Despite safety campaigns by organisations such as Kidsafe, the number of children dying and being injured in driveway accidents has remained steady. One mother shares her story of loss and warns others to pay attention.
Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.
Fitness blogger and football wife Caroline Berg Eriksen has come under fire for posting a photo of her amazing post-baby body on Instrgram just four days after giving birth. She has defended the picture saying she is "proud" of what her body has achieved.
A pregnant woman had her baby taken by British social workers after a forced caesarean section - and the child has still not been returned to her.
When kids want something, they'll ask ... and ask ... and ask ... until you cave in. You can teach them to unlearn this annoying tactic by saying just three words.
Babies love getting their little gums around keys - but these ones are cleaner and more fun than the set on your key ring.
Join Essential Baby and Aldi in celebrating Chrismas, with gift guides, the truth about Santa and how to manage christmas while pregnant + lots more.
Breaking Bad, The Great Gatsby and Game of Thrones are all inspiring baby names in the UK this year ? but royal names are on the decline.
To celebrate the launch of this gorgeous new baby skincare range, Essential Baby is giving our readers the chance to win one of ten Little Bairn Essentials Gift Packs.
For a limited time you can save 50% off when you gift unlimited access to The Age or SMH. It's the gift for those you love, who love to know.
Weird poses, surprise photobombs, bizarre editing: these are the wedding photos that should have never seen the light of day.
Get Christmas sorted with this prize bundle of a Playstation3 and Puppeteer game + a PSVita and Little Big Planet game. Enter Now!
Kids love their PILLOW PETS by day and are comforted sleeping with them by night. Enter now for your chance to win!
Here's a selection of vintage boys and girls monikers which have traditionally been used as either nicknames or given names, from the 1880s through to the 1950s.
Free Printable Activities
Free printable acitivity pages like colouring in, cutting, word finders, mazes, maths activities and puzzles.