Damn you EB!

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 CallMeFeral

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:04 AM

I've just sent my son to daycare in a pettiskirt. If he's scarred for life I'm blaming youse all.
Now a day of anxiety wondering if he'll be teased sad.gif

I wish I'd never read that damned thread! laughing2.gif

#2 CountryFeral

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:19 AM

He'll be fine!

I however still bear a few scars from when dad entered me (unbeknownst to my sensible feminist Mum) in the "Little Miss Regatta Girl" pageant when I was about 3!

Plonked on stage with an array of tiny beauty queens in petticoats, ringlets and puffy sleeves Dad was shocked and appalled when I didn't win.

"It was a bloody farce *Countrymel's Mum*!" he spluttered afterwards.. "She was the only girl there who was dressed to go on a boat, I just don't get it?"

Dad didn't understand that my natty outfit of blue shorts, blue sneakers, a t shirt with nautical symbols and my little captains hat perched on my short hair was NOT what the judges were looking for!

#3 crayons

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:39 AM

All of the photos around daycare of my son are of him dressed up in "girls" clothes. The photo on the front of his communication book is of him in a beautiful pink boa. I am very confident he has never been teased original.gif

#4 *Finn*

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:46 AM

lol country mel  happy.gif

I too thought of the same thread last night OP when I was painting toe nails with my son. Sad isnt it.

#5 mivimummy

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:49 AM

He'll be fine I'm sure

My very alpha male younger brother went through a phase of wanting to copy everything I did, including what i wore, for quite some time as a preschooler. There are some lovely pics lurking around at Mum's with us both in matching frilly nighties!

Good on him and you!

#6 3inthebed

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:56 AM

What is a pettiskirt exactly? Is it another name for pettycoat?

#7 CallMeFeral

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:24 AM

QUOTE (Poet in New York @ 14/12/2012, 10:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If it's one of the gorgeous pettiskirts you make I'm sure you'll get plenty of orders!

eta; scratch that if you don't make pettiskirts... I could be thinking of the wrong EBer!  original.gif

Tounge1.gif Thanks! I do sell them so it's probably me, I don't make them though original.gif

CountryMel - love it! Very Little Miss Sunshine.

Mivimummy - I have a photo like that of my brother in one of my dresses. Unfortunately he was coerced into it and has never quite forgiven me...  ph34r.gif

Silvek it's like a petticoat except can be used as an outer skirt.

The main reason I feel guilty is that it's all my fault sad.gif And that stupid EB thread!
I started feeling bad about the times he's wanted to go to a party in a pettiskirt, or wanted girls shoes, and I sort of steered him away. Now he's used to it and doesn't ask for them anymore... and that thread made me feel like I'd stifled his creativity... So he was watching me put his sister's one on, and I thought of this thread, so I sort of asked quietly "Do you want one too, DS?" And he said yes. So I got him one of DD's old ones and he started swishing about. Then I felt like crap because if he got teased it was my fault for bringing it up when he hadn't even asked.
THEN he took it off and his shoes, I forget why. I think he was being a horse. And then when he got dressed again he forgot the skirt. And I thought "ok, good". And then I thought "oh crap - he's going to remember at some stage and then be upset". So I said "do you want the skirt or leave it off?" And he wanted it and put it back on.

So, TWO opportunities for him to leave the house in perfectly normal boy clothes, and TWICE I offer him a skirt.
That's why I'm feeling guilty. sad.gif
We go to the post office, and the lady sees him and says "What are you wearing? Are you a boy or a girl?" and then sees DD in her pettiskirt and goes "Oh don't you look beautiful!"  wacko.gif
Cue me feeling like a complete idiot for thinking that people would let a 2yo wear whatever the hell they wanted to. Then we show up at daycare, and his favourite carer is thrilled and thinks he's a legend  wub.gif  And then we go out and a few of the 4-5yo boys are staring at him from behind a pole going "there's a boy in a skirt!"  nno.gif

So I think I maybe majorly stuffed up sad.gif  

After the post office incident I did try to tell him "if anyone says anything about your skirt, tell them "I can wear whatever I want" "  But I don't think he really got it. Or could think why anyone would say anything about his skirt.

Have I just been a complete tool???

#8 BadCat

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:32 AM

Hopefully your boy will not care that people are being rude about his skirt.  I truly hope this is the case and I'm glad he is happy with his flouncy skirt.  original.gif

It's unfair that people will judge him for it but judge they will.  Every time.

#9 CallMeFeral

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:38 AM

And for today only, here are my two angels in their pettiskirts for their daycare Christmas party  hheart.gif

Badcat, I hope you're right. I'll have to chat to his carers next week and see how he went in it (DH picks him up tonight so I won't see them). On the plus side, his best friend and his favourite carer were unfazed, so hopefully he won't give a stuff about anyone else!

#10 BadCat

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:40 AM

Very cute.  original.gif

#11 Chaos in stereo

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:46 AM

Edited by Chaos in stereo, 26 August 2013 - 05:18 PM.

#12 CallMeFeral

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:50 AM

Thanks! wub.gif

QUOTE (Chaos in stereo @ 14/12/2012, 12:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My son still wore a fairy dress when he was 3, until he overheard an older girl asking her parents "Why is that boy wearing a dress?".... and that was the last time he wore a dress sad.gif  I'm sure your son will work out if/when he doesn't want to wear a skirt.

Yes, I'm wondering if that will be the outcome tonight. I guess I'll know how it went by whether he ever wants to wear one again!

#13 Monkey_Mind

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:53 AM

He might start a trend! All the boys may be wearing one next time you drop him off original.gif

#14 kpingitquiet

Posted 14 December 2012 - 12:38 PM

All you've done is helped teach him the valuable lesson that it is always a good time for fun clothes He looks faboo in his skirt. Half of my manliest friends quite enjoy a Utilikilt as everyday-wear, so phhbbbttthbbt! on anyone who comments on a cute 2yo's outfit.

#15 Lil Chickens

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:01 PM

They both look gorgeous.

#16 HerringToMarmalade

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:15 PM

QUOTE (kpingitquiet @ 14/12/2012, 01:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
All you've done is helped teach him the valuable lesson that it is always a good time for fun clothes He looks faboo in his skirt. Half of my manliest friends quite enjoy a Utilikilt as everyday-wear, so phhbbbttthbbt! on anyone who comments on a cute 2yo's outfit.

Yep, we love a Utilikilt here! He looks awesome. When I worked at an afterschool care we had an older boy who would always dress up in a snow white dress and just wear it around, no one said anything negative to him, even when he loudly announced that he was a lady-boy  laughing2.gif

#17 noi'mnot

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:21 PM

Both of your kids look super cute in their pettiskirts. Hopefully it'll just be a non-event today! original.gif

#18 CountryFeral

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:29 PM

Is anyone else anxiously waiting for an update?

Is my level of care about this a bit stalker-y?

* oh and BTW OP your children are exquisite!  

(hmmmmmm.... didn't lower the stalk temperature with that comment did I?)

#19 Jekaho

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:33 PM

But he is so cute in them! Even rivals DD! (But you know I love them both equally original.gif)
And if he loves them, then why not!
Plus, with DD having been in the spiderman outfit yesterday you can't really deny him a pettiskirt! In the interests of fairness wink.gif

If he starts a trend like UpTheDuff78 suggests, you could be the official outfitter of their daycare!! Ha!

ETA: a few months ago, my son wore a skirt (well it was a veil from a wedding teddy bear) to the local park. Challenged my BIL's gender stereotypes as he was walking with him down the main street of a suburb nearby)

Edited by Jekaho, 14 December 2012 - 03:43 PM.

#20 Rumour has it..

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:46 PM

For the past 2 months I have picked DS up from daycare and he has been in a dress. DP thought it was cute so got him one. then DS decided..."Skirts only for school daddy." Your little boy & girl and gorgeous original.gif

#21 Therese

Posted 14 December 2012 - 07:17 PM

They are both gorgeous  wub.gif

#22 CallMeFeral

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:34 PM

Thanks folks! Well I haven't spoken to the kids as I got home after they were in bed, but DH said that DS was still in the skirt at the end of the day, so it must have gone ok wub.gif
Apparently DH tried to get him to take it off  huh.gif  but he wouldn't - so he's either unscarred or stubborn! laughing2.gif

#23 Jekaho

Posted 15 December 2012 - 01:59 PM

QUOTE (CallMeAliG @ 15/12/2012, 12:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Apparently DH tried to get him to take it off  huh.gif  but he wouldn't - so he's either unscarred or stubborn! laughing2.gif

Or both!

#24 CallMeFeral

Posted 16 December 2012 - 09:24 AM

QUOTE (Jekaho @ 15/12/2012, 02:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Or both!

laughing2.gif Good point!

Today he wants to go to church in one huh.gif ... I've created a monster!  ohmy.gif
Wish bloomin' DD would show that much interest in them!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Share the little things that make you smile

We're giving away a Mountain Buggy nano, the ultimate travel stroller - and here are some of the great entries so far.

Toddler pleads for return of "stolen" nose

A two-year-old's reaction to a game of "got your nose" shows it doesn't take much to make a toddler cry.

The 15 photos new parents share (and five they don't)

From the first scan photo to the baby covered in cake at their first birthday party, there are 15 photos most parents seem to share - and some they don't.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

Breastfeeding friendly café goes viral

A photo of a breastfeeding-friendly sign in a cafe has been posted to Facebook and shared by hundreds of mums around the world.

First look at the Bugaboo Bee3

The newest Bugaboo Bee ? the Bee3 ? offers a variety of improved features, including a much asked-for bassinet and a rainbow of colour combinations.

Childcare costs, not paid leave, the real issue for parents

Given the choice between maintaining their wage for six months to have a child, or having a reduced rate of pay for a time but a better deal on childcare when returning to work, there are no odds on what most working parents would choose.

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

We lost three babies in two years

Our first pregnancy ended the way we all expected it to - with a healthy, happy baby in our arms. What a true blessing he was, for we were not to know the heartache we were about endure.

Family turned back from doomed flight MH17

'There must have been someone watching over us and saying, 'You must not get on that flight,' says mother who narrowly avoided boarding the Malaysian Airlines flight which exploded in mid-air over the Ukraine last night.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Adorable Skeanie loafers for kids

Your little toddler or preschooler can now get their nautical on with a new range of classic loafers by Australian show brand Skeanie.

My baby is hypermobile

For months, I have been telling myself not to worry that Jasmin isn't crawling or walking. This week I heard the term hypermobile for the first time.

When you don?t bond with your baby

They say that there is no bond greater than the bond between a mother and her child. But for some women, the mother-baby bond takes more time and effort to develop.

Yumi Stynes: Having a baby after a 10-year break

After a long break, Yumi Stynes gets a reminder of the pain - and the pleasure - of giving birth.

Grieving father asks for help to Photoshop his daughter's image

When Nathan Steffel's daughter Sophia died from a liver condition at just 6 weeks old, he reached out for someone to create a beautiful image of his little girl.

Raising kids in a 'low media' home

Can you imagine a life without TV or computers? Some parents are opting for a low-tech, screen-free life for their kids.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

The beautiful moment a baby was born at the side of a road

It's not where she expected to give birth, but mum Corrine Cinatl is delighted that her daughter's roadside arrival was captured in a series of beautiful photos.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

The Nappy Collective starts new drive

It's that time of year when the dedicated volunteers at The Nappy Collective do their bit to help out mums and children in need - and they need your help.

Baby shower cake wrecks

From misshapen cake babies to questionable text, from odd colour choices to internal organ recreation, these are the baby shower cakes that taste forgot.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

Pregnancy progression photo ideas

Want to record your pregnancy as your belly grows? Here are some creative, fun ideas for photo shoots along the way.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Tin can craft and DIY ideas

Got a few old formula, Milo or coffee cans around the house? Use these fantastic upcycling ideas to create items for around the house and yard.

Dads meet their newborn for the first time

Emotional photos of two fathers meeting their newborn son have resonated with viewers worldwide, attracting thousands of Facebook likes and shares.

Skin safety isn't just a summer worry

Lax about the slip slop slap with your kids as weather turns cooler? Here's a reminder as to why we have to remain vigilant for our children?s future health.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Creative sleeping baby photoshoots

See how some parents and photographers have captured sleeping babies in unusual positions and using different props.

DIY kitchen and food hacks

DIY your way to a better kitchen and make cooking easier with our clever hacks. (Some content reproduced with permission from mashable.com.)

Winter warmers for babies and toddlers

Your baby or toddler will be nice and snug in these beautiful and fun winter pieces. Most are hand-made or knitted, and they're all designed to keep your little one toastie - and adorable!

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.