Taking legal action - why are some people so keen on it?

• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

#1 LifesGood

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:41 PM

A friend told DH a story the other day about his DDs school. He is on some committee there and they were discussing an accident a child had when they fell off a piece of equipment at the school. Apparently the mother's first comment was "I hope you've got insurance!". I've no idea how badly the child was hurt, but I was astonished that this was foremost in the mothers mind - suing the school. It would never occur to me to take legal action against the school for something like this.

But obviously lots of people do think like this, hence the problems with everyone having to be so cautious about everything in the public domain (and evidenced by the number of posts and threads that are edited/deleted on EB).

I'm trying to figure out why we have become so litigious. Any ideas?

#2 BadCat

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:43 PM

Money.  Lots and lots of money.

#3 Lucrezia Borgia

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:45 PM

People love lawyers. We are so warm and fuzzy. Like  a basket full of kittens......

tongue.gif

What BadCat said....

Edited by Lucretia Borgia, 11 December 2012 - 07:45 PM.

#4 WinterIsComing

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:46 PM

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

#5 ~iMum~

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:51 PM

DS broke his arm at school last year, just playing as normal on the playground equipment and fell the wrong way. The poor principal was so apologetic and stressed when I got there pick DS up. He was genuinely worried about what action I would take against the school. It took a lot of convincing on my behalf to assure him I wasn't going to 'sue' the school. I feel sorry for teachers if this if they have to live with this constant fear.

#6 123tree

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:51 PM

I think it is because we watch too much American television. I think unfortunately it is one of the ways we are becoming more American.

#7 casime

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:52 PM

It drives me mental that as soon as anything happens, the first instinct is to sue.  A dog club I was involved with got sued because a woman's dog jumped up at her and she fell over and sprainedher wrist.

#8 FeralZombieMum

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:55 PM

Yeah I'm not sure "Insurance" meant suing the school or taking legal action. wink.gif

Our school pays for an insurance policy that will cover some treatment for kids that have accidents. Like teeth that are damaged and need future work.

I know of one child that had a dental injury years ago, and parents were still claiming for the cost of treatment as it caused other sorts of issues. They aren't claiming against the school, they are claiming against the policy.

#9 MintyBiscuit

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:56 PM

I think a lot of the time it's greed, but sometimes it's an attempt to right a wrong. Legal action may often be the only way to get an apology, or an acknowledgment of wrongdoing, and could be the first step in getting things changed so unfortunate incidents can be avoided.

#10 cinnabubble

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:01 PM

In lots of cases, legal action is the only way to be compensated sufficiently to ensure that ongoing medical expenses are met.

#11 Domestic Goddess

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:03 PM

Money money money, it's so funny. That's what DS and I sing when we hear/see greedy people going for a quick money grasp. It's human nature and it's been around for yonks. People have been killed and wars have been fought for nothing but pure greed. Trying to make a quick buck.

#12 katniss

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:04 PM

Legal action has it's place. But I think the advertised "no win, no fee" actions encourage people to give legal action a go when they ordinarily wouldn't have a leg to stand on.

#13 FluffyOscar

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:04 PM

As someone who lives in Victoria, I can't sue unless I can prove 6% permanent disability caused by the accident/injury.

Too bad if someone else's stupidity causes you 5% permanent disability that will cost you tend of thousands over the course of your, possibly shortened, life.

People have a right to sue. I would much rather not be injured on the first place.

#14 FluffyOscar

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:06 PM

QUOTE (cinnabubble @ 11/12/2012, 09:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In lots of cases, legal action is the only way to be compensated sufficiently to ensure that ongoing medical expenses are met.

Exactly.

You don't get a million bucks for a sprained ankle.

#15 *Lib*

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:06 PM

Unfortunatley as a business owner its terrifying when someone hurts themself in your premises. A simple slip and fall is worrying. We do everything we can to minimise the possibility but accidents still happen sad.gif But at the end of the day thats why we have public liability insurance.

#16 Soontobegran

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:07 PM

I have no idea.
Accidents happen, there does not always have to be a scapegoat yet there are many who will attempt to find one instead of admitting it was because they were clumsy or were not paying attention etc.
Medical costs for these accidents should be met by the injured unless there is clear negligence which can be proven, they may be horrendous costs but that is life unfortunately.

#17 Feral Nicety

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:08 PM

A friend of mine sued for millions after the early totally preventable birth of her son.  It was not about the money but about systemic change at the hospital and about setting him up for needed lifelong care.

Until we have an NDIS, some people are going to be forced to sue just to get basic care for their loved ones.

Other people can just be greedy grasping bastards though wink.gif

#18 Feral Nicety

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:09 PM

QUOTE (soontobegran @ 11/12/2012, 08:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Medical costs for these accidents should be met by the injured unless there is clear negligence which can be proven, they may be horrendous costs but that is life unfortunately.

Or we could have an NDIS where medical costs and a dignified life is more likely.

#19 I'm Batman

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:10 PM

People like wasting money and feeling stress over legal action.

I have no idea. Can you tell? The legal system is designed to dress lawyers in 50 dollar notes. if you enter the system you'd want to be serious about why you are there.

#20 lamarque

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:12 PM

QUOTE (katniss @ 11/12/2012, 09:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Legal action has it's place. But I think the advertised "no win, no fee" actions encourage people to give legal action a go when they ordinarily wouldn't have a leg to stand on.

Yes, it might initially have people asking the question but most lawyers in NSW won't take a case on (under the Civil Liability Act) unless they 100% think they will win. There are costs implications against firms when they don't get a verdict over a certain amount.

#21 adl

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:12 PM

Yep we are all  warm fuzzy kittens ...money....and a misguided belief you will get adequately compensated...American tv... A society that believes someone else should take responsibility

I am yet to meet someone who actually "won" and really was better off....time, emotionally, financially etc etc regardless of what they say...

And we all pay with increased insurance payments and exclusions to policies

#22 epl0822

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:21 PM

The one positive thing that arose from even ludicrous and outlandish lawsuits is that people nowadays take safety and precaution very seriously. Sometimes a little OTT, but it's a lot better than what it used to be a generation ago.

My DH worked on a huge construction site a couple of years ago and I was quite worried about him. Thankfully there was full time OH&S personnel on site and they were incredibly anal about his safety. He got every single safety gear he asked for without any drama. Needless to say I was relieved.

I also think people think twice about the implications of their actions.

#23 -Emissary-

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:46 PM

As someone who has worked in two compensation law firms, I can tell you that it is no easy path to go down trying to sue for compensation.

I would never recommend it for most cases as it is simply not worth the time and effort. Even for case where compensation SHOULD be made, it still takes years to settle and thousands in fees.

#24 JapNFeral

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:43 PM

Well in Victoria unless you have a 5% or greater impairment you can't sue.

However, I am a great believer in things like the NDIS so that all people are covered for the costs of care and their lives with impairment.

#25 olikat03

Posted 11 December 2012 - 10:00 PM

Sometimes people need to sue because of negligence or lack of duty of care and the need for compensation to assist them live comfortably for the rest of their life. I totally agree with that

Its the majority of others who have a victim mentality. They just want to be the centre of everyone's attention and get the ultimate gratification in a monetary way to make sure they make some other poor persons life a misery.

Its the honest ones that usually lose out in the long run and end up living their lives of a lesser standard compared to those greedy selfish ones who like to ensure someone pays big time for something so small that never should have been awarded.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

A mum's tragic battle against inflammatory breast cancer

At just 37 years of age, with two young sons, Vicki was diagnosed with inflammatory breast cancer. Now her family wants all women to know the symptoms.

The business of babies around the world

Pregnancy and birth is an intriguing process no matter where you are in the world. One soon-to-be father gleans wisdom from a new guide.

Finding a positive path through IVF

It’s not surprising that IVF is often seen as a negative journey towards the ultimate positive, but having a glass-half-full approach can make a big difference to the experience.

Giving strangers the gift of parenthood

A mum explains why she and her husband are choosing to gift their leftover embryos to help strangers achieve their dream of parenthood.

Does morning sickness get better or worse with each child?

Just as every baby is unique, so is every pregnancy. And that means morning sickness can vary a lot, too.

What's so wrong with looking 'mumsy', anyway?

Why is it that the word ‘mumsy’ has connotations of such a negative nature – but seems to be the only other option apart from ‘yummy’?

Trying to speed up the inevitable

As the waiting game of late pregnancy continues, this mum considers a few things that might hurry things up a little.

One month later: where is William Tyrell?

It has been a little over a month since William Tyrell disappeared from his grandmother's home, 33 long sleepless nights for his family as they mourn the absence of their cheeky young boy.

Winter's child less likely to be moody: study

Babies born in the summer are much more likely to suffer from mood swings when they grow up, while those born in the winter are less likely to become irritable adults, scientists claim.

Single mum of two creates award-winning baby app

Suddenly single with a baby and an 11-year-old son, Tara O?Connell developed an app to improve the lives of mothers who were similarly overwhelmed.

Food for thought: looking after yourself as a new mum

As soon as your baby enters the world, everything else takes a back seat - even the necessities of daily life such as eating are severely compromised, right when you need energy the most.

'Grabbable guts' campaign aims to cut toxic fat

The Live Lighter campaign will take people inside the human body to show the internal dangers of being overweight.

The best and worst month of my life

A new mum's first month of motherhood didn't pan out as expected when she lost a family member weeks after her baby's birth.

Facebook and Apple offer to pay female staff to freeze their eggs

Facebook and Apple are hoping to provide women with the freedom to build their careers without the added pressure of having children at or by a certain age.

How a pregnancy contract could work for you and your partner

The idea of making a 'pregnancy contract' with your partner may sound a bit silly at first, but it can help make the transition to parenthood a lot smoother.

Finding a mum-friendly personal trainer

Burping babies vs burpees – yes, new mums and personal trainers live in different worlds. But they can work together - once you find the right match for you and your lifestyle.

Alleged baby snatch incident a ?misunderstanding?, say police

Police say that an incident in which a man pulled on a woman?s pram while walking a popular Sydney route late last month was a misunderstanding.

Ebola killed my aunt and is shutting down my country

Three weeks ago, my auntie, a midwife, developed a fever. Sitting here in Sydney basked in Australian sunshine, that shouldn't be big news.

The night my ovary burst

One mum shares her frightening experience and vows to never take her health for granted again.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

Student shocked by surprise baby

Kate Hudson, 22, was on a dream European holiday with friends. She didn't realise she was about to become a mum.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.