How early did your child stop day sleeps?

25 replies to this topic

#1 feralgreenthumbs

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:56 PM

Just wondering when your child gave up day sleeps?

DS 16mths has only slept once a day (mostly - we don't have a routine) for ages. He had a late sleep in - 9.30am - last week, and didn't sleep at all that day, then crashed at 7pm and stayed in bed all night! He usually goes down between 8.30 and when I go to bed around 10.30 or so. He always needs numerous settles/breastfeed during the evening and can be difficult to keep in bed (cosleeping in our bed) but that night although I still had resettle a few times, he stayed in bed all night!

I'l love him to go to bed at this time everyday! It was such a relaxing night, for once I had time to myself biggrin.gif

So, out of curiousity, what's the earliest you've had or heard of bubs giving up day sleeps?

edit to add: on that one day he was really whingy and upset by dinnertime and virtually falling asleep on the changetable after his bath, so was ridiculously tired.

Edited by greenthumbs, 14 December 2012 - 11:02 PM.

#2 msro82

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:01 PM

Dd was under 18 months. Her bedtime without a nap was 5:30/6pm

#3 Agnodice the Feral

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:12 PM

I personally believe in a good bedtime routine and discipline which helps your child fall asleep on time rather than 'make them so exhausted they crash' approach. An overtired child cannot play and cannot learn. It's unfair to make a young child exhausted because the parent has not learnt to put them to sleep. Sorry if this sounds harsh, but at 16 months it is virtually impossible that your baby not need a day sleep, or that they need to be exhausted to fall asleep by 7:30. Honestly, even 7:30 seems late, the more tired they get, the harder it is to fall asleep (until some hours later when they finally pass that point and pass out.

I think you should keep the day nap, work on a strict bedtime routine which you enforce and never back down on, and aim for a 6:30-7 bedtime.

It is a rare child that can go without a nap before 2.5 years, and usually it goes between 3-3.5. You know when a child is ready to drop a sleep when they can not only last the distance without being tired/cranky/irritable, but they maintain their normal ability to play/interact etc.

#4 monkeys mum

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:19 PM

My dd had her last day sleep on her first birthday. My ds2 was around 18months and now he occasionally has one if hes had a late night ahd we're in the car in the early afternoon, but thats once a week/fortnight at most.

#5 marnie27

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:35 PM

My 3.5 year old still sleeps for 2+ hours a day and cannot make it through without a day sleep. If we are out and he can't sleep he will drop off as soon as he gets in the car. Not sure how he will manage full days at school in February!

#6 Akeyo

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:36 PM

DS1 (now 4) dropped his at 2, and DS2 (now 2.3yrs) at 22 months. Nothing I could do to get either of them to have a day nap after that. Although every now and again it all catches up with them (more so DS2) and they doze off in the car or on the couch if we've had a busy day. 16 months is pretty young and I'd say he probably still needs that rest during the day. Maybe just cut it a bit shorter and make sure it's not too late in the day.

Going to bed as late as 10:30pm is not good for them either. As PP said, perhaps work on his bedtime routine. He may be waiting for you to come to bed if you're cosleeping. Both my boys have had low sleep requirements. Even now, with no naps, bedtime is 8-830pm (730pm in winter) and wake up time is 5-530am (a bit later in winter). Sigh.

#7 roses99

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:46 PM

My DS dropped his day sleep at 3. It coincided with the arrival of DD and it just became too hard to coordinate their sleeps. But by that stage, he really didn't need it.

DD, on the other hand, is still sleeping for a three hour block every day. I hope she keeps it going for a bit longer!

#8 vitaechel

Posted 15 December 2012 - 01:04 AM

DS dropped his day nap around 3. We had to wait until we could get him sleeping a bit better at night on a regular basis. He still has the odd day where he might doze off if in the car around 3-4. We try to avoid that as he is hard to put to sleep at night at the best of times and a nap in day makes for a very late night.

#9 iwanttosleepin

Posted 15 December 2012 - 02:17 AM

My 4 year old still sneaks one in at least once a week....

He goes to bed by 7.30 every night and has done since he was 6 weeks old (didn't sleep through until about 12 months though).  Gets up at about 6am.  Although he occasionally sleeps to 7am.  on these days his big brother makes up for it and will get up at 5am!

#10 Leee

Posted 15 December 2012 - 07:19 AM

DS and DD both dropped theres a 2. I am always envious of those that still had nappers at 3. My nephew is 17 months and still naps, I dont know any kids that have dropped before around 2.

#11 Akeyo

Posted 15 December 2012 - 07:33 AM

Just wanted to add that your son may well drop his by 2 but there is often a period of phasing out the day sleep. DS2 started this around 19-20 months, he would just have the odd day where I could not get him to sleep for love nor money. Mind you, he would be nodding off into his dinner at 5:30pm so I knew he still needed that rest. As PP said, I knew it was official once he was cruising through to bedtime quite happily without a sleep.

#12 livvie7586

Posted 15 December 2012 - 07:36 AM

DD was 2 (it was either cut the nap or have her up til 12am).  she never seemed to suffer for it (although she is still a night owl, 9-9.30pm is a standard bedtime)

DS was 4.5 when he started preschool, and therefore had no choice but to drop his nap (although he used to sneak one in every couple of weeks at preschool), before that he was having 2-3 hours a day (and still in bed at 6.30 every night)

I do think the age you're talking about is way to early to drop all naps, though.  yes i've had that child that needs multiple resettles/feeds during the night (DD at 16 months was still up 4-5 times a night for a comfort feed/resettling), but wearing a toddler out to the point of exhaustion for a good nights sleep isn't worth it in the long run.  keep the nap for the moment, and find some other way to cope overnight (we ended up having to stop breastfeeding after the just before bed feed, and offer DD water.  she still woke up but was happy to take her sippy cup and drift back off)

#13 Natttmumm

Posted 15 December 2012 - 11:03 AM

DD1 started to drop it at about 2.5 but was hysterical by 5pm asleep by 530 - it was a tough transition. This was maybe a few times a week. By 4 the sleep was gone for good. Between 3 and 4 we drove her to sleep in the car at 1pm whenever we could.
DD2 has only ever had one day without a sleep and she is 3. She's out by 1230
They both go to sleep around 8 pm and up around 630. DD1 would sleep until 7am but DD2 wakes her up every day.
16 months is very young to stop sleeping but I have heard of that

#14 Baggy

Posted 15 December 2012 - 11:08 AM

DD1 stopped her day sleep around 2.5 - 3yo.

DD2 stopped her day sleeps around 16 months. She simply would not go down. I could try for hours and she wouldn't sleep. She goes to bed at 6pm and wakes up around 8.30am. She's 21 months now but its still the same.

#15 Squeekums Da Feral

Posted 15 December 2012 - 11:31 AM

DD stopped hers around 15 months.
Her bed time has always been around 8.30 - 9pm and wakes me around 8.30 am. I think she wakes a little earlier but plays in her room untill she wants breakfast.
Most nights she sleeps right through. Its usually banging on the roof thatwakes her to, damn possums!

#16 feralgreenthumbs

Posted 15 December 2012 - 12:10 PM

Thanks for the replies original.gif

For those pp's concerned, I was never thinking of exhausting him to try to make him sleep, this wouldn't work as he just gets hyper if over tired. I'm used to the resettling and assumed this would continue for a long time yet. I'm just curious if it could be ok for him to stop the naps if that was the way he was going - I tend to follow his lead. Also, he doesn't get up at the crack of dawn, 7.30 is a really early start for him and he'll definitely need a sleep on these days. So he normally gets up around 8.30-9.30, naps for about 45mins a day, sometimes longer if I get to him quick and give him a feed, then in bed around 9-10.30, multiple resettles required overnight.

If he was getting up at 6am this would equate going to bed around 7pm, pretty much in line with others, so don't go phoning docs just yet tongue.gif

When you spend a couple of hours trying to settle him during the day and it just doesn't happen, it's easier to stop banging your head against the brick wall. He is a very chirpy happy boy majority of the time. I know he's not ready to give them up yet, but soon wouldn't surprise me the way he seems to be going.

Seeing as most of the mothers group I attend have bubs that have always slept 12+ hours a night, barely needing resettling with 2-4 hour naps during the day, I just wondered how out of the ordinary my little man was. Not too wackadoodleat all by the sounds of it biggrin.gif

#17 No girls here

Posted 15 December 2012 - 12:22 PM

Mine were both 2 and would then sleep around 10.5 hours overnight.  DS1 started dropping an occasional one probably around 18 months I think.

I know a few people who haven't been able to get them to sleep past about 18 months but I think they were all having a good sleep overnight.

#18 amabanana

Posted 15 December 2012 - 12:32 PM

Both my kids stopped napping around 18mths.  DD2 is 2.5 now and she sleeps from 6.30pm-7.30am with no napping usually.  She does have a nap though if we've been doing something very physical or she's sick.

Edited by amabanana, 15 December 2012 - 01:49 PM.

#19 unicorn

Posted 15 December 2012 - 01:28 PM

The boys were 18 months, but they would sleep 10 to 12 hours overnight. Bedtime was around 7:00 from memory.

#20 Roobear

Posted 15 December 2012 - 01:36 PM

DD stopped napping consistently during the day at 15 months. If she is sick or has a few wake ups at night she will go down for a nap but usually she goes right through the day and then goes to bed around 6pm and sleeps until 7.30am the next day.

#21 Roobear

Posted 15 December 2012 - 01:43 PM

DD stopped napping consistently during the day at 15 months. If she is sick or has a few wake ups at night she will go down for a nap but usually she goes right through the day and then goes to bed around 6pm and sleeps until 7.30am the next day.

#22 ekbaby

Posted 15 December 2012 - 01:49 PM

DS1 stopped having a day sleep at around 2 years 3 months, but in the last few months before dropping the day sleep he wouldn't go to bed until around 10:30pm (he would have a long, late day sleep say from 2pm-5pm).

If he was getting up at 6am this would equate going to bed around 7pm, pretty much in line with others, so don't go phoning docs just yet

I agree with you OP I don't think there is anything wrong with kids having a later bedtime if kids and parents are happy with it. Even my 1 year old never goes to bed by 6:30pm. But he still probably spends 10-12 hours in bed overnight, just from 9pm-8am instead of 7pm-6am. Obviously if I needed to get the kids off to daycare and start work at 9am this wouldn't work for us, but their current sleeping habits suit us, especially in daylight savings, it means they get a good 2 hours or so playing with DP when she gets home from work instead of having to go straight to bed.

Also some kids just seem to need less sleep than others. My mum (parent of 5) commented there were huge variations between us, from one brother who still had a nap when he got from primary school through to me giving up day sleeps before 2 yrs.

#23 charlie23

Posted 15 December 2012 - 01:52 PM

DS stopped having a day sleep somewhere between 16-18 months. For us it didn't help with sleeping through the night, he would still wake up at night & still does at 4. Although in the last 3-4 weeks he has finally started to consistently sleep through.

DD on the other hand was still having 2-3 hours during the day until she was over 3.5!!!

#24 LifesGood

Posted 15 December 2012 - 05:16 PM

DD was still napping at 4y, only once or twice a week. But she napped every day until around 3y.

DS is about to turn 2 and sleeps every day for 2-3 hours, goes to bed happily at 7ish every night, wakes around 6.30am.

I believe that the vast majority of babies need a day nap until around age 3 and the main reason the sleep gets dropped earlier is because parents give up trying to give them a nap when they begin fighting it. (Putting my flame-proof suit and helmet on).

It's a routine thing. Even if they fight it you should still put them in bed each day and give them a good attempt at napping. For me that means an hour in bed regardless of whether they are sleeping or not. At least they will get a rest. And if they scream and cry and fight it you just persist with it. Stay right there with them the whole time if you want to but make sure they stay in bed, dark room, no toys or stimulation. After a few days they will realise it isn't going to change and will stop fighting it.

Even if they don't actually sleep for a couple of weeks I believe that many, many times they will eventually revert to napping happily on a regular basis. This easy napping will last a while, then something will change (development phase etc) and they will begin to fight it again. Parents persist again and routine reverts to napping. Repeat as long as you like, obviously once they start school it becomes impossible.

As for the earlier bedtime, that's easy. Don't let him sleep past 7am each day. Cut 1.5hrs off his morning and add it to the evening. Perhaps do it in half hour stages. Then you can have your evening back, put your feet up for a bit, glass of wine, bit of TV, keeps you sane!

Good luck OP.

#25 TheSmithFamily

Posted 15 December 2012 - 05:23 PM

My 14 month old naps twice a day and sleeps 6-6.

My daughter stopped her day sleep at 19 months

My eldest son @ 3.5.

I imagine next year with school and kinder schedule day naps will be hard to come by for the little guy x

Bron

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Special offer: The Baby & Toddler Show 2014

At The Baby & Toddler Show, you?ll find everything you need to get ready for your new arrival and guide you through the early weeks and years of parenting.

The 'no children' wedding invite

It was the wedding of one of my oldest and dearest friends, and she had invited me to be her bridesmaid. It was quite an honour. But there was one problem.

Baby Dylan recovering well after spending five days alone

For up to five days he lay alone after his mother died of a suspected drug overdose, but eight-month-old Dylan Micallef has made an incredible recovery.

The mystery of William Tyrell, little boy lost

The question remains: How does a little boy simply vanish without a trace?

Woman fights off robber, then gives birth

A thief in the US got more than he bargained for when he try to rob a woman who was nine months pregnant because he figured she would be an easy target.

Video: Two-year-old tells mum off for laughing at her

This little girl is not happy that her mum started laughing during her performance - so she tells her exactly how she feels about it.

Coping with a bolter

My 15-month-old has suddenly added a burst of real speed to her toddle. She should be classed a flight risk.

Single, 51 and pregnant

Tracey Kahn didn't realise she wanted to become a mother until she was well into her 40s. Now 51, she is pregnant with her second child.

An open letter to Tony Abbott: please salvage our super

We face financial ruin, but most of us don?t realise it. If we don?t act together to salvage our superannuation, I have no doubt the new GFC will be the Girls? Financial Crisis.

'I'm happy to know I'm changing lives': surrogate mum of two

I know that once the baby is born, I will focus on the gift I have given, and watch the parents with their new child. I can't wait for that day.

Birth trauma and the issue of informed consent

There is a perception that women should just be happy they have a healthy baby in their arms. But for women who experienced birth trauma, there's a lot more to it.

Tips for managing pollen allergies and hayfever

They're simple tips, but they can have a big impact on those who suffer from hayfever and pollen allergies.

Ada Nicodemou shares tribute to her stillborn baby

Just over one month since Ada Nicodemou and her husband lost their second son, the Home and Away star has shared a touching poem for her baby.

Mum causes stir breastfeeding on train

?To the woman breastfeeding her kid on the train. Seriously! On the train?" began the letter of complaint.

10 things they don?t tell you about being pregnant

As I slowly waddle my ever-changing pregnant body towards the finishing line of my due date, it?s becoming increasingly clear there are a lot of things they just don?t tell you about pregnancy.

Overcoming a fear of the dark

A toddler's fear of the dark is very normal, but there are ways parents can help children through this stage in their development.

Kids, TV and movies: how young is too young?

It seems you don't have to throw the TV and iPad out the window - it all boils down to moderation, supervision and interaction.

Video: Baby's first birthday is a special day for mum, too

?A baby?s first birthday is also mum?s first birthday.?

The day Supernanny came to tea

Prince William's favourite celebrity child trainer Jo Frost puts Bryony Gordon and her toddler through their paces.

The words I hated hearing as new mum

It was less than a week after my son was born that I first heard it - from my mother.

To the pharmacist who sold me baby formula

On the rare occasion I catch sight of you at school, or around town, I think back to our earliest exchange. I?m sure you have no recollection of it at all.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Special offer: The Baby & Toddler Show 2014

At The Baby & Toddler Show, you?ll find everything you need to get ready for your new arrival and guide you through the early weeks and years of parenting.

Losing yourself to motherhood

While watching your baby grow into a unique little person is exciting and wondrous, the intensity of meeting everyone else?s needs can ever so sneakily overtake your own needs for self-care.

Tearing during delivery: the facts

Almost all women will experience bruising, grazing or tearing after a vaginal birth. Depending on the degree of tearing, there are various treatments available.

6 tips for a day out with a baby and toddler

Outings can be lots of fun with the kids, but there are inevitable challenges. Here's some information about days out to help you be a little more prepared.

Why I invited a dozen people to watch my son's birth

I sent invitations on burgundy scrapbooking paper stamped with a field of poppies, and told each person why I wanted him or her there. I warned that there would be nudity.

Getting labour started: tips for a natural induction

When your baby?s due date comes and goes without so much as a pop - let alone a bang - it can be disheartening. Mums and a doula share their stories of natural inductions.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

That's my boy: a dad's diary of the first 4 months

Unbearable anxiety, unspeakable joy, constant exhaustion and bouts of frustration ... The many shocks of first-time fatherhood resound in a dad's diary of his son's early months.

One of the most important things a new mum can do

Finances may not be as cute as a newborn, but with many women?s working arrangements changing post-baby, monetary matters need attention too.

The 'no children' wedding invite

"It's her wedding, so the day is all about her, not your baby." How major fall-out can occur over a simple wedding invitation.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Reader offer

2 FOR 1 TICKET OFFER

For Shopping, For Advice, For Baby & You. Enjoy a special day out with fabulous shopping from over 200 brands, leading parenting experts offering advice on a range of topics, and amazing children?s entertainment

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.