School Camp
How much is too much?

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#1 Halcyon~

Posted 12 December 2012 - 11:48 AM

We just got a note home about camp for next year.  The total cost for the camp is $380.  

The camp is for 10/11 year olds and is for the school week (leave mon and arrive back fri)

I am just wondering if anyone else thinks that this is excessive or am i a little delusional re costs?

#2 Frockme

Posted 12 December 2012 - 11:49 AM

Doesn't seem to bad for 5 days, 4 nights. What will they be doing? How far are they going?

#3 Baggy

Posted 12 December 2012 - 11:51 AM

I guess it would depend on where the camp is? What sort of accommodation they'll be staying in? What they will be doing?

I remember my school camps costing around the same or sometimes more, depending on what we were doing.

Edited by Baggy, 12 December 2012 - 11:51 AM.

#4 ~THE~MAGICIAN~

Posted 12 December 2012 - 11:53 AM

Our Yr 6/7 camp this year was 4 night and 5 days (left early Tues, home late Fri night)Cost $280.

#5 Samistar

Posted 12 December 2012 - 11:54 AM

DS1 went to a week long camp this year ( in year 5 ) the cost was $300. So I would say its fairly standard. Next year he goes to Canberra for 3 days and the cost is also $300.

#6 CountryBumpkin

Posted 12 December 2012 - 11:55 AM

My kids aren't at that stage yet, but holy crap, $380?!

#7 Halcyon~

Posted 12 December 2012 - 11:56 AM

It is cabin style accommodation but take all your own bedding.

It is about an hour away by bus and food and activities are included in the price

#8 Halcyon~

Posted 12 December 2012 - 11:58 AM

QUOTE (CountryBumpkin @ 12/12/2012, 12:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My kids aren't at that stage yet, but holy crap, $380?!

We have never had to pay for a camp before so I had a similar reaction to yourself.

Also it is a govt school, and I would be surprised if that amount of money was affordable to all parents.

#9 BadCat

Posted 12 December 2012 - 12:11 PM

For a whole week?  Cheap as chips.

Ours is 2 nights for $310.

#10 missjoads1234

Posted 12 December 2012 - 12:15 PM

It is cabin style accommodation but take all your own bedding.

It is about an hour away by bus and food and activities are included in the price

originally i was like  ohmy.gif but now you mention it i think its reasonable.

#11 weepingangel

Posted 12 December 2012 - 12:16 PM

I'd say its pretty standard for a camp of that duration.

We've paid similar for our DD's when they were in primary school.

#12 MGB

Posted 12 December 2012 - 12:17 PM

I think for a week away with all meals, activities and travel it sounds reasonable.

#13 LynnyP

Posted 12 December 2012 - 12:19 PM

That would be just cost recovery.

#14 Overtherainbow

Posted 12 December 2012 - 12:21 PM

It sounds about right to me.  Is there fundraising to reduce the costs?  Remember you will also have camping purchases to factor into the cost like sleeping bag, some clothing, etc.

I'd encourage my child to self fundraiser over holidays.  Establish an amount you would like them to contribute to costs and look at ways to raise it.  Walking friend's pets, weeding neighbours garden, collecting mail for those who are away and doing chores they don't normally do (I know this still comes out of household budget but they earn it).

#15 MsNorbury

Posted 12 December 2012 - 12:23 PM

Seems OK.  The school would be trying to keep costs down as we dont like to exclude students based on it being too expensive, but it is hard.

I am a high school teacher and we do a one night two day camp and it is a struggle to keep the cost under $150.

#16 Halcyon~

Posted 12 December 2012 - 12:28 PM

I guess the cost is what it is and by the sounds of it, it is fairly standard.  

I still feel a little put out by having to find that cash somewhere but what can you do if it is the going rate original.gif

#17 ~She~

Posted 12 December 2012 - 12:30 PM

Doesn't seem a lot to me tbh. Accommodation, food, travel, activities, etc for a whole week would add up.

At DS's school the first camp they go on is to Canberra for 3 nights for $500, although he's only in Year 1 yet so we have a while to prepare for it

#18 sparassidae

Posted 12 December 2012 - 12:31 PM

I can't remember offhand what ours have cost but for a full week that seems standard or even a bit cheaper.

#19 Halcyon~

Posted 12 December 2012 - 12:32 PM

QUOTE (~She~ @ 12/12/2012, 01:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Doesn't seem a lot to me tbh. Accommodation, food, travel, activities, etc for a whole week would add up.

At DS's school the first camp they go on is to Canberra for 3 nights for $500, although he's only in Year 1 yet so we have a while to prepare for it

Wow $500.  

I am definitely out of touch re costs of children s camps.

#20 boatiebabe

Posted 12 December 2012 - 12:35 PM

DD (8) just went on a two day one night camp and cost was $130. She had a blast!

So $380 for five days and four nights seems reasonable.

#21 Coffeegirl

Posted 12 December 2012 - 12:45 PM

Year 6 camp to Canberra and Skiing at Threadbo  $600.

2 nights away - 3 really long days.  Cabin style accommodation.   Included all food, ski hire and ski pass (pass is $80-90 a day), ski clothing, entrance to all the Canberra exhibits, bus.

No fundraising for this trip - but we could pay it off in installments.

#22 somila

Posted 12 December 2012 - 12:49 PM

I think our Canberra trip was closer to $1000?  Airfare and accommodation included (from Brisbane).  Our son didn't go so I may be "misremembering".

That is fine for a four-night camp, OP.

#23 Chchgirl

Posted 12 December 2012 - 01:14 PM

Ours was $280.00 for two days to Canberra, for year 5 nsw(my daughter is 11 )..this is a public school and the camp was november, we had notice in March and had till then to pay it off.

I think for 5 days that is good.

#24 i-candi

Posted 12 December 2012 - 01:20 PM

Our school had three camps in year 6 (last year of primary). One was nearly $400 and that was for the full week, the other was a few hundred and that was overnight to Canberra and the other they scrapped the year my DS was in year six much to his disgust. The parents were a bit upset at there being 3 camps in one year.

I think $380 for a full week camp is cheap. Break it up into daily food, accommodation and activities that are fully supervised.

#25 Lazycow

Posted 12 December 2012 - 01:26 PM

DS1 camp is going to cost $250 for 3 days and 2 nights, all food, accommodation, travel and activities are included in the price.

So I think it is a reasonable price for a week.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

A mum's tragic battle against inflammatory breast cancer

At just 37 years of age, with two young sons, Vicki was diagnosed with inflammatory breast cancer. Now her family wants all women to know the symptoms.

The business of babies around the world

Pregnancy and birth is an intriguing process no matter where you are in the world. One soon-to-be father gleans wisdom from a new guide.

Finding a positive path through IVF

It’s not surprising that IVF is often seen as a negative journey towards the ultimate positive, but having a glass-half-full approach can make a big difference to the experience.

Giving strangers the gift of parenthood

A mum explains why she and her husband are choosing to gift their leftover embryos to help strangers achieve their dream of parenthood.

Does morning sickness get better or worse with each child?

Just as every baby is unique, so is every pregnancy. And that means morning sickness can vary a lot, too.

What's so wrong with looking 'mumsy', anyway?

Why is it that the word ‘mumsy’ has connotations of such a negative nature – but seems to be the only other option apart from ‘yummy’?

Trying to speed up the inevitable

As the waiting game of late pregnancy continues, this mum considers a few things that might hurry things up a little.

One month later: where is William Tyrell?

It has been a little over a month since William Tyrell disappeared from his grandmother's home, 33 long sleepless nights for his family as they mourn the absence of their cheeky young boy.

Winter's child less likely to be moody: study

Babies born in the summer are much more likely to suffer from mood swings when they grow up, while those born in the winter are less likely to become irritable adults, scientists claim.

Single mum of two creates award-winning baby app

Suddenly single with a baby and an 11-year-old son, Tara O?Connell developed an app to improve the lives of mothers who were similarly overwhelmed.

Food for thought: looking after yourself as a new mum

As soon as your baby enters the world, everything else takes a back seat - even the necessities of daily life such as eating are severely compromised, right when you need energy the most.

'Grabbable guts' campaign aims to cut toxic fat

The Live Lighter campaign will take people inside the human body to show the internal dangers of being overweight.

The best and worst month of my life

A new mum's first month of motherhood didn't pan out as expected when she lost a family member weeks after her baby's birth.

Facebook and Apple offer to pay female staff to freeze their eggs

Facebook and Apple are hoping to provide women with the freedom to build their careers without the added pressure of having children at or by a certain age.

How a pregnancy contract could work for you and your partner

The idea of making a 'pregnancy contract' with your partner may sound a bit silly at first, but it can help make the transition to parenthood a lot smoother.

Finding a mum-friendly personal trainer

Burping babies vs burpees – yes, new mums and personal trainers live in different worlds. But they can work together - once you find the right match for you and your lifestyle.

Alleged baby snatch incident a ?misunderstanding?, say police

Police say that an incident in which a man pulled on a woman?s pram while walking a popular Sydney route late last month was a misunderstanding.

Ebola killed my aunt and is shutting down my country

Three weeks ago, my auntie, a midwife, developed a fever. Sitting here in Sydney basked in Australian sunshine, that shouldn't be big news.

The night my ovary burst

One mum shares her frightening experience and vows to never take her health for granted again.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

The 'yucky' illness that took over my life

I have a chronic illness nobody likes to discuss, as it involves toilet talk. But it needs to be talked about.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.