Really need advice please

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 ~Supernova~

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:32 PM

I'm going to preface by saying I've seen my GP, my paed, and my CHN. DS will not drink bottles. We spent the last 3mths feeding him when he was asleep. He won't do that anymore. He eats...a LOT. He nearly eats as much as my 7yr old. And before someone suggests feeding him less food, I've tried that, he still won't drink formula.

I am seriously stressed, and at a total loss. I add formula to EVERYTHING now, his weetbix, his lunch etc etc. What do you do when your baby flat out refuses formula???

Should I give him vitamins? He eats a wide variety of meat, dairy, fruit, and vegetables. He loves his water. But formula? He'll scream his head off in refusal sad.gif

He has been formula fed for many months, so it's not like it is new.

All the medical advice is to just keep persevering, but he refuses and goes mental sad.gif

All the professionals, and all the books tell me he needs formula until 1yr, but what do you do when they just won't? He hasn't gained much weight in the last few months, but he is growing in length, happy, and hitting all his milestones. He is almost walking.

I really need advice please.

#2 ingrid74

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:38 PM

What about cows milk? What about from a sippy cup rather than from a bottle?
TBH, he is 9 months. If he is eating a wide variety of dairy in other ways I wouldnt be overly fussed. My daughter is 8 months (12/4) and only has 2-3 breastfeeds a day. I honestly don;t think she would be overly fussed if she didn't get them. My first child pretty much gave up most milk (might have had one night time feed at 9 months) but had milk on her cereal, had cheese sauce mixed in with vegies, cheese etc.

#3 luke's mummu

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:39 PM

It may have been very obvious to you  but have you tried different brands of formula? Different teats? Will he drink water out of a bottle or sippy cup?

Does the GP/paed think he is dehydrated at all?

#4 fairymagic

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:41 PM

He is 9 months old is that correct. If he is eating heaps of food and in a great variety, I wouldn't worry about the formula. I would offer things like yoghurts and custards to get the calcium into him that he needs plus offer other calcium rich foods too. As he gets older and can go onto cows milk, see what happens then. You could perhaps try the tiniest bit of flavouring in the milk to give it more taste and then gradually wean him off that but I would leave that until after his first birthday as it is obviously not the most ideal thing to give a young child. Perhaps try using the formula to make a smoothie??? He may like some banana or strawberries in it and may like to drink it from a cup or through a straw. Trying to introduce it in a way that is different from the way he has been offered formula in the past may make it easier for him to take it too.

Good luck.

#5 ~Supernova~

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:43 PM

QUOTE (ingrid74 @ 14/12/2012, 09:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What about cows milk? What about from a sippy cup rather than from a bottle?
TBH, he is 9 months. If he is eating a wide variety of dairy in other ways I wouldnt be overly fussed. My daughter is 8 months (12/4) and only has 2-3 breastfeeds a day. I honestly don;t think she would be overly fussed if she didn't get them. My first child pretty much gave up most milk (might have had one night time feed at 9 months) but had milk on her cereal, had cheese sauce mixed in with vegies, cheese etc.

He won't take formula out of a cup. He will drink water out of a bottle, straw, cup...I haven't tried cows milk because I have been told it's bad before 1  unsure.gif He has no night time feeds, only water. The only time he gets unhappy is when I try to give him a bottle...

I'm tempted to try cows milk, or even toddler formula. But it's apparently not right, ugh...

#6 ~Supernova~

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:44 PM

QUOTE (luke's mummu @ 14/12/2012, 09:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It may have been very obvious to you  but have you tried different brands of formula? Different teats? Will he drink water out of a bottle or sippy cup?

Does the GP/paed think he is dehydrated at all?

He is not even remotely dehydrated, BM's 3 times a day, and plenty of water. And we have tried every teat and cup known to mankind!

#7 KT1978

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:25 PM

Is it really a problem?
He's growing, eating well, drinking water. Does he "have to" have formula?

Pay attention that he gets a balanced diet and stays a healthy weight then stop worrying! Yes it's earlier than other babies but it's not a problem.  Formula tastes terrible, maybe his taste buds Re more developed for his age?

#8 ~Supernova~

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:27 PM

QUOTE (KT1978 @ 14/12/2012, 10:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Is it really a problem?
He's growing, eating well, drinking water. Does he "have to" have formula?

Pay attention that he gets a balanced diet and stays a healthy weight then stop worrying! Yes it's earlier than other babies but it's not a problem.  Formula tastes terrible, maybe his taste buds Re more developed for his age?

That's what my DH keeps saying, but I keep being told he needs formula until 1.

#9 *Finn*

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:33 PM

Your husban is right. No it's not normal for children to drop milk so early but it happens. I know of 2 babies from seperate families that did the same thing. One child was 8 months the other 10 months.  As long as he is putting on weight, hydrated and eating a varied diet then I would be totally ok about it.

#10 Soontobegran

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:35 PM

Your child sounds healthy OP and that is all that matters. He is expressing a dislike for milk but is having water and dairy in other food, I think you need to stop worrying (I know that is easier said than done)
Babies are all different, yes milk is usually the main component of oral intake in the first 12 months but then many babies who drink milk happily will not eat as well as your child.

I would let it go right now, ensure there is plenty of calcium in his food and perhaps add some probiotics but if he is gaining weight, peeing and pooping and behaving normally then I would just put it down to his taste preference.

#11 crankybee

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:36 PM

He's telling you he doesn't need it. He's healthy. Try him on watered down cow's milk and listen to what he is trying to tell you!

#12 Lazycow

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:54 PM

I wouldn't worry about it, as long as he is happy, healthy and eating a varied diet I would go with it. For me, trying to force him to drink formula would cause me more stress than him not having it.

#13 Heather11

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:10 PM

He is not even remotely dehydrated, BM's 3 times a day, and plenty of water. And we have tried every teat and cup known to mankind!

Are you saying he is getting 3 breastfeeds a day?  Plus trying to feed formula?  If this is correct why are you giving him formula as well.  Babies do not need formula if they are breast fed and on solids too.

By nine months all 3 of mine were having cow's milk on their cereal.

Edited by Heather11, 14 December 2012 - 11:11 PM.

#14 sandgropergirl

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:13 PM

QUOTE (Heather11 @ 14/12/2012, 11:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Are you saying he is getting 3 breastfeeds a day?  Plus trying to feed formula?  If this is correct why are you giving him formula as well.  Babies do not need formula if they are breast fed and on solids too.

By nine months all 3 of mine were having cow's milk on their cereal.

Same thoughts here

#15 LeggyBlonde

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:16 PM

BM, bowel movements folks!

#16 Liadan

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:27 PM

The reason cows milk is not recommended for under 1yo, is because at that age, most infants aren't eating a wide range of foods, and still require either breastmilk or formula to ensure they are getting enough of the nutrients they need for development.

You said your son is eating a wide range of foods, therefore he is most likely getting plenty of nutrients, so a cup of cows milk would be fine, it would help to ensure he is getting enough calcium.

#17 ~Supernova~

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:27 PM

yep, sorry...BM=bowel movements.

#18 monkeys mum

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:29 PM

I wouldnt worry about it, my dd dropped formula before 12months and i just went with it, she had a well balanced diet and was drinking milk she just didnt like formula.

I would get the "better" milk or soy and,make sure he gets plenty of iron in. You will also find once they get active their weight stays around the same but they do keep growing, thats whats happened with all three of mine. It wasnt at a set age but was when they started walking.

#19 Agnodice the Feral

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:57 PM

I have the same problem with my 8 month old. I am weaning (down to two BF a day) and he was previously having another two milk feeds. He took a bottle for a while but refuses formula/breastmilk in it as of the last few weeks. I found he would take a formula smoothie quite happily - formula with some fruit puréed through. Cherub Baby make empty squeezie pouches (like the baby food ones in the supermarket but empty so you can put whatever in it), and I give him his smoothie (which is pretty runny) in that, and he sucks it up.

I asked a paed the same question today (a friend, not my babies doctor) and her answer was that formula at that age may be important for babies who don't otherwise consume a varied diet or enough calories. And not to stress about it, a long as he's getting enough fluid, and a varied diet. Mine eats what we do so I'm not worried about diet, but isn't great at drinking water out of a cup yet (he will but is slow and messy) so until he masters that, I might keep goig with the smoothies, but I think this might be the last box of formula I buy (it's only the second and if I'd run into my friend last week I probably wouldn't have bought it. Once this is done, I'll switch to soy milk or yogurt.

I wouldn't give cows milk in a rush, it's just a bit harder on their guts, and their are so many nutritious and tasty alternatives that aren't cows milk or formula, I don't see a reason to push pure cows milk protein (in yogurt the lactic acid has started to break it down).

A friend nannies a hold with cows milk protein allergy and she would not drink soy formula for live or money, and her mother had to start weaning at around seven months due to work. She was a great eater and basically the adult meals just got put in a blender for her for a while (now she eats them as is), and so her paed told them to just give her soy milk. She's thriving.

Formula is important pre-solids; if your baby is on a good diet otherwise, don't stress.

#20 Feralishous

Posted 15 December 2012 - 03:26 AM

QUOTE (lazycow @ 14/12/2012, 08:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I wouldn't worry about it, as long as he is happy, healthy and eating a varied diet I would go with it. For me, trying to force him to drink formula would cause me more stress than him not having it.

agreed

#21 jennywin

Posted 15 December 2012 - 04:29 AM

In an IDEAL world he would have formula/breast milk till 12 months. But sounds like he is getting what he needs from other sources, and your putting a little formula in cereal etc, so I would let it go.

I think I was on cows milk from the age of 4 months, if not earlier, when that was the accepted norm back in the day. I have been pretty healthy all up.

Listen to your instinct, and your babys instinct.

#22 ~Supernova~

Posted 15 December 2012 - 05:19 AM

Thank you all for the advice, I am going to try to relax about it. It's just stressful when you are basically being told to force feed them. He clearly knows what he wants, and is happy and healthy, so I will try to go with the flow and follow his lead.

Msn, those pouches look fabulous, I was only just looking at them yesterday (I saw it mentioned in a thread somewhere, perhaps by you?) anyway he eats too much for their size LOL.  But I essentially do the smoothie thing too, chuck a few scoops in with some puree fruit, he slurps it down. I guess he just hates the taste of his formula, and to be quite honest, I don't blame him!

Thank you all again for taking the time to respond, I appreciate the advice.

#23 adl

Posted 15 December 2012 - 05:30 AM

I agree with PP...just wanted to say my GF DS was like this, once he got onto solids he ate so well and refused all formula and milk....he is a very healthy 2.5 yo ..she didn't force it, he hit all milestones, height weight and the CHN wasn't concerned..

Whereas my DS was the opposite, was very slow to take food so stayed on formula past 1...but loves milk

I really think he knows what his tastes are, and I think it's upsetting to be so stressed for all of you...

I do hope these posts give you some comfort and ideas to move forward....

#24 Madnesscraves

Posted 15 December 2012 - 05:50 AM

I agree with PPs. my DD was much the same. She ate well, so I dropped the formula she didn't really like. She's one, thriving and happy.

#25 Phascogale

Posted 15 December 2012 - 06:51 AM

I wouldn't stress about the bottles/cups of formula that he isn't having.

But what I would do is continue adding formula to the foods that you are currently doing to around 11/12 months, then switch to cow's milk.  You'll probably find that he's having 200-300mls of formula this way, and most likely more.  Nobody said that you had to have your formula as a liquid either, you could even make a small fruit smoothie or make 'icy poles' (or fruit smoothie icy poles) with it and he could have it that way!

If he's growing, looks and is healthy then he's fine.

Edited by Phascogale, 15 December 2012 - 06:53 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

A mum's tragic battle against inflammatory breast cancer

At just 37 years of age, with two young sons, Vicki was diagnosed with inflammatory breast cancer. Now her family wants all women to know the symptoms.

The business of babies around the world

Pregnancy and birth is an intriguing process no matter where you are in the world. One soon-to-be father gleans wisdom from a new guide.

Finding a positive path through IVF

It’s not surprising that IVF is often seen as a negative journey towards the ultimate positive, but having a glass-half-full approach can make a big difference to the experience.

Giving strangers the gift of parenthood

A mum explains why she and her husband are choosing to gift their leftover embryos to help strangers achieve their dream of parenthood.

Does morning sickness get better or worse with each child?

Just as every baby is unique, so is every pregnancy. And that means morning sickness can vary a lot, too.

What's so wrong with looking 'mumsy', anyway?

Why is it that the word ‘mumsy’ has connotations of such a negative nature – but seems to be the only other option apart from ‘yummy’?

Trying to speed up the inevitable

As the waiting game of late pregnancy continues, this mum considers a few things that might hurry things up a little.

One month later: where is William Tyrell?

It has been a little over a month since William Tyrell disappeared from his grandmother's home, 33 long sleepless nights for his family as they mourn the absence of their cheeky young boy.

Winter's child less likely to be moody: study

Babies born in the summer are much more likely to suffer from mood swings when they grow up, while those born in the winter are less likely to become irritable adults, scientists claim.

Single mum of two creates award-winning baby app

Suddenly single with a baby and an 11-year-old son, Tara O?Connell developed an app to improve the lives of mothers who were similarly overwhelmed.

Food for thought: looking after yourself as a new mum

As soon as your baby enters the world, everything else takes a back seat - even the necessities of daily life such as eating are severely compromised, right when you need energy the most.

'Grabbable guts' campaign aims to cut toxic fat

The Live Lighter campaign will take people inside the human body to show the internal dangers of being overweight.

The best and worst month of my life

A new mum's first month of motherhood didn't pan out as expected when she lost a family member weeks after her baby's birth.

Facebook and Apple offer to pay female staff to freeze their eggs

Facebook and Apple are hoping to provide women with the freedom to build their careers without the added pressure of having children at or by a certain age.

How a pregnancy contract could work for you and your partner

The idea of making a 'pregnancy contract' with your partner may sound a bit silly at first, but it can help make the transition to parenthood a lot smoother.

Finding a mum-friendly personal trainer

Burping babies vs burpees – yes, new mums and personal trainers live in different worlds. But they can work together - once you find the right match for you and your lifestyle.

Alleged baby snatch incident a ?misunderstanding?, say police

Police say that an incident in which a man pulled on a woman?s pram while walking a popular Sydney route late last month was a misunderstanding.

Ebola killed my aunt and is shutting down my country

Three weeks ago, my auntie, a midwife, developed a fever. Sitting here in Sydney basked in Australian sunshine, that shouldn't be big news.

The night my ovary burst

One mum shares her frightening experience and vows to never take her health for granted again.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

The 'yucky' illness that took over my life

I have a chronic illness nobody likes to discuss, as it involves toilet talk. But it needs to be talked about.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.