The saga of the giant dog beds.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 FiveAus

Posted 13 December 2012 - 02:15 PM

We are renovating our house, and due to various events (husband steam cleaning the carpet then deciding to throw it out because he couldn't get it properly clean), the master bedroom got bumped up the renovation list recently. A new bedroom suite, new paint job and new hard flooring. Our dogs, spoilt devils, sleep in our room.

In honour of the new decor in our bedroom, I decided to buy the dogs some new beds to replace the cheap, soft cushion plus rug combo they all use at the moment.

Because we have hard flooring now, I decided on trampoline style beds and envisioned 5 of them, topped with some pretty vet bed for warmth and comfort.

I checked Petstock but 5 of their beds would be about equivelant to my annual salary so I turned to eBay. Now eBay is great for prices but has the small drawback of not being able to see the actual size of the product, so one must use ones imagination. I was doing well in that department so far because I had the vision of five trampoline beds firmly planted in mine.

But something I've struggled with most of my life is the ability to envision sizes, so measurements like 130cms x 110cms mean nothing to me. But husband is good at that stuff so I asked him how big that was. He looked at our floor tiles and said it was about 4 of them.

I looked at the floor tiles and looked at the dogs and figured one dog could very comfortably fit on four floor tiles so a trampoline bed measuring 130cms x 110cms would be about right.

Husband suggested I maybe order just one or two rather than five. I ordered two. And they arrived yesterday.

We unpacked them and proceeded to assemble the first one. It looked lovely and spacious....very spacious actually. Husband queried what size I'd ordered and I told him the ones equivalent of four floor tiles.

Two beds were finally assembled and placed in the lounge room, where they took up most of the available floor space. Actually they took up all of it and getting from the dining room to the couch was pretty much impossible.

We encouraged Ripley to test it out and he tentatively stepped on one looking like he was being asked to tiptoe through a minefield. And he promptly got off. Looking very relieved that he'd survived the ordeal of the giant bed.

The rest of the dogs made a game of getting on, getting off, rolling around playing on the beds, and I was satisfied that at least two, if not three could sleep per bed.

At bedtime, I carried one bed down to the bedroom and placed it on the floor. Then returned for the second one and realised that if I put it next to the first one, I couldn't get into the ensuite. If I put it on the other side of the room, we couldn't get in or out of the room nor could we use the wardrobe. So I decided the second one could go back to the lounge room and some of the old bedding reused while I solved the dilemma of the giant beds.

I called the dogs into bed and encouraged three of them to share the new bed, then headed into the shower. When I came out, two dogs were on MY bed, one was nowhere to be seen, one was under the bed and there was Shae, the tiniest of all Aussies, lying in solitary splendour on a brand new trampoline bed big enough to hold two Great Danes.

I think our pergola might be getting a new addition of two jumbo sized trampoline beds and FiveAus will be going back to the drawing board to solve the dogs bedding dilemma.

The newly renovated bedroom with pet friendly flooring......but no dog bedding yet (and no window coverings, and no pics on walls):

Edited by FiveAus, 13 December 2012 - 02:27 PM.

#2 Feral*Spikey*

Posted 13 December 2012 - 07:37 PM

OOOOH Renos!

I love your floors BTW - that's next on our list, after the patio (which is in the process of well, being constructed eventually). What's it made of? Details!!!!!

And the bed story is a hoot. We have these cute cheap round things that the dogs like to curl up in - but ours sleep in their crates in the rumpus room as they snore. Lots. rolleyes.gif

#3 FiveAus

Posted 13 December 2012 - 08:23 PM

The floor is vinyl planks. We were kind of desperate as the bare concrete under the carpet was NOT attractive. I'd seen the vinyl planks elsewhere and liked them, they look very much like wood and are very comfortable underfoot.
We went to one floor place, and they showed us their range but there was a 3 week wait on stock, so that just wouldn't do. We went to the next place and looked at theirs, and got a quote (around $35-45 per sq metre, not laid) which was reasonable, and we didn't need anyone to lay them as husband is very capable.

So we were deciding and the salesman asked how much we needed. 21 sq metres. He said he thought he had the end of a job lot out the back that might do, so he sold us those ones for $20 per sq metre, and we got all of them (26 metres) for the cost of 20 sq metres. They weren't my first choice in colour but for that price, I was prepared to like anything! Now they are down, I really like the colour.

In our previous house, we had replaced all the carpet with a floating floor, and after about a year, I hated it. Noisy, easily marked, couldn't let it get too wet, traffic patterns wore really quickly.....so that was out. The rest of the house has big shiny tiles but they are very labour intensive to lay and we wanted this done in a weekend.

We are now going to do the two spare bedrooms and the rumpus room in these vinyl planks. For a main traffic area I would probably go with a higher grade (commercial quality) but bedrooms aren't high traffic, nor is the rumpus room and this stuff will be fine there.

The dogs still don't have new bedding. The next time I go to a dog show I'll just buy some vet bed and they can sleep on that, then I can slide it under the bed during the day so it's out of sight. I use vet bed in the living area so they don't have to lie on bare tiles, and in their crates at dog shows, and it's lovely and cosy for them, and nice and soft. Plus easy to wash and dry. And it comes in pretty colours.

#4 claptrap

Posted 14 December 2012 - 05:18 PM

Have you seen these, FiveAus?

They come highly recommended by my four legged family member.

And I love your reno!!

#5 FeralRebelWClaws

Posted 14 December 2012 - 06:15 PM

Lovely room!!

We are in the process of deciding what to use to cheaply cover the hideous and broken tiles we have in the kitchen. We were thinking floating floorboards.

We bought trampoline dog beds from Aldi for $20 and they are pretty damn good actually! Depending on how squished up your puppies are happy to be, our 2 rottis can fit on 1 large, but only curled up, not sprawled out.

We now have 3 of them because we bought 2 for the dogs and then the cats stole one LOL

Edited by PussyDids, 14 December 2012 - 06:16 PM.

#6 FiveAus

Posted 14 December 2012 - 07:27 PM

Dogged, is there meant to be a pic there, I can't see anything?

Thanks for the comments on the room, we bought this house 2 1/2 years ago and we're gradually renovating it. It's been extended at some stage, we've come to realise that room used to be the third bedroom and it was extended to about double the length and an ensuite added on (the door to the ensuite is on the wall facing the bed. So the room ended up being 10 ft wide and 22 ft long. it's got loads of room for all of us! LOL!
It used to be sickly pink on the lower half, dirty white on the upper half with a revolting pink floral frieze around the middle. The carpet was pale shell pink plush, such a dog friendly colour, I might add.....showed every hair, every paw print and needed steam cleaning every month. I'm really, really pleased with the new makeover, I feel like royalty when I go to bed now.

I think I've ditched the idea of trampoline beds, the dogs won't double up.....little Shae insists that the giant one in the bedroom is hers, all hers, and three of them could fit on there.

#7 claptrap

Posted 14 December 2012 - 07:30 PM

http://www.barkaparka.com.au/

Oops, sorry.  That's the EB equivalent of sending an email and forgetting the attachment!

It's been a long week.

Even if you don't want to buy a barka parka, all the pet photos are so cute.

#8 FiveAus

Posted 14 December 2012 - 07:54 PM

Ooooh.....they are lovely! Don't tempt me, did you look at the prices? Five of them would be gorgeous.....and cost a small fortune.

#9 claptrap

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:05 PM

You could always attempt to negotiate a bulk discount lol.

Yeah they are a bit pricey.  Really well made though.  I justified the cost by thinking of all the money I'm saving protecting her joints and preventing arthritis in later years  ph34r.gif

#10 FiveAus

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:13 PM

QUOTE (dogged @ 14/12/2012, 09:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You could always attempt to negotiate a bulk discount lol.

Yeah they are a bit pricey.  Really well made though.  I justified the cost by thinking of all the money I'm saving protecting her joints and preventing arthritis in later years  ph34r.gif

I could easily justify the cost for one dog.....I'd have a very hard time for five though.

Plus I'm bleeding profusely from having three of them vaccinated yesterday, the other two get done on Monday so the money haemorrhage will continue.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

A mum's tragic battle against inflammatory breast cancer

At just 37 years of age, with two young sons, Vicki was diagnosed with inflammatory breast cancer. Now her family wants all women to know the symptoms.

The business of babies around the world

Pregnancy and birth is an intriguing process no matter where you are in the world. One soon-to-be father gleans wisdom from a new guide.

Finding a positive path through IVF

It’s not surprising that IVF is often seen as a negative journey towards the ultimate positive, but having a glass-half-full approach can make a big difference to the experience.

Giving strangers the gift of parenthood

A mum explains why she and her husband are choosing to gift their leftover embryos to help strangers achieve their dream of parenthood.

Does morning sickness get better or worse with each child?

Just as every baby is unique, so is every pregnancy. And that means morning sickness can vary a lot, too.

What's so wrong with looking 'mumsy', anyway?

Why is it that the word ‘mumsy’ has connotations of such a negative nature – but seems to be the only other option apart from ‘yummy’?

Trying to speed up the inevitable

As the waiting game of late pregnancy continues, this mum considers a few things that might hurry things up a little.

One month later: where is William Tyrell?

It has been a little over a month since William Tyrell disappeared from his grandmother's home, 33 long sleepless nights for his family as they mourn the absence of their cheeky young boy.

Winter's child less likely to be moody: study

Babies born in the summer are much more likely to suffer from mood swings when they grow up, while those born in the winter are less likely to become irritable adults, scientists claim.

Single mum of two creates award-winning baby app

Suddenly single with a baby and an 11-year-old son, Tara O?Connell developed an app to improve the lives of mothers who were similarly overwhelmed.

Food for thought: looking after yourself as a new mum

As soon as your baby enters the world, everything else takes a back seat - even the necessities of daily life such as eating are severely compromised, right when you need energy the most.

'Grabbable guts' campaign aims to cut toxic fat

The Live Lighter campaign will take people inside the human body to show the internal dangers of being overweight.

The best and worst month of my life

A new mum's first month of motherhood didn't pan out as expected when she lost a family member weeks after her baby's birth.

Facebook and Apple offer to pay female staff to freeze their eggs

Facebook and Apple are hoping to provide women with the freedom to build their careers without the added pressure of having children at or by a certain age.

How a pregnancy contract could work for you and your partner

The idea of making a 'pregnancy contract' with your partner may sound a bit silly at first, but it can help make the transition to parenthood a lot smoother.

Finding a mum-friendly personal trainer

Burping babies vs burpees – yes, new mums and personal trainers live in different worlds. But they can work together - once you find the right match for you and your lifestyle.

Alleged baby snatch incident a ?misunderstanding?, say police

Police say that an incident in which a man pulled on a woman?s pram while walking a popular Sydney route late last month was a misunderstanding.

Ebola killed my aunt and is shutting down my country

Three weeks ago, my auntie, a midwife, developed a fever. Sitting here in Sydney basked in Australian sunshine, that shouldn't be big news.

The night my ovary burst

One mum shares her frightening experience and vows to never take her health for granted again.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

The 'yucky' illness that took over my life

I have a chronic illness nobody likes to discuss, as it involves toilet talk. But it needs to be talked about.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.