Rude or OK?

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#1 EsmeLennox

Posted 12 December 2012 - 01:27 AM

So, you're going to lunch at someone's house. They ask you to bring a salad. No problem there. They request a particular type of salad, again, no real problem there. They then proceed to email you a recipe that you 'must' use. Would you tell them to eff off and find that to be incredibly rude, or is it just me?

So tempted to take an old-fashioned coleslaw with sultanas instead. dev (6).gif

#2 wallofdodo

Posted 12 December 2012 - 01:30 AM

have they got dietary requirements? It does seem a bit over the top.

What type of salad is it?

#3 marnie27

Posted 12 December 2012 - 01:31 AM

Rude. If they feel that strongly about which coleslaw recipe is used, they should make it themselves.

#4 EsmeLennox

Posted 12 December 2012 - 01:32 AM

No, this is not a dietary issue at all. If it were, I would request the recipe to make sure I got it right. No this is just 'I'm a control freak and want everything to be exactly as I want it' behaviour. It is a type of risoni salad.

ETA - the salad in question is not a coleslaw, I just thought maybe I'd make that instead as I know it wouldn't go down well with my very 'foodie' rellies.

Edited by Jemstar, 12 December 2012 - 01:33 AM.

#5 wallofdodo

Posted 12 December 2012 - 01:44 AM

Coleslaw it is then! Rude.

#6 monkeys mum

Posted 12 December 2012 - 01:45 AM

Lol at the end of the day do you want to impress your foodie rellies or make something you will eat and enjoy?

Who knowsthise foodie rellies might really like it.

#7 bakesgirls

Posted 12 December 2012 - 02:02 AM

Rude. Unless there are dietary requirements, which in your scenario, there are not.

They are getting food provided for free. They either should be grateful for what is provided at someone elses expense and time, or shut up and make it themselves.

#8 Rubyduck

Posted 12 December 2012 - 03:36 AM

Absolutely rude!! Even with dietary requirements its a bit odd, I have a few food allergies and wouldn't send someone a must use recipe, possibly ask they not use cream or something I'm highly intolerant to but if it was that big a deal I would just do it myself rather than hand out direct orders!!
I would make whatever and tell them your shop sold out of every single ingredient from the must use recipe, must be the Christmas rush on certain items in your area, nothing you could have done other than substitute their recipe for one of your own rolleyes.gif

#9 Happy Feet

Posted 12 December 2012 - 04:51 AM

Very rude!

#10 B.feral3

Posted 12 December 2012 - 05:13 AM

Make the coleslaw OP.  dev (6).gif

#11 BadCat

Posted 12 December 2012 - 05:17 AM

Rude.

Or in my case, since my skills in the kitchen are non-existant, probably a bonus.  It would save me Googling a recipe.  laughing2.gif

#12 casime

Posted 12 December 2012 - 05:59 AM

Show up with one in a bag from Woolies.   wink.gif

#13 DreamFeralisations

Posted 12 December 2012 - 06:20 AM

Taking a step back here, I have been to two functions where a dish was requested - with specific instructions.

In both instances, they were themed parties and it allowed everyone to put a little bit of an individual stamp on the food table without there being 9 coleslaws and nothing else.

It also meant that the hostess got a beautiful spread with just a bit more organisation and a lot less sweat in the kitchen for herself.

If I were that "put out" but being given a specific task, I wouldn't go - but I probably would tell the hostess so that she could assign the risoni to someone else.

#14 TillyTake2

Posted 12 December 2012 - 06:26 AM

I'd be fine about a specific type of salad (eg can you bring a green salad or a pasta salad or whatever) so that you don't end up with 4 of the same thing but when you start specifying recipes it becomes rude!

#15 ~buzz~

Posted 12 December 2012 - 06:27 AM

Rude!!! if they want a particular salad then they should make it themselves and let you make your own type

#16 elmo_mum

Posted 12 December 2012 - 06:37 AM

i understand - can u bring a "specific" salad - so theres not 4 coleslaws...

but to give a recipe?? rude rude rude

i would find one totally different to hers!!!!

#17 miinii

Posted 12 December 2012 - 06:38 AM

I dont know if i would call it Rude. This year i asked my mum to make potato salad for one of my daughters birthdays and i gave her my recipe to use including all the ingredients. It was a last minute thing as i had run out of time.
If she were to use her own "Recipe" which consists of boiled potatoes and coleslaw dressing....nothing else, there is no way i would have asked her lol.
But in saying that this was my mum, i dont think i would have asked a friend

#18 michelle120773

Posted 12 December 2012 - 06:40 AM

Show up with one in a bag from Woolies.

Or a couple of tubs of KFC coleslaw!!  dev (6).gif

#19 ~Jodama_Feral~

Posted 12 December 2012 - 06:42 AM

QUOTE (miinii @ 12/12/2012, 07:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I dont know if i would call it Rude. This year i asked my mum to make potato salad for one of my daughters birthdays and i gave her my recipe to use including all the ingredients. It was a last minute thing as i had run out of time.
If she were to use her own "Recipe" which consists of boiled potatoes and coleslaw dressing....nothing else, there is no way i would have asked her lol.
But in saying that this was my mum, i dont think i would have asked a friend

Thats still rude and its pretty much saying your salad sucks, so make sure you use mine, which it may do but still its rude.

I would be ok with the specific salad but not being told what recipe and I would use the one I preferred or usually make.

#20 Persnickety_

Posted 12 December 2012 - 06:45 AM

I need to know the recipe to this salad now!  It must be pretty spesh lol

#21 Feral Grey Mare

Posted 12 December 2012 - 06:56 AM

Make the 1970s pineapple and marshmallow salad if you really want to p her off.

#22 WithSprinkles

Posted 12 December 2012 - 07:06 AM

QUOTE (TillyTake2 @ 12/12/2012, 07:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'd be fine about a specific type of salad (eg can you bring a green salad or a pasta salad or whatever) so that you don't end up with 4 of the same thing but when you start specifying recipes it becomes rude!

Agreed

#23 casime

Posted 12 December 2012 - 07:18 AM

If you can get your hands on a 70s 'Golden Circle Tropical recipe book, you could make this little delight:

I think I actually have that recipe book.   blush.gif

#24 Squeekums Da Feral

Posted 12 December 2012 - 07:19 AM

Rude.
Im lucky my friends believe it safer for all involved if I just buy the salad or they make it. I agree with them lol
Me + kitchens + knives/cooking = DANGER!!

#25 Cranky Old Woman

Posted 12 December 2012 - 07:33 AM

I don't think she's being that rude unless this is the latest in a long list of control freaky type things.  She may have thought she was doing you a favour by emailing the recipe to save you time.  Put it down to pre-Christmas tension.

Oh, and do people really put sultanas in coleslaw?  sick.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

6 tips for a day out with a baby and toddler

Outings can be lots of fun with the kids, but there are inevitable challenges. Here's some information about days out to help you be a little more prepared.

Getting labour started: tips for a natural induction

When your baby?s due date comes and goes without so much as a pop - let alone a bang - it can be disheartening. Mums and a doula share their stories of natural inductions.

My four months of breastfeeding madness

You imagine that everyone is thinking badly of you, and you tell yourself you have to keep trying. Even though you are in an impossible situation, you still won't give yourself a break.

Little girl's foul-mouthed ice bucket challenge viewed by millions

It starts out innocently enough, but soon Scarlett-Rose Davis is letting loose with an emphatic swearword.

Australian push for compensated surrogacy

A team of Australia fertility experts has advocated legalising commercial surrogacy.

Clever panda fakes pregnancy

News that a giant panda was pregnant prompted much excitement, but it appears there were never any cubs on the way.

'I survived placenta percreta'

When writing her birth plan, Simone Pavil included an item most women wouldn?t even think about: what should happen if she was put on life support. The mum had the potentially fatal condition placenta accreta.

Managing personal space as a mum

In the midst of the early parenting years, our bodies and minds can seemingly be overtaken by our offspring. How can we balance our need for personal space with the needs of our children?

'If love could have saved you, you'd have never left'

The words "spontaneous abortion" on the hospital paperwork really got to me. My baby died; I didn't spontaneously decide to abort him.

15 classic Aussie ads

Watch some of the classic Australian ads of the 80s, 90s and 00s, and remember the catchphrases and jingles we all used to know so well ...

For and against

Should Blue Ivy have been at the VMAs?

Many were quick to condemn Beyonce and Jay Z after appearing on stage at the MTV Video Music Awards with their two-year-old daughter, but others thought it was a sweet family moment. What do you think?

Toddler attacked at gym creche

Two-year-old girl Eva Ness was left with a black eye and bite marks on her face and body after an altercation with an older child at a health club's child-minding facilities. Now her parents are calling for the centre to be closed.

Pregnancy a tricky matter of timing for FIFO couples

Manipulating rosters, coordinating 'conjugal' visits, working on site with your partner; getting pregnant can prove stressful for FIFO workers.

WIN a $100 RedBalloon for Dad

Enter now for your chance to win 1 of 5 $100 RedBalloon experience vouchers. Helping you make Dad's Day EXTRA HAPPY.

Carseats have twice as many germs as a toilet

Most parents know their child's carseat is not always squeaky clean, but they might not realise just how dirty it really is.

Doctors remove foetus from 'medical marvel' after 36 years

Doctors in India have removed the skeleton of a foetus that had been inside a woman for 36 years.

Nine months in six seconds: new parents' Vine clip a hit

We?ve seen some memorable time-lapse pregnancy and birth announcement videos before. Now one new couple has taken it to the extreme, capturing it all in just a six-second Vine video.

Sonia Kruger speaks of baby joy

Celebrity mum-to-be Sonia Kruger has spoken candidly about using donor eggs and IVF to fall pregnant at age 48.

Dressing to not impress: life through the eyes of a three-year-old

When it comes to getting dressed, my three-year-old has only one criterion: ?I don?t want to look beautiful.? And now I've worked out why.

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

WIN a $100 RedBalloon for Dad

Enter now for your chance to win 1 of 5 $100 RedBalloon experience vouchers. Helping you make Dad's Day EXTRA HAPPY.

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Do you suffer from Precious Firstborn Syndrome?

Testing ?no more tears? shampoo in your own eyes, warming cucumber sticks so they're not cold straight from the fridge, waking a sleeping baby to check they?re still breathing: these are all symptoms of Precious Firstborn Syndrome.

Ezra's tragic death not in vain, mum says

Little Ezra was a "Harry Houdini" who loved trying to escape the family home. Now, after his tragic death, his parents are doing what they can to help others.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

Video: When adults act like children

Ever wondered what would happen if adults were allowed to act like children? This dad's hilarious video clip will give you an idea of what life would be like.

Mums hit hardest as flu cases skyrocket

The number of confirmed cases of influenza in Australia has doubled the number for the same time last year - and women are 25 per cent more likely to get it.

The mum who had four babies in nine months

Feeling exhausted due to the demands of caring for a baby? Imagine the life of this mum, who gave birth to three boys and one girl in just nine months.

Everything baby at Big W

Lowest prices on everything baby, only at Big W. Sale starts August 4 and ends August 20 2014.

Going viral

Daycare death shows licensing need

A baby's tragic death in a family daycare centre has underlined a need for better licensing laws in the US.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.