Tweens still believing in Santa

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#1 asdf89

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:01 PM

Just read this article on Jezebel
http://jezebel.com/5967262/parents-who-lov...anta-are-idiots

'Look, if you think you're 10-year-old still believes in Santa Claus, you are stupid. Or maybe your kid is. Take your pick. Sorry (not sorry), but those are your only options. Because if your tween is telling you that they consider an overweight man circumnavigating the globe on a flying sled that somehow manages to fit billions of dollars' worth of gifts for the millions of children living in the millions of homes he must visit in the span of one evening as being a completely plausible endeavor, then there's seriously something not right with that kid.'

Any thoughts?

BTW I believed in Santa until pretty late... maybe even 10  wacko.gif but I blame my older sisters who always seemed to find ways to explain why the presents I found in Mum's cupboard ended up in my stocking, to make sure they kept getting Santa presents too haha

#2 FeralEsme

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:03 PM

I think 10 year olds who still believe in Santa would be quite rare, but children do develop at different rates, so it's certainly not impossible.

#3 mum201

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:05 PM

Hmmmm I can't imagine many kids who would believe past the age of 8.....

#4 *BluePinkie*

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:10 PM

My 8yr old is borderline at the moment. I am sure he is not saying anything as his 5yr old sister still believes.

#5 RealityBites

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:11 PM

My mum insists she believed in Santa until she was 14. She is a little naive ..

#6 threelittleones

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:13 PM

my 10 year old still believes....think it will be our last year though...

#7 Quack Quack

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:16 PM

My youngest is 6, and he tells me now that Father Christmas isn't real cos the kids at school told him!

I don't really mind, we have never made a huge deal of Santa in this house... more like a bit of a laugh.

#8 asdf89

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:17 PM

QUOTE (Rawr @ 11/12/2012, 07:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I thought it was hilarious if you don't take it too seriously shrug.gif

Oh I thought it was funny too. I just thought since the target of the writer's rage was mummy bloggers trying to shelter their kids it might stir up a bit of EB rage in response ph34r.gif

#9 cas8cas

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:17 PM

My son is 10 and he still believes original.gif and I will let him believe for as long as possible

Kids grow up way too fast as it is original.gif

#10 FeralDivine

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:20 PM

I believed till age 12, but maybe i am a moron  unsure.gif laughing2.gif

Edited by Divine33, 11 December 2012 - 06:20 PM.

#11 bizikids

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:25 PM

My 12 yo ds still believes original.gif

#12 eachschoolholidays

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:31 PM

My brother and I prentended to believe so as to continue to receive Santa presents

#13 HubbaBubbaMumma

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:32 PM

QUOTE (threelittleones @ 11/12/2012, 07:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
my 10 year old still believes....think it will be our last year though...

+1 and my DS 12.5 is borderline. I don't mind, as long as they're happy who cares!

#14 taffy19

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:36 PM

I hope my children still believe at 10. I love the Santa side of christmas, I love seeing the magic on their faces.
I think I will be a bit sad when they don't.  My youngest came home the other week telling me some kids in his reception class told him he wasn't real. He came to the conclusion they were lying

#15 Julie3Girls

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:45 PM

The tricky part is working out if your child actually still believes, or not.0

I'm pretty sure my 11yr old knows the truth, but she's not going to admit that to me. original.gif She enjoys the whole Christmas experience, and is definitely the sort to insist she still believes.

#16 asdf89

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:48 PM

For those of you with kids 10+ who still believe:Do your kids get teased about still believing in Santa?Do other kids at school tell them he's not real?Do you think (even a little bit) that they know he's not real and just keep stringing you along to get the extra pressies?

#17 skylark

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:48 PM

I absolutely, totally, unquestioningly believed until I was nearly 11. I was far from a sheltered child, and I'd like to think I'm not stupid, but I did have a vivid imagination and a family full of storytellers who valued fantasy and imagination games very highly. I only stopped believing because I saw a Benji christmas special on TV where Benji's owner met the "real' santa and said something like "but I thought it was just my mom & dad!" and that planted a seed of doubt, and then that night I woke up when my stepfather was bringing my santa presents in as I had asked for a hula hoop with ball bearings in it (was the hot toy that year) and the sound of the ball bearings woke me up, and it was all over.

I have no idea how long my son will believe in Santa for, he's probably 5 times as imaginative as I was, and absolutely loves any kind of story or game, so he might hold on for longer than average too.

#18 BadCat

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:51 PM

What a charming bit of drivel.

It's nothing more than "Parenting - you're doing it WRONG" 101, laced with a bit of smug "I was so advanced that...".   yyawn.gif

#19 VintageEyes

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:52 PM

QUOTE (cas8cas @ 11/12/2012, 06:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My son is 10 and he still believes original.gif and I will let him believe for as long as possible

Kids grow up way too fast as it is original.gif

This

I can't believe some people tell their kids when they are 6. Given most kids only start understanding santa at age 3...thats only 3 years of childhood magic. Why bother with it at all?

They have a whole adult lifetime of dissapointing and stark realities, let them enjoy the magic for as long as they want.  Childhood is all too short these days.

#20 SnazzyFeral

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:52 PM

I believed until I was ten or so because Santa always bought gifts that my mother told us repeatedly she couldn't afford and wouldn't get us even if she could. Santa also came to grown ups in my house so not believing didn't mean that gifts stopped. We all still get Santa stockings and we are in our late 20s

#21 FeralEsme

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:55 PM

I don't think not believing in Santa means childhood has ended...

#22 WinterIsComing

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:02 PM

I think I was 11.

I came home from school and said to Mum, "I can't believe so and so trying to tell me there is no Santa, he probably just doesn't visit them!"

My mum sighed and said:

"WinterIsComing, your breasts are growing, I can't have you believe in Santa any longer"

I was shattered. To be fair, there was no Internet in those days, and my family always had an elaborate routine of presents "magically" appearing, as well as having my uncle dress as Santa and show up on Xmas eve. I would always tell him afterwards: you missed Santa again!

#23 cward

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:49 AM

The tricky part is working out if your child actually still believes, or not.0

I'm pretty sure my 11yr old knows the truth, but she's not going to admit that to me.  She enjoys the whole Christmas experience, and is definitely the sort to insist she still believes.
  this is probably my 10yo as well.  Last year she asked me at every opportunity if I was Santa but this year she hasn't said anything.

Whether they believe or not I still like having the illusion of Santa, I still put something under the tree from Santa for myself (at least  I know I am getting one thing I want).  My kids get their main present from us anyway and they will still get a Santa sack full of little things even when they stop believing in Santa because I love doing the sack.  I love Christmas and I want to make it a magical day for my family.

#24 MrsNorris

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:57 AM

Edited by Willoughby Chase, 01 February 2013 - 12:49 PM.

#25 Carmen02

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:58 AM

I have a 10yr old and Im not to sure if she believes she has asked many questions and I have answered that you believe in what you want to believe in and that made her happy, i wont lie to her but keeping the magic alive is wonderful. my 8yr old totally believes he has special needs so has his issues and to be honest I want to tell him before someone at school tells him as i dont think he will cope so I think it will be his last christmas totally believing.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Share the little things that make you smile

We're giving away a Mountain Buggy nano, the ultimate travel stroller - and here are some of the great entries so far.

Toddler pleads for return of "stolen" nose

A two-year-old's reaction to a game of "got your nose" shows it doesn't take much to make a toddler cry.

The 15 photos new parents share (and five they don't)

From the first scan photo to the baby covered in cake at their first birthday party, there are 15 photos most parents seem to share - and some they don't.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

Breastfeeding friendly café goes viral

A photo of a breastfeeding-friendly sign in a cafe has been posted to Facebook and shared by hundreds of mums around the world.

First look at the Bugaboo Bee3

The newest Bugaboo Bee ? the Bee3 ? offers a variety of improved features, including a much asked-for bassinet and a rainbow of colour combinations.

Childcare costs, not paid leave, the real issue for parents

Given the choice between maintaining their wage for six months to have a child, or having a reduced rate of pay for a time but a better deal on childcare when returning to work, there are no odds on what most working parents would choose.

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

We lost three babies in two years

Our first pregnancy ended the way we all expected it to - with a healthy, happy baby in our arms. What a true blessing he was, for we were not to know the heartache we were about endure.

Family turned back from doomed flight MH17

'There must have been someone watching over us and saying, 'You must not get on that flight,' says mother who narrowly avoided boarding the Malaysian Airlines flight which exploded in mid-air over the Ukraine last night.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Adorable Skeanie loafers for kids

Your little toddler or preschooler can now get their nautical on with a new range of classic loafers by Australian show brand Skeanie.

My baby is hypermobile

For months, I have been telling myself not to worry that Jasmin isn't crawling or walking. This week I heard the term hypermobile for the first time.

When you don?t bond with your baby

They say that there is no bond greater than the bond between a mother and her child. But for some women, the mother-baby bond takes more time and effort to develop.

Yumi Stynes: Having a baby after a 10-year break

After a long break, Yumi Stynes gets a reminder of the pain - and the pleasure - of giving birth.

Grieving father asks for help to Photoshop his daughter's image

When Nathan Steffel's daughter Sophia died from a liver condition at just 6 weeks old, he reached out for someone to create a beautiful image of his little girl.

Raising kids in a 'low media' home

Can you imagine a life without TV or computers? Some parents are opting for a low-tech, screen-free life for their kids.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

WIN two Sea-Bands plus $1000

Three lucky fans can win a Sea-Band Prize Pack valued at over $1000 each, which includes two Sea-Bands plus a $1000 Eftpos Gift Card!

The beautiful moment a baby was born at the side of a road

It's not where she expected to give birth, but mum Corrine Cinatl is delighted that her daughter's roadside arrival was captured in a series of beautiful photos.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

The Nappy Collective starts new drive

It's that time of year when the dedicated volunteers at The Nappy Collective do their bit to help out mums and children in need - and they need your help.

Baby shower cake wrecks

From misshapen cake babies to questionable text, from odd colour choices to internal organ recreation, these are the baby shower cakes that taste forgot.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

Pregnancy progression photo ideas

Want to record your pregnancy as your belly grows? Here are some creative, fun ideas for photo shoots along the way.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Tin can craft and DIY ideas

Got a few old formula, Milo or coffee cans around the house? Use these fantastic upcycling ideas to create items for around the house and yard.

Dads meet their newborn for the first time

Emotional photos of two fathers meeting their newborn son have resonated with viewers worldwide, attracting thousands of Facebook likes and shares.

Skin safety isn't just a summer worry

Lax about the slip slop slap with your kids as weather turns cooler? Here's a reminder as to why we have to remain vigilant for our children?s future health.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Creative sleeping baby photoshoots

See how some parents and photographers have captured sleeping babies in unusual positions and using different props.

DIY kitchen and food hacks

DIY your way to a better kitchen and make cooking easier with our clever hacks. (Some content reproduced with permission from mashable.com.)

Winter warmers for babies and toddlers

Your baby or toddler will be nice and snug in these beautiful and fun winter pieces. Most are hand-made or knitted, and they're all designed to keep your little one toastie - and adorable!

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.