Would you let your son wear pink zebra print shoes to his first day of preschool?

• Please log in to reply
112 replies to this topic

#1 EBKatie

Posted 13 December 2012 - 10:03 AM

A five-year-old American boy was allowed to do just that but his mother was shocked by the reaction she received from family when she posted a photo of him in the shoes to her Facebook page. The photo has since gone viral and sparked a heated debate online.

Would you allow your child to wear something that you thought would get them bullied or would you encourage them to express themselves no matter the cost?

#2 kpingitquiet

Posted 13 December 2012 - 10:27 AM

If kids are getting bullied in preschool for damn shoes, then there are bigger issues. I am so sick of this. It is 50% possible that our next child will be a boy. Our existing child is a girl. I never questioned putting my daughter in red and black dinosaur clothes from the boys dept or blue tennis shoes. Why would I blink if my son wanted rainbows and pink polkadots? I am just so damned sick of it all. Get over it, people. If your kid or grandchild or some random stranger's child is gay it's nothing to do with what colors they wear. But wtg on setting them up for self-doubt, self-hate, regardless of what their orientation turns out to be

#3 Bluenomi

Posted 13 December 2012 - 10:43 AM

Wouldn't bother me. I was the story yesterday and thought it was cute he picked them because they were zebra print and he loves zebras.

#4 Guest_Sunnycat_*

Posted 13 December 2012 - 10:53 AM

Yes. Really other people need to get over their own issues and stop caring about what other people wear. I would probably explain to my DS that he might get teased as some people are narrow minded and let him decide if he'd still like to wear them. I wouldn't disallow him wanting to wear a pair of shoes.

#5 vanessa71

Posted 13 December 2012 - 10:55 AM

I wouldn't send him in shoes like that, as they would not be the style of shoe we would look for when buying shoes, however DS went to kinder in a pink shirt a few days ago.

#6 muminbusiness

Posted 13 December 2012 - 10:55 AM

Totally and utterly would let him! My master five loves his pink sparkly ballet dress. He adores his sister putting nail polish on him. Plus he loves doing "guy" stuff to:)

#7 JustBeige

Posted 13 December 2012 - 10:56 AM

My first thought was "Of course I would" but when I actually thought in true terms and not what should happen.

honestly, no I probably wouldnt.  I have no problem with them personally - my son had lots of pink stuff as a younger child and still has a pink teddy - but I think its my job to keep them safe and one of those ways is to not knowingly make them the target of ridicule.   I think this is a time and place thing.

*not saying its OK the way society is, just saying that we need to live within this society and children are in no way equiped to deal with bullying and ridicule at this age - hell at any age*

Edited by JustBeige, 13 December 2012 - 11:00 AM.

#8 JustOneMorePlease

Posted 13 December 2012 - 11:10 AM

No I wouldn't. I might after he had been for awhile but not on his first day. Unfortunately wether we like it or not kids pick on each other. i would hate for him to be targeted because of his shoes. I would let him go a few times and if he feels comfortable after that he could wear them if he wanted to.

#9 LookMumNoHands

Posted 13 December 2012 - 11:11 AM

Yes, I would.

Not too long ago, DS was going through some stuff his great Nanna was sending to the OP shop, and came across some (really garish!) beaded necklaces. She said he could have them, and he wore them all to kinder the following day. The next day, two of his mates had come to kinder with necklaces on too, to be like my DS  tthumbs.gif

#10 #tootired

Posted 13 December 2012 - 11:15 AM

I let my 5yo DS whatever he wants to kinder. I can't be bothered with the arguments every kinder morning!

Can't wait til he has to wear a uniform next year, so he doesn't have to waste time choosing what to wear!

#11 auntpriscilla

Posted 13 December 2012 - 11:17 AM

I wouldn't, but I wouldn't let my DD wear shoes like that to school, either. They are not suitable shoes for school, IMO (and against our school's shoe guidelines).

#12 Bunsen the feral

Posted 13 December 2012 - 11:18 AM

Not those particular shoes as they are not practical for preschool - I wouldn't buy them for a girl either - but DS's favourite colours are pink and purple so he has lots of clothes in those colours and is getting purple shoes for Christmas.

#13 laridae

Posted 13 December 2012 - 11:22 AM

I wouldn't - but not because of the colour or pattern.  Simply because they are not suitable shoes for wearing to school.

#14 Gossipgirl

Posted 13 December 2012 - 11:22 AM

I will get flamed but no I would not let my son wear those shoes to preschool yes of course I want my son to wear what he likes and choose what he likes but that's me and society have not caught up yet and there is no way I would send him out in pink shoes I would be setting him up for bullying even though I think its wrong and he should express himself in his own way I can't knowingly let him go into a situation that I know he will be bullied for.

#15 Fluster

Posted 13 December 2012 - 11:25 AM

Not a chance.  My fifteen year old could wear whatever they damn please, but the job of a 5 year old's parent is to protect them.  You can get into challenging society's prejudices a bit later.

#16 EBeditor

Posted 13 December 2012 - 11:31 AM

What is interesting is that he was not harassed or bullied at all (by the children at least!)

#17 niggles

Posted 13 December 2012 - 11:34 AM

I wouldn't let either of my kids go to school in an outfit that clashes like that, or in shoes not suitable for climbing and running around in. So no to those shoes. But that said my DD doesn't usually care too much about what she wears so I do most of the choosing, or at least presenting of options. I'd probably answer differently if my child had a strong preference.

#18 niggles

Posted 13 December 2012 - 11:39 AM

QUOTE (taranicole @ 13/12/2012, 09:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Although I feel very strongly about avoiding gender stereotypes I don't think being gender-neutral is the answer either. I think kids should be free to be themselves (and that means wearing pink shoes if need be) but that boys should also allowed to be masculine if that's who they are and girls should also be allowed to be feminine if that's who they are. Encouraging complete gender-neutrality results in children feeling they need to deny who they are, their masculinity or femininity, to be more, well, neutral.

But who gets to decide what is 'masculine' and what is 'feminine'? I don't think being gender neutral in that context is about suppressing your interests, it's about not assigning interests to a masculine or feminine persona. There is nothing inherently masculine about wheels and building. There is nothing inherently feminine in flowers and ironing.

#19 Feral Becky

Posted 13 December 2012 - 11:44 AM

QUOTE (Fluster @ 13/12/2012, 11:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Not a chance.  My fifteen year old could wear whatever they damn please, but the job of a 5 year old's parent is to protect them.  You can get into challenging society's prejudices a bit later.

I would like to say the EB PC response but no, I would try to talk my boy out of wearing those shoes.

#20 Hayleymumof3

Posted 13 December 2012 - 11:44 AM

I knew a mum once who always dressed her baby boy in pink...so that people would assume he was a girl and she could use it as an opportunity to rant about gender stereotypes.

I dressed DD1 in blue on a couple of occasions and corrected people when they were wrong "Oh what a beautiful boy" me Nope girl.  I got into trouble from one little old lady.

Yet after DD2 was born I took her into DH's work to show her off she was dressed in a PINK suit, with pink socks and had a pink blanket and got told what a beautiful boy he was wacko.gif .  When I said Umm He is a girl, I was told "how was I suppose to know".

#21 FaithHopeLove

Posted 13 December 2012 - 11:48 AM

I was watching QI a couple of months ago and discovered that baby boys used to be dressed in pink and girls blue as red was seen as the more passionate and strong colour and therefore was seen as masculine while blue was seen as more sedate and calm so feminine.

#22 ~chiquita~

Posted 13 December 2012 - 11:51 AM

QUOTE (LindsayMK @ 13/12/2012, 12:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I would like to say the EB PC response but no, I would try to talk my boy out of wearing those shoes.

This. I also don't think they're suitable for preschool.

#23 HeartMyBoys

Posted 13 December 2012 - 11:52 AM

I would let my son wear pink shoes at home if he really wanted to, but i wouldn't let him wear them to kindy. I remember when my eldest used to go to daycare he would always play with a pink pram. As far as clothing though, i would'nt send my son anywhere in a dress or skirt.........or very girly shoes unsure.gif
Saying that, if i saw a boy at kindy with girly shoes i certainly wouldn't think anything of it, or talk about it negatively.

#24 casime

Posted 13 December 2012 - 12:54 PM

I wouldn't, but that's because school has a uniform and they aren't part of it.  Aside from that, they aren't suitable for school for running around and playing in.  He could wear them to the shops all he likes, but not to school.

#25 tel2

Posted 13 December 2012 - 12:56 PM

If they were pink unisex shoes (eg Converse Allstars, Dr Marten boots etc...) I would think about it, but if they were clearly girls shoes (like these zebra ones are) - No.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Get your FREE Baby & Toddler Ticket!

Get your free ticket to the Essential Baby & Toddler Show Brisbane (4-6 March). Register online now to save $20!

Newborn baby found in a nativity scene

Police are trying to trace a woman who abandoned a baby boy in the manger of a church nativity scene.

Life would be harder without my kids

The Humans of New York Facebook page is well known for sharing touching, real stories from one of the world's biggest cities – and it's just hit the heart of parents everywhere.

Mum dresses as Wonder Woman for last day of chemo

A Brisbane mum dressed up as a superhero to celebrate the end of her chemotherapy and created a moment her family will remember forever.

How a raisin can predict a toddler's IQ

All you need to assess a child's future intelligence is a plastic cup and a raisin, according to new research.

Former Hi-5 member's cannabis hope

Former Hi-5 star Tim Harding hopes a cannabis-derived drug will help control his daughter's epilepsy, which sees the four-year-old suffering between 50 and 100 seizures a day.

The top 5 reasons your toddler throws a tantrum

Whilst to the outside world little people may appear to have it easy, it's actually not always the case – just ask any toddler who's had their toast cut up the wrong way.

Glenn McGrath thought he'd lost his wife and baby

Australian cricket ledged Glen McGrath has spoken about the moment he thought he might lose his wife, Sara and their baby daughter, Madison.

Inside my Centrelink nightmare

Mother Bec Smith has been trying for months to access Centrelink payments. A "serious error" is preventing her.

Warnings over push for hourly childcare billing

Australia's peak childcare body has called for caution around the Turnbull government's push for childcare centres to charge parents by the hour, not by the day.

Cate Blanchett thought about adopting for years

Cate Blanchett says her recent adoption of a baby girl had nothing to do with wanting a daughter after having three sons.

Kate Walsh: 'I can't have kids'

Grey's Anatomy star Kate Walsh has revealed she is unable to have children because she has experienced early menopause.

The parasite that could boost fertility

The Tsimane women of Bolivia are often revered as among the most fertile in the world - on average having 10 children in their lifetimes -- but some are even more fertile than others.

Family may sue cousin over genetics

A Melbourne couple is suing the Royal Children's Hospital for failing to diagnose a genetic disorder in their first child - an error they allege caused them to have another child with severe disabilities.

Strange things mums have done in labour

While most women in labour focus on the upcoming birth of their baby, some women do more interesting things.

Michael Clarke reveals baby's name

When Michael Clarke said he was wrapped around the finger of his little princess, he wasn't joking.

The logistics of breastfeeding twins

Our life is more or less divided into neat four hour parcels of time and it's hard to get much of anything done in the time between feeds.

How to stop people ruining Christmas

We can make a conscious effort about how we react to those curly Christmas day scenarios that can send us up the wall, or should we say chimney.

Lots of formula offers for desperate mum

The mum who was down to her last three tins of baby formula said she had received hundreds of calls and offers to send her formula.

Surviving breast cancer while pregnant

It was last thing Rebecca O'Donnell expected at 30 weeks' pregnant. One morning, while putting on her bra, she felt a pea-sized lump in her right breast.

Cot sheet brands for the nursery

With so many awesome cot sheet options these days, we thought we'd put together a list of go-to brands for you to seek out for your baby's bed.

What's hot on EB

How I survived breast cancer while pregnant

It was last thing Rebecca O'Donnell expected at 30 weeks' pregnant. One morning, while putting on her bra, she felt a pea-sized lump in her right breast.

Grieving father's letter to Bataclan terrorists: "...this little boy will threaten you by being happy and free"

A grieving father whose wife was killed in the attacks on the Bataclan Theatre last weekend has written an open letter to her killers.

5 challenges of motherhood - and how to see them differently

Despite the smiles, the sloppy kisses and the pure magic children bring to our lives, it's hard to deny that motherhood can be tough.

4 challenges of being a new dad - and how to face them

Becoming a parent is challenging – and that applies to both mums and dads.

My battle against antenatal and postnatal depression

I was five months pregnant when I realised I needed help.

Children swapped at birth will not be returned to biological parents

A boy and girl accidentally swapped on the day they were born will stay with the families who have raised them, a South African court has ruled.

A quarter of men believe they get 'man periods'

A British study has revealed one in four men believe they have a monthly cycle.

Baby deposit

How much do you need to save for a 'baby deposit'?

It's fairly straightforward to calculate a house deposit, but how much money do you need to save up for a baby?

Dad's beautiful note to his wife, a nurse

To anyone else it might just look like a picture of a mum having a nap with her toddler.

'I was a complete schmuck': Mike Baird opens up about his wife's postnatal depression

When his wife Kerryn was not well following the birth of their daughter, NSW Premier Mike Baird buried himself in his work.

Mum's desperate plea as whooping cough alert issued

A desperate mother has shared a heart-breaking video of her baby struggling to cope with a coughing fit caused by pertussis.

Coffee could help you live longer

New US research found people who report drinking three to five cups of coffee a day are less likely to die prematurely from heart disease, suicide, diabetes or Parkinson's disease.

The joy and dread of playdates

To live vicariously through your child is to rediscover anxieties you thought dead and buried.

Sick baby could die without scarce special formula, mum says

Lizzie Cann is down to her last three tins of a special formula in short supply.

Adorable toddler's strop foiled by squeaky shoes

We're probably all familiar with the pouty bottom lip and tightly crossed arms of a tot mid-strop.

More sex during World Cup created more baby boys

More sex during South Africa's World Cup meant a disproportionately high number of boys were born nine months later, a new study has found.

ABC Shop perfect for Christmas gifts

What a boon it would be to have your toddler's Christmas gifts covered this year. We have two awesome ABC Shop prize packs to give away to two lucky winners.

Do fitness challenges really work?

Fitness challenges aren't new. There's Michelle Bridges 12WBT and a bunch of other programs if you really want to lose weight.

What are pregnant women Googling?

Pregnancy is a huge change for any woman, so it's natural we'll have questions - and turn to Google to ask them.

Can't decide?

Check out the Essential Baby Names section for some inspiration

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.