Play pen
worth buying?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Felix101

Posted 13 December 2012 - 10:12 PM

Just interested in other's experiences with play pens. I'm trying to decide if we need one, but as with all things baby, i just can't comprehend what he'll be needing in a week, let alone a few months! haha

DS is currently seven months, is sitting, and sort of scooting around on the ground, but not yet crawling. But i know it's not far away and i just keep seeing how not baby-proof our house is (and isn't easily going to be ever - plus we're moving in the next 6 months).

Anyway... I'm interested to hear experiences - did you find your play pen useful? what age did you use it until?

Thanks!! original.gif

#2 tibs

Posted 13 December 2012 - 10:14 PM

Bought one.  Used it one year around the christmas tree.  Put it out on the kerb sometime after #2 was born.

#3 bakesgirls

Posted 13 December 2012 - 10:23 PM

I have one. It worked well for DD1 and DD3, but DD2 figured out pretty quickly how to pick it up and/or push it to where ever she wanted to go.

It's protecting our Xmas tree from DD3 at the moment.

#4 ~ppp~

Posted 13 December 2012 - 10:38 PM

We got a massive one and used it heaps from crawling to approx 21 months. We had an early riser and I had a horrid second pregnancy so I would actually go in there with him and "sleep" whilst he played happily. We kept some of the best toys in there & they therefore had novelty factor so he liked being in there

However if you had a spare room you could completely baby proof and put a baby gate on it I reckon that would be a far better solution for you

I now have it reduced in size (it is the valco 6 sided one which can go to a smaller square) and my youngest goes in there under his activity gym, safe from the "loving" attentions of his older brother

A small playpen would never get used but a big playpen/play area can be invaluable IMO. There are also room dividers which can section off an area as a play area.

#5 Cranky Kitten

Posted 13 December 2012 - 10:45 PM

We have a fireguard/play pen that is currently around our TV cabinet. Keeps the little monkey away from all those tangly cords and being able to poke toast crusts into the PS3.

I've never actually used as a play pen in the sense of putting him inside it though.

#6 Bluenomi

Posted 14 December 2012 - 07:47 AM

We never bothered. DD wasn't the type to get into everything and I have happy for her to have space to wander around

#7 soontobegran

Posted 14 December 2012 - 07:56 AM

I had the average wooden playpen and it was invaluable to put my toddlers into if I was feeding a newborn or I suddenly had to leave them unsupervised for a few minutes. When they started to move the playpen I tied it down to the nearest chair leg.
I didn't use it as an area of imprisonment for all their play. original.gif

#8 sarkazm76

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:52 AM

We have one from Nannie Annie - it makes a large rectangle or hexagon or a smaller square.  When DS was little I had it in a square with one piece open on an angle - I could get in and out that bit and usually sat on my glider outside that open section... the main point being so that DS could have floor time/ tummy time without being bugged by our dog or ending up covered in her fur - this was his own little space that was dog hair free original.gif
When he got bigger we pulled it apart and used it more for fencing, lol.  We have 4 bits around the entertainment unit (cable tied to each leg) and 2 across the front of our house to keep him out of that space - so we can dump all our stuff there without worry!  A gate that wide - if we could get one - would cost a fortune.

#9 Therese

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:05 AM

Our playpen was great around the Christmas tree and heater in winter original.gif If you had a toddler that needed to be contained while you were feeding like STBG said, I think it would be really useful.

#10 kpingitquiet

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:23 AM

We have two and LOVE them. One is currently folded out across the TV/entertainment center and the Xmas tree. The other is split in two sections, one blocking off the kitchen and another serving as a gate to play half of the playroom/office. Best things ever. My grandma (80yo) has commented how much she'd have loved such things when she had four kids running around, but she was stuck with old school playpens that are more like our portacots, but bigger/more solid.

#11 AnnBB

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:32 AM

We had a small wooden one for DD from about 8 months to 14 months so we had somewhere to put her when we left her unsupervised when we had a shower, hung out the washing etc. it was great. We also tended to put a lot of her toys in there when not in use so our dog didn't decide they were his to play with.

Edited by AnnBB, 14 December 2012 - 12:35 PM.

#12 Dylan's Mummy

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:08 PM

My husband came home from the markets with a 2nd hand one a few months ago. I rolled my eyes and thought I would never use it. It is currently around the Christmas tree. I also know of someone who said that the play pen is good to do the ironing in. I suppose it would be good if you need to go outside to hang up/take in the washing.

My bub is pretty active right now and gets around a fair bit so I don't know yet if I will use it. I kind of don't want to stop him from practicing his crawling (commando style) but he has recently started standing up against furniture and I don't want him to hurt himself if I have to go outside for 5 min or so.

Edited by Dylan's Mummy, 14 December 2012 - 11:17 PM.

#13 Jillian_10

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:13 PM

We have one and it is helpful - the only places I feel I can leave him for a few minutes safely other than his cot!

He isn't terribly keen and will only last in there a few minutes usually, but that is enough for me to do various necessary tasks that can't be accomplished with one hand wink.gif

#14 Felix101

Posted 19 December 2012 - 08:12 PM

Thanks all - think we will give one a go.

We go camping a lot, so I'm thinking it will be valuable there, and whilst I don't thi it will be used a lot in the house as just a play pen, it will be used to create a baby inclusion/exclusion zone original.gif

Thank you all so much - how would I ever make such difficult decisions without you EB! Haha

#15 IsolaBella

Posted 19 December 2012 - 08:20 PM

Our wooden one has been used to corner off the TV and the Kitchen from kids. we use safety gates on doors to bedrooms and bathroom (actually used more as a noise monitoring device to know who was where).

Also got a port-a-cot square type one which DS 2 would have his mat time in (to keep him safe from DS1).

Otherwise it was only for the occasional moment kids had to be unattended.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Britain's youngest parents: mother 12, father 13

A 12-year-old schoolgirl and her 13-year-old boyfriend are believed to have become Britain?s youngest parents, after the birth of their baby girl earlier this week.

When Prince George met Bilby George

Prince George has met an Aussie marsupial named after him in his first official engagement in Australia.

Asphyxia link another piece of the SIDS puzzle

An Australian study has uncovered information which could lead to a better understanding of why babies die from Sudden Infant Death Syndrome.

Pregnant woman dies after doctor removes ovary instead of appendix

When a UK woman went to hospital suffering appendicitis, doctors mistakenly removed her healthy ovary - with tragic consequences.

The milestones I can't wait to celebrate

Nothing can beat the feeling of witnessing that first smile, first step and first word - but here's a list of 'firsts' I'm really looking forward to now.

How you develop in your baby's first year

Just as babies undergo rapid growth as they learn and change in their first year, we?re learning and changing quickly as parents, too. Don?t underestimate the developmental stages you go through when you have a baby.

Can you make your baby smarter even before birth?

A product new to Australia claims to help babies be born "as intelligent as possible", but not all experts agree on the benefits of educating babies while still in the womb.

How a mother's love helped unearth the skills of an autistic savant

Autistic savant Ping Lian Yeak, a prodigious artist who has had his work shown all over the world, couldn't have done it without the support and love of his proud mum.

Rescue dog Zoey and BFF Jasper star in adorable pics

Photographer, self-professed "crazy dog lady" and mum Grace Chon takes photos of rescue dog Zoey and her 10-month-old son Jasper together. The results are just too cute. See more on Instagram @thegracechon.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

A tiny heart: a baby?s death gives life to another

Simon Alexander Garcia lived only one brief hour. But somewhere, a little girl?s heart is beating today because of him.

Ear piercing: what age is best?

What is it that shapes our opinions on what?s an 'appropriate' age for our children to get their ears pierced? Parents share their views on how young is too young when it comes to piercing.

Why is childbirth still such a pain?

The options given to women to help them cope in labour have barely changed in years.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win the brand new phil&teds vibe

Check out the good looking new release of the Vibe 3 and the Verve 4-wheeler inline strollers. To celebrate their release, we have a Vibe with double kit to give away.

Baby sleep

From birth to one year and beyond, read about baby sleep, soothing techniques, routines, and sleep school experiences.

Easter gifts for babies, no chocolate in sight!

If this is your little one?s first Easter you might want to mark the occasion with something a little extra special. Here are 10 Easter gift ideas, which won't harm little teeth.

7 tips for a kid-free trip, not a guilt trip

Although I?m jumping out of my skin to take my child-free holiday, I?m dreading the goodbye. But I?m determined to make the most of it without tarnishing it with guilt or sadness about leaving the kids.

Itchibubs: clothes for babies and toddlers with eczema

Parents of children who suffer from eczema will know only too well the scratching that occurs around the clock. A new clothing range aims to help make everyone more comfortable.

Ear piercing: what age is best?

What is it that shapes our opinions on what?s an 'appropriate' age for our children to get their ears pierced? Parents share their views on how young is too young when it comes to piercing.

Caring for kids helps grandmothers stay mentally alert

Looking after grandchildren can help grandmothers ward off brain disease - but it's also possible to get too much of a good thing, researchers say.

Why I loved my third home water birth

After two water births at home, I was determined to give birth to my son the same way. I just hoped this birth would be quicker than my last two.

Revealed: 7 ways food marketers try to trick consumers

If you?re confused by food labels, you?re not alone. Next time you?re shopping for food, look out for these seven common labelling tricks.

'My mother-in-law found out our baby's gender behind our backs'

My husband and I mutually decided that we didn?t want to know our baby's sex before the birth, but his mother couldn't handle that.

Free Printable Activities

Keeping little hands busy

Free printable acitivity pages like colouring in, cutting, word finders, mazes, maths activities and puzzles.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.