Above Ground Pool Fencing
Please help.

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 *focus*

Posted 13 December 2012 - 02:11 PM

I am going anon as I know I am going to get slammed for this.

We decided to get an above ground pool for Christmas mostly to get our children off computers.

We thought we had all the info on pool fences etc.

Bought the pool.

It is now 2 weeks from Christmas. Just realised that (I think) our fencing is not compliant for NSW but would be for some other states. We are in NSW.
DH has arranged to install a gate for $600 which makes it better but still not compliant. They have probably started making it so we probably have to pay regardless now.
To make it compliant we would have to fence the whole pool and spend around $5,000.
We can't afford that.
Relatives have bought pool toys for Christmas.
We have gone over this 1000 times DH is getting very crankythinks I am overreacting and no kid could get into the pool anyway.
I am really uncomfortable with the whole thing. I can't talk to anyone about it.
I don't know what to do.
We had planned to put the pool up this weekend.
Please help and please don't abuse me for not caring about kids drowning because I really do care otherwise I wouldn't worry about it.

#2 SeaPrincess

Posted 13 December 2012 - 02:15 PM

Your local council will be able to tell you the specific requirements.  Speak to them or have a look on their website.

#3 PrincessPeach

Posted 13 December 2012 - 02:19 PM

I was just going through the pool fencing laws yesterday with my BIL (he's just bought a new house!) - however I am in Qld, so I don't know if the rules are the same.

In Qld you can apply to have an authorised temporary fence put up for 3 months. Now not sure if that is the same case in NSW, but it might give you the financial breathing space.

Is there also an option for you to buy & erect your own pool fence & then have it inspected?

#4 *focus*

Posted 13 December 2012 - 02:22 PM

It does not and will not comply.

It will cost around $5000 to comply. We looked inot putting the fence in ourselves. It is not at all easy and you don't save that much. Plus not knowing what you are doing can mean that the fence is not safe.

#5 *focus*

Posted 13 December 2012 - 02:32 PM

The thing is, we bought a pool with 1.2m high walls and no toe holes as we thought this was compliant (if we take out the steps). It woudn't be compliant in Queensland but not in NSW. DH isn't concerned as he thinks if it is compliant in Queens;and we shouldn't worry about it.

#6 BetteBoop

Posted 13 December 2012 - 02:33 PM

OP, if the side walls are over 1.2 metres (?) it may not require a fence. That's worth looking in to as you may not need to be concerned with the non compliant fence.

How old are your kids?

#7 JRA

Posted 13 December 2012 - 02:35 PM

So it is compliant in the state you are in?

It woudn't be compliant in Queensland but not in NSW. DH isn't concerned as he thinks if it is compliant in Queens;and we shouldn't worry about it.

I am not sure what you are saying?

#8 *focus*

Posted 13 December 2012 - 02:39 PM

QUOTE (BetteBoop @ 13/12/2012, 03:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
OP, if the side walls are over 1.2 metres (?) it may not require a fence. That's worth looking in to as you may not need to be concerned with the non compliant fence.

How old are your kids?

Yes we would not require a fence if we were in Queensland but in NSW the pool is required to be fenced regardless.  My kids are old enough to stand in a pool that size. The youngest is 11 so I am not in the slightlest concerned about them. I am more concerned about the little kids next door. There is a fence next door which is over 1.2 meters but it is not compliant because it has toe holds which are 1.1m apart that is 10cm less than they should be and there is a tree next to the fence. The neighbours with the little kids have a non compliant spa, but somehow that doesn't make me feel any better about the whole thing.

#9 SeaPrincess

Posted 13 December 2012 - 02:41 PM

Call your local council.  They will know what applies.  
Our local council uses satellite imagery to check on pools - they do random checks on a certain number each year as well as identifying new pool installations.

#10 *focus*

QUOTE (JRA @ 13/12/2012, 03:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So it is compliant in the state you are in?

I am not sure what you are saying?

Sorry, it would be compliant in Queensland but we are in NSW. It is not compliant in the state we are in. I am not particualrly concerned about getting fined because I think we would get a warning first. My concern is about the safety of the kids around us.

#11 JRA

The pool is illegal from what you have said, so no I wouldn't. simple, for multiple reason:
- it is illegal
- I would not want to knowingly on purpose contribute to someones death. it isn't that you dont know, you do.
- see point 2
- see point 2

#12 baddmammajamma

Posted 13 December 2012 - 02:44 PM

Hi focus,

I can only imagine how frustrated your husband is & thinking that you are overreacting -- but please don't waver on this one. You have every reason to feel like it doesn't feel right to try to skirt safety standards.

Call your local counsel with your husband as he is the one who needs educating, and reach out to Safewaters or Hannah's Foundation.

OP, I think you appreciate that if you can't comply with safety standards, then you have no real choice other than not to erect the pool -- even if your husband is pressuring you to do so.

I'm sorry for you & your family that you guys don't have the money to fence it properly right now -- lots of disappointment all around, I'm sure (but you are doing the ONLY right thing by holding out).

Hannah Plint (hannabug's daughter) died in an above ground pool accident. sad.gif

#13 *focus*

Posted 13 December 2012 - 02:44 PM

Does anyone know of a way to make the pool compliant that is not going to cost that much?

#14 *focus*

Posted 13 December 2012 - 02:46 PM

QUOTE (baddmammajamma @ 13/12/2012, 03:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi focus,

I can only imagine how frustrated your husband is & thinking that you are overreacting -- but please don't waver on this one. You have every reason to feel like it doesn't feel right to try to skirt safety standards.

Call your local counsel with your husband as he is the one who needs educating, and reach out to Safewaters or Hannah's Foundation.

OP, I think you appreciate that if you can't comply with safety standards, then you have no real choice other than not to erect the pool -- even if your husband is pressuring you to do so.

I'm sorry for you & your family that you guys don't have the money to fence it properly right now -- lots of disappointment all around, I'm sure (but you are doing the ONLY right thing by holding out).

Hannah Plint (hannabug's daughter) died in an above ground pool accident. sad.gif

He knows what the standards are.

#15 JRA

Posted 13 December 2012 - 02:47 PM

the cost is hard to compare, it depends on the size etc.

are you needing to fence around the whole pool, or are some of your external fences compliant?

#16 JRA

Posted 13 December 2012 - 02:48 PM

sorry, we posted at the same time, he knows the standards and wants to go ahead with an illegal fence?

You say you are not worried about a fine as you would get a warning first. What happens when you get the warning? You would pull the pool down then?

#17 baddmammajamma

Posted 13 December 2012 - 02:57 PM

QUOTE (*focus* @ 13/12/2012, 03:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am going anon as I know I am going to get slammed for this.

We decided to get an above ground pool for Christmas mostly to get our children off computers.

We thought we had all the info on pool fences etc.

Bought the pool.

It is now 2 weeks from Christmas. Just realised that (I think) our fencing is not compliant for NSW but would be for some other states. We are in NSW.
DH has arranged to install a gate for $600 which makes it better but still not compliant. They have probably started making it so we probably have to pay regardless now.
To make it compliant we would have to fence the whole pool and spend around $5,000.
We can't afford that.
Relatives have bought pool toys for Christmas.
We have gone over this 1000 times DH is getting very crankythinks I am overreacting and no kid could get into the pool anyway.
I am really uncomfortable with the whole thing. I can't talk to anyone about it.
I don't know what to do.
We had planned to put the pool up this weekend.
Please help and please don't abuse me for not caring about kids drowning because I really do care otherwise I wouldn't worry about it.

QUOTE (*focus* @ 13/12/2012, 03:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The thing is, we bought a pool with 1.2m high walls and no toe holes as we thought this was compliant (if we take out the steps). It woudn't be compliant in Queensland but not in NSW. DH isn't concerned as he thinks if it is compliant in Queens;and we shouldn't worry about it.

Not directed at you, but your husband is being totally unreasonable.

You might be better off starting a thread called "Looking For Responsible But Reasonable Pool Fencer in ___, NSW Area" -- that way, you might actually get some recommendations of who to use (who will still be safe) -- because this thread, as currently positioned, is going to be a losing battle for you. sad.gif  

I'm sorry that your husband isn't on board, and I can totally understand why you are stressed.

Edited by baddmammajamma, 13 December 2012 - 02:59 PM.

#18 Screm

Posted 13 December 2012 - 03:03 PM

Could you not find a fencing company that does interest free? That way you won't need the money upfront but can have your pool this summer.

#19 fancie

Posted 13 December 2012 - 03:06 PM

I thought the required distance between footholds is no less than 900mm.  So boundary fence forming part of the pool isolation may comply.

I would draw a rough map of where you want the pool to go in your yard (including boundary fences, other structures, trees etc) and take it to your local council for advice re placement of the new pool fencing.

#20 JRA

Posted 13 December 2012 - 03:08 PM

The problem the op has is that she cant go to the council for advice as her husband wont follow it anyway.

#21 *focus*

Posted 13 December 2012 - 03:45 PM

Ok now i need emotional support as I will have to say to my DH that I no longer want the $600 gate we just bought, no longer want the pool, and have to call relatives and tell them pool toys are not appropriate.

Edited by *focus*, 13 December 2012 - 03:47 PM.

#22 JRA

Posted 13 December 2012 - 03:52 PM

focus: i do feel for you, you are in a very difficult situation.

as has been said, are you sure your outer fence with 1.1m is not compliant?

http://www.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au/Consumer...quirements.html

#23 mewsings

Posted 13 December 2012 - 03:53 PM

Will he respond better OP if you phrase it along the lines of trying to save money as well as lives ?  

"DH, I'm really worried that when the council come to issue the compliance certificate that we will be hit with a massive bill to make the fence comply, so let's stop now"  sort of approach ?

For what it's worth,  this is one of those issues I'd dig my heels in over.  I'd get the council to view your proposed plan -  you haven't done anything yet, so you're not actually non-compliant.  Then put it in writing in front of your DH with the costs. I wouldn't bother telling the rellies no pool toys, you can still use them at the beach, the local pool etc...

#24 Laborious Nicety

Posted 13 December 2012 - 03:54 PM

No, you need to tell your husband that you don't want the risk or the potential heavy fines.

#25 *focus*

Posted 13 December 2012 - 05:01 PM

QUOTE (JRA @ 13/12/2012, 04:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
focus: i do feel for you, you are in a very difficult situation.

as has been said, are you sure your outer fence with 1.1m is not compliant?

http://www.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au/Consumer...quirements.html

There is also a tree next to the fence. On the nrighbours side so the choice to cut it isn't ours.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Australia's top baby names of 2013

Essential Baby has compiled the data available from government records around the country to bring you the list of Australia's top baby names of 2013.

Sara James: fighting for my daughter

Sara James was a high-profile New York journalist, but it was her own daughter's story which raised the most questions.

Siblings and best of friends

I know we'll have some tense moments. I know there will be arguments. But I also know these two will always have this most beautiful bond.

In defence of mums on the phone

I know news stories always attract a range of opinions, and I know they're a place for people to have an anonymous dig in. However, I also know that this mum bashing has to stop.

Rescue dog Zoey and BFF Jasper star in adorable pics

Photographer, self-professed "crazy dog lady" and mum Grace Chon takes photos of rescue dog Zoey and her 10-month-old son Jasper together. The results are just too cute. See more on Instagram @thegracechon.

Pregnancy essentials for the second and third trimesters

So you're through the first trimester of pregnancy - congratulations! Here are some tips for getting through the next six months as comfortably and happily as possible.

Coles Easter eggs recalled due to presence of tree nuts

An allergic reaction has lead to the urgent recall of a variety of Coles brand Easter eggs.

The ultimate travel stroller: the Mountain Buggy nano

We tried the Mountain Buggy nano and give it an enthusiastic thumbs up. As the ultimate travel stroller, it's practical, has great features, and looks fab, too.

Why I love the small age gap between my kids

Six months after our son turned one, we welcomed son number two into our lives. Yes, the small age gap had been planned - and there are things I love and hate about that small gap.

Parents warned about posting kids' photos online

Parents could be putting their kids at risk by posting images and information online which give away personal details, such as where they go to school and which parks they frequent.

Easter gifts for babies, no chocolate in sight!

If this is your little one?s first Easter you might want to mark the occasion with something a little extra special. Here are 10 Easter gift ideas, which won't harm little teeth.

Mum's the word when it comes to baby news

The arrival of a baby is big news, but friends and family need to understand it is not their news to share.

What?s in your parenting toolbox?

So often as parents, we don?t really talk about our ?parenting toolboxes?. But you need to be aware of what you and your partner are working with, and to decide what does and doesn't fit in your lives.

Classroom pregnancy prank goes viral

An American college professor has had to rethink his strict rule about answering cell phones in class after being the victim of an April Fools' prank that has gone viral.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win the brand new phil&teds vibe

Check out the good looking new release of the Vibe 3 and the Verve 4-wheeler inline strollers. To celebrate their release, we have a Vibe with double kit to give away.

Baby sleep

From birth to one year and beyond, read about baby sleep, soothing techniques, routines, and sleep school experiences.

Australia's top baby names of 2013

Essential Baby has compiled the data available from government records around the country to bring you the list of Australia's top baby names of 2013.

Video: Dad turns son into action movie hero

Many kids would love to be an action movie hero in real life, but very few will ever be able to see themselves in movies like these.

Toilet training in winter

There?s no need to stop thinking about toilet training just because the temperature is dropping: winter is a good a time as any to start the process.

What do you do all day?

It's the question all new mothers dread. For Kate Fridkis, it's a question that strikes to the heart of what it is to be a woman.

Easter gifts for babies, no chocolate in sight!

If this is your little one?s first Easter you might want to mark the occasion with something a little extra special. Here are 10 Easter gift ideas, which won't harm little teeth.

Video: Baby starts his day with a dance party

Few people start their day the same way this little guy does ? dancing, smiling, and generally having an awesome time.

IKEA announces bed canopy recall

IKEA has recalled its range of bed canopies designed to suspend above children?s beds following reported cases of injuries and entanglement.

Free Printable Activities

Keeping little hands busy

Free printable acitivity pages like colouring in, cutting, word finders, mazes, maths activities and puzzles.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.