I don't know what to buy my kids!
Is anyone really pleased with their choices and would like to share?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 pencil

Posted 12 December 2012 - 10:40 PM

I need ideas. Kids are 1, 3, 8, 10, 12 and 16.

Especially the 8 and 12 year old's gifts are lacking.

12 yr old has no interests whatsoever, doesn't like reading, or clothes, or anything! Has all the 'gadgets', but barely uses them. At a loss.

8 yr old loves everything, but hasn't really requested much. I don't want to just add to the beanie kids/lps/barbie collection, so was hoping to find something a bit different.

Others could do with one or two more things each.

#2 *LucyE*

Posted 12 December 2012 - 10:48 PM

We're going away on holidays which, in my grinch like spirit, felt was enough of a present.

DH is making up for his own poor, deprived (*snigger snigger*) childhood, so has bought our 5 and 9 yr old digital underwater cameras.

They have access to an iPad so will be able to upload and edit their own photos while on holidays.

Santa may or may not arrive with some stocking fillers of small pool toys. It will depend on how much I believe (or my energy levels).

The 2 year old may get a blow up beach ball. He's easily amused. I gave DD bubble wrap when she was little (I even wrapped it up in pretty paper. They don't actually 'need' anything so I'm not one to buy for the sake of it.

#3 asdf89

Posted 12 December 2012 - 10:49 PM

Movie voucher for the 12y/o? (if they are allowed to go to the movies with friends that is) Or a DVD of their favourite movie/tv show.

If the 8 y/o likes to read, anything by d*ck King Smith is good. He wrote Babe, and has a heap of other animal oriented books. Some might be a bit hard for 8 - but could be something you read together if you have time.

Australian Geographic have cool, different kids presents. I bought my 5 y/o niece the foam rocket set (http://shop.australi...cket-P1208.aspx) last year and she loved it. You just have to be prepared to retrieve some rockets from the roof  biggrin.gif . Heaps of other cool ideas on that website tho.

Are you near any theme parks/zoos/cool museums or science centres? Could do a day out to somewhere as a whole of family gift.

#4 ~THE~MAGICIAN~

Posted 12 December 2012 - 11:19 PM

I was going to suggest underwater cameras too! I just got my 11 yo DD one and am going to go back and get one for my 9 yo DD.

Oh and Furby's and Figit's are the 'in' thing.

I'm guessing the 8 yo is a girl? What are the others? It might help.

Edited by ~THE~MAGICIAN~, 12 December 2012 - 11:21 PM.

#5 EssentialBludger

Posted 12 December 2012 - 11:32 PM

Some of the things I've got my 8yo DD:

Furby
Mousetrap game
Soda stream
Pin art
IPod cover
Hair crimper
Magic set
Smiggle stuff

#6 *CalamityJane*

Posted 12 December 2012 - 11:43 PM

I'm stuck with my 9 yo DDs too.  They want an electric scooter, but that's not happening.  

They do love Blingles and Geleez (or however you spell them) so I've bought some add on kits from Santa as they already have the starter kits.  Might be an idea for your 8yo?

#7 ~Supernova~

Posted 13 December 2012 - 04:27 AM

The two things at the top of my almost 8yr olds list (which I got) are a figit and crayola glow book/tent. She is also getting clothes, a new rashie, and stocking filler crap. Oh, and books! She is very into Babysitter Club and Goosebumps. Do they even make them anymore?? I picked some up at the school fete, and she loves them.

For my 9mth old, I got little people stuff, a ball pit, some clothes, cars, trucks etc.

#8 mumto3princesses

Posted 13 December 2012 - 05:50 AM

My 13yr old DD is getting stuff for her room which she will love. New quilt set, lamp, pillow and some ornaments. She really likes Owls and Paris (Effiel Tower) stuff so its all in those themes. She is getting other things too but I think she will love all that.

My 9yr old twins still lovr baby dolls probably because they have never had much in the way of baby doll stuff except for a doll and a few bits and pieces over the years. They are getting new dolls and prams and some doll accessories.

#9 Sentient Puddle

Posted 13 December 2012 - 06:53 AM

I was going to suggest some new linen with matching cushions? What about a "voucher" for a room redecoration (if you are up to something like that of course).

#10 R2B2

Posted 13 December 2012 - 06:54 AM

lego (you can get "girl" lego now as well)

2 year old is getting: a trike, little people plane, little people bus, blu rays, smurf megablocks, dora megablocks.

6 year old is getting: skylanders giants, 3 giants skylanders, lego lighthouse, monsters lego set, blu rays, skylanders puzzle, skylanders holder case.

check out the toys r us website. we had a look around and found inspiration there.

Edited by R2B2, 13 December 2012 - 06:55 AM.

#11 DS1979

Posted 13 December 2012 - 06:55 AM

Would your 12 year old like a voucher to get a manicure/pedicure? The 8 and 12 year old may like to do that together. I always loved getting stationary at that age - pretty notebooks, glittery pens, even stuff for school next year. A new swimming costume? Not much fun but handy seeing as it's the summer holidays! I also think movie tickets are a great idea; again your 8 and 12 year old may enjoy seeing a movie together.

I think 12 is such a hard age to buy for. My nephew is almost that age and his only interest is sport - but he's got pretty much everything to do with sport already! He has asked for money as he is going on a trip with my sister in Jan.

Would your kids play board games together or do a large puzzle together? Something like that might make a good communal gift?

#12 froggy1

Posted 13 December 2012 - 07:04 AM

What about skateboards for your 8 & 12 year old? A bit exxy, but sometimes you can pick them up on sale?
(I know that is what my 7yo wants, but she also wanted an underwater camera and a pet puppy. Nana is getting her the camera!)

#13 Harmonica

Posted 13 December 2012 - 07:12 AM

What about Smiggle stationary for both of them?

Or..

Rollerblades
Ripstik
Lava lamps

8 yr old - Furby

12 yr old - Gold class movie tickets, DIVA jewellery, An éxperience' like jet boat riding, parasailing etc

#14 Zanbam

Posted 13 December 2012 - 07:13 AM

It completely depends on where you live and how much you want to spend but what about a going horse riding or a surfing lesson for either (depending on how well the 8yo can swim)?

I really like experience gifts...

#15 kpingitquiet

Posted 13 December 2012 - 07:25 AM

Okay, I'll give it a shot biggrin.gif

1yo: New outfit, some books, some puzzles original.gif

3yo: A trike, or pool toys (if you have water around), or accessories for existing toys like a new dressups box or something, books, or toddler trampoline, playhouse, etc.

8yo, 10, and 12yo: Can you get a big combo gift for them all? Like a trampoline or some other cool thing like that? Otherwise, I'd vote for gifts of individual lunches out with parent(s) and a few small gifts of stationery, toys, books, etc.

16yo: GIFT CARDS. Definitely gift cards. Favorite stores if they have them or itunes, or whatever. This one can get a lunch date from parent(s), too biggrin.gif

And if you're really stuck, buy everyone some little stocking stuffers and then some tickets to a zoo/aquarium/themepark/beachhouse-for-a-weekend/etc and all go together as a big family gift.

Matching boogie boards for everyone if you live near the  beach? I dunno lol.

#16 mumto3princesses

Posted 13 December 2012 - 07:54 AM

Not sure where you are but we have also been thinking about Luna Park annual passes. They have a deal at the moment if you buy by the 23rd (I think?) of December then you get the 2nd year free. Not sure if they have to be done at the park with the photo or if you can buy it online and do the actual pass afterwards though. But its a 2 yr pass for $99 each. Really good value if they like rides.

#17 FeralRebelWClaws

Posted 13 December 2012 - 07:55 AM

DSDs are 10 and soon to be 8. For Christmas they are getting new PJs, nail polish, lipgloss, watches, mp3 players, bag, notebooks, pens, erasers, monster high dolls, a slip n slide, some hand puppets, craft stuff, colouring in books. Pretty much everything is monster high branded LOL

I like giving them something to do in the holidays. So I normally get something they can do alone and something I can do with them.

#18 maurie

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:51 AM

I'm buying my ten year old niece some 3D drawing paper - comes with the glasses too.

Cherryames - what exactly is 3D drawing paper and where would I get some?

Edited by maurie, 13 December 2012 - 09:53 AM.

#19 MotherClucker

Posted 13 December 2012 - 11:20 AM

DD9 is in love with Origami at the moment so she will be getting 2 origami books and a kmart brand 7 inch tablet ! The rest of them do not have bikes yet so they are getting bikes.  DD7 is pokemon mad so is getting the new pokemon games, and a few of the pokemon stuffed toys. DS6 wants lego and hotwheels, DD6 wants a Rainbow unicorn and LaLa loopsy doll and a furby. DD4 just wants a teapot set but is getting a furby, some building blocks, a drawing paper set and a few other cheapie things

#20 julzely

Posted 13 December 2012 - 11:44 AM

How about an experience gift and some one on one time - say movie tickets/gold class tickets/day spa/adventure park for just just the two of you.

I'm sure they would have an awesome time and really treasure it especially as it is a present just for them but also getting a parent to themselves

#21 ~carmen~

Posted 13 December 2012 - 12:02 PM

QUOTE (jameses mum @ 13/12/2012, 10:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
He wrote to Santa for an ipod touch

well if he especially wrote to Santa for that then don't you feel obligated? I did for 7 1/2 yo dd on same item but she has already sent one iPod shuffle thru washing machine so I thought no way new iPod touch & instead went eBay! Best $40 spent as all I have to do now is get new pink case & headset earphones as don't want her using earplug ones!

Gumtree & eBay great for all ages gifts to check out!! They soon wreck or damage by end of school holidays anyway right!!

#22 Illiterati

Posted 13 December 2012 - 02:17 PM

well if he especially wrote to Santa for that then don't you feel obligated? I did for 7 1/2 yo dd on same item but she has already sent one iPod shuffle thru washing machine so I thought no way new iPod touch & instead went eBay!

You're kidding right?

#23 **Xena**

Posted 13 December 2012 - 03:46 PM

QUOTE (maurie @ 13/12/2012, 10:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Cherryames - what exactly is 3D drawing paper and where would I get some?

I don't know about 3D paper but you can buy 3D chalk with glasses at K-Mart for $5. We had an awesome time drawing on the driveway with it and then looking at our pictures through the glasses.

#24 maurie

Posted 13 December 2012 - 11:25 PM

thank you Xena, I'll get some for dd, we have a big blackboard in the kitchen - should be very cool!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Special offer: The Baby & Toddler Show 2014

At The Baby & Toddler Show, you?ll find everything you need to get ready for your new arrival and guide you through the early weeks and years of parenting.

An open letter to Tony Abbott: please salvage our super

We face financial ruin, but most of us don?t realise it. If we don?t act together to salvage our superannuation, I have no doubt the new GFC will be the Girls? Financial Crisis.

'I'm happy to know I'm changing lives': surrogate mum of two

I know that once the baby is born, I will focus on the gift I have given, and watch the parents with their new child. I can't wait for that day.

Birth trauma and the issue of informed consent

There is a perception that women should just be happy they have a healthy baby in their arms. But for women who experienced birth trauma, there's a lot more to it.

Tips for managing pollen allergies and hayfever

They're simple tips, but they can have a big impact on those who suffer from hayfever and pollen allergies.

Ada Nicodemou shares tribute to her stillborn baby

Just over one month since Ada Nicodemou and her husband lost their second son, the Home and Away star has shared a touching poem for her baby.

Mum causes stir breastfeeding on train

?To the woman breastfeeding her kid on the train. Seriously! On the train?" began the letter of complaint.

10 things they don?t tell you about being pregnant

As I slowly waddle my ever-changing pregnant body towards the finishing line of my due date, it?s becoming increasingly clear there are a lot of things they just don?t tell you about pregnancy.

Overcoming a fear of the dark

A toddler's fear of the dark is very normal, but there are ways parents can help children through this stage in their development.

Kids, TV and movies: how young is too young?

It seems you don't have to throw the TV and iPad out the window - it all boils down to moderation, supervision and interaction.

Video: Baby's first birthday is a special day for mum, too

?A baby?s first birthday is also mum?s first birthday.?

The day Supernanny came to tea

Prince William's favourite celebrity child trainer Jo Frost puts Bryony Gordon and her toddler through their paces.

Tales from the homefront

When you're at work you sort of assume that your house is basically just sitting there quietly doing nothing until you return. However, since spending my days at home, I've learned this couldn't be further from the truth.

The words I hated hearing as new mum

It was less than a week after my son was born that I first heard it - from my mother.

To the pharmacist who sold me baby formula

On the rare occasion I catch sight of you at school, or around town, I think back to our earliest exchange. I?m sure you have no recollection of it at all.

Babies may benefit from autism therapy

Children showing signs of autism don't usually receive early intervention until well into toddlerhood or later, but a new study suggests infants with symptoms of the developmental disorder might benefit from therapy from as early as six months.

Knatalye and Adeline born with an everlasting bond

Knatalye Hope and Adeline Faith are a lot like any other identical twin girls, but there is one dramatic difference: they're joined at the chest and shares several internal organs.

The question this dad wishes he'd asked his wife

I should have seen that my wife wasn't the same person I'd fallen in love with, but we were both too focused on simply trying to get by.

Why we should talk about the deaths of the Hunt children

The deaths are too horrible even to think about. Yet we owe it to the children - Fletcher, Mia and Phoebe Hunt - to think long and hard about it all.

Baby dies of meningococcal weeks after vaccine application denied

A six-month-old girl has died from meningococcal disease just weeks after an application for government funding of a vaccine for the most deadly strain of the virus was rejected.

Finding the right balance when playing with your kids

Being too involved in our children?s play and not allowing our kids enough free time for unstructured activities can mean our kids miss out on the value that play offers.

Creative DIY light shades

The Pop Light light shade comes in a flat pack already made - it's up to you to design it as you'd like.

The battle of iParenting versus imagination

Have we forgotten how to be imaginative, resourceful parents?

Why movement is so important for your baby's growth

Letting your child move as much as possible in the early years ? using all senses, engaging in the real world, preferably outside ? will help them grow up healthier, smarter, calmer and stronger.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Special offer: The Baby & Toddler Show 2014

At The Baby & Toddler Show, you?ll find everything you need to get ready for your new arrival and guide you through the early weeks and years of parenting.

Losing yourself to motherhood

While watching your baby grow into a unique little person is exciting and wondrous, the intensity of meeting everyone else?s needs can ever so sneakily overtake your own needs for self-care.

Tearing during delivery: the facts

Almost all women will experience bruising, grazing or tearing after a vaginal birth. Depending on the degree of tearing, there are various treatments available.

6 tips for a day out with a baby and toddler

Outings can be lots of fun with the kids, but there are inevitable challenges. Here's some information about days out to help you be a little more prepared.

Why I invited a dozen people to watch my son's birth

I sent invitations on burgundy scrapbooking paper stamped with a field of poppies, and told each person why I wanted him or her there. I warned that there would be nudity.

Getting labour started: tips for a natural induction

When your baby?s due date comes and goes without so much as a pop - let alone a bang - it can be disheartening. Mums and a doula share their stories of natural inductions.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

That's my boy: a dad's diary of the first 4 months

Unbearable anxiety, unspeakable joy, constant exhaustion and bouts of frustration ... The many shocks of first-time fatherhood resound in a dad's diary of his son's early months.

One of the most important things a new mum can do

Finances may not be as cute as a newborn, but with many women?s working arrangements changing post-baby, monetary matters need attention too.

Single, pregnant - and 51

She first became a mum at 49 - now, two years later, Tracey Khan is pregnant with her second child.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Reader offer

2 FOR 1 TICKET OFFER

For Shopping, For Advice, For Baby & You. Enjoy a special day out with fabulous shopping from over 200 brands, leading parenting experts offering advice on a range of topics, and amazing children?s entertainment

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.