First Aid Officer or School Nurse

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Rachaelxxx

Posted 12 December 2012 - 10:08 AM

Does your primary school have a first aid officer in charge of the sick bay or does your school have a school nurse.  For those that only have a first aid officer, would you prefer a school nurse or are you happy with the duty of care the kids are receiving.

I'm also curious to ask that if your child was sent home from school because he/she said they were feeling really unwell and then you got them home and they seemed fine, would you be mad at the school for a misdiagnoses or more upset with your child for playing up his/her symptoms.

Edited by Rachaelxxx, 12 December 2012 - 10:11 AM.

#2 Mianta

Posted 12 December 2012 - 10:21 AM

Well, I am pretty sure my children's school only has first aid officers, who are also the office staff. As long as there is someone trained in first aid on site, I am really not bothered if they are a nurse or not.

As for the "misdiagnosis" issue, well nurses can't diagnose illnesses either. So, if your child managed to pull the wool over their eyes, then it is the issue with the child not the staff. My children have been in trouble when they pretended to be sick, forced the school staff to call us, meaning we had to leave our jobs early, only to get the child home and find that they are fine. What are staff meant to do if a child comes up to them and say they have had diarrheoa (which is what my children have used as an excuse)?

Edited by Mianta, 12 December 2012 - 10:21 AM.

#3 Gloriana

Posted 12 December 2012 - 10:37 AM

my children's school only has first aid officers, who are also the office staff.

Same.

I used to get out of High school all the time. We had a nurse and I just said I felt unwell and she always said Yes you look pale (Hmm yeah I am a red head and have fair skin).
A nurse can't always tell if a child is lying. Same if you go to the ER looking for drugs I guess.

#4 Rachaelxxx

Posted 12 December 2012 - 10:46 AM

Thanks guys, I'm just curious to know because our school is the same, our office staff are trained in first aid and look after the sick kids and there are a few mums complaining, almost demanding a school nurse because they feel there have been a few instances when parents have been rung to come and collect sick kids, that have turned out to be fine.

#5 Overtherainbow

Posted 12 December 2012 - 10:48 AM

I'd be upset with the child but would be working out why hey wanted to wag.  We're they dealing with a friendship/bullying issue, nervous about a test, hadn't finished homework, feeling too tired, just didn't want to be there.

If a child lies, it's not the school's fault.  It's the child's fault.

After a chat to make sure nothing else is happening, I'd send them to bed with a book to spend the rest of day in bed.  No tv, computers or playing, just rest.  If there was something else going on we'd deal with that.

#6 Floral Arrangement

Posted 12 December 2012 - 10:53 AM

Being trained in first aid myself I am more than happy that we have first aid trained staff. I see no need for a school nurse, what could she actually do better anyway if a kid needs secondary medical attention or needs to go home how would the Nurse's procedure be any different to a first aid officer? It's not like the nurse will undertake medical procedures at the school ie stitches

#7 Julie3Girls

Posted 12 December 2012 - 11:03 AM

If a child comes in saying they are feeling sick in the tummy, they want to throw up, how would a school nurse be any more likely be able to tell if the child is faking?

At our school, it is simply the office staff. Who I assume are first aide trained. I find the staff are pretty good. Our school is reasonable small, and the office staff tend to get to know the kids. If they are having a run of "illness" with a particular child, they will chat on the phone to the parent and work out the best course of action.

If the parents are finding their kids are going home sick and fine as soon as they get home, they need to work on this with their kids, not blame the staff.

I can just imagine what would happen if a child complaining of a sore tummy was kept at school because the staff thought she was faking, and then proceeded to throw up everywhere "Why didn't you ring me when my child said she was feeling sick?"

#8 Soontobegran

Posted 12 December 2012 - 11:09 AM

QUOTE (Rachaelxxx @ 12/12/2012, 11:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks guys, I'm just curious to know because our school is the same, our office staff are trained in first aid and look after the sick kids and there are a few mums complaining, almost demanding a school nurse because they feel there have been a few instances when parents have been rung to come and collect sick kids, that have turned out to be fine.

I don't think it would make any difference whether it was a nurse or First aid attendant to be honest.The nurse still has a duty of care to act on what the child is complaining about even if she thinks she is being fooled. It is just too dangerous to decide a child is faking it. If your friends want a school nurse they'll have to be prepared that some program's the school runs will be cut and fees will go up to pay her/his wage.

#9 Carmen02

Posted 12 December 2012 - 11:09 AM

our school have first aid officers mostly office staff or aide staff that do it. More then happy with them! Especially when DS hurt his wrist badly at school and putting up with my DD who does everything in her books to try get out of school, they make them sit with a cup of water and watch them for 10 mins and if nothing happens they go back to class being watched. school nurses arent needed in my opinon

#10 IsolaBella

Posted 12 December 2012 - 12:54 PM

First aid officers and happy with that too.

As for kids faking illness... I would be talking to my kids.

#11 i-candi

Posted 12 December 2012 - 01:05 PM

First aid trained here, all office staff and support staff have their first aid certificate.

At DS high school last year there was a nurse at the school 24 hours a day (it was a day/boarding school), she was really good. DS has terrible airborne allergies and he really suffered at his new high school. She would administer medication and knew what to give him.

That nurse must have left because we kept getting called to pick up DS due to his allergies - swollen eyes, hives etc when all he really needed was his medication . DS said the guy in charge was a Brother (priest) so I suppose they were saving money employing a Brother rather than a registered nurse.

At DS new school there is only first aid trained staff and I've had to fill out form after form with photos and procedures to administer his medication. Meh as long as he gets the medication and is able to stay at school. I don't care who gives it to him.

#12 Justaduck

Posted 12 December 2012 - 01:12 PM

It was the 90s and all...but when I was in grade 6, the school nurse let me and a friend take over on lunch breaks and we manned the first aid room.

I'd be happy with first aid trained. I think my private high school only had first aid trained. They were mainly the admin ladies who were in the sick bay anyway. They never denied me going home though Tounge1.gif

#13 Georgie01

Posted 12 December 2012 - 01:20 PM

We do have a school nurse (paid for by an extra voluntary levy). Kids still get sent home if they say they feel sick/unwell, I don't imagine it's any different to having a first aid officer look at them (I don't have a problem with this). What the nurse is great for is helping manage chronic problems and providing extra support to children with special needs.

#14 José

Posted 12 December 2012 - 01:51 PM

As pp have said I doubt even a nurse would accuse a child of faking it. The consequences could be significant for the possibly sick child for the nurses job. In today's world of litigation even a nurse would have to ere on the side of caution.

#15 Zesty

Posted 12 December 2012 - 02:00 PM

Our school has a first aid officer available at all times. There are several members of staff who are on duty for this. I don't think it is necessary for their to be a nurse.

As STBG stated, regardless if you think a child is bunging it on, you need to act on the symptoms they are telling you about. Imagine they outcry if the same child was in fact ill and you kept them at school. Perhaps it is inconvenient for the parent, however hopefully it will lead to a discussion as to why they are wanting to get out of school if they aren't genuinely sick.

I will say that I was amused with the method my daughters teacher employs. If she is suspicious regarding the validity of the illness claim, she will make them sit holding a bucket. She  said that within 5 minutes those that aren't genuinely sick usually feel a whole heap better and want to participate with class again. Those that are still complaining are sent to sick bay.

#16 Shellby

Posted 12 December 2012 - 03:53 PM

I'm also curious to ask that if your child was sent home from school because he/she said they were feeling really unwell and then you got them home and they seemed fine, would you be mad at the school for a misdiagnoses or more upset with your child for playing up his/her symptoms.

We don't even have a sick bay, they basically call you if the child tells them they feel sick. Well I finally had it this week as every Monday (as its my only day off during the week) my eldest would complain his tummy hurts. This time I told the school I wasn't picking him up as 10 minutes later he was happy as anything and fine - he just wanted to come home and knew I was home that day. By the time school ended he was running out of school asking to go to his mates house and felt fine.

I am upset at my son, but also kinda upset that his teacher hadn't picked up this happened every monday for the last 4 weeks. I understand one offs, but every Monday.

#17 Expelliarmus

Posted 12 December 2012 - 05:59 PM

Schools don't diagnose, so how could there be a misdiagnosis?

FWIW you have to err on the side of caution - if the child is complaining then you have no other course than to ring the parent. Frequently children are asked to have a drink/go to the toilet/eat something/rest for a while because that will weed out the fakers from the truly unwell. If they can keep up the act, what else is a responsible adult supposed to do?

A school nurse won't change the policies about ringing parents in the event of illness.

#18 Ritaroo

Posted 12 December 2012 - 06:09 PM

QUOTE (Zesty @ 12/12/2012, 02:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I will say that I was amused with the method my daughters teacher employs. If she is suspicious regarding the validity of the illness claim, she will make them sit holding a bucket. She  said that within 5 minutes those that aren't genuinely sick usually feel a whole heap better and want to participate with class again. Those that are still complaining are sent to sick bay.

Hahaha that's gold. I usually tell my class they are not going anywhere until I see either blood or vomit. That normally sorts them out. There is one girl in my girl who is a bit of a drama queen and whenever they have a fill in teacher, she is always sick and they send her to the office without any questions. All she gets from me is an unsympathetic "you'll be right, get on with your work".

#19 LynnyP

Posted 12 December 2012 - 07:03 PM

My daughter school has an RN on duty during the school day.  There is a proper sick bay with beds and cubicles and everything.  However she doesn't have an endoscopy suite!  If a child is faking it and is willing to put in the effort and time, she rings the parents.  She usually lets them have a lie down for 30 minutes and offers mylanta etc first.  All the staff have senior first aid certificates.  I am sure kids get sent home who are well all the time!

#20 emnut

Posted 12 December 2012 - 07:11 PM

most staff (both office & teachers) take it in turns of being first aid officer at DS's school.  Only time I've really had a problem is when he was sent home on Monday after what was really a pretty run of the mill fall causing minor grazes on one knee & elbow & a bit of red on his nose (not enough to break the skin there though).

#21 Lyn29

Posted 12 December 2012 - 10:05 PM

QUOTE (Shellby @ 12/12/2012, 04:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am upset at my son, but also kinda upset that his teacher hadn't picked up this happened every monday for the last 4 weeks. I understand one offs, but every Monday.

Didn't you pick it up? I assume you have less than the 27 kids the teacher has keep an eye on. You'd have been better off warning your son that Monday morning that, after 3 pick ups, you wouldn't be picking him up that day without broken bones or vomit.

My school has never had a nurse. All of our office staff and aides, plus about half of the teachers, are first aid trained though. It's pretty rare to have anything serious, and if there is, the ambulance station is across the road - they get there fast!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Share the little things that make you smile

We're giving away a Mountain Buggy nano, the ultimate travel stroller - and here are some of the great entries so far.

Toddler pleads for return of "stolen" nose

A two-year-old's reaction to a game of "got your nose" shows it doesn't take much to make a toddler cry.

The 15 photos new parents share (and five they don't)

From the first scan photo to the baby covered in cake at their first birthday party, there are 15 photos most parents seem to share - and some they don't.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

Breastfeeding friendly café goes viral

A photo of a breastfeeding-friendly sign in a cafe has been posted to Facebook and shared by hundreds of mums around the world.

First look at the Bugaboo Bee3

The newest Bugaboo Bee ? the Bee3 ? offers a variety of improved features, including a much asked-for bassinet and a rainbow of colour combinations.

Childcare costs, not paid leave, the real issue for parents

Given the choice between maintaining their wage for six months to have a child, or having a reduced rate of pay for a time but a better deal on childcare when returning to work, there are no odds on what most working parents would choose.

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

We lost three babies in two years

Our first pregnancy ended the way we all expected it to - with a healthy, happy baby in our arms. What a true blessing he was, for we were not to know the heartache we were about endure.

Family turned back from doomed flight MH17

'There must have been someone watching over us and saying, 'You must not get on that flight,' says mother who narrowly avoided boarding the Malaysian Airlines flight which exploded in mid-air over the Ukraine last night.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Adorable Skeanie loafers for kids

Your little toddler or preschooler can now get their nautical on with a new range of classic loafers by Australian show brand Skeanie.

My baby is hypermobile

For months, I have been telling myself not to worry that Jasmin isn't crawling or walking. This week I heard the term hypermobile for the first time.

When you don?t bond with your baby

They say that there is no bond greater than the bond between a mother and her child. But for some women, the mother-baby bond takes more time and effort to develop.

Yumi Stynes: Having a baby after a 10-year break

After a long break, Yumi Stynes gets a reminder of the pain - and the pleasure - of giving birth.

Grieving father asks for help to Photoshop his daughter's image

When Nathan Steffel's daughter Sophia died from a liver condition at just 6 weeks old, he reached out for someone to create a beautiful image of his little girl.

Raising kids in a 'low media' home

Can you imagine a life without TV or computers? Some parents are opting for a low-tech, screen-free life for their kids.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

The beautiful moment a baby was born at the side of a road

It's not where she expected to give birth, but mum Corrine Cinatl is delighted that her daughter's roadside arrival was captured in a series of beautiful photos.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

The Nappy Collective starts new drive

It's that time of year when the dedicated volunteers at The Nappy Collective do their bit to help out mums and children in need - and they need your help.

Baby shower cake wrecks

From misshapen cake babies to questionable text, from odd colour choices to internal organ recreation, these are the baby shower cakes that taste forgot.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

Pregnancy progression photo ideas

Want to record your pregnancy as your belly grows? Here are some creative, fun ideas for photo shoots along the way.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Tin can craft and DIY ideas

Got a few old formula, Milo or coffee cans around the house? Use these fantastic upcycling ideas to create items for around the house and yard.

Dads meet their newborn for the first time

Emotional photos of two fathers meeting their newborn son have resonated with viewers worldwide, attracting thousands of Facebook likes and shares.

Skin safety isn't just a summer worry

Lax about the slip slop slap with your kids as weather turns cooler? Here's a reminder as to why we have to remain vigilant for our children?s future health.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Creative sleeping baby photoshoots

See how some parents and photographers have captured sleeping babies in unusual positions and using different props.

DIY kitchen and food hacks

DIY your way to a better kitchen and make cooking easier with our clever hacks. (Some content reproduced with permission from mashable.com.)

Winter warmers for babies and toddlers

Your baby or toddler will be nice and snug in these beautiful and fun winter pieces. Most are hand-made or knitted, and they're all designed to keep your little one toastie - and adorable!

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.