The stamina for Christmas
No energy (or even interest) in the upcoming big event.

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 nik_klinger

Posted 14 December 2012 - 01:38 PM

Anyone have it?? I certainly don't. I just wrapped the sum total of 3 presents and that's it, I'm done.
I can't do anymore, I don't want to do anymore.
Where do people get their stamina/ interest from???

#2 Feral Madam Mim

Posted 14 December 2012 - 01:41 PM

I don't know where it's gone, I had it, I was super excited about Christmas, it is my fave time of year, but the past week or so I have just been so meh about it, I wanted to do something fun at home, but now I am feeling too lazy to organise it lol. I haven't even started wrapping though so OP you are ahead of me there lol.

#3 Angelot

Posted 14 December 2012 - 01:45 PM

Personally, I'm not such a huge fan of Christmas.  I think ten years in retail killed it for me.

I think sharing it helps.  Maybe we ought to have a thread - wrap as many things as you can in five minutes and report back - to motivate one another!

#4 nik_klinger

Posted 14 December 2012 - 01:49 PM

QUOTE (Ange Vert @ 14/12/2012, 02:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Personally, I'm not such a huge fan of Christmas.  I think ten years in retail killed it for me.

I think sharing it helps.  Maybe we ought to have a thread - wrap as many things as you can in five minutes and report back - to motivate one another!

I've already put everything away, so I'm out of the challenge at the moment!

#5 Cranky Old Woman

Posted 14 December 2012 - 01:56 PM

It's way too early to be wrapping presents - I like to leave mine until Christmas Eve around midnight.  You would think that after 50+ Christmases I would have learnt something.  Nope.

#6 71Cath

Posted 14 December 2012 - 02:00 PM

QUOTE (Ange Vert @ 14/12/2012, 02:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

12 years for me.  And 15 years of placating the (now ex) in-laws...

#7 Feral Becky

Posted 14 December 2012 - 02:07 PM

I am not wrapping mine. I am saying that I am saving the environment from excess wrapping paper.

Really, I am far too lazy for words.

#8 PigNewton

Posted 14 December 2012 - 02:15 PM

Personally, I'm not such a huge fan of Christmas. I think ten years in retail killed it for me.

This will be year 23 for me ohmy.gif Luckily it's just weekends now, but the next two days I'm working 9-6 then 8-5 in a service deli. Halp.
As for wrapping, I'm making DH do it. He's much better at doing neat packages than I am.
Meanwhile I'm meant to be springcleaning as MIL is coming to stay next Friday, but I can't be a*sed.
And I have no idea what food we'll be doing for Owen's 4th birthday next Saturday.

Falalalalaaaa lala la la.

#9 Paladin

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:48 PM

I really don't have the stamina for it this year. I'll be working afternoon shifts christmas eve and christmas day.  I've been putting off the shopping, I've just had a week off work and I've done nothing because I really really DON'T want to.  I haven't sent any cards.  I've bought the kids a joint present, but that' it so far.  I'm going to be doing a lot of running around next weekend lol.  My husbands feeling the same, we don't want to go anywhere or see anyone.  We just want to chill and not run around.  And I have a feeling Xmas day is going to be a big bacon and egg brekkie, no roast dinner (well I will at work, which I don't have to cook or clean up after lol).  

I'm over it.

#10 FeralLIfeHacker

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:52 PM

I'm done and I never even started.  At this point I have purchased nothing, wrapped nothing, cannot get into it at all.  It's a bit sad really.

#11 MintyBiscuit

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:59 PM

I'm struggling at the moment. Christmas cards were sent today, but nothing is wrapped yet and I still haven't finalised my menu for christmas lunch. My christmas tree isn't up either, mainly due to DS being a destructo bot.

I'm picking up a play pen tomorrow so I can hopefully protect the tree, and I'm hoping once I put it up I'll get my christmas cheer on. My plan is to do all my baking next weekend so I hope it arrives before then

#12 Riotproof

Posted 14 December 2012 - 04:03 PM

QUOTE (LindsayMK @ 14/12/2012, 03:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am not wrapping mine. I am saying that I am saving the environment from excess wrapping paper.

Really, I am far too lazy for words.

Mine are all wrapped.  original.gif But I quite like doing it.

You could use Christmas teatowels or napkins for wrapping to save the environmental slant.

#13 Leggy

Posted 14 December 2012 - 04:18 PM

Big hugs for all you ladies. Christmas is about the ONLY thing that is getting me through at the moment. I just keep telling myself, "get through Friday and then on the weekend you can make gingerbread and wrap stuff and put a carols CD on..."

#14 FeralRebelWClaws

Posted 14 December 2012 - 04:32 PM

I'm just feeling overwhelmed by a lack of time atm!

I have another week at work, so mentally I am putting it off until school finishes. However, we are having visitors on Saturday and then going to my sisters for Christmas celebrations on Sunday (600km round trip.)

Then there is Christmas Eve, so I'll run around and try and find some food for Christmas Day then.

I hate working until the 21st with a weekend before Christmas, I just don't have time to get stuff done and unwind. I'll probably just sleep through Christmas because I am so exhausted from the school year.

Plus I am back at work in Jan 21st... which requires me being away from DF and now it seems real and I'm questioning if I've done the right thing...

Edited by PussyDids, 14 December 2012 - 04:37 PM.

#15 katniss

Posted 14 December 2012 - 04:33 PM

Many shopping centres have gift wrapping services for a gold coin donation.

Christmas is the only thing that gets me through the last few weeks of the year. DH has 3 weeks off every year because his company shuts down. I actually like seeing my extended family at Christmas. Everyone brings a plate to share for lunch. You don't have to go if you can't or don't want to. And gift giving is optional. It's always really casual. A few drinks and yummy food. My boys are finally old enough to get into it more. They helped me put up the tree 2 weeks ago and it was so much fun seeing their happy faces. I love Christmas music.

I'm sending Christmas spirit to you OP and the other PPs. I have too much of my own!!

#16 mummy2amelia

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:41 PM

I dragged my butt (as well as 2 kids and DH) into town for Santa photo’s today.  That bit was OK.  I then suggested that we nip over to one shop to get one present, then to the shopping centre playground for a coffee (it is raining here) then home.  2 hours later we leave.  No present after going to 4 big shops, over all those people and noise.  DS was being naughty in the playground so got told off, then did it again so got a time out, then did it AGAIN so got taken out.  Then I had to listen to him scream and cry for the next 30 minutes (he is 2 so life is so very unfair).  Ahhh the nasty looks from the other shoppers as I took him back to the car (which of course was all the way at the other side of town) – wonderful.  

Needless to say my Christmas spirit has been fairly deflated today.

#17 bestnot

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:24 PM

Edited by zedgirl, 19 September 2013 - 10:21 AM.

#18 Anonemy

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:41 PM

It's hard to build momentum I find esp if you have a lot to do. I have been doing the baby step approach. I work and it's in the city so went out to shop at lunch time in last week or two, even if only one thing bought.  Maybe just focus on one thing - like one person's prez or wrapping paper etc. break down into small chunks of activity.

I find this time of year hard. I get a bit sad/ wistful - another year over, my dd is growing up. In fact I don't come good again until feb.

Hope you find ur kriz buzz....

#19 Feral Alpacas

Posted 15 December 2012 - 08:50 PM

I have been looking forward to doing Christmas stuff for ages, but I'm having a really bad arthritis flare up ATM and if it doesn't settle down soon I won't be able to write and send out my Christmas cards, for the first time in many many years. I'm not doing so well sad.gif

#20 Gudrun

Posted 15 December 2012 - 09:03 PM

HollyOlly, does the Xmas tree go in the play pen or the child?

#21 Spa Gonk

Posted 15 December 2012 - 09:46 PM

We just finished wrapping tonight.  I have a kid with a birthday five days before Christmas, so sort of had to so we could work out what presents to give for birthday and which ones for Xmas.  Thank goodness his party was today and now over.  I have enough to organise and cook for Christmas without adding a birthday party 10 days before it!

Hope you get motivated soon OP.  I am finding now most of my stressors are over I can start to enjoy the festive season.

#22 Lil Chickens

Posted 15 December 2012 - 10:20 PM

I love Christmas and can't wait.  All my presents are wrapped and under the tree (HollyOlly the playpen keeps DS - aka destructo) has mostly been kept away (he did climb the couch the other day but another leaf of the playpen is now blocking his access through there).

Of course I only work one day a wek and have two things that I must do in the rest of a week so I had enty of time!

Also, Christmas is almost never at our place so that's easier.  Although last year we have 24 people here and it wasn't too bad.

#23 iwanttosleepin

Posted 15 December 2012 - 11:18 PM

I'd love to get a bit more excited about christmas but it's all done now.
Tree up, presents bought (not yet wrapped), christmas buffet lunch booked and limousine ordered to take us all there!

It's not a public holiday where I live so it's a bit strangeTBH.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Special offer: The Baby & Toddler Show 2014

At The Baby & Toddler Show, you?ll find everything you need to get ready for your new arrival and guide you through the early weeks and years of parenting.

An open letter to Tony Abbott: please salvage our super

We face financial ruin, but most of us don?t realise it. If we don?t act together to salvage our superannuation, I have no doubt the new GFC will be the Girls? Financial Crisis.

'I'm happy to know I'm changing lives': surrogate mum of two

I know that once the baby is born, I will focus on the gift I have given, and watch the parents with their new child. I can't wait for that day.

Birth trauma and the issue of informed consent

There is a perception that women should just be happy they have a healthy baby in their arms. But for women who experienced birth trauma, there's a lot more to it.

Tips for managing pollen allergies and hayfever

They're simple tips, but they can have a big impact on those who suffer from hayfever and pollen allergies.

Ada Nicodemou shares tribute to her stillborn baby

Just over one month since Ada Nicodemou and her husband lost their second son, the Home and Away star has shared a touching poem for her baby.

Mum causes stir breastfeeding on train

?To the woman breastfeeding her kid on the train. Seriously! On the train?" began the letter of complaint.

10 things they don?t tell you about being pregnant

As I slowly waddle my ever-changing pregnant body towards the finishing line of my due date, it?s becoming increasingly clear there are a lot of things they just don?t tell you about pregnancy.

Overcoming a fear of the dark

A toddler's fear of the dark is very normal, but there are ways parents can help children through this stage in their development.

Kids, TV and movies: how young is too young?

It seems you don't have to throw the TV and iPad out the window - it all boils down to moderation, supervision and interaction.

Video: Baby's first birthday is a special day for mum, too

?A baby?s first birthday is also mum?s first birthday.?

The day Supernanny came to tea

Prince William's favourite celebrity child trainer Jo Frost puts Bryony Gordon and her toddler through their paces.

Tales from the homefront

When you're at work you sort of assume that your house is basically just sitting there quietly doing nothing until you return. However, since spending my days at home, I've learned this couldn't be further from the truth.

The words I hated hearing as new mum

It was less than a week after my son was born that I first heard it - from my mother.

To the pharmacist who sold me baby formula

On the rare occasion I catch sight of you at school, or around town, I think back to our earliest exchange. I?m sure you have no recollection of it at all.

Babies may benefit from autism therapy

Children showing signs of autism don't usually receive early intervention until well into toddlerhood or later, but a new study suggests infants with symptoms of the developmental disorder might benefit from therapy from as early as six months.

Knatalye and Adeline born with an everlasting bond

Knatalye Hope and Adeline Faith are a lot like any other identical twin girls, but there is one dramatic difference: they're joined at the chest and shares several internal organs.

The question this dad wishes he'd asked his wife

I should have seen that my wife wasn't the same person I'd fallen in love with, but we were both too focused on simply trying to get by.

Why we should talk about the deaths of the Hunt children

The deaths are too horrible even to think about. Yet we owe it to the children - Fletcher, Mia and Phoebe Hunt - to think long and hard about it all.

Baby dies of meningococcal weeks after vaccine application denied

A six-month-old girl has died from meningococcal disease just weeks after an application for government funding of a vaccine for the most deadly strain of the virus was rejected.

Finding the right balance when playing with your kids

Being too involved in our children?s play and not allowing our kids enough free time for unstructured activities can mean our kids miss out on the value that play offers.

Creative DIY light shades

The Pop Light light shade comes in a flat pack already made - it's up to you to design it as you'd like.

The battle of iParenting versus imagination

Have we forgotten how to be imaginative, resourceful parents?

Why movement is so important for your baby's growth

Letting your child move as much as possible in the early years ? using all senses, engaging in the real world, preferably outside ? will help them grow up healthier, smarter, calmer and stronger.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Special offer: The Baby & Toddler Show 2014

At The Baby & Toddler Show, you?ll find everything you need to get ready for your new arrival and guide you through the early weeks and years of parenting.

Losing yourself to motherhood

While watching your baby grow into a unique little person is exciting and wondrous, the intensity of meeting everyone else?s needs can ever so sneakily overtake your own needs for self-care.

Tearing during delivery: the facts

Almost all women will experience bruising, grazing or tearing after a vaginal birth. Depending on the degree of tearing, there are various treatments available.

6 tips for a day out with a baby and toddler

Outings can be lots of fun with the kids, but there are inevitable challenges. Here's some information about days out to help you be a little more prepared.

Why I invited a dozen people to watch my son's birth

I sent invitations on burgundy scrapbooking paper stamped with a field of poppies, and told each person why I wanted him or her there. I warned that there would be nudity.

Getting labour started: tips for a natural induction

When your baby?s due date comes and goes without so much as a pop - let alone a bang - it can be disheartening. Mums and a doula share their stories of natural inductions.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

That's my boy: a dad's diary of the first 4 months

Unbearable anxiety, unspeakable joy, constant exhaustion and bouts of frustration ... The many shocks of first-time fatherhood resound in a dad's diary of his son's early months.

One of the most important things a new mum can do

Finances may not be as cute as a newborn, but with many women?s working arrangements changing post-baby, monetary matters need attention too.

6 things I didn't expect as a parent

From weird smells to dangerous opinions, painful body parts to numbness, here are a few things new mums and dads can expect.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Reader offer

2 FOR 1 TICKET OFFER

For Shopping, For Advice, For Baby & You. Enjoy a special day out with fabulous shopping from over 200 brands, leading parenting experts offering advice on a range of topics, and amazing children?s entertainment

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.