James Ashby's sexual harassment case against former Speaker Peter Slipper thrown out of court

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Hayleymumof3

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:28 AM

JAMES Ashby's sexual harassment case against former Speaker Peter Slipper has been thrown out of court.

Judge Steven Rares this morning ordered that the application contains "scandalous" allegations and to continue the case would be "manifestly unfair" to Mr Slipper and that some of the claims were done to "injure" his reputation.

The former Speaker wanted the case, which was launched by Mr Ashby on April 20 this year, thrown out of court, saying it was an abuse of process designed to be "prejudicial" and "damaging" to him.

Mr Slipper did not have a lawyer represent him at a two-day hearing of the case in October but didn't come to the Federal Court in Sydney to hear this morning's decision.

It followed an unsuccessful day of mediation talks between the pair.

Mr Ashby has been ordered to pay Mr Slipper's legal cost.

http://www.news.com.au/national/james-ashb...t-1226535085206

#2 Lucrezia Borgia

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:34 AM

Huh. Well put that in your pipe and smoke it tony abbot et al....

.....(still, there is something a little bit odd about him [slipper])

#3 BetteBoop

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:36 AM

Wow. What the judge said indicates something very much like corruption. I won't hold my breath waiting for any follow up on that.

Does this mean Peter Slipper is free to assume the role of speaker again?

#4 Hayleymumof3

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:37 AM

..(still, there is something a little bit odd about him [slipper])

Oh I totally agree.  But I thought this case was crap from the start before talking to anyone else or filing a case he spoke to the OPPOSITION it stank of a Liberal mud slinging attack because he defected.

#5 Feral*Spikey*

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:42 AM

Very interesting.... I think the judge totally nailed it.

So, unless there is anything outstanding to do with the cabcharges (and I think that was long since sorted), there is nothing to stop the ex-speaker from returning to work.

(to clarify, he isn't the speaker, so he'd be returning to the cross bench as an independent) rolleyes.gif

Edited by *Spikey*, 12 December 2012 - 10:10 AM.

#6 Lucrezia Borgia

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:44 AM

QUOTE (hayleymumof3 @ 12/12/2012, 10:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oh I totally agree.  But I thought this case was crap from the start before talking to anyone else or filing a case he spoke to the OPPOSITION it stank of a Liberal mud slinging attack because he defected.

Totally...apparently Nicola Roxon has come out saying the opposition has "serious questions to answer" about the slipper case....ooooh! (Rubs hands in glee) things could get interesting.....and here I was thinking we were drifting into a patch of slow news days!

#7 Liv_DrSperm_sh

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:46 AM

no. freaking. way.

#8 Guest_3Keiki_*

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:51 AM

QUOTE (stopwhiningatme @ 12/12/2012, 10:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wasn't he the one who sent those vile texts describing womens genitalia in the most vile way & had to resign?  So, no.  Don't think so.

Shellfish? Really that is the most vile and disgusting description of female genitalia?? Really?

In poor taste maybe and also under the presumption of privacy it wasn't a public statement FGS.
If we used that as a criteria for a pollie to do their jobs Tony Abbott would have  to have resigned years ago for poor taste statements he made in public

#9 Feral*Spikey*

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:56 AM

It was said in a private conversation with James Ashby. It was also presented out of context. That being said, it was a fairly gross thing to say to anyone, even a 'friend'.

But as no other parliamentarian has lost their job for private utterances, of a gross and crude kind, nor should he.

#10 Gudrun

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:58 AM

He can't return to the speaker's job as he resigned and Anna Burke is now the speaker.

Good judgement!

#11 BetteBoop

Posted 12 December 2012 - 10:03 AM

QUOTE (stopwhiningatme @ 12/12/2012, 09:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I wish he would.

I don't think its too much to ask that our politicians don't behaive like dirty little schoolboys, do you?

It's too much to expect them to not be proud misogynists, totally corrupt or to use their power to further their own financial interests over the interests of the people who voted for them.

If we set the bar too high, we are bound to be disappointed.

#12 Feral*Spikey*

Posted 12 December 2012 - 10:09 AM

Stopwhining, you seem to be misinterpreting what I'm saying.

Peter Slipper resigned from the Speakers Position. Fact 1.

Peter Slipper did NOT resign from Parliament. Fact 2.

I'm saying that Peter Slipper should not lose his job (ie, parliamentary seat) as a result of private utterances - he's no longer the speaker and I'm well aware of that. I'm saying he should return to work. Probably on the cross benches, seeing he is an independent for now.

I understood from your earlier post that you consider Mr Slipper unwelcome in Parliament, as in 'he should lose his job', because its clear you understand that he is no longer the speaker and cannot resume that role (unless of course invited to do so).

And yes, I realised I left off an ex in one of my sentences in my earlier post. Will fix it for you.

#13 Mpjp is feral

Posted 12 December 2012 - 10:18 AM

QUOTE (3Keiki @ 12/12/2012, 10:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Shellfish? Really that is the most vile and disgusting description of female genitalia?? Really?

In poor taste maybe and also under the presumption of privacy it wasn't a public statement FGS.
If we used that as a criteria for a pollie to do their jobs Tony Abbott would have to have resigned years ago for poor taste statements he made in public

I know plenty of gay men that 'privately' describe female genitalia as worse things than that! Who cares?

#14 (feral)epg

Posted 12 December 2012 - 10:18 AM

Troy Buswell sniffed a womans chair in parliament.  He is now state treasurer.  Surely that is worse behavior.

#15 BetteBoop

Posted 12 December 2012 - 10:35 AM

QUOTE (stopwhiningatme @ 12/12/2012, 10:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Are they elected members?  Then no, I don't care.

For the record, I'd care if Julia Gillard and Penny Wong exchanged texts about Tony Abbot's  'cheesy smegma' or Barnaby Joyce's tiny d*ck.  Something tells me they wouldn't, though.  Or Julie Bishop for that matter.

No. And I wonder what the public reaction would be like if they did.

#16 Relish*

Posted 12 December 2012 - 10:44 AM

QUOTE (stopwhiningatme @ 12/12/2012, 08:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well, they'd just need a good root, wouldn't they?

Exactly. So glad to hear common bloody sense has prevailed, in this case, if only momentarily.

#17 Hayleymumof3

Posted 12 December 2012 - 10:49 AM

Better? Worse? Who knows. It's deplorable. It needs to be made public. It needs to be protested against. It's wrong.

My Bold it WAS made public http://www.news.com.au/top-stories/chair-s...9-1111116260465

The difference is he is a Liberal and Liberals don't get up in arms over things like this that THEIR PARTY members do.

#18 Feral_Pooks

Posted 12 December 2012 - 02:02 PM

Wow. So... Wait.

Slipper is a slimy guy, ok, there are a lot of them about. I don't think we can go calling for the beheading of every slime ball, we'd run out of politicians and lawyers and PE teachers. As exciting as hearing everyone get riled up about vulvas looking like shelled mussels IS, it's not really a blip on my "gee that's a worry radar" tbh. I've said worse things about c*ck and balls, that's for sure. Strange looking things that they are.

But what the hell? The allegations were bullsh*t and politically motivated?? So how deep does this go? Eek. Why aren't we talking about this?

Do you think they will investigate this? Will Slipper have recourse?

#19 Hayleymumof3

Posted 12 December 2012 - 02:25 PM

Do you think they will investigate this?

I don't think that the Labor party is going to let this go.  Will it be investigated I don't know but I am guessing it will be a lot like the UTAGATE scandal where someone will fall on their sword for the "good" of the party, and the Liberal's with dust their hands off and go "see we got rid of them".

Will Slipper have recourse?

He could always sue for deformation.

#20 BetteBoop

Posted 12 December 2012 - 02:35 PM

I just saw an interview with Ashby, talking about the outcome and how he intends to appeal.

He came across as sincere and seemed devastated. If it was an act, it was a bloody good one.

I'm now wondering, what did Ashby stand to gain by ousting Slipper?

#21 Hayleymumof3

Posted 12 December 2012 - 02:40 PM

Money, A place in the Liberal party, He was meeting with people who plan to run in Slippers seat at the next election before doing anything else.  He can appeal but I highly doubt it's going to go anywhere.

#22 Mootmoot

Posted 12 December 2012 - 02:48 PM

QUOTE (BetteBoop @ 12/12/2012, 03:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I just saw an interview with Ashby, talking about the outcome and how he intends to appeal.

He came across as sincere and seemed devastated. If it was an act, it was a bloody good one.

Thank goodness our legal system is based on evidence, rather than who looks the most upset or least slimey.

#23 (feral)epg

Posted 12 December 2012 - 03:03 PM

Sordid mess the whole thing.
FTR I think Slipper's a pretty revolting human being.
But manufacturing a sexual harassment case is also appalling. (James Ashby)
And providing assistance to do so for political reasons (Mal Brough) surely would render someone unfit for high office.

Wonder what the Liberal party will do?

#24 Relish*

Posted 12 December 2012 - 03:27 PM

Pardon my ignorance but does Ashby get to keep his money from his September settlement from the Commonwealth?  Feels like there is much more going on that hasn't been released yet (or ever!).

#25 happening

Posted 12 December 2012 - 03:38 PM

The entire cast are dishonest, dirty and tainted by ambition and greed.  It will take a very wide-ranging, cohesive and cogent argument for me to discount the possibility that an enormous amount of pressure was placed on Rares.

It reeks of politics

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Funny Father's Day cards

A little fun never goes astray when celebrating special occasions and Father's Day is no different. We've rounded up some funny Father's day cards for your husbands, fathers and other important men in your lives.

Electronic tags may keep newborns safe

The possibility of using electronic bracelets for mothers and their newborn babies is being investigated by Adelaide's Women's and Children's Hospital. 

Baby steps: when your little one starts walking

As a parent there are so many milestones to look forward to. That first smile, first word - and, of course, that first step.

Julia Watson's new book 'Breakfast, School Run, Chemo'

Tomorrow my friend Julia launches her first book. And while we're all overjoyed, the success is tinged with sadness. You see, Julia has stage 4 bowel cancer.

How not to name twins

Call me boring, but I don't think that when it comes to choosing my twins' names is the right time to use a good pun.

Fun Sunny Life pool inflatables just for babies

The babies of 2015 will thus be thrilled to paddle their happy baby legs in these brand new flamingo and swan baby inflatables.

Baby and bulldog born on the same day are best friends

When Chicago mum Ivette Ivens saw a French bulldog puppy who had the same birthdate as her son Dilan, she "just knew it?s meant to be" and took him home. Five months later, puppy Farley and Dilan are the best of friends - as Ivens says, "I?m pretty sure Dilan thinks they?re both the same species, as they walk at the same level and are both going through the stage of chewing on everything.?

Breastfeeding basics for beginners

Here are 10 tips to help make breastfeeding successful and stress free for both you and your baby as quickly as possible.

Girl smothers baby brother with peanut butter

This mum had a big clean up job on her hands.

How to hide those under eye shadows

Pandas are the only ones who benefit from under-eye shadows. If you're not fluffy and cute, you'll just look tired.

Young mum dies after being denied pap smear

A mother has died after she was denied a pap smear because she was deemed "too young" to need it.

Birthday cakes banned at childcare centre

A childcare centre in Sydney has banned birthday cakes after parent complaints about excessive sugar and children with allergies being left out.

Triplet surprise for newlyweds

As the radiographer moved the wand over her abdomen, Shelley King got the surprise of her life.

3 yummy Thermomix baby and toddler recipes

Louise Fulton Keats shares her recipes for babies and toddlers, including corn and sweet pikelets, pumpkin and pea risotto, and cheesy bunny biscuits.

Man arrested over toddler Nikki's death

A 31-year-old man has been arrested over the death of two-year-old Nikki Francis-Coslovich in Mildura.

Adoption ban on pregnant women to be lifted

Pregnant women will no longer be barred from adoption waiting lists in NSW, after the Baird Government decided the practice was discriminatory.

Are you getting enough magnesium?

Magnesium is the fourth most abundant mineral in the body, but we don't talk enough about it and the vital role it plays in great health and energy, as well as disease prevention.

5 workplace lessons for new parents

Take heart in these principles that will transfer seamlessly from the workplace into your new life as a parent.

Mums to follow on Instagram

A creative outlet for many, there are some savvy women complementing their blogs and businesses with riveting Instagrams feeds. We've chosen a few which have bucketloads of appeal; there are some big time players and some smaller local ones, and they each bring their special brand of magic to the Instagram experience.

Review: The Volvo 2015 XC90 SUV has all the safety features your family needs

The new Volvo XC90 SUV's focus on keeping you safe does not come at the expense of comfort in the XC90.

Kim Kardashian reveals she may have hysterectomy

Kim Kardashian has revealed complications during pregnancy means she might have to have a hysterectomy after the birth of her second child.

Why late night snacks wreak havoc on weight loss

Loath as you may be to admit it, chances are that at some point you have found yourself in the kitchen late at night, devouring food.

Toddler twins pretend to be asleep to fool mum

They say twins have a unique connection. If this cute clip is anything to go by, these toddler sisters like to use their special bond to try to fool their mother.

Dad bags: 10 picks for out and about

Getting out of the house is a big priority in the early years of parenthood and you need to take a well-stocked kit with you. We've chosen 10 of the best nappy bags sure to appeal to dads in style and function.

Win a Mountain Buggy Swift

To celebrate Essential Baby reaching half a million Facebook fans, we have a Mountain Buggy Swift to giveaway to a lucky fan.

Get your FREE Baby & Toddler Show ticket!

Get your free ticket to the Sydney Essential Baby & Toddler Show for September 25-27 - register online now.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Dads who do their share have more sex: study

For women trying to encourage their partners to take more interest in fatherhood, it could be the ultimate incentive.

Think you might have IBS, coeliac disease or Crohn's?

Conditions affecting the gastrointestinal tract are common in modern humans, and many are on the rise - including irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) and coeliac disease.

Couple poses for newborn shoot with adorable puppy

Tired of being asked about their baby-making plans, Australian couple Matt and Abby decided to give a creative answer.

The exercises you know you should be doing (but probably aren't)

I bet your to-do list today is long. But somewhere on that massive list, are you making time for your pelvic floor?

This baby really loves the family cat

Some babies get excited when mum or dad come to get them from their cot after a nap.

Designer kids clothing good enough to eat by Oeuf

Even if you aren't heading to the Northern hemisphere in the next six months, you can't help but love the amazing food-themed knits for babies and kids by cult kids brand Oeuf.

Early exposure to peanuts recommended for allergy prevention

A paediatricians' group is recommending that infants at high risk of peanut allergies be given foods containing peanuts before they turn one.

Home brand foods contain less salt than pricier rivals

Supermarket home brand foods, long derided as cheap and inferior, contain far lower levels of salt than pricier, branded rivals, new research shows.

Nannies for hire, wherever you're flying

Ever dreaded the prospect of a long flight, dreaming about how wonderful it would be for a nanny to entertain the kids?

Couple poses for newborn shoot with adorable puppy

Tired of being asked about their baby-making plans, Australian couple Matt and Abby decided to give a creative answer: with an unusual photo shoot with their 'baby', a groodle (poodle/golden retriever cross) named Humphrey. The talented Elisha from Elisha Minnette Photography caught all the precious shots.

Is it okay to name your baby with a sense of humour?

My husband was sure that Danger was a good option for a boy. And as the pregnancy progressed, it actually started to sound really good.

Woman gives birth after having her own mother's uterus transplanted

In a world first, a healthy baby has been born from the same womb that nurtured his own mother.

So hot right now: double-barrelled baby names on the rise

It's one way to make your baby stand out from the pack – giving them not one, but two first names.

Second time around: is it really better the devil you know?

When I fell pregnant with my second child I was, naturally, very excited. Then it all started to come back to me - and I freaked.

Shopping with kids: breaking the pester-power cycle

You're out shopping with your little one and they're incessantly whining that they want a treat. It's easy to say no ... the first time, at least.

How did we have babies before apps came along?

Three months ago, my wife, Chrysta, and I were driving along Melrose Avenue in Los Angeles when she let out a harrowing cry.

When your toddler disagrees

There comes a time when your child starts having different views to you. I didn't realise that time would come so soon.

Win a Pacapod this Father's Day

To celebrate dads and families, we are giving away a Picos Pack from Pacapod Australia filled with a few extra goodies ENTER NOW

FREE TICKET

Discover the magic of the LEGOŽ DUPLOŽ Play Area in Sydney

Get your free ticket to The Essential Baby & Toddler Show and save $20 - register online now!

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.