Changing kids school

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 *Ker*

Posted 12 December 2012 - 07:19 PM

I'm not at all happy with the kids school. I want to move them and am going up to another school tomorrow to basically beg them to take my kids.

However, I just asked the kids whether they'd be happy to move to another school and DS just LOST it. He started bawling and saying he would miss his friend Abby. DD doesn't care either way.

I hate his school. Really hate it. How can I make him see it would be good to move, and make him not hate me for it? He's almost 8 and going into year 3. I've always been against changing schools and taking them away from their friends, but I don't reallly see much choice.

#2 DylJayBen's Mum

Posted 12 December 2012 - 07:34 PM

I'm changing my nearly 7yo DS to a different school next year, I don't like his school either.  I gave him the choice and we both went and visited the new school and I pointed out all of the positives to him. I then decided that I had to be a good parent and do what is right for his education and his future and told him that "he is changing schools and that is that, it broke my heart but I needed to what is right for him in the long run. He had orientation there yesterday and seemed to be pleased with it. They will make new friends very quickly at that age.  It was a really hard choice to have to make, my DS is very sensitive and doesn't like change at all. I figure that this change may be a good experiance for him as I'm hoping that it will show him that change can be a good thing.

Good luck with it, stay strong and I wouldn't be giving him a choice if you think that it's the right thing to do.

#3 mumto3princesses

Posted 12 December 2012 - 07:42 PM

Can he still catch up with Abby at other times? Or do the same after school activity as Abby?

A friend of my girls changed schools and her mum reassured her that she could still see my girls during school holidays and she also joined their after school activity.

She went with her mum to look at the new school and was ok with it after that. Maybe explain what the new school has that the current one doesn't.

#4 roses99

Posted 12 December 2012 - 07:43 PM

I think in that case you just have to trust that - as the parent who has their best interests at heart - you know best.

I realise that his SNs make it more complicated, but that doesn't mean he wouldn't eventually adjust. I'd just be really cautious to make sure that this new school is going to be a keeper.

My brother and I attended seven schools growing up, as we moved around with my parents' work. I loved it and was always keen to move and start a new school. My brother hated it. But - in every instance - he adjusted pretty quickly, made friends and settled in really well. My mum, in particular, was very proactive in smoothing the way for him. I remember, when he was starting year nine, she spoke to the year level coordinator and had a quiet word about helping to set my brother up with like-minded friends. So his friendship group was pretty much 'engineered', but it meant he found his feet really quickly with kids who he got on with really well.

#5 Therese

Posted 12 December 2012 - 07:45 PM

I think that sometimes we need to make decisions because we think they are right even when our kids don't agree.

It sounds like a change would be a good thing so I hope the move isn't too bad.

#6 JustBeige

Posted 12 December 2012 - 07:57 PM

When we changed our school it was hugely hard.  We told the kids that it was OK to be upset, anxious etc but there was no point in arguing as we couldnt / wouldnt change our minds.

We started with showing them the school website and looking at all the different extra curicular things that they could do through the school and we also let them finally pick an extra curicular activity out of school.

When they started, we used to get them to tell us 3 good things that happened today. even if it was a small as 'xyz said hello and sat with me at lunch'.    In my DS's case his mostly consisted of  'no one picked on me today'

Ker, I have read your updates.  Yes your DS WILL lose it, simply because of who he is.   I think letting him start having outside playdates with Abby is the first best step in helping him adjust.

Its such a shame that there is no way to keep his SSO in his life ongoing.

#7 Carmen02

Posted 12 December 2012 - 08:01 PM

QUOTE (Therese @ 12/12/2012, 06:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think that sometimes we need to make decisions because we think they are right even when our kids don't agree.

It sounds like a change would be a good thing so I hope the move isn't too bad.

I agree, we moved DD's school when she was 7 I really hated her other school it was holding her back big time. She cried protested the works, but in the end she has excelled at this school shes been here for 3 almost 4yrs now and she loves it.

#8 Feral Madam Mim

Posted 12 December 2012 - 08:11 PM

Because he has ASD I have no idea, usually I would just explain why we were doing it and that it is what I thought was best for them so it is what was going to happen like it or not. but I remember you saying he does not cope well with change, all I can think of is merging him in slowly, but no idea how this would work with the school, if you could figure out who would be in his class at the new school I would suggest trying to make play dates with some of the kids so that he didn't feel so alone on the first day, would the school allow you to stay in the class for the first couple of weeks to help him?

#9 Freddie'sMum

Posted 12 December 2012 - 08:26 PM

Hi OP

Here's my story - when DD#1 was about to start school, I tied myself up in knots over it.  There were basically 3 schools she could go to - Catholic (which I was desperate for her to get into), really large public school (really nice school but I felt she would be 'lost' because it was too big) and a much smaller public school (which I didn't get a good feeling about).

Anyhoo, she got accepted into the Catholic school and I was so relieved - and she was so happy and had a lovely teacher and a wonderful first year of school.

During that year, I cracked it - DH & I and the 2 x girls (and the cat) were living in a 2 bedroom unit which had no space whatsoever.  I was losing the plot - there was no more storage 'tricks' I could try - we were bursting at the seams and DH & I decided to sell the unit and buy something bigger.

So, we sold the unit and bought a 3 bedroom townhouse - in a completely different suburb - miles out from our old suburb (because that's where we could afford to buy).  

And we did this in the middle of the year - so by term 3 she was living in a new house but going to the same school - and me being the idiot that I am - thought - "no problems" - we can just commute in and out 5 days a week.

Did I mention that I was an idiot ??  Commuting with small children during Sydney traffic is a truly stupid idea - so we lasted to the end of her first year of Kindy and then started her (this year) at the local Catholic school in our suburb.  I can literally walk to school - such a huge difference from sitting in the car for anywhere between 1 to 2 hours (each way).

She has adjusted fine - she has made new friends - she has anxiety / shyness issues and the current school (and her amazing teacher) have really brought her out of her shell.  So my very long-winded post is sometimes you (as the parent) do have to make decisions that our kids don't like but we know that it is for the best.  If you think the current school is not up to scratch - then I believe education is so damn important for kids - then making the move now is the best decision.  

Remind your kids that they will still see their special friends - arrange playdates / meetings - keep the contact there.  

Best wishes (sorry for the epic post).

#10 Expelliarmus

Posted 12 December 2012 - 08:33 PM

If it's because he's getting a new SSO, that's not going to change if you shift schools though. Is there more to it? I hope so, or you might be disappointed in the new school as well.

The Mainstream Special Ed Co ordinator at work always says that some decisions are 'mummy and daddy decisions' or 'grown up decisions'. These include where you live, who you live with, if you take medication and where you go to school. She explains it like that to students with disabilities - and NT ones as well. Sometimes she talks about how some school decisions are grown up decisions as well.

The plain language seems to help. Good luck.

#11 *Ker*

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:10 PM

QUOTE (howdo @ 12/12/2012, 09:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If it's because he's getting a new SSO, that's not going to change if you shift schools though. Is there more to it? I hope so, or you might be disappointed in the new school as well.

Her leaving is just the last straw. The school has been getting progressively worse over the last 2 years and todays news was just the icing on the cake. DD's teacher leaving threw me and I was furious, but I thought "A is still there and DS needs her". He said to me as recently as yesterday that he loved her and she was his favourite. I'm not fond of his teacher - he likes her, so I tolerate her. But she's seriously weird. (She said to me "oh I don't make them do handwriting in school. It's not important, because they're the computer generation"  blink.gif I replied "well I bloody well DO think handwriting is important and I want my kids learning it!") I said to A as recently as yesterday "You are the only reason the kids are still enrolled here". DD has been put into a class with a teacher I do not like. The teacher is very good with advanced kids, but terrible with the average and struggling kids. DS didn't advance at ALL in the whole year he had her.

The school does not have a strong leadership team. Everything is up in the air. The principal said to me just a month ago "oh yes, A is staying", when I questioned her. And I know that A does want to stay. I don't know how they can let her go, when she got FOUR nominations for SSO of the year! They are just stupid! She is the best they've got. The rest are ok. Cooper won't work with them though.

The school I am going to go and beg is my nephews school and I have spent a lot of time there recently - I do talks about animal rescue and I did one there a month ago. It's a really good school, but I am not in their zone, hence me having to beg.

He does see Abby out of school - he adores her. I'm hoping her mum lets that continue, but she really likes Cooper, so I'm sure it won't be a problem. She's a lovely child and the school are sh*tty with her too. EVERY year she gets moved to a new class and away from her friends, which isn't fair for her. She's been put in the other 2-3 class, without ANY friends. And with the horrible teacher. her mum isn't happy either.

The reports and class allocations went out today, and the principal LOCKED her office doors and refused to see anyone and the office had to run interference!

#12 *Ker*

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:17 PM

I've got such a headache over this. I've been thinking about it all day. I spent the afternoon googling schools. Then I talked to DS and he went nuts. He knows the school, since his cousin went there, but he still wants to stay at school, because of Abby.

#13 Expelliarmus

Posted 13 December 2012 - 12:33 AM

I don't know how they can let her go, when she got FOUR nominations for SSO of the year!

Because most SSOs who are not administrative staff are casual workers and their contracts finish at the end of each year. It's pretty standard. The reason for this is that funding for student support is very fluid. It moves with the child, so the SSOs cannot be permanent to a school as the child might move so the funding goes with them. When students transition to high school is another factor.

Also sometimes an SSO is put on when a student is diagnosed because the funding becomes available but at the end of the year, the hours disappear even if the child is staying because the hours have to be allocated to permanent SSOs first. There are a few permanents who work with children. SO if Bobby was diagnosed with ASD in April and receives 3 hours a week support, the school engages an SSO because all of theirs are 'booked up' with the children already there. While Bobby is still there next year, Lucy is leaving for High School, so Bobby's SSO has no hours in the new year because the hours for Bobby will go to Lucy's 'old' SSO who is permanent.

If the school has a number of students with disabilities going to high school, accepting placements in special classes or simply moving schools, it is not unusual for SSOs working with other children to not have their hours renewed.

In many ways it's not the school deliberately being crap - it's a system out of their hands.

#14 *Ker*

Posted 13 December 2012 - 10:28 PM

I went and saw the other school. And the principal is sure he can accomodate me. He just needs to check with the teachers as to who are in the classes - to see where Coop would fit in best. Immy is not a problem - he has a place for her straight away. He's going to call me back once he has chatted to the teachers.

The kids and I talked. I can't just say to Coop "you're moving and that's it". He has done so well socially at school, and has come so far that I'm terrified of putting him back to where he was. I've been talking up the school, but have said that we will talk about it before I make the definite decision to transfer. I need to give him some power and some choice in this. However, if the kids really don't want to move, they get one more year at their current school. If things don't improve, then we're out.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Win $1000 with Sea-Bands!

Three lucky fans can win a Sea-Band prize pack valued at over $1000 each, which includes two Sea-Bands plus a $1000 Eftpos gift card!

Misery loves Facebook

Facebook users are often criticised for only showing the positive, fun parts of their lives. But what about when it swings the other way, when someone uses it for the purposes of ranting about their children all the time, never posting anything positive?

Toddler's adorable impersonation of pregnant mum

Little Ellis has noticed his mum is walking differently lately, and his impersonation of her is hilarious.

'Forgotten baby syndrome' can happen to any one of us

When my third child was two months old, I strapped her into her car seat, then promptly forgot all about her. But she survived, unharmed, because it was winter, and I was lucky.

Join the Real Mums Test Drive Team

Five mums or mums-to-be will join the EB Test Drive Team and discover great items at an exclusive Big W event. (Sydney only.)

Ten things I've learned about motherhood

Never take a good night's sleep for granted. There is no logic like toddler logic. Standing on Lego hurts every time. These are the truths of parenthood.

Parenting past the toddler years: what's next?

Your baby has grown into a toddler, and now your toddler is fast approaching the preschooler stage. What can you expect as a parent?

Tips on what to pack in your hospital bag

Before giving birth I read countless lists, ended up overpacking just a little, and now know what I'll actually want to pack next time.

New app keeps tabs on your kids at childcare

Popular new technology lets parents know what their children are up to at childcare - but not everyone is a fan.

21 things I love about newborns

There?s an irresistible magic about newborns. Of course they're not all smiles and rainbows, but they are undeniably cute and remarkable in so, so many ways.

Kid-friendly hairdressers: who says haircuts can?t be fun?

I?ve found some salons who boast setups ideal for children ? you name it, they?ve thought of it. All are designed to make haircuts fun rather than stressful.

Labour pain relief may reduce risk of postnatal depression: study

Postnatal depression is a complex condition, but researchers say pain relief during labour may help some women.

Why we need better support for men after miscarriage

In a recent study, 85 per cent of men admitted feeling sadness after their partner miscarried, but almost half said they didn't share their feelings at all. What can be done to help them?

Mum in business: Kristy Chong

Kristy Chong is the managing director of Australian-made Modibodi underwear and a mum to Lucas, 6, Jason, 4, and Isaac, 6 months. She shares her advice for other mums thinking about starting their own businesses.

From toddler to preschooler: a developmental roadmap

So your toddler is growing up and will soon be entering the preschooler years. Here are a few ways to frame their development that will help you understand what?s going in those beautiful, funny, clever little heads of theirs.

Mum sacrifices an eye for her unborn baby

Motherhood is full of sacrifices, but this woman has made a life-altering one - and her baby hasn't even been born.

A grandparent by any other name

A growing number of grandparents are shunning tradition and going against conventional names - but a grandparent by any other name still gives the same awesome cuddles and kisses.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

When labour just doesn't happen

After three healthy kids, I can?t help feeling I?ve been a little ripped off. I missed out on something I had always wanted to experience, and now I?ll never get the chance.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

Share the little things that make you smile

We're giving away a Mountain Buggy nano, the ultimate travel stroller - and here are some of the great entries so far.

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

Win $1000 with Sea-Bands!

Three lucky fans can win a Sea-Band prize pack valued at over $1000 each, which includes two Sea-Bands plus a $1000 Eftpos gift card!

The beautiful moment a baby was born at the side of a road

It's not where she expected to give birth, but mum Corrine Cinatl is delighted that her daughter's roadside arrival was captured in a series of beautiful photos.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

Join the Real Mums Test Drive Team

Five mums or mums-to-be will join the EB Test Drive Team and discover great items at an exclusive Big W event. (Sydney only.)

The Nappy Collective starts new drive

It's that time of year when the dedicated volunteers at The Nappy Collective do their bit to help out mums and children in need - and they need your help.

Baby shower cake wrecks

From misshapen cake babies to questionable text, from odd colour choices to internal organ recreation, these are the baby shower cakes that taste forgot.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

Pregnancy progression photo ideas

Want to record your pregnancy as your belly grows? Here are some creative, fun ideas for photo shoots along the way.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Tin can craft and DIY ideas

Got a few old formula, Milo or coffee cans around the house? Use these fantastic upcycling ideas to create items for around the house and yard.

Dads meet their newborn for the first time

Emotional photos of two fathers meeting their newborn son have resonated with viewers worldwide, attracting thousands of Facebook likes and shares.

Skin safety isn't just a summer worry

Lax about the slip slop slap with your kids as weather turns cooler? Here's a reminder as to why we have to remain vigilant for our children?s future health.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Creative sleeping baby photoshoots

See how some parents and photographers have captured sleeping babies in unusual positions and using different props.

DIY kitchen and food hacks

DIY your way to a better kitchen and make cooking easier with our clever hacks. (Some content reproduced with permission from mashable.com.)

Winter warmers for babies and toddlers

Your baby or toddler will be nice and snug in these beautiful and fun winter pieces. Most are hand-made or knitted, and they're all designed to keep your little one toastie - and adorable!

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.