How to deal with family
Money topics

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
20 replies to this topic

#1 threelittlegems

Posted 14 December 2012 - 07:38 PM

Changed my mind.

Edited by threelittlegems, 15 December 2012 - 06:03 AM.

#2 threelittlegems

Posted 14 December 2012 - 07:58 PM

No one has any thoughts to add?

No one has any thoughts to add?

#3 Ice Queen

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:09 PM

I think you do have to take some responsibility......noone held a gun to your head to take their apartments on nor did anyone hold a gun to your head to agree to 10%.

BUT having said that if you are not happy, you should most definitely cut ties on a business level.  I think your date of 30 June is a good idea, plenty of time for them to find new managers.  When giving reasons you need to keep everything professional and simple.  Saying things like 'you crashed my business from day 1' just sounds petty and sour grapes.  Nothing wrong with crashing businesses if everyone makes money and it works out!

Congratulations on building up such a great successful business. biggrin.gif

#4 threelittlegems

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:14 PM

[ (

Edited by threelittlegems, 15 December 2012 - 06:04 AM.

#5 Mpjp is feral

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:15 PM

Am not sure what thioughts you are looking for if you've already resolved by deciding to no longer manage their apartments after June?

I think its just a lesson that family and business dont mix!

#6 threelittlegems

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:17 PM

Edited by threelittlegems, 15 December 2012 - 06:05 AM.

#7 ~iMum~

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:18 PM

It sounds like you know what you're doing and have real passion for it. It also sounds like they saw you as a way to increase their wealth, but they don't have the same passion and resources you do and that they have sour grapes over your success. If you want/need to stay in their lives, I'd stop doing business with them. Yes, it will make the relationship strained in the short term, but it will/should blow over eventually. The alternative is to stay in business with them and continue to have this stress.

#8 FeralRebelWClaws

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:22 PM

Yeah I'd telling them that it isn't working for you either so it's best they get new management.

They'll probably be p*ssed off, but they are now, so what's the difference? Other than you won't have the pain of dealing with the property.

#9 jennywin

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:22 PM

Dont do busines with family and friends? Advice that I have recieved and stuck to happily!

#10 Mpjp is feral

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:23 PM

QUOTE (threelittlegems @ 14/12/2012, 09:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I guess it is just the boring:

- do you think I'm right

- have I missed something

- would you be happy with  $900 per week for an apartment which cost $600k (with furniture)

I'd be estatically happy with that return - especially on ST accomodation - as pp said it sounds like you've built a great business there.

But...given how it seemed you felt annoyed from the word go I probably would never have gone there in the first place - but I realise this is easier said than done with insistent, persistent family members.

#11 Ice Queen

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:25 PM

QUOTE (threelittlegems @ 14/12/2012, 06:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thank you for your input:-)

I guess if it were one of our other investors (not family ) it wouldn't hurt so much.

But when it is family, and they are getting a discount which they would have gotten for life, and the only reason it isn't an amazing return is the decisions they have made. But is still a very good return, and they complain to the family about it, it's a bit hard not to be bitter.

Okay now I understand a bit better what you are asking.  Yes, you do have a right to be upset/hurt of course.  Some people are just not as smart at business and dont want to face reality and do the sums to realise things are their own fault, much easier to blame an easy target...in this case you.  They probably dont have any concept of where they went wrong and dont realise that you dont make millions instantly when you go into a business.

As I said, definitely make a clean break as quietly and trouble free as possible.  As for the moaning to the family well you probably need to be prepared for it to get worst to start with.  It will get better and chances are your family know how well you are doing so just listen and nod at them.

Try and move past it OP and dont take it personally, the problem is with them not you.

Edited by Ehill, 14 December 2012 - 08:27 PM.

#12 threelittlegems

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:31 PM

QUOTE (meplainjanebrain @ 14/12/2012, 09:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'd be estatically happy with that return - especially on ST accomodation - as pp said it sounds like you've built a great business there.

But...given how it seemed you felt annoyed from the word go I probably would never have gone there in the first place - but I realise this is easier said than done with insistent, persistent family members.

I wasn't annoyed from the word go, other than they purchased in buildings I told them not not, and purchased furniture I told them not to  biggrin.gif

We have other family members, and outside investors, which are ecstatic with their return. I would never have gotten to this point with my brother and SIL, if I hadn't of listened to constant whining for four years second hand.

#13 adl

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:37 PM

I agree to cut ties in the business sense,

if they ark up, say something like well really after considering  your email, comments made, we realised you obviously weren't happy with the arrangement but didn't want or know how to move on so for the sake of family we believe its better for everyone not to work together in this capacity ....

And make that clear to the others as well, you have put family relationships first  biggrin.gif

#14 Born Slippy

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:40 PM

I am concerned with the level of detail in your post and ability to be easily identified...

As for the questions, I agree with adl. Cut ties and give a straightforward "family before business" explanation.

#15 KT1978

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:44 PM

Congratulations on your success! It sounds like you have done a fantastic job of building a successful business.

Cut ties with the family business and don't look back. They probably thought that you would do everything for "free". They will be worse off.

#16 ReadySetRace

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:52 PM

You have done the right thing. Neither party is happy and it's time to cut business ties. Are your brother  & SIL the kind of people that whinge about everything? I suspect they'll whinge about those apartments for years but because you are not running it, it won't hurt like it does now.

It sounds like you just wanted to be acknowledged for your hard work and success but it isn't going to happen from them...

Congratulations BTW, you've done a great job.

#17 MammaBee81

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:12 PM

Yes, some people just don't know how to play nice. But that's tough when you have to (and want to!) have a relationship with them outside of the business.

I would take a more diplomatic approach and let them know that despite the success that the two parties have realised by holding a joint interest in the past, you have decided that things have changed a little (which happens in business). A) it seems as if your siblings are not realising their full potential in an investment sense (even if they are!!), and B) this problem is putting too much of a strain on your relationship.

As you value them as family, you think it would be in their best interests to invest elsewhere, so that they can truly realise their financial potential, and so that you are not burdened with the issues that arise from the business relationship.

It's a good thing you are venting anonymously - I would keep other family members away from the details and drama as much as possible, (even if your siblings dont afford you the same courtesy).

Good luck!

#18 Jellyblush

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:21 PM

I'm sorry you are experiencing this. I see two separate questions in your post - are they getting a good deal (are you giving them a good deal!) and should you continue.

I also run a short term let business - not on your scale, I have one property only. YES there are getting a good deal and good service.  NO you shouldn't continue - if they don't appreciate it, they'll never appreciate it. The only way they will, is if they have to do what you currently do for a while. So, let them manage it themselves for a while. It's the only way they will see the value of what you do. Maybe later you can go back to this arrangements, with a new appreciation from them?

Also, as it is family, try to remember it's hard for them to envisiage what the real costs are if they have never expeirenced them. I know my friends think I am in clover. They don't see the hours washing, cleaning, sorting keys etc. Rather than be upset, try to educate them?

All the best.

Just my thoughts.

#19 LambChop

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:26 PM

I think enough is enough, just go with ... clearly you are unhappy with how I manage things, and I'm unhappy with the constant complaining when I do more for you than any other investor for a cheaper price.  I think that is is time for us to part ways before this turns in to a real blow up.

#20 Girlo

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:27 PM

I'd love to write something insightful and helpful; BUT..... It is 10:30 on a Friday night and I have drunk 2/3 of a bottle of wine  roll2.gif

Perhaps re-post in the morning for more thoughtful responses???  biggrin.gif

#21 jessie123

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:34 PM

You need to just cut all business ties with them.

I remember you wrote about them and this issue a while ago - what happened ?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Share the little things that make you smile

We're giving away a Mountain Buggy nano, the ultimate travel stroller - and here are some of the great entries so far.

Toddler pleads for return of "stolen" nose

A two-year-old's reaction to a game of "got your nose" shows it doesn't take much to make a toddler cry.

The 15 photos new parents share (and five they don't)

From the first scan photo to the baby covered in cake at their first birthday party, there are 15 photos most parents seem to share - and some they don't.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

Breastfeeding friendly café goes viral

A photo of a breastfeeding-friendly sign in a cafe has been posted to Facebook and shared by hundreds of mums around the world.

First look at the Bugaboo Bee3

The newest Bugaboo Bee ? the Bee3 ? offers a variety of improved features, including a much asked-for bassinet and a rainbow of colour combinations.

Childcare costs, not paid leave, the real issue for parents

Given the choice between maintaining their wage for six months to have a child, or having a reduced rate of pay for a time but a better deal on childcare when returning to work, there are no odds on what most working parents would choose.

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

We lost three babies in two years

Our first pregnancy ended the way we all expected it to - with a healthy, happy baby in our arms. What a true blessing he was, for we were not to know the heartache we were about endure.

Family turned back from doomed flight MH17

'There must have been someone watching over us and saying, 'You must not get on that flight,' says mother who narrowly avoided boarding the Malaysian Airlines flight which exploded in mid-air over the Ukraine last night.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Adorable Skeanie loafers for kids

Your little toddler or preschooler can now get their nautical on with a new range of classic loafers by Australian show brand Skeanie.

My baby is hypermobile

For months, I have been telling myself not to worry that Jasmin isn't crawling or walking. This week I heard the term hypermobile for the first time.

When you don?t bond with your baby

They say that there is no bond greater than the bond between a mother and her child. But for some women, the mother-baby bond takes more time and effort to develop.

Yumi Stynes: Having a baby after a 10-year break

After a long break, Yumi Stynes gets a reminder of the pain - and the pleasure - of giving birth.

Grieving father asks for help to Photoshop his daughter's image

When Nathan Steffel's daughter Sophia died from a liver condition at just 6 weeks old, he reached out for someone to create a beautiful image of his little girl.

Raising kids in a 'low media' home

Can you imagine a life without TV or computers? Some parents are opting for a low-tech, screen-free life for their kids.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

WIN two Sea-Bands plus $1000

Three lucky fans can win a Sea-Band Prize Pack valued at over $1000 each, which includes two Sea-Bands plus a $1000 Eftpos Gift Card!

The beautiful moment a baby was born at the side of a road

It's not where she expected to give birth, but mum Corrine Cinatl is delighted that her daughter's roadside arrival was captured in a series of beautiful photos.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

The Nappy Collective starts new drive

It's that time of year when the dedicated volunteers at The Nappy Collective do their bit to help out mums and children in need - and they need your help.

Baby shower cake wrecks

From misshapen cake babies to questionable text, from odd colour choices to internal organ recreation, these are the baby shower cakes that taste forgot.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

Pregnancy progression photo ideas

Want to record your pregnancy as your belly grows? Here are some creative, fun ideas for photo shoots along the way.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Tin can craft and DIY ideas

Got a few old formula, Milo or coffee cans around the house? Use these fantastic upcycling ideas to create items for around the house and yard.

Dads meet their newborn for the first time

Emotional photos of two fathers meeting their newborn son have resonated with viewers worldwide, attracting thousands of Facebook likes and shares.

Skin safety isn't just a summer worry

Lax about the slip slop slap with your kids as weather turns cooler? Here's a reminder as to why we have to remain vigilant for our children?s future health.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Creative sleeping baby photoshoots

See how some parents and photographers have captured sleeping babies in unusual positions and using different props.

DIY kitchen and food hacks

DIY your way to a better kitchen and make cooking easier with our clever hacks. (Some content reproduced with permission from mashable.com.)

Winter warmers for babies and toddlers

Your baby or toddler will be nice and snug in these beautiful and fun winter pieces. Most are hand-made or knitted, and they're all designed to keep your little one toastie - and adorable!

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.