11 year old daughter .... at a complete loss.

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 busymum01

Posted 14 December 2012 - 07:54 PM

This shouldn't be this hard. My daughter has no 'real' interests - she pots around dabbling in all sorts but has never really been passionate about something. Her brothers on the other hand always know what they like or want...

So for DD for Christmas I have her a couple of the little sets of Friend's Lego (admittedly I bought these for someone else but they already had them), some Kikki K/Smiggle bits, a Junior Masterchef slice kit, a few books and a small hair dryer and well that's it.

I know that those alone would probably suffice but there's nothing there that I know will have her jumping out of her skin in excitement. Please share with me, what are you giving your tween girls for Christmas?

#2 sammyv

Posted 14 December 2012 - 07:59 PM

We are looking at a Ipod or a digital photo frame, she got a camera last year.

#3 Expelliarmus

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:01 PM

A 12 and 11yo here:
iTunes gift cards
Hair straightener and curler
Hunger Games books and stationery
One Direction paraphernalia
Glow in the Dark Geleeze
Nailpolish and make up
Fruit Ninja and Angry Birds Board games

I fully anticipate the 1D pillow will make the excitement levels rise   tongue.gif

#4 Therese

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:03 PM

One direction anything would be a hit with my 9 and 12 year olds.

What about a camera ?

#5 wildflowers

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:05 PM

Lego Friends
Our Australian Girl books
Sea Monkeys
Gift Card

My DD is 11 and doesnt have a main interest either.  She does love horse riding and dogs.  What about a membership to an online game she might like.

#6 kadoodle

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:06 PM

Skateboard
Remote control spider
Couple of books
Clothes
Some choccies

#7 girltribe4

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:07 PM

Similar to your 11yr old mine is getting Lego but there was a large city police station she wanted .
She is also getting a new Ipod touch , a guitar tuner and a music stand .

I bought her a tub of clay & some tools but think I may save that for her 12th birthday in March.

#8 Carmen02

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:09 PM

my almost 11yr old is getting a PSP and games for christmas, how would she like a gift card to go pick out things herself?? my DD would adore that.

#9 Expelliarmus

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:13 PM

I forgot the jewellery. Cheap and cheerful from Target and Diva.

#10 busymum01

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:15 PM

Thanks for the suggestions so far - we bought an iPod touch for her for Christmas last year so perhaps a dock or something might be a good idea for that....

Totally agree with the PP'er who suggested the guitar, however she is learning at school so we have that covered and I know it's AWFUL but I shudder when my family give our kids gift cards because DD always, without a doubt, spends hers on *&%$^%% (not so great stuff).

She loves to get in the kitchen and have a go but has not much of an idea (for her bday in November I gave  her the cooking school cookbook for kids. Perhaps I could do up a box of pretty cupcake cases and cake decorating bits and bobs.

One  Direction is also a huge hit. Though I've no idea where to buy any of their merchandise.  unsure.gif

#11 Frau Farbissina

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:16 PM

Would she like something like her own fish bowl and a fish? Perhaps a beautiful Siamese fighting fish?

[Obviously giving pets for Christmas is often a big no no but I think a fish is not too intense to look after at that age, and I guess if it doesn't interest her, you'd only do it if you were prepared to continue looking after it yourself]

#12 Expelliarmus

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:21 PM

http://www.onedirectionstore.com.au/

If you happen to be in Adelaide ... http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/entertainmen...u-1226528006801
There is one in Sydney until Dec 31st as well.

Target had a bunch of stuff but I think it's probably sold out in most stores now.

Edited by howdo, 14 December 2012 - 08:22 PM.

#13 ~THE~MAGICIAN~

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:26 PM

My 11 yo is into One Direction too. They have their merchandise at Target (some gorgeous cushions for the bed and lots of stationery)

Some of what she is getting (some are shared gifts with her 9yo sister)

Smiggle (most favourite shop)
Furby
Jewelry Boutique
Karaoke
Soda Stream
Underwater camera
Torch (for upcoming camping trip)
Sketch pad

Edited by ~THE~MAGICIAN~, 14 December 2012 - 08:58 PM.

#14 mumto3princesses

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:30 PM

I saw pencil cases and notebooks etc either at Kmart or Target. Mine only like their music and not really them as such so I didn't pay too much attention. It was a whole small shelf of one Direction stuff.

My 13yr old loves Hunger Games and is getting a notebook, bookmark and the pin. One of her sisters is giving her some nice earphones for her ipod which had some bling of some sort on it from Gloss. All 3 of my girls want some nail polish from Gloss that is meant to change colour depending on mood. DD#1 is also getting stuff to decorate her room with like a new quilt, some ornaments and lamp.

#15 mintpatty

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:31 PM

My 10 year old is getting (not all from us)

Books
Smiggle night light
Rubiks Cube
Body Shop: Strawberry Body Polish, Body butter, lip balm
2 x Sticker Mosaic kits
Puzzle
Flower Bouquet Craft Kit
Kimono (Because Delta Goodrem wears one in the movie Hating Alison Ashley)
Jenga
Jewellry box
Magazine subscription
Art classes (my Dad has booked her in and paid for her for 2 days in the holidays)
Perfume

#16 FiveAus

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:31 PM

QUOTE (busymum01 @ 14/12/2012, 09:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks for the suggestions so far - we bought an iPod touch for her for Christmas last year so perhaps a dock or something might be a good idea for that....

Totally agree with the PP'er who suggested the guitar, however she is learning at school so we have that covered and I know it's AWFUL but I shudder when my family give our kids gift cards because DD always, without a doubt, spends hers on *&%$^%% (not so great stuff).

She loves to get in the kitchen and have a go but has not much of an idea (for her bday in November I gave  her the cooking school cookbook for kids. Perhaps I could do up a box of pretty cupcake cases and cake decorating bits and bobs.

One  Direction is also a huge hit. Though I've no idea where to buy any of their merchandise.  unsure.gif

I have an iPhone and needed to buy myself a new bedroom alarm clock. I got one I could dock my iPhone in, it synchs the time with the iPhone so I never have to set it if the power goes out, just plug the iPhone into the dock. And I can listen to the iPhone (music, audio books etc) in bed at night, and also have the iPod come on as the alarm (or the radio or a buzzer). I absolutely LOVE it, it was just a cheap thing from Kmart and it's fantastic. Maybe something like that for your daughter....useful, and she can use it with her iPod. Plus it charges it overnight.

#17 Expelliarmus

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:34 PM

LOL I keep remembering - I got the 11yo a Fur Real pet as well. Not a full size one a baby one.

#18 Funnington

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:35 PM

DD#1 is also getting stuff to decorate her room with like a new quilt, some ornaments and lamp.

I was coming in to suggest this.  When my girls were around this age, I bought them a few 'stocking filler' things that I thought would go unnoticed.  It turned out they were their favourites little things.  I bought 'grown up' Provincial type trinkets and bits n pieces for their rooms.  Like little topiary trees for bedside tables, chunky white frames, neutral coloured throw rugs for the beds (instead of their baby blankets rolleyes.gif ), throw cushions and cool lamps.  

They absolutely loved them and still have all the things in their rooms.  It must have been like a morph into growing up (moving away from the little girly type decorations).

#19 KT1978

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:35 PM

What about movie tickets (museum/zoo)?  Books?

Dd is getting a new bike. We aren't buying anything else because we've just been overseas and she bought heaps. Mum will get her some beanie kids.

at this age, it's less about toys but I still like outdoor gifts like bikes, surfboards etc or non clutter stuff like a day out to buying more grown up stuff like makeup or jewellery. But my dd is 10 so that will come soon I guess!

#20 busymum01

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:45 PM

DD#1 is also getting stuff to decorate her room with like a new quilt, some ornaments and lamp.

I was coming in to suggest this. When my girls were around this age, I bought them a few 'stocking filler' things that I thought would go unnoticed. It turned out they were their favourites little things. I bought 'grown up' Provincial type trinkets and bits n pieces for their rooms. Like little topiary trees for bedside tables, chunky white frames, neutral coloured throw rugs for the beds (instead of their baby blankets rolleyes.gif ), throw cushions and cool lamps.

You know this is a fabulous idea, we've just moved into a new home and I know she'd love to put her own stamp on her room. And I now recall how much she loved getting Smiggle pencil tins (of all things!) for her desk from a friend for her birthday.

I'll see if I can find a nice pinup board or something to display her five million cute notes from her besties and photos etc. GREAT PLAN EBers!

While I'm perusing I'll also keep my eye out for cheap and cheerful jewellery and ipod alarm clock.

Thanks peeps! xoxo  biggrin.gif

#21 Feral Lemur

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:52 PM

roller blades / tennis raquet / boogie board, table tennis table

music / dancing stuff

cool clothes / shoes

bean bags and other items to make a space into a social for her and her friends

#22 Feralmummacat

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:12 PM

QUOTE (busymum01 @ 14/12/2012, 08:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What about a kids cooking class? There are a few around that do school holiday programs as well.

I just googled and got heaps like:

http://www.gourmetkids.com.au/school-holid...oliday-packages

#23 pencil

Posted 15 December 2012 - 11:28 AM

I've bought a karaoke machine for my 'going to be a rockstar' DD. I know I will be regretting it about two weeks from now, but she will love it.

What about a microphone and speakers? A music stand for her music? Toystores have One Direction dolls. A bunch of make-up and hair items, curler or straightener?

#24 Luvmy4ferals

Posted 15 December 2012 - 11:36 AM

QUOTE (mummacat @ 14/12/2012, 07:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What about a kids cooking class? There are a few around that do school holiday programs as well.

I just googled and got heaps like:

http://www.gourmetkids.com.au/school-holid...oliday-packages

i was going to say this. Maybe it will be the thing she finds she is passionate about.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Share the little things that make you smile

We're giving away a Mountain Buggy nano, the ultimate travel stroller - and here are some of the great entries so far.

Toddler pleads for return of "stolen" nose

A two-year-old's reaction to a game of "got your nose" shows it doesn't take much to make a toddler cry.

The 15 photos new parents share (and five they don't)

From the first scan photo to the baby covered in cake at their first birthday party, there are 15 photos most parents seem to share - and some they don't.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

Breastfeeding friendly café goes viral

A photo of a breastfeeding-friendly sign in a cafe has been posted to Facebook and shared by hundreds of mums around the world.

First look at the Bugaboo Bee3

The newest Bugaboo Bee ? the Bee3 ? offers a variety of improved features, including a much asked-for bassinet and a rainbow of colour combinations.

Childcare costs, not paid leave, the real issue for parents

Given the choice between maintaining their wage for six months to have a child, or having a reduced rate of pay for a time but a better deal on childcare when returning to work, there are no odds on what most working parents would choose.

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

We lost three babies in two years

Our first pregnancy ended the way we all expected it to - with a healthy, happy baby in our arms. What a true blessing he was, for we were not to know the heartache we were about endure.

Family turned back from doomed flight MH17

'There must have been someone watching over us and saying, 'You must not get on that flight,' says mother who narrowly avoided boarding the Malaysian Airlines flight which exploded in mid-air over the Ukraine last night.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Adorable Skeanie loafers for kids

Your little toddler or preschooler can now get their nautical on with a new range of classic loafers by Australian show brand Skeanie.

My baby is hypermobile

For months, I have been telling myself not to worry that Jasmin isn't crawling or walking. This week I heard the term hypermobile for the first time.

When you don?t bond with your baby

They say that there is no bond greater than the bond between a mother and her child. But for some women, the mother-baby bond takes more time and effort to develop.

Yumi Stynes: Having a baby after a 10-year break

After a long break, Yumi Stynes gets a reminder of the pain - and the pleasure - of giving birth.

Grieving father asks for help to Photoshop his daughter's image

When Nathan Steffel's daughter Sophia died from a liver condition at just 6 weeks old, he reached out for someone to create a beautiful image of his little girl.

Raising kids in a 'low media' home

Can you imagine a life without TV or computers? Some parents are opting for a low-tech, screen-free life for their kids.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

The beautiful moment a baby was born at the side of a road

It's not where she expected to give birth, but mum Corrine Cinatl is delighted that her daughter's roadside arrival was captured in a series of beautiful photos.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

The Nappy Collective starts new drive

It's that time of year when the dedicated volunteers at The Nappy Collective do their bit to help out mums and children in need - and they need your help.

Baby shower cake wrecks

From misshapen cake babies to questionable text, from odd colour choices to internal organ recreation, these are the baby shower cakes that taste forgot.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

Pregnancy progression photo ideas

Want to record your pregnancy as your belly grows? Here are some creative, fun ideas for photo shoots along the way.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Tin can craft and DIY ideas

Got a few old formula, Milo or coffee cans around the house? Use these fantastic upcycling ideas to create items for around the house and yard.

Dads meet their newborn for the first time

Emotional photos of two fathers meeting their newborn son have resonated with viewers worldwide, attracting thousands of Facebook likes and shares.

Skin safety isn't just a summer worry

Lax about the slip slop slap with your kids as weather turns cooler? Here's a reminder as to why we have to remain vigilant for our children?s future health.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Creative sleeping baby photoshoots

See how some parents and photographers have captured sleeping babies in unusual positions and using different props.

DIY kitchen and food hacks

DIY your way to a better kitchen and make cooking easier with our clever hacks. (Some content reproduced with permission from mashable.com.)

Winter warmers for babies and toddlers

Your baby or toddler will be nice and snug in these beautiful and fun winter pieces. Most are hand-made or knitted, and they're all designed to keep your little one toastie - and adorable!

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.