Coffee Pod machines
Are you getting one/have one ?

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 Jjbeanz

Posted 15 December 2012 - 09:20 AM

I've been looking for weeks for a cheaper brand coffee pod machine. There's too many to choose from! I like the aldi expressi as pods are cheap, easy to get and there's a good variety to choose from however I've been told the coffee is weak. I like the Dolce gusto as it has the milk pods to make cappuccinos so even quicker to make than frothing milk but the pods with milk cost $1 so a little expensive but still cheaper than buying!Then the woolworths one as I've heard the Gloria Jeans pods are really nice?
So what would you recommend?

#2 *LucyE*

Posted 15 December 2012 - 09:28 AM

I recommend the DeLonghi Nespresso ones when they come on sale.  They are often on special somewhere and sometimes have cash back offers too.  If you can stack it with another store discount, it makes it very reasonably priced.

#3 PoshMosh

Posted 15 December 2012 - 09:30 AM

I know these new coffee machines are all the rage now but I like getting out of the house to go get a coffee, so no I won't be buying one.

#4 Allie_D

Posted 15 December 2012 - 09:31 AM

I've got a Map Bella and you can get the coffee pods in strong, medium and mild strengths which is good for different tastes.  They are $6.95 for 10.  My DH and I drink the strong ones, but I have some mild ones for when friends come over.

My friend just bought a Dolce because she liked the idea of the quick cappuccino pods but she thinks they taste horrible, don't come out very hot, and are not very strong.  She ended up borrowing my milk frother and getting some espresso pods and said that was a lot better, so went and bought her own frother and threw out her cappuccino pods.  The pods for that machine are at our local supermarket, but they're not $1 each.  They are $7.95 per pack of 16 I think.

Hope that helps!

#5 Justaduck

Posted 15 December 2012 - 09:32 AM

The pods will fit into the other machines....Ie Aldi & MAP are compaitble, and I think they can both take Woolworths and Gloria Jeans Pods.

Nespresso and the Coles machine are both compatible.

Personally we (well DP and my Dad, I don't drink coffee) both have Map machines. Dad had the Aldi one but didn't like it. They both like the Map pods, and Dad buys pods cheaply from Italy. Dad doesn't like the Aldi pods to drink, but DP does.

#6 Tunip

Posted 15 December 2012 - 09:34 AM

QUOTE (*LucyE* @ 15/12/2012, 09:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I recommend the DeLonghi Nespresso ones when they come on sale.  They are often on special somewhere and sometimes have cash back offers too.  If you can stack it with another store discount, it makes it very reasonably priced.

I agree. DeLonghi have a cash-back offer on at the moment; we bought a Lattissima+ last week, on sale with $100 cash-back.

#7 Allie_D

Posted 15 December 2012 - 09:37 AM

QUOTE (Flylikeabutterfly @ 15/12/2012, 10:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I know these new coffee machines are all the rage now but I like getting out of the house to go get a coffee, so no I won't be buying one.

Geez I must have been a trend setter then!  I've had an automatic machine for 3 years and a pod machine in our office for 2 years tongue.gif

'Going to get a coffee' isn't for everyone.  Our closest coffee shop is 45 minutes from here, so ducking out to get a coffee can't be done.  Plus these cheaper machines allow people to have a cafe quality coffee at home for $1 rather than paying $4 at a shop.  We have 2-3 a day from our automatic machine (costs about 20c per cup) so that would equate to a lot per week if we were buying coffees!

#8 GenWhy

Posted 15 December 2012 - 09:42 AM

I got the $69 KMart one and use nespresso pods in it. Live the taste and it's a good price for the actual machine. But I wish I'd got one with a latte button! Just too pricey for us at the moment

#9 MeHeNDa3

Posted 15 December 2012 - 09:47 AM

I have a MAP machine (Perfecto), and it takes the MAP pods, Gloria Jeans and Woolworths brand pods. I love it, and use it at least 4 times a day. I do prefer the Gloria Jeans or Woolies pods to the MAp opnes though.

#10 Pearson

Posted 15 December 2012 - 10:38 AM

I have the target bellini one.  It is MAP/Caffitaly compatible.
It is NOT compatible to the Aldi ones.  Size wise, yes, however, the Aldi one has its filter built into the machine, and the MAP has the filter built into the pods.  I learnt this the hard way, gritty coffee - blech!
I have tried the gloria jeans, the woolies and the map branded ones.  I like the woolies best, and then the map red ones.  (I wont buy the gloria jeans ones, or anything else GJs they were given to me because a friend thought they would fit the nespresso branded machines).
Work has nespresso - i hate nespresso pods, like the l'dor brand from supermarkets.
I find it has paid itself off as I dont spend $4ish on coffee each day anymore.

#11 Jjbeanz

Posted 15 December 2012 - 12:05 PM

I just noticed the Kmart today is compatible with the nespresso pods do that is another to consider. Seems like it depends on your taste. I'd like to buy a more expensive brand one but my budget is around $100 at the moment

#12 elmo_mum

Posted 15 December 2012 - 12:16 PM

we have the kmart coffee machine
thet r compatible with nespresso pods

the mahine was $80, althouhg i think they r down to 70

#13 Duck.

Posted 15 December 2012 - 12:19 PM

We have the delonghi nestle dolce gusto and love it!

pods are $8 for 8 milky or 12/14 non milky.

It does cap, long mach, long mach caramel, all the other normals, chai tea, iced cap and iced tea.

For the cold drink you just add ice after doing the cold function.

#14 ~Jam~

Posted 15 December 2012 - 12:25 PM

I have an Aldi one, and while I love the coffee, I am sick to death of the damn machine leaking all over the counter.

We are looking at replacing it with the Dolce Gusto ... but will probably have to wait until after Christmas!

#15 ez21

Posted 15 December 2012 - 12:25 PM

I have a Delonghi Nespresso machine at work and I find the coffee to be weak and nothing more than glorified instant coffee.  It is better than instant but nowhere near as good as proper coffee.  Most people at work don't use the machine for this reason and walk to a nearby cafe for their coffee.

It really depends what you want out of a coffee machine.  For me, it is really disappointing.

#16 Azadel

Posted 15 December 2012 - 12:32 PM

QUOTE (ez21 @ 15/12/2012, 01:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have a Delonghi Nespresso machine at work and I find the coffee to be weak and nothing more than glorified instant coffee.  It is better than instant but nowhere near as good as proper coffee.  Most people at work don't use the machine for this reason and walk to a nearby cafe for their coffee.

It really depends what you want out of a coffee machine.  For me, it is really disappointing.

Agreed! I buy beans fresh roasted and grind just prior to drinking. You can't tell me some preground stuff sitting in a pod on a shelf for months on end can compare.

#17 Jjbeanz

Posted 15 December 2012 - 02:47 PM

I'm after a fast, easy and no mess way to have a coffee on the way to work. I just don't have the time to make it from a manual machine even though I do have access to one. I'm not a big fan of instant so was hoping this would be in between the two

#18 Mmmcheese

Posted 15 December 2012 - 02:54 PM

I just got a nesspresso u, it's heaps better than instant, and it's actually quicker than boiling the kettle too. I don't heat up the milk, I just make a lungo and put a splodge of cold milk in it. It's not as good as the coffee shop around the corner, but it's better than some coffee shops I've been too! I don't have the inclination to grind my own beans, so this is a happy compromise for us.

#19 .Jerry.

Posted 15 December 2012 - 05:41 PM

I have a Delonghi Nespresso machine.  It seems to be pretty good.  (have had it for over a year now)

I'm not much of a coffee drinker though, so I took it into work and we use it in the office there.  Way nicer than instant.

#20 R2B2

Posted 15 December 2012 - 05:53 PM

We have a lavazza machine. its good original.gif we got it on sale.

the nespresso is heaven sent. wish we could afford a fancy one like that!

#21 MrsLexiK

Posted 15 December 2012 - 06:24 PM

We've got a delonghi at work and an aldi one at home. I actually think the also one heats it hotter. I went for the aldi one as it meant I didn't have to go to chaddy to buy coffee or order online.
The reason I went with pods is because my ultra expensive proper machine broke and would have cost upwards of $2k to replace. We don't drink that much coffee so our beans were going bad before the end of the packet.

#22 *LucyE*

Posted 15 December 2012 - 06:35 PM

I have a Delonghi Nespresso machine at work and I find the coffee to be weak and nothing more than glorified instant coffee.

Which pods do they have though?  There are varied coffee strength pods to suit most tastes.  Also, the length of the coffee can be adjusted to taste.  Maybe the person who originally set it preferred weak coffee?

I'm not saying they compare to a well made fresh espresso, BUT it is a easy, cheap and convenient alternative.

Agreed! I buy beans fresh roasted and grind just prior to drinking. You can't tell me some preground stuff sitting in a pod on a shelf for months on end can compare.

At home, I don't want the fuss of freshly ground beans and the associated mess.  We've tried that and found that not only was it causing more cleaning for me, our beans were going stale because we don't drink enough at home.

The pod machine is convenient to have reasonable coffee when we want it.  It's better than some cafe coffees too.

#23 Colleer

Posted 15 December 2012 - 06:48 PM

We just got our de longhi nespresso lattissima + yesterday and I am in love! It is so simpe to use and is fully automatic with the milk frothier etc built in. So to make my latte I turn the machine on, insert a pod and press a button and thats it.  I think it's quicker to make a coffee in this aching than it is to boil te kettle and make an instant coffee  original.gif

What sold me on this was a) the $100 cash back offer they have at te moment and b) the milk compartment is detachable so once you have made your coffee you take the milk compartment out and put it in the fridge. It doesnt heat the whole milk container up, it sucks the milk out then heats it so there is no wastage.

#24 papilio

Posted 16 December 2012 - 02:56 AM

We have the caffitaly one at work, from Woolies and I quite like it.  They got the milk frother too, which makes impressive froth.  

For home I have a proper stove top coffee pot which makes a nice strong coffee.

#25 Kalota

Posted 16 December 2012 - 04:25 PM

We bought one from Aldi for extremely cheap, however it is fantastic because it fits the Nespresso pods in it! It's a great coffee machine too, have had it for a while now and it's still working magnificently.

We do buy the Nespresso pods for it which are a little pricey, BUT instead of throwing the pods out after use, we wash them out and refill them with ground coffee and then put foil over the top and re-use them once again before throwing them out! It sounds very frugal but it saves a lot of money.

Anyway the coffee machine is just a no-name brand one from Aldi, it had advertised on the box that it took the Nespresso pods (that's why we bought it). We bought a "Caffi Italy" (I think) milk frother separately. They're both fantastic.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sonia Kruger speaks of baby joy

Celebrity mum-to-be Sonia Kruger has spoken candidly about using donor eggs and IVF to fall pregnant at age 48.

Dressing to not impress: life through the eyes of a three-year-old

When it comes to getting dressed, my three-year-old has only one criterion: ?I don?t want to look beautiful.? And now I've worked out why.

Special nappies made with love for angel babies

Angel Baby Nappies make and provide tiny bereavement cloth nappies for pre-term stillborn babies and premature babies who pass away in the NICU.

Inside the brain of a tantruming toddler

What's going on in your child's mind in the lead-up to a tantrum? And what?s the best way to respond?

5 secrets to a long-lasting relationship

When it comes to keeping your relationship strong, it?s what you do - and not what you want - that really matters.

When 'furbabies' meet real babies

I am obsessed with my dogs, and can't imagine loving them any less once my baby arrives. But that doesn't stop everyone from telling me I will.

The least popular baby names of 2013

Looking for a baby name that?s nowhere near the top 10 ? or even the top 1000? Try the bottom five.

'I was so sleep deprived I crashed my car'

There are no laws regulating driving while tired, but statistics show that driver fatigue is one of the top three contributors to the road toll.

Why are there so few sexy maternity bras?

Rather than feeling ashamed of their post-baby bodies, women should be free to buy lingerie that makes them look attractive and pretty - no matter what stage of life they're in.

Toddler Alliyah one step closer to first trip home

She has lived the first 14 months of her life in a hospital intensive care unit, but Alliyah Broadby's parents hope to finally take their little girl home with them.

'Put people before IVF profits': IVF pioneer Alan Trounson

IVF could be done for hundreds of dollars in Australia instead of $8500 if clinics stopped charging what ''the market will handle'', a pioneer of the technology says.

Expectant parents urged to swap the pub for bub

Nearly one in five women drink while pregnant, but a current campaign is trying to drive down that unhealthy statistic.

Nutella supplies threatened by bad weather

There's bad news for fans of Nutella, the gooey, chocolatey hazelnut spread.

The cost of growing your own vegies

Does it make financial sense to grow your own veggies, or are you better off ordering produce from the local food co-op?

Breastfeeding mums less likely to suffer from PND, but all need support

A new study has shown the a complex relationship between a mother?s intention to breastfeed, her ability to do so, and postnatal depression.

The #loveyourlines Instagram account taking on body issues

A new Instagram account, LoveYourLines, has put the call out for to change the way we view stretch marks.

Mum gets diploma 51 years after being thrown out of school over pregnancy

Sandra Lantz was about six months pregnant and four months from graduation when she was forced to leave high school. Now, more than half a century later, she has finally graduated.

The lowdown on male midwives

How would you feel about having a male midwife assist your baby's birth? For a growing number of mums, the idea is a reality - and the experts all agree that it's something that should be encouraged.

Bomb threat at daycare centre

Worried parents took to social media yesterday after their children's daycare was evacuated due to a bomb threat.

Unusual celebrity baby names

Celebrities love to use their imaginations when it comes to naming their kids! Here's a gallery of some of the most memorable monikers in show biz families.

5 fears I've overcome since becoming a mum

Motherhood has a way of putting any phobias you had pre-parenthood into perspective: you either realise they?re a pointless waste of energy or they simply vanish in a sleep-deprived haze.

Mums review the Dymples range from Big W

The Big W Dymples range offers parents a vast selection of quality products to keep their little ones happy and healthy. We asked the Real Mums Test Drive team to review some items - here's what they said.

Recall: Another cot deemed unsafe

Parents are being warned to check their baby's cot is not one of those which have been recalled in recent weeks due to safety concerns.

The truth about breastfeeding and weightloss

Celebrities often state that their post-baby weight loss is down to breastfeeding, and breastfeeding alone. But that's not the reality for all women.

10 weird things little kids do

Most kids have their own personal brand of oddity. It's usually nothing to worry about, but every now and again you might find yourself scratching your head and asking, ?Really? Is that really a thing??

The app that helps detect signs of autism

Parents can assess their children's progress at critical developmental stages, thanks to this new app.

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Do you suffer from Precious Firstborn Syndrome?

Testing ?no more tears? shampoo in your own eyes, warming cucumber sticks so they're not cold straight from the fridge, waking a sleeping baby to check they?re still breathing: these are all symptoms of Precious Firstborn Syndrome.

Ezra's tragic death not in vain, mum says

Little Ezra was a "Harry Houdini" who loved trying to escape the family home. Now, after his tragic death, his parents are doing what they can to help others.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

Video: When adults act like children

Ever wondered what would happen if adults were allowed to act like children? This dad's hilarious video clip will give you an idea of what life would be like.

Mums hit hardest as flu cases skyrocket

The number of confirmed cases of influenza in Australia has doubled the number for the same time last year - and women are 25 per cent more likely to get it.

The mum who had four babies in nine months

Feeling exhausted due to the demands of caring for a baby? Imagine the life of this mum, who gave birth to three boys and one girl in just nine months.

Everything baby at Big W

Lowest prices on everything baby, only at Big W. Sale starts August 4 and ends August 20 2014.

Smiggle is painting the town red!

We have 3 Red Smiggle prize packs to give away! Enter by posting a photo of something red to your Instagram.

Mum gives birth at school

She went to a doctor complaining of stomach pains, then had an unexpected operation to remove a decades-old fetus.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.