Male GP refusing to do a pap smear

• Please log in to reply
125 replies to this topic

#1 Riotproof

Posted 14 December 2012 - 02:52 PM

I've just been along to my GP for my pap smear, a bit overdue but I took the opportunity because DH took a random day off and I left DS with him.
He refused to do it, saying it's better to get a female Dr to do it, I told him that I was fine with him, and he still refused. They booked me another appointment for Tuesday.

Is it me or is it just weird? I spoke to the receptionist afterwards and she said none of the male Dr's at the clinic will do one for public liability reasons, and they only have the one female GP. I suppose I could have insisted, but it would have been pretty uncomfortable for both of us.

Edited by Riotproof, 14 December 2012 - 02:52 PM.

#2 JRA

Posted 14 December 2012 - 02:54 PM

My old doctor stopped doing pap smears, I actually was a bit annoyed as well, but then decided given todays day and age, sadly I could understand.

My OB was then male and it seemed ridiculous again that a male doctor would not do a pap smear.

Now, even though I have changed clinics (for other reasons) I book in to a female doctor for a pap smear, as my main GP is female, not because I wanted a female GP though

#3 luke's mummu

Posted 14 December 2012 - 02:55 PM

At my medical centre, I'm not sure what the official policy is, but they try hard to steer you to a female GP e.g. reminder letters state Drs XXX and YYY (both female) are available to do your pap smear on such-and-such days.

My obstetrician (male) did it at the 6 week's post birth check-up for both of my  babies.

#4 Guest_AllegraM_*

Posted 14 December 2012 - 02:56 PM

My male GP does them, but always has a nurse in the room at the time.

#5 katniss

Posted 14 December 2012 - 02:57 PM

Gosh, that's ridiculous. What is this world coming too.

#6 PatG

Posted 14 December 2012 - 02:57 PM

Wow, that's amazing.  Does the clinic have nurses?  If so they could possibly get one of them to "chaperone" the procedure?  What a world we live in when a professional can't do his job...  This can't be normal though - what about all the country towns with only one (or less than one) doctor who is male, their patients can't be expected to travel hours to see a female doctor for a simple, straightforward, very important procedure.

#7 noi'mnot

Posted 14 December 2012 - 02:59 PM

This startled me too, when I first came across it. In my experience, many male doctors will get a female nurse to chaperone for a pap smear. These days, many clinics have a practice nurse (often female) who does pap smears.

#8 Riotproof

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:03 PM

I think I feel annoyed that I had geared myself up for it (as you do) with a Dr I've seen for two years and now I have to go and see a different Dr just because of what she has between her legs. And now I'll have the toddler in the waiting room to entertain.

QUOTE (luke's mummu @ 14/12/2012, 03:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
At my medical centre, I'm not sure what the official policy is, but they try hard to steer you to a female GP e.g. reminder letters state Drs XXX and YYY (both female) are available to do your pap smear on such-and-such days.

My obstetrician (male) did it at the 6 week's post birth check-up for both of my  babies.

I'm trying to be responsible since we'll start TTC in the new year and this was something I needed to tick off of my list.

QUOTE (katniss @ 14/12/2012, 03:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Gosh, that's ridiculous. What is this world coming too.

I agree. The receptionist said if i had told her what I was booking for, she would have told me. I don't like the idea of having to discuss your reason for an appointment with a receptionist unless you're bleeding.

#9 solongsuckers

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:05 PM

My male GP does mine, no nurse in the room.

He is a doctor, not some dirty old perve.

As PP said, what is the world coming to?

#10 Riotproof

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:07 PM

QUOTE (PatG @ 14/12/2012, 03:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wow, that's amazing.  Does the clinic have nurses?  If so they could possibly get one of them to "chaperone" the procedure?  What a world we live in when a professional can't do his job...  This can't be normal though - what about all the country towns with only one (or less than one) doctor who is male, their patients can't be expected to travel hours to see a female doctor for a simple, straightforward, very important procedure.

They only have a pathology nurse.

I am a bit slack I know, but pap smears are very important and it feels wrong that they should make it harder to access one.

#11 CallMeFeral

Wow. I had no idea that was happening.
My GP is female so I guess I haven't had the opportunity to come across it, but it is sad.

#12 Feral Becky

It is just one of those 'sign of the times' OP, sorry.

I had a pelvic US PV this year and the receptionist had to come in although the sonographer was female ohmy.gif

Sometimes I think it is worse to have all these gawkers than just the original person only. unsure.gif

I work on a ward and nearly always we go with a doctor to listen to a patients chest etc and ABs*utELY always if a male doctor is looking at a young girls 'bottom area' for instance. Dunno how gynos, obstetricians get around it as it is not my field.

#13 Bwok~Bwok

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:09 PM

It is sad - all the fertility treatment I've had recently

During scans, EPU, Transfers - basically anything to do with down yonder - has had a female nurse and she stands where she can see everything going on down there.

#14 Riotproof

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:12 PM

QUOTE (LindsayMK @ 14/12/2012, 04:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It is just one of those 'sign of the times' OP, sorry.

Dunno how gynos, obstetricians get around it as it is not my field.

I recently had an internal pelvic ultrasound with a male radiographer at a major hospital. Honestly, it doesn't bother me at all. I see it as one of those things you just occasionally have to do.

So, I wonder if I had a concern about a lump on my breast would I need to book with the "lady" GP?

#15 julzely

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:12 PM

I am appalled at the state of society if our concern about inappropriate behavior is leading to professionals being unable/unwilling to do their job.

#16 Funwith3

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:16 PM

How weird, I've never heard of this before! My GP is a male and he has always done it for me. I've never give it a second thought. Same as a male GP did my Mirena.

#17 it'stime

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:19 PM

I thought this has always been the case.

My GP is male but I always let them know when I am coming in for a pap smear due to this. I thought it was common tbh.

#18 SDEE

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:19 PM

Mine's the same, though female health nurse can chaperone. I really dont have an issue with a male GP doing it all the OBs in this town are male... and really they dont see much when they are doing a pap smear

#19 Riotproof

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:21 PM

QUOTE (Madame Catty @ 14/12/2012, 04:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
OP, I always tell the receptionist when I'm having a pap smear.  It allows the GP to set up for the appointment, extra appointment time if necessary.  Why wouldn't you want the receptionist knowing?  I'm sure they're not giggling at the water cooler discussing your up coming pap smear.

Because I don't think it's any of her business and I have heard her say some very inappropriate things at times, even though she's a lovely lady.

IME, a pap is a very quick procedure 2 minutes tops, so even allowing for talking I can be in and out in 15 minutes.

I understand that some women do prefer female's for this sort of thing, but I don't care. I've had a baby, a catheter, sometimes you just have to get on with it.

#20 julz78

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:23 PM

My male gp does them with no fuss but previously I have had a pelvic exam at medical centre and male dr needed a female chaperone and once at hospital had male gynaecologist registrar ask for a nurse to observe but they were all busy so he asked my permission to go it alone.

#21 ritten

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:24 PM

I have always had an observer for any internal exams/tests regardless of if the GP/radiographer is male or female unless I have brought someone with me.  In some small places, this has been the receptionist.

I just thought it was standard practice!

Would find it strange for them to refuse to do it though - and if the clinic had a policy like that, you would think it would be advertised, they way they let you know about longer appointment times etc...

#22 Goggie

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:25 PM

This has always been the case at my GP's office. A nurse or female admin staff is always in the room if a make does an internal. It's just life and while slightly sad, there must have been a reason as to why the medical association put this rule in place.

QUOTE (Riotproof @ 14/12/2012, 04:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The receptionist said if i had told her what I was booking for, she would have told me. I don't like the idea of having to discuss your reason for an appointment with a receptionist unless you're bleeding.

Why don't you feel comfortable telling the receptionist?? They are medical receptionists, trust me they see and hear much worse things than 'I'd like to make an appointment for a Pap test please'...

#23 frizzle

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:27 PM

My parents were telling me a while back that the drs at their clinic wouldn't do a breast exam by themselves. I thought it was ridiculous so I imagine they would be the same with smears. Our gp does them solo, my gyno is male too and does them by himself too. I doubt either of them get their jollies with me in there with my fat bum up in the air  wink.gif

I always tell the receptionist too so he has enough time aside.

#24 Feral Becky

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:29 PM

Another thought OP. I don't use them but friends do- Womens Health Clinics. I think all the staff are female. Some have a creche there, so ring and find out. They will send the results along to your GP. original.gif

#25 Jekaho

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:30 PM

QUOTE (AllegraM @ 14/12/2012, 03:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My male GP does them, but always has a nurse in the room at the time.

Same with my male GP (unless he has a student with him - that one time was fun  unsure.gif ), and same as my Ob.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Win a Mountain Buggy Swift

To celebrate Essential Baby reaching half a million Facebook fans, we have a Mountain Buggy Swift to giveaway to a lucky fan.

Shopping with kids: breaking the pester-power cycle

You're out shopping with your little one and they're incessantly whining that they want a treat. It's easy to say no ... the first time, at least.

eBay jacket may hold clue to murdered girl's identity

A jacket similar to the one found with the remains of a brutally murdered little girl in South Australia has been identified on eBay.

New mum forced back to work early due to paid parental leave 'technicality'

Shelley Parker had to keep driving buses until the date her baby was due and will have to rush back to work at the end of this week after being denied paid parental leave on a "technicality".

Pregnant Amanda Palmer poses naked for book drive

It has to be the most original way ever of promoting a children's book donation day.

The conception dilemma facing many parents today

Some parents who conceived through a sperm donor will be wary of telling the child, while others prefer to deal with it early on. But recent research suggests it makes little difference either way.

The wedding photo the bridesmaid would rather forget

We've probably all seen a passed-out bridesmaid at one wedding or another, but it usually happens towards the end of the night.

Pregnant TV meteorologist takes on haters

Pregnant TV meteorologist Katie Fehlinger has hit back at haters who called her a "sausage in casing".

Honest words from first-time mums

I didn't want to say anything negative to my pregnant friend, but I wish I'd been more honest.

Adorable baby experiences rain for the first time, couldn't be happier

Harper had seen rain from the comfort of indoors before, but had never had the pleasure of being outside and experiencing it first hand.

What it's really like to start a family in your fifties

Many people suppose that it must be much more tiring to have a baby in middle age, but all the mothers in the playground look exhausted, whatever their age.

'Biggest hypocrite ever': Josh Duggar admits to Ashley Madison account

An American reality TV star has been busted with a cheating website account, according to US media.

Long recovery ahead for girl hit by car weeks after baby brother's death

A little girl is more alert and starting to talk after being hit by a car a week ago, but still faces a long recovery.

How to react when a toddler lies

Q: My almost-3-year-old is starting to figure out that he can lie when asked if he ripped the book, threw the food, hit his brother, etc. Totally normal, I know. How do we respond?

The circular experience of a Centrelink client

A mum-to-be experiences the frustration of dealing with Centrelink, myGov and everything in between.

Kelly Clarkson announces live on stage: 'I'm pregnant!'

Singer Kelly Clarkson has announced she is pregnant with her second child during a concert in Los Angeles.

Hack

How to search the leaked Ashley Madison data

At least three sites are republishing Ashley Madison's user data on the public-facing internet.

Mum dances her way through labour

There are a fair few ways to distract yourself and beat pains while in labour, but it's probably a rare woman who chooses her dance her way through it.

'Rest in peace, my little lion': premmie baby Jacob passes away

Baby Jacob, whose photo of him born at just 27 weeks was deemed 'too graphic' for a fundraising site, has died.

Mum killed three young sons 'to help her daughter', prosecutor says

Niall Pilkington's death last summer apparently raised little alarm in Bellefontaine, Ohio. Tragic accidents happen, after all.

Shorter women have shorter pregnancies: study

When a group of researchers studied nearly 3500 mothers and their babies, they noticed a curious pattern.

Get your FREE Baby & Toddler Show ticket!

Get your free ticket to the Sydney Essential Baby & Toddler Show for September 25-27 - register online now.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

The worst 20 minutes of my life

Thirty seconds was all it took to turn a shopping trip into my worst nightmare.

Top baby names for England and Wales in 2014

George has overtaken William in the official rankings of most popular British baby names - and Game of Thrones is still having an impact on parents.

Baseball or baby? Dad's tough choice

What's more important, a baby or a baseball? That's a question this dad seems to struggle with.

Childbirth choices: five star or free?

It's not often you hear the words labour and luxury in the same sentence but for some, a 5-star start to parenthood is exactly what they seek. And with a number of private hospitals now offering packages which include a post-birth stay at a sumptuous first class resort, many mums are choosing to recover in style.

'Where did your boobies go, Mummy?' and other soul-destroying comments from kids

Most women carry a smidge of baby weight after giving birth. If you're lucky enough to have an older child in the house, they can keep you on track with your weight loss goals.

Do you read me, baby?

Is it too soon to be reading to my two-month-old son? If not, what should I read?

Minimising sibling rivalry when you've got a baby

Sibling rivalry is an act of competition, but if your children feel involved and special, this type of jealousy will be minimised.

Will studying on maternity leave take you away from your most important job?

I remember when I was trying to decide if I could combine motherhood and furthering my university education.

Win a Pacapod this Father's Day

To celebrate dads and families, we are giving away a Picos Pack from Pacapod Australia filled with a few extra goodies ENTER NOW

Preschooler hit by car shortly after baby brother's death

A mother has had a frantic race to the hospital after her daughter was hit by a car, just four weeks after her infant son died.

Gay couple and Thai surrogate in custody tug-of-war

A six-month-old baby girl is trapped in the Thai capital in a bitter custody wrangle between her Thai surrogate mother and her biological father.

Couple denied IVF over parenting concerns

A mother of six has been denied access to IVF treatment in order to have another child over concerns about her parenting skills.

The book that promises to put your children to sleep

Exhausted parents from around the world are singing the praises of a "miracle" book which promises to put even the most restless child to sleep in just minutes.

5 things every parent who feels guilty needs to know

Parenthood can make you feel bad, but you're not alone.

Royals criticise 'dangerous' attempts to photograph Prince George

The British royal family criticized paparazzi on Friday for what it called their increasingly dangerous attempts to photograph young Prince George.

'No jab, no play' rule to cover Victorian kindergartens and childcare centres

"Anti-vaxxers" face not being able to send their children to childcare centres or kindergarten if they refuse to have them immunised.

15,000 birthing kits on their way to developing countries

Giving birth in a hospital surrounded by medical experts is tough enough, but some women deliver babies without a clean sheet to lie on.

Photo of premmie 'too graphic', fundraising site says

When their son Jacob was born at just 27 weeks, Christina and Jeff Hinks were thrown into an uncertain world.

The latest Bugaboo collections: cool chevron and runner prams

Bugaboo sure likes to keep things fresh, and with the Australian spring/summer season coming up, there are two new Bugaboo pram releases.

Making room for two in the bed

Mum's room or their own room? Cot or bassinets? Deciding where twins will sleep can be tricky.

FREE TICKET

See Hi-5 LIVE in Sydney!

Get your free ticket to The Essential Baby & Toddler Show and save $20 - register online now!

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.