Above Ground Pool Fencing
Please help.

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 *focus*

Posted 13 December 2012 - 02:11 PM

I am going anon as I know I am going to get slammed for this.

We decided to get an above ground pool for Christmas mostly to get our children off computers.

We thought we had all the info on pool fences etc.

Bought the pool.

It is now 2 weeks from Christmas. Just realised that (I think) our fencing is not compliant for NSW but would be for some other states. We are in NSW.
DH has arranged to install a gate for $600 which makes it better but still not compliant. They have probably started making it so we probably have to pay regardless now.
To make it compliant we would have to fence the whole pool and spend around $5,000.
We can't afford that.
Relatives have bought pool toys for Christmas.
We have gone over this 1000 times DH is getting very crankythinks I am overreacting and no kid could get into the pool anyway.
I am really uncomfortable with the whole thing. I can't talk to anyone about it.
I don't know what to do.
We had planned to put the pool up this weekend.
Please help and please don't abuse me for not caring about kids drowning because I really do care otherwise I wouldn't worry about it.

#2 SeaPrincess

Posted 13 December 2012 - 02:15 PM

Your local council will be able to tell you the specific requirements.  Speak to them or have a look on their website.

#3 PrincessPeach

Posted 13 December 2012 - 02:19 PM

I was just going through the pool fencing laws yesterday with my BIL (he's just bought a new house!) - however I am in Qld, so I don't know if the rules are the same.

In Qld you can apply to have an authorised temporary fence put up for 3 months. Now not sure if that is the same case in NSW, but it might give you the financial breathing space.

Is there also an option for you to buy & erect your own pool fence & then have it inspected?

#4 *focus*

Posted 13 December 2012 - 02:22 PM

It does not and will not comply.

It will cost around $5000 to comply. We looked inot putting the fence in ourselves. It is not at all easy and you don't save that much. Plus not knowing what you are doing can mean that the fence is not safe.

#5 *focus*

Posted 13 December 2012 - 02:32 PM

The thing is, we bought a pool with 1.2m high walls and no toe holes as we thought this was compliant (if we take out the steps). It woudn't be compliant in Queensland but not in NSW. DH isn't concerned as he thinks if it is compliant in Queens;and we shouldn't worry about it.

#6 BetteBoop

Posted 13 December 2012 - 02:33 PM

OP, if the side walls are over 1.2 metres (?) it may not require a fence. That's worth looking in to as you may not need to be concerned with the non compliant fence.

How old are your kids?

#7 JRA

Posted 13 December 2012 - 02:35 PM

So it is compliant in the state you are in?

It woudn't be compliant in Queensland but not in NSW. DH isn't concerned as he thinks if it is compliant in Queens;and we shouldn't worry about it.

I am not sure what you are saying?

#8 *focus*

Posted 13 December 2012 - 02:39 PM

QUOTE (BetteBoop @ 13/12/2012, 03:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
OP, if the side walls are over 1.2 metres (?) it may not require a fence. That's worth looking in to as you may not need to be concerned with the non compliant fence.

How old are your kids?

Yes we would not require a fence if we were in Queensland but in NSW the pool is required to be fenced regardless.  My kids are old enough to stand in a pool that size. The youngest is 11 so I am not in the slightlest concerned about them. I am more concerned about the little kids next door. There is a fence next door which is over 1.2 meters but it is not compliant because it has toe holds which are 1.1m apart that is 10cm less than they should be and there is a tree next to the fence. The neighbours with the little kids have a non compliant spa, but somehow that doesn't make me feel any better about the whole thing.

#9 SeaPrincess

Posted 13 December 2012 - 02:41 PM

Call your local council.  They will know what applies.  
Our local council uses satellite imagery to check on pools - they do random checks on a certain number each year as well as identifying new pool installations.

#10 *focus*

QUOTE (JRA @ 13/12/2012, 03:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So it is compliant in the state you are in?

I am not sure what you are saying?

Sorry, it would be compliant in Queensland but we are in NSW. It is not compliant in the state we are in. I am not particualrly concerned about getting fined because I think we would get a warning first. My concern is about the safety of the kids around us.

#11 JRA

The pool is illegal from what you have said, so no I wouldn't. simple, for multiple reason:
- it is illegal
- I would not want to knowingly on purpose contribute to someones death. it isn't that you dont know, you do.
- see point 2
- see point 2

#12 baddmammajamma

Posted 13 December 2012 - 02:44 PM

Hi focus,

I can only imagine how frustrated your husband is & thinking that you are overreacting -- but please don't waver on this one. You have every reason to feel like it doesn't feel right to try to skirt safety standards.

Call your local counsel with your husband as he is the one who needs educating, and reach out to Safewaters or Hannah's Foundation.

OP, I think you appreciate that if you can't comply with safety standards, then you have no real choice other than not to erect the pool -- even if your husband is pressuring you to do so.

I'm sorry for you & your family that you guys don't have the money to fence it properly right now -- lots of disappointment all around, I'm sure (but you are doing the ONLY right thing by holding out).

Hannah Plint (hannabug's daughter) died in an above ground pool accident. sad.gif

#13 *focus*

Posted 13 December 2012 - 02:44 PM

Does anyone know of a way to make the pool compliant that is not going to cost that much?

#14 *focus*

Posted 13 December 2012 - 02:46 PM

QUOTE (baddmammajamma @ 13/12/2012, 03:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi focus,

I can only imagine how frustrated your husband is & thinking that you are overreacting -- but please don't waver on this one. You have every reason to feel like it doesn't feel right to try to skirt safety standards.

Call your local counsel with your husband as he is the one who needs educating, and reach out to Safewaters or Hannah's Foundation.

OP, I think you appreciate that if you can't comply with safety standards, then you have no real choice other than not to erect the pool -- even if your husband is pressuring you to do so.

I'm sorry for you & your family that you guys don't have the money to fence it properly right now -- lots of disappointment all around, I'm sure (but you are doing the ONLY right thing by holding out).

Hannah Plint (hannabug's daughter) died in an above ground pool accident. sad.gif

He knows what the standards are.

#15 JRA

Posted 13 December 2012 - 02:47 PM

the cost is hard to compare, it depends on the size etc.

are you needing to fence around the whole pool, or are some of your external fences compliant?

#16 JRA

Posted 13 December 2012 - 02:48 PM

sorry, we posted at the same time, he knows the standards and wants to go ahead with an illegal fence?

You say you are not worried about a fine as you would get a warning first. What happens when you get the warning? You would pull the pool down then?

#17 baddmammajamma

Posted 13 December 2012 - 02:57 PM

QUOTE (*focus* @ 13/12/2012, 03:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am going anon as I know I am going to get slammed for this.

We decided to get an above ground pool for Christmas mostly to get our children off computers.

We thought we had all the info on pool fences etc.

Bought the pool.

It is now 2 weeks from Christmas. Just realised that (I think) our fencing is not compliant for NSW but would be for some other states. We are in NSW.
DH has arranged to install a gate for $600 which makes it better but still not compliant. They have probably started making it so we probably have to pay regardless now.
To make it compliant we would have to fence the whole pool and spend around $5,000.
We can't afford that.
Relatives have bought pool toys for Christmas.
We have gone over this 1000 times DH is getting very crankythinks I am overreacting and no kid could get into the pool anyway.
I am really uncomfortable with the whole thing. I can't talk to anyone about it.
I don't know what to do.
We had planned to put the pool up this weekend.
Please help and please don't abuse me for not caring about kids drowning because I really do care otherwise I wouldn't worry about it.

QUOTE (*focus* @ 13/12/2012, 03:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The thing is, we bought a pool with 1.2m high walls and no toe holes as we thought this was compliant (if we take out the steps). It woudn't be compliant in Queensland but not in NSW. DH isn't concerned as he thinks if it is compliant in Queens;and we shouldn't worry about it.

Not directed at you, but your husband is being totally unreasonable.

You might be better off starting a thread called "Looking For Responsible But Reasonable Pool Fencer in ___, NSW Area" -- that way, you might actually get some recommendations of who to use (who will still be safe) -- because this thread, as currently positioned, is going to be a losing battle for you. sad.gif  

I'm sorry that your husband isn't on board, and I can totally understand why you are stressed.

Edited by baddmammajamma, 13 December 2012 - 02:59 PM.

#18 Screm

Posted 13 December 2012 - 03:03 PM

Could you not find a fencing company that does interest free? That way you won't need the money upfront but can have your pool this summer.

#19 fancie

Posted 13 December 2012 - 03:06 PM

I thought the required distance between footholds is no less than 900mm.  So boundary fence forming part of the pool isolation may comply.

I would draw a rough map of where you want the pool to go in your yard (including boundary fences, other structures, trees etc) and take it to your local council for advice re placement of the new pool fencing.

#20 JRA

Posted 13 December 2012 - 03:08 PM

The problem the op has is that she cant go to the council for advice as her husband wont follow it anyway.

#21 *focus*

Posted 13 December 2012 - 03:45 PM

Ok now i need emotional support as I will have to say to my DH that I no longer want the $600 gate we just bought, no longer want the pool, and have to call relatives and tell them pool toys are not appropriate.

Edited by *focus*, 13 December 2012 - 03:47 PM.

#22 JRA

Posted 13 December 2012 - 03:52 PM

focus: i do feel for you, you are in a very difficult situation.

as has been said, are you sure your outer fence with 1.1m is not compliant?

http://www.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au/Consumer...quirements.html

#23 mewsings

Posted 13 December 2012 - 03:53 PM

Will he respond better OP if you phrase it along the lines of trying to save money as well as lives ?  

"DH, I'm really worried that when the council come to issue the compliance certificate that we will be hit with a massive bill to make the fence comply, so let's stop now"  sort of approach ?

For what it's worth,  this is one of those issues I'd dig my heels in over.  I'd get the council to view your proposed plan -  you haven't done anything yet, so you're not actually non-compliant.  Then put it in writing in front of your DH with the costs. I wouldn't bother telling the rellies no pool toys, you can still use them at the beach, the local pool etc...

#24 Feral Nicety

Posted 13 December 2012 - 03:54 PM

No, you need to tell your husband that you don't want the risk or the potential heavy fines.

#25 *focus*

Posted 13 December 2012 - 05:01 PM

QUOTE (JRA @ 13/12/2012, 04:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
focus: i do feel for you, you are in a very difficult situation.

as has been said, are you sure your outer fence with 1.1m is not compliant?

http://www.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au/Consumer...quirements.html

There is also a tree next to the fence. On the nrighbours side so the choice to cut it isn't ours.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Share the little things that make you smile

We're giving away a Mountain Buggy nano, the ultimate travel stroller - and here are some of the great entries so far.

Toddler pleads for return of "stolen" nose

A two-year-old's reaction to a game of "got your nose" shows it doesn't take much to make a toddler cry.

The 15 photos new parents share (and five they don't)

From the first scan photo to the baby covered in cake at their first birthday party, there are 15 photos most parents seem to share - and some they don't.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

Breastfeeding friendly café goes viral

A photo of a breastfeeding-friendly sign in a cafe has been posted to Facebook and shared by hundreds of mums around the world.

First look at the Bugaboo Bee3

The newest Bugaboo Bee ? the Bee3 ? offers a variety of improved features, including a much asked-for bassinet and a rainbow of colour combinations.

Childcare costs, not paid leave, the real issue for parents

Given the choice between maintaining their wage for six months to have a child, or having a reduced rate of pay for a time but a better deal on childcare when returning to work, there are no odds on what most working parents would choose.

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

We lost three babies in two years

Our first pregnancy ended the way we all expected it to - with a healthy, happy baby in our arms. What a true blessing he was, for we were not to know the heartache we were about endure.

Family turned back from doomed flight MH17

'There must have been someone watching over us and saying, 'You must not get on that flight,' says mother who narrowly avoided boarding the Malaysian Airlines flight which exploded in mid-air over the Ukraine last night.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Adorable Skeanie loafers for kids

Your little toddler or preschooler can now get their nautical on with a new range of classic loafers by Australian show brand Skeanie.

My baby is hypermobile

For months, I have been telling myself not to worry that Jasmin isn't crawling or walking. This week I heard the term hypermobile for the first time.

When you don?t bond with your baby

They say that there is no bond greater than the bond between a mother and her child. But for some women, the mother-baby bond takes more time and effort to develop.

Yumi Stynes: Having a baby after a 10-year break

After a long break, Yumi Stynes gets a reminder of the pain - and the pleasure - of giving birth.

Grieving father asks for help to Photoshop his daughter's image

When Nathan Steffel's daughter Sophia died from a liver condition at just 6 weeks old, he reached out for someone to create a beautiful image of his little girl.

Raising kids in a 'low media' home

Can you imagine a life without TV or computers? Some parents are opting for a low-tech, screen-free life for their kids.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

The beautiful moment a baby was born at the side of a road

It's not where she expected to give birth, but mum Corrine Cinatl is delighted that her daughter's roadside arrival was captured in a series of beautiful photos.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

The Nappy Collective starts new drive

It's that time of year when the dedicated volunteers at The Nappy Collective do their bit to help out mums and children in need - and they need your help.

Baby shower cake wrecks

From misshapen cake babies to questionable text, from odd colour choices to internal organ recreation, these are the baby shower cakes that taste forgot.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

Pregnancy progression photo ideas

Want to record your pregnancy as your belly grows? Here are some creative, fun ideas for photo shoots along the way.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Tin can craft and DIY ideas

Got a few old formula, Milo or coffee cans around the house? Use these fantastic upcycling ideas to create items for around the house and yard.

Dads meet their newborn for the first time

Emotional photos of two fathers meeting their newborn son have resonated with viewers worldwide, attracting thousands of Facebook likes and shares.

Skin safety isn't just a summer worry

Lax about the slip slop slap with your kids as weather turns cooler? Here's a reminder as to why we have to remain vigilant for our children?s future health.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Creative sleeping baby photoshoots

See how some parents and photographers have captured sleeping babies in unusual positions and using different props.

DIY kitchen and food hacks

DIY your way to a better kitchen and make cooking easier with our clever hacks. (Some content reproduced with permission from mashable.com.)

Winter warmers for babies and toddlers

Your baby or toddler will be nice and snug in these beautiful and fun winter pieces. Most are hand-made or knitted, and they're all designed to keep your little one toastie - and adorable!

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.