Would you let your son wear pink zebra print shoes to his first day of preschool?

• Please log in to reply
119 replies to this topic

#1 EBKatie

Posted 13 December 2012 - 10:03 AM

A five-year-old American boy was allowed to do just that but his mother was shocked by the reaction she received from family when she posted a photo of him in the shoes to her Facebook page. The photo has since gone viral and sparked a heated debate online.

Would you allow your child to wear something that you thought would get them bullied or would you encourage them to express themselves no matter the cost?

#2 kpingitquiet

Posted 13 December 2012 - 10:27 AM

If kids are getting bullied in preschool for damn shoes, then there are bigger issues. I am so sick of this. It is 50% possible that our next child will be a boy. Our existing child is a girl. I never questioned putting my daughter in red and black dinosaur clothes from the boys dept or blue tennis shoes. Why would I blink if my son wanted rainbows and pink polkadots? I am just so damned sick of it all. Get over it, people. If your kid or grandchild or some random stranger's child is gay it's nothing to do with what colors they wear. But wtg on setting them up for self-doubt, self-hate, regardless of what their orientation turns out to be

#3 Bluenomi

Posted 13 December 2012 - 10:43 AM

Wouldn't bother me. I was the story yesterday and thought it was cute he picked them because they were zebra print and he loves zebras.

#4 Guest_Sunnycat_*

Posted 13 December 2012 - 10:53 AM

Yes. Really other people need to get over their own issues and stop caring about what other people wear. I would probably explain to my DS that he might get teased as some people are narrow minded and let him decide if he'd still like to wear them. I wouldn't disallow him wanting to wear a pair of shoes.

#5 vanessa71

Posted 13 December 2012 - 10:55 AM

I wouldn't send him in shoes like that, as they would not be the style of shoe we would look for when buying shoes, however DS went to kinder in a pink shirt a few days ago.

#6 muminbusiness

Posted 13 December 2012 - 10:55 AM

Totally and utterly would let him! My master five loves his pink sparkly ballet dress. He adores his sister putting nail polish on him. Plus he loves doing "guy" stuff to:)

#7 JustBeige

Posted 13 December 2012 - 10:56 AM

My first thought was "Of course I would" but when I actually thought in true terms and not what should happen.

honestly, no I probably wouldnt.  I have no problem with them personally - my son had lots of pink stuff as a younger child and still has a pink teddy - but I think its my job to keep them safe and one of those ways is to not knowingly make them the target of ridicule.   I think this is a time and place thing.

*not saying its OK the way society is, just saying that we need to live within this society and children are in no way equiped to deal with bullying and ridicule at this age - hell at any age*

Edited by JustBeige, 13 December 2012 - 11:00 AM.

#8 Chubbles

Posted 13 December 2012 - 11:10 AM

No I wouldn't. I might after he had been for awhile but not on his first day. Unfortunately wether we like it or not kids pick on each other. i would hate for him to be targeted because of his shoes. I would let him go a few times and if he feels comfortable after that he could wear them if he wanted to.

#9 LookMumNoHands

Posted 13 December 2012 - 11:11 AM

Yes, I would.

Not too long ago, DS was going through some stuff his great Nanna was sending to the OP shop, and came across some (really garish!) beaded necklaces. She said he could have them, and he wore them all to kinder the following day. The next day, two of his mates had come to kinder with necklaces on too, to be like my DS  tthumbs.gif

#10 #tootired

Posted 13 December 2012 - 11:15 AM

I let my 5yo DS whatever he wants to kinder. I can't be bothered with the arguments every kinder morning!

Can't wait til he has to wear a uniform next year, so he doesn't have to waste time choosing what to wear!

#11 MrsNorris

Posted 13 December 2012 - 11:17 AM

I wouldn't, but I wouldn't let my DD wear shoes like that to school, either. They are not suitable shoes for school, IMO (and against our school's shoe guidelines).

#12 Bunsen the feral

Posted 13 December 2012 - 11:18 AM

Not those particular shoes as they are not practical for preschool - I wouldn't buy them for a girl either - but DS's favourite colours are pink and purple so he has lots of clothes in those colours and is getting purple shoes for Christmas.

#13 laridae

Posted 13 December 2012 - 11:22 AM

I wouldn't - but not because of the colour or pattern.  Simply because they are not suitable shoes for wearing to school.

#14 Gossipgirl

Posted 13 December 2012 - 11:22 AM

I will get flamed but no I would not let my son wear those shoes to preschool yes of course I want my son to wear what he likes and choose what he likes but that's me and society have not caught up yet and there is no way I would send him out in pink shoes I would be setting him up for bullying even though I think its wrong and he should express himself in his own way I can't knowingly let him go into a situation that I know he will be bullied for.

#15 Fluster

Posted 13 December 2012 - 11:25 AM

Not a chance.  My fifteen year old could wear whatever they damn please, but the job of a 5 year old's parent is to protect them.  You can get into challenging society's prejudices a bit later.

#16 EBeditor

Posted 13 December 2012 - 11:31 AM

What is interesting is that he was not harassed or bullied at all (by the children at least!)

#17 niggles

Posted 13 December 2012 - 11:34 AM

I wouldn't let either of my kids go to school in an outfit that clashes like that, or in shoes not suitable for climbing and running around in. So no to those shoes. But that said my DD doesn't usually care too much about what she wears so I do most of the choosing, or at least presenting of options. I'd probably answer differently if my child had a strong preference.

#18 niggles

Posted 13 December 2012 - 11:39 AM

QUOTE (taranicole @ 13/12/2012, 09:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Although I feel very strongly about avoiding gender stereotypes I don't think being gender-neutral is the answer either. I think kids should be free to be themselves (and that means wearing pink shoes if need be) but that boys should also allowed to be masculine if that's who they are and girls should also be allowed to be feminine if that's who they are. Encouraging complete gender-neutrality results in children feeling they need to deny who they are, their masculinity or femininity, to be more, well, neutral.

But who gets to decide what is 'masculine' and what is 'feminine'? I don't think being gender neutral in that context is about suppressing your interests, it's about not assigning interests to a masculine or feminine persona. There is nothing inherently masculine about wheels and building. There is nothing inherently feminine in flowers and ironing.

#19 Feral Becky

Posted 13 December 2012 - 11:44 AM

QUOTE (Fluster @ 13/12/2012, 11:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Not a chance.  My fifteen year old could wear whatever they damn please, but the job of a 5 year old's parent is to protect them.  You can get into challenging society's prejudices a bit later.

I would like to say the EB PC response but no, I would try to talk my boy out of wearing those shoes.

#20 Hayleymumof3

Posted 13 December 2012 - 11:44 AM

I knew a mum once who always dressed her baby boy in pink...so that people would assume he was a girl and she could use it as an opportunity to rant about gender stereotypes.

I dressed DD1 in blue on a couple of occasions and corrected people when they were wrong "Oh what a beautiful boy" me Nope girl.  I got into trouble from one little old lady.

Yet after DD2 was born I took her into DH's work to show her off she was dressed in a PINK suit, with pink socks and had a pink blanket and got told what a beautiful boy he was wacko.gif .  When I said Umm He is a girl, I was told "how was I suppose to know".

#21 FaithHopeLove

Posted 13 December 2012 - 11:48 AM

I was watching QI a couple of months ago and discovered that baby boys used to be dressed in pink and girls blue as red was seen as the more passionate and strong colour and therefore was seen as masculine while blue was seen as more sedate and calm so feminine.

#22 ~chiquita~

Posted 13 December 2012 - 11:51 AM

QUOTE (LindsayMK @ 13/12/2012, 12:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I would like to say the EB PC response but no, I would try to talk my boy out of wearing those shoes.

This. I also don't think they're suitable for preschool.

#23 HeartMyBoys

Posted 13 December 2012 - 11:52 AM

I would let my son wear pink shoes at home if he really wanted to, but i wouldn't let him wear them to kindy. I remember when my eldest used to go to daycare he would always play with a pink pram. As far as clothing though, i would'nt send my son anywhere in a dress or skirt.........or very girly shoes unsure.gif
Saying that, if i saw a boy at kindy with girly shoes i certainly wouldn't think anything of it, or talk about it negatively.

#24 casime

Posted 13 December 2012 - 12:54 PM

I wouldn't, but that's because school has a uniform and they aren't part of it.  Aside from that, they aren't suitable for school for running around and playing in.  He could wear them to the shops all he likes, but not to school.

#25 tel2

Posted 13 December 2012 - 12:56 PM

If they were pink unisex shoes (eg Converse Allstars, Dr Marten boots etc...) I would think about it, but if they were clearly girls shoes (like these zebra ones are) - No.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Christina Aguilera announces daughter's name

Christina Aguilera and her fiance, Matt Rutler, have welcomed their daughter into the world.

Couple caught in surrogacy crackdown

An Australian couple caught up in Thailand's surrogacy crackdown have said many parents are distraught and facing dire financial difficulties as are they are unable to bring their surrogate-born babies home.

'Tired' mum dies of undiagnosed diabetes

New mum Nicky Rigby thought her exhaustion was due to the demands of looking after her baby. But the 26-year-old was seriously ill with diabetes, and died due to her condition not being diagnosed.

5 co-sleeping myths busted

In case you are co-sleeping with your baby, and all the ?helpful? advice from others is sending you down the slippery slope of self-doubt, let?s bust a few myths on the topic.

When pregnancy takes you down memory lane

One mum-to-be discovers pregnancy hormones can give rise to some surprising emotions.

What?s your love language?

The secret to making your partner feel special is to know which language of love they favour ? and it?s the same for your kids, too.

Returning to exercise after a caesarean

I had my daughter four months ago via caesarean, and I want to get back into exercise. What are some good first steps I can take?

20 signs of a great relationship

The secret to a perfect relationship is admitting you are wrong after an argument, five kisses a day and sex twice a week, a new survey suggests.

Video: emotional 60-second Robin Williams tribute

Take a minute to remember some of the greatest films of your childhood ... and have a few tissues close at hand.

The realities of escaping domestic violence

?Why doesn?t she just leave?? is the common question people ask when trying to understand domestic violence. For many, leaving the relationship is far from straightforward.

Home truths: the DIY dos and don'ts

A professional renovator gives advice on which jobs you should do yourself, and which you should outsource.

Parenting lessons I?ve yet to learn

Instead of writing about the stuff I do know since becoming a mum, I thought I'd share some of the things I don't. These are the lessons that motherhood hasn't taught me.

Will I be wrecked 'down there' after birth?

Did you worry about how you would look "down there" after giving birth? This mum-to-be found plenty of women willing to share their knowledge.

The new weekend playgroup for working mums

Playgroups are great for kids and parents alike - but the downside is that they often meet during the week, leaving working mums out of the loop.

Letting your toddler be the boss at bedtime

Sick of spending hours trying to get your toddler to sleep? These experts say giving your child more of a say at bedtime might be the answer.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

Ezra's tragic death not in vain, mum says

Little Ezra was a "Harry Houdini" who loved trying to escape the family home. Now, after his tragic death, his parents are doing what they can to help others.

Consulting 'Dr Google' when you're pregnant

We're all guilty of turning to the internet for a quick answer when we need medical advice, but Dr Google should be approached with caution - especially when you're pregnant.

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Do you suffer from Precious Firstborn Syndrome?

Testing ?no more tears? shampoo in your own eyes, warming cucumber sticks so they're not cold straight from the fridge, waking a sleeping baby to check they?re still breathing: these are all symptoms of Precious Firstborn Syndrome.

Ezra's tragic death not in vain, mum says

Little Ezra was a "Harry Houdini" who loved trying to escape the family home. Now, after his tragic death, his parents are doing what they can to help others.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

Video: When adults act like children

Ever wondered what would happen if adults were allowed to act like children? This dad's hilarious video clip will give you an idea of what life would be like.

Mums hit hardest as flu cases skyrocket

The number of confirmed cases of influenza in Australia has doubled the number for the same time last year - and women are 25 per cent more likely to get it.

The mum who had four babies in nine months

Feeling exhausted due to the demands of caring for a baby? Imagine the life of this mum, who gave birth to three boys and one girl in just nine months.

Everything baby at Big W

Lowest prices on everything baby, only at Big W. Sale starts August 4 and ends August 20 2014.

Smiggle is painting the town red!

We have 3 Red Smiggle prize packs to give away! Enter by posting a photo of something red to your Instagram.

Mum gives birth at school

Whether they're out of favour traditional names, or the parents were a little creative, here are the least popular names of 2013.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.