would you let your child go on a long drive with someone else driving?

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#1 imamumto3

Posted 12 December 2012 - 01:10 PM

ds has been invited to a birthday party which is being held at a fun park about 3 hours drive away.

i know the mother well but have never met the father.  the mother had said that they will drive ds to the party.  the problem is the father will be driving.  I know he has been caught for speeding several times and now drives a sports car.

I told dh that I don't feel comfortable with ds driving with the father and would rather drive him ourselves, especially because it is such a long way.   dh thinks I'm crazy and should just let them drive him.  WDYT, I'm I being over protective?

#2 R2B2

Posted 12 December 2012 - 01:13 PM

If you don't feel comfortable with the situation, don't send your DS.
if I felt unsure, i'd politely decline and take him myself, or offer to take their child along instead wink.gif

Edited by R2B2, 12 December 2012 - 01:13 PM.

#3 ThatsNotMyName

Posted 12 December 2012 - 01:14 PM

I would be very uneasy about that. It may be perfectly fine but without knowing the individual I wouldn't be able to be comfortable about it & would find a way to take him myself.

#4 seayork2002

Posted 12 December 2012 - 01:15 PM

Whats is the difference between a long and short drive? the child is still in a car in a car seat

#5 Bel Rowley

Posted 12 December 2012 - 01:17 PM

I can think of all sorts of people I would trust to drive my kids, but if you don't trust this guy, that's enough reason to say no.

#6 bearmum

Posted 12 December 2012 - 01:20 PM

I have a very VERY limited group of people I would allow to drive my children. It is nice of that family to offer your child a lift but I would politely decline somehow and drive him myself. There is zero chance I would let my son go in someone else's car in that circumstance.

But my DH and his family think me and my family are uptight original.gif

#7 zingy

Posted 12 December 2012 - 01:26 PM

I wouldn't be OK with this.

Always listen to your gut.

#8 Old Grey Mare

Posted 12 December 2012 - 01:30 PM

The deciding factor for me would be to trust your instincts. If you do not feel comfortable then, as others have said,politely decline and drive him yourself.

#9 jill1972

Posted 12 December 2012 - 01:42 PM

No I'd be freaking out all day till he got safely home.  Some people are quite ok about this sort of stuff, but I'm not one of them.

#10 HurryUpAlready

Posted 12 December 2012 - 01:49 PM

Trust your gut and drive him yourself.

Years ago, a mother my family knows trusted her gut and chose not to let her child travel in the car of a friend when both families were holidaying together. That decision most likely saved her child's life. The family of 4 in the other car died in a horrific car accident.

It was so sad, but there could have been 5 dead that day if it wasn't for that mum listening to her gut.

I'm listening to my gut at the moment on another issue. A new friend of my husband has had us over to his home (with his wife) a couple of times for a meal. He is a very nice man and his Thai wife (who couldn't have children of her own) just loves our 10 month old to bits.

They have repeatedly offered to mind DD (they know we have no family to help), but there is just *something* about the guy that has my mummy instincts on high alert and consequently, I'll never leave DD with them. I have absolutely no basis to think anything negative about this man, he does seem very nice & generous. Maybe he seems to like DD a but too much for a 50
year old man and that just seemed a bit "off" to me (I'd never let him know I think this way - he might be a genuinely nice guy who loves kids).

I don't know, but it's just another example of a gut instinct that sometimes we can't explain, but I think we should listen to.

#11 Jembo

Posted 12 December 2012 - 01:58 PM

Family no problems, someone I did not know well - no.

#12 seayork2002

Posted 12 December 2012 - 02:03 PM

Why are your families driving better/safer than other people's?

QUOTE (Jembo @ 12/12/2012, 02:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

#13 SeaPrincess

Posted 12 December 2012 - 02:06 PM

QUOTE (Bel Rowley @ 12/12/2012, 11:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I can think of all sorts of people I would trust to drive my kids, but if you don't trust this guy, that's enough reason to say no.

This. It doesn't matter if the drive is short/long, the person is family/not - if I trust them to drive with my children, fine. If I don't trust them, then they don't drive my children.

#14 jill1972

Posted 12 December 2012 - 02:08 PM

QUOTE (Jembo @ 12/12/2012, 01:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This made me giggle to myself as there isn't one family member of mine who's driving makes me feel safe!

#15 Ireckon

Posted 12 December 2012 - 02:09 PM

My brother had a fair few driving related fines when he was younger. He is now 31, and I have let him take my DS on a 7 hr drive. I think he got all the stupid out of the way early on, and is very responsible now.

Having said that, if I thought he was still driving like he used to, I would say thanks but no thanks. If you are not comfortable with this man driving your child, then perhaps tie the trip in with a lovely day trip you and DH have been waiting for AGES to take.

#16 roses99

Posted 12 December 2012 - 02:13 PM

No, I wouldn't do it.

Trust your instincts.

Aside from anything else, driving a bunch of excitable kids can be pretty distracting.

#17 zande

Posted 12 December 2012 - 02:19 PM

Why are your families driving better/safer than other people's?

They may not be necessarily, but at least I know my family's driving abilities. This is one area I am uptight about. My DD2 has never been in a car not driven by myself or my DH except for my mum, and then it's only short distances.

DD1 (9yo) I am slowly getting used to her being in other people's cars but it's generally only locally and short distances, and I still don't like it.

I know other people don't take car safety anywhere near as seriously as me, so I don't like other people driving my girls.

#18 Starrydawn

Posted 12 December 2012 - 02:20 PM

I would. I use to get driven by lots of people. An accident can happen when your backing out your own driveway.

Many people have speeding fines at some stage. If ou don't want too drive him yourself. But hey you could have an accident and this guy makes it safely.

#19 Hattie

Posted 12 December 2012 - 02:21 PM

No, I wouldn't. My DS has only ever been in a car driven by me, DH, my brother and my best mate. And that will remain the case for the forseeable future, mainly because I am the neurotic mother of a very precious only child and I have issues with the way lots of people drive, including family members snd friends.

Cheers,
Julie

#20 Mummytoyou

Posted 12 December 2012 - 02:24 PM

Wouldn't be worth the stress to me, if knew were going to worry for the whole day. Why don't you take him?

#21 YodaTheWrinkledOne

Posted 12 December 2012 - 02:27 PM

QUOTE (imamumto3 @ 12/12/2012, 01:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ds has been invited to a birthday party which is being held at a fun park about 3 hours drive away.

i know the mother well but have never met the father.  the mother had said that they will drive ds to the party.  the problem is the father will be driving. I know he has been caught for speeding several times and now drives a sports car.

I told dh that I don't feel comfortable with ds driving with the father and would rather drive him ourselves, especially because it is such a long way.   dh thinks I'm crazy and should just let them drive him.  WDYT, I'm I being over protective?

the sports car thing wouldn't register with me, but the speeding fines would probably raise a flag.  If I knew this, I'd probably volunteer to drive my own child.  A day out for everyone.  But that is a long drive for a kids birthday party!

HOWEVER, chances that most people know the exact driving histories for the parents of their children's friends is probably low.  If I didn't know otherwise and for all intents and purposes the parents had always displayed safe and responsible actions around their own children and mine and my child felt safe and comfortable with them, then I'd probably say yes without thinking much about it. I assume we're talking older kids here?

#22 steppy

Posted 12 December 2012 - 02:31 PM

Yes I would, but then, the kid's own mother was such a terrible driver that it was hard to imagine anyone being more dangerous.

#23 imamumto3

Posted 12 December 2012 - 02:33 PM

QUOTE (YodaTheWrinkledOne @ 12/12/2012, 03:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
the sports car thing wouldn't register with me, but the speeding fines would probably raise a flag.  If I knew this, I'd probably volunteer to drive my own child.  A day out for everyone.  But that is a long drive for a kids birthday party!

HOWEVER, chances that most people know the exact driving histories for the parents of their children's friends is probably low.  If I didn't know otherwise and for all intents and purposes the parents had always displayed safe and responsible actions around their own children and mine and my child felt safe and comfortable with them, then I'd probably say yes without thinking much about it. I assume we're talking older kids here?

ds is 7

#24 agnodice

Posted 12 December 2012 - 02:33 PM

QUOTE (HurryUpAlready @ 12/12/2012, 02:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Trust your gut and drive him yourself.

Years ago, a mother my family knows trusted her gut and chose not to let her child travel in the car of a friend when both families were holidaying together. That decision most likely saved her child's life. The family of 4 in the other car died in a horrific car accident.

It was so sad, but there could have been 5 dead that day if it wasn't for that mum listening to her gut.

I'm listening to my gut at the moment on another issue. A new friend of my husband has had us over to his home (with his wife) a couple of times for a meal. He is a very nice man and his Thai wife (who couldn't have children of her own) just loves our 10 month old to bits.

They have repeatedly offered to mind DD (they know we have no family to help), but there is just *something* about the guy that has my mummy instincts on high alert and consequently, I'll never leave DD with them. I have absolutely no basis to think anything negative about this man, he does seem very nice & generous. Maybe he seems to like DD a but too much for a 50
year old man and that just seemed a bit "off" to me (I'd never let him know I think this way - he might be a genuinely nice guy who loves kids).

I don't know, but it's just another example of a gut instinct that sometimes we can't explain, but I think we should listen to.

Now here is a load of offensive baloney.

Lets be clear that freak accidents can happen to anyone. And not many men are paedophiles.

QUOTE (Chedasha @ 12/12/2012, 03:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I would. I use to get driven by lots of people. An accident can happen when your backing out your own driveway.

Many people have speeding fines at some stage. If ou don't want too drive him yourself. But hey you could have an accident and this guy makes it safely.

This.

OP, how old is your son? I'd be more concerned about how this family will manage a large group at a theme park than the drive.

Everyone gets speeding fines. I have gotten four, all for doing 64 in a 60 zone. i'm not excusing my behaviour, and i do think 'wipe off five' is important, but there's a big difference between being 4 over the linit and 50 over the limit.

And sports cars are an indicator of wealth, not driving ability.

Lets be clear that this issue is about what YOU are comfortable with, not necessarily the objective safety of the situation.

#25 YodaTheWrinkledOne

Posted 12 December 2012 - 02:37 PM

QUOTE (MsN @ 12/12/2012, 02:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'd be more concerned about how this family will manage a large group at a theme park than the drive.

I agree that I'd be thinking more about that than the transport options.  For that reason alone, I'd ask the parents if they wanted an extra set of hands on the day, particularly with a bunch of excited 7yo boys.

Still think that is a long way for birthday party for a 7 yo.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Australia's top baby names of 2013

Essential Baby has compiled the data available from government records around the country to bring you the list of Australia's top baby names of 2013.

Sara James: fighting for my daughter

Sara James was a high-profile New York journalist, but it was her own daughter's story which raised the most questions.

Siblings and best of friends

I know we'll have some tense moments. I know there will be arguments. But I also know these two will always have this most beautiful bond.

In defence of mums on the phone

I know news stories always attract a range of opinions, and I know they're a place for people to have an anonymous dig in. However, I also know that this mum bashing has to stop.

Rescue dog Zoey and BFF Jasper star in adorable pics

Photographer, self-professed "crazy dog lady" and mum Grace Chon takes photos of rescue dog Zoey and her 10-month-old son Jasper together. The results are just too cute. See more on Instagram @thegracechon.

Pregnancy essentials for the second and third trimesters

So you're through the first trimester of pregnancy - congratulations! Here are some tips for getting through the next six months as comfortably and happily as possible.

Coles Easter eggs recalled due to presence of tree nuts

An allergic reaction has lead to the urgent recall of a variety of Coles brand Easter eggs.

The ultimate travel stroller: the Mountain Buggy nano

We tried the Mountain Buggy nano and give it an enthusiastic thumbs up. As the ultimate travel stroller, it's practical, has great features, and looks fab, too.

Why I love the small age gap between my kids

Six months after our son turned one, we welcomed son number two into our lives. Yes, the small age gap had been planned - and there are things I love and hate about that small gap.

Parents warned about posting kids' photos online

Parents could be putting their kids at risk by posting images and information online which give away personal details, such as where they go to school and which parks they frequent.

Easter gifts for babies, no chocolate in sight!

If this is your little one?s first Easter you might want to mark the occasion with something a little extra special. Here are 10 Easter gift ideas, which won't harm little teeth.

Mum's the word when it comes to baby news

The arrival of a baby is big news, but friends and family need to understand it is not their news to share.

What?s in your parenting toolbox?

So often as parents, we don?t really talk about our ?parenting toolboxes?. But you need to be aware of what you and your partner are working with, and to decide what does and doesn't fit in your lives.

Classroom pregnancy prank goes viral

An American college professor has had to rethink his strict rule about answering cell phones in class after being the victim of an April Fools' prank that has gone viral.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win the brand new phil&teds vibe

Check out the good looking new release of the Vibe 3 and the Verve 4-wheeler inline strollers. To celebrate their release, we have a Vibe with double kit to give away.

Baby sleep

From birth to one year and beyond, read about baby sleep, soothing techniques, routines, and sleep school experiences.

Australia's top baby names of 2013

Essential Baby has compiled the data available from government records around the country to bring you the list of Australia's top baby names of 2013.

Video: Dad turns son into action movie hero

Many kids would love to be an action movie hero in real life, but very few will ever be able to see themselves in movies like these.

Toilet training in winter

There?s no need to stop thinking about toilet training just because the temperature is dropping: winter is a good a time as any to start the process.

What do you do all day?

It's the question all new mothers dread. For Kate Fridkis, it's a question that strikes to the heart of what it is to be a woman.

Easter gifts for babies, no chocolate in sight!

If this is your little one?s first Easter you might want to mark the occasion with something a little extra special. Here are 10 Easter gift ideas, which won't harm little teeth.

Video: Baby starts his day with a dance party

Few people start their day the same way this little guy does ? dancing, smiling, and generally having an awesome time.

IKEA announces bed canopy recall

IKEA has recalled its range of bed canopies designed to suspend above children?s beds following reported cases of injuries and entanglement.

Free Printable Activities

Keeping little hands busy

Free printable acitivity pages like colouring in, cutting, word finders, mazes, maths activities and puzzles.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.