Professionalism or lack of?
Is there an issue?

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 bakesgirls

Posted 11 December 2012 - 05:23 PM

http://www.smh.com.au/executive-style/cult...2b75l.html#poll

Just curious what others think of staff calling their clients and each other things like  'darling', 'sweetheart', 'honey' and so on.

I don't see an issue with staff calling each other such names if the other person is agreeable to it. I can see the issue though with calling clients such names, as it can be interpreted as condescending.

What do you think? Political correctness gone too far, or a problem that should be addressed?

ETA- Do you think it's OK for clients to call a professional, or anyone for that matter, 'honey', 'love', 'darl', or do you think it just needs to stop on both sides? If it's disrespectful to call a patient such names, surely it's inappropriate for patients to call their nurse or carer something similar?

FWIW, I have slipped up on occasion and called a petient one of the above names, but I do my best to remain professional and call them either Mr/s so and so, or by their first name, whatever they prefer.

Edited by bakesgirls, 11 December 2012 - 06:07 PM.

#2 lucky 2

Posted 11 December 2012 - 05:45 PM

In my experience we have always been advised not to use that kind of language when talking to patients/clients, its been that way for 20+ years.
But it happens and I've done it, by accident usually as in it's just slips out.
I try not to make a habit of it but I think there are more pressing issues in the public health system.
Staff definitely need to be careful so they don't end up with compliants made against them, probably more by colleagues than by patients.

#3 Guest_~Songbird~_*

Posted 11 December 2012 - 05:48 PM

Edited by *SnowFlower*, 20 February 2013 - 05:10 PM.

#4 Lucrezia Borgia

Posted 11 December 2012 - 05:53 PM

The article I read on this stated "mate" was also included in this...? I think you are pushing the proverbial uphill to get that word out of every workday conversation!

It kind of rubs  me up the wrong way when I get called honey or sweetheart....it doesn't happen so much these days though (to me)

#5 amabanana

Posted 11 December 2012 - 05:53 PM

TBH it depends on how it is used.  Once and in a nice tone, sure.  Over and over and in a condescending tone, not so much.

#6 Stellajoy

Posted 11 December 2012 - 05:54 PM

It's better to have a blanket rule.

I have an older male collegue who calls me "darl", luv, and girly.

As in we are having a meeting , five males and myself, all of who I'm more educated than, and he will turn to me and say "get us some coffee would you darl"

It is so very patronizing and condescending.

I didn't want to make a complaint against him so next time he asked "can you make coffee luv?" I told him I could, I'd made 1000s of coffees in a cafe while I put myself through my undergrad degree, I'd made myself a LOT of coffees while studied late at night doing my masters, but for the last ten years working in my field I've paid other people to make me coffee so I'm a bit rusty. Then I showed him where the kettle was.

He never did it again.

So no, I don't think it's over the top to ask staff not to adress each other by terms other than there given name.

#7 Froger

Posted 11 December 2012 - 05:55 PM

I've had nurses call me darl, love  and sweetheart.  I quite like it. It hasn't seemed condescending to me. Rather it made me feel like they cared about me, as they are emptying my catheter bag and showering my fat naky body, LOL.  I'd rather be called a term of endearment by a nurse than Mrs/Ms Whatever.

#8 bakesgirls

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:00 PM

QUOTE (Lucretia Borgia @ 11/12/2012, 05:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The article I read on this stated "mate" was also included in this...? I think you are pushing the proverbial uphill to get that word out of every workday conversation!

Yep, 'mate' was also included in the list of words, sorry I forgot to add that in the OP. I agree, it's going to be a tough word to extinguish from everyday conversation.

#9 liveworkplay

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:00 PM

Unless its an adult to a young child, I detest the whole Sweety, Darl, Honey and cringe whenever I hear it. I agree it sounds extremely unprofessional. Mind you, I also think mate has no place in a professional/client relationship. What they call each other (workmates) I don't care, but I am not some random public servants mate.

Terms like 'mate', 'darling', 'sweetheart' and 'honey' are not appropriate, the memo says, because they may be perceived as "disrespectful, disempowering and non-professional".

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/executive-style/cult...l#ixzz2EjCS3qwN

I'd rather be called a term of endearment by a nurse than Mrs/Ms Whatever.

Really? I feel the exact opposite. Whilst I think first names should be used, pet names are totally stepping over the mark.

Edited by liveworkplay, 11 December 2012 - 06:02 PM.

#10 Exhaustedbuthappy

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:03 PM

QUOTE (Stellajoy @ 11/12/2012, 05:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have an older male collegue who calls me "darl", luv, and girly.

As in we are having a meeting , five males and myself, all of who I'm more educated than, and he will turn to me and say "get us some coffee would you darl"

It is so very patronizing and condescending.

I didn't want to make a complaint against him so next time he asked "can you make coffee luv?" I told him I could, I'd made 1000s of coffees in a cafe while I put myself through my undergrad degree, I'd made myself a LOT of coffees while studied late at night doing my masters, but for the last ten years working in my field I've paid other people to make me coffee so I'm a bit rusty. Then I showed him where the kettle was.

He never did it again.

So no, I don't think it's over the top to ask staff not to adress each other by terms other than there given name.

Oh, I love this. I wish I had the guts to say something similar!

#11 Guest_bottle~rocket_*

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:14 PM

I agree that it's generally not appropriate for people to use these terms with their colleagues or clients (with the exception of "mate").  Even if colleagues are good friends outside of the workplace, it's not appropriate in the workplace.  

I think being called "darl" or "honey" by hairdressers, beauty therapists and such is a bit different though!

#12 EsmeLennox

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:29 PM

I would not be appreciative of being called any of these things in the workplace. Nor do I use any o fthese when speaking to my colleagues. I occasionally use 'sweetie' or 'mate' with younger students if they are upset about something and need a bit of extra kindness and warmth, but I do not make a habit of it.

In other situations it would depend on the context.

#13 PatG

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:39 PM

One place I worked there was a client who called me darl.  I hated it!  My boss was pretty cluey though and any time this client was there for a meeting he (the boss) made sure he made and offered the coffee! In general any of us made the coffee.  This same client on conference calls would say "hi guys" and then feel the need to correct himself and add "oh, and ladies too".  I'm fine with "guys" being gender neutral.

I think the best thing to do is avoid using terms at all.  You can come across caring without darl, love etc- "afternoon, how are you feeling?  Could I have a look at XYX", or using what ever name the person asks you to.

#14 Guest_3Keiki_*

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:40 PM

I used to use some of those terms in an effort to calm people, reassure people or placate people. When people dealing with health frontline health professionals stop using bi..., or bast... or fu...., cu... or any of the lovely things I was subjected to I am sure everyone will be happy to do the Mr/Mrs/Ms/Miss thing.... jus saying

#15 CountryFeral

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:40 PM

QUOTE (Stellajoy @ 11/12/2012, 06:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

next time he asked "can you make coffee luv?" I told him I could, I'd made 1000s of coffees in a cafe while I put myself through my undergrad degree, I'd made myself a LOT of coffees while studied late at night doing my masters, but for the last ten years working in my field I've paid other people to make me coffee so I'm a bit rusty. Then I showed him where the kettle was.

He never did it again.

A boyfriend of mine many, many years ago.. was told on his first day of his apprenticeship by one of the TAs "Can you go and make coffee boy?"

He answered "Ah well I already know how to make coffee, I'm here to learn how to be an electrician, I don't know how to do that!"

His supervisor was shocked and then laughed.. "Too bloody right mate! Well said!"  and from that day on the TA made the coffee!

My boss calls me sweetheart and darling - but she is a very 'Mumsy' kind of woman and I don't mind.  She is utterly professional when it is called for and that's what counts.

When I was in hospital having my miscarriage the nurse who held my hand and said "It is not fair darling it is NOT fair!" had my eternal gratitude.

#16 la di dah

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:52 PM

I've wigged out Aussies by defaulting to sir/ma'am in work type settings but that's what I'm used to.

I don't mind dear/honey/babygirl sort of thing from waitresses/hair stylists etc. but I would find it cloying in an office environment.

I'd rather be called Ms. but that tends to not happen. I don't mind calling clients by title, I prefer the professional distance. And I found female clients especially enjoyed hearing their contractors call and ask for Dr. such-and-such and not Cindy, or whatever, as it seems people are often more willing to saw off a woman's work title than a man's.

#17 Riotproof

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:55 PM

TBH, I think it's a load of crap. Health professionals are meant to be caring, aren't they?
I think there is probably an age line, whereby if the health worker is much younger than the patient it shouldn't be used, but surely we can trust them to be the judge of that.
I don't think a term of endearment on it's own can be condescending anyway, it's the tone and body language that accompanies it.

#18 Stellajoy

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:59 PM

A boyfriend of mine many, many years ago.. was told on his first day of his apprenticeship by one of the TAs "Can you go and make coffee boy?"

He answered "Ah well I already know how to make coffee, I'm here to learn how to be an electrician, I don't know how to do that!"

Awesome!

I still havent tackled the guy who calls me "girly" in a REALLY condescending way. He is about 75 though and a volunteer. Im trying to get brave enough to snap back with "Ok Old man" but it would just feel so rude...ironically

#19 SnazzyFeral

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:01 PM

I agree that there should be a blanket rule to stop harassment or sexism but I am sad that it has to be that way. When I was hospital the most calming thing was a nurse saying “it will be alright lovie” It made me feel cared for and safe when I was really scared.

#20 KylieferalMin0gue

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:03 PM

I work in aged care, and residents that I know well I always call names like mate, sweetheart, handsome (for the males) etc.  They love it.  The place that I am looking after them in is effectively their home, and I find that my residents are more relaxed when the staff are down to Earth, and not formal all the time.
Of course there are some residents that like to be called Mr or Mrs such and such get called by their formal names, but most like it to be more casual.

#21 liveworkplay

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:04 PM

I don't think a term of endearment on it's own can be condescending anyway, it's the tone and body language that accompanies it.

Unless it is a very close relation or friend to assume a relationship with someone where a term of endearment appropriate is totally unprofessional and crossing the boundary.

I even cringe if it is the check out chick or hairdresser uses such terms. Totally over-familiar IMO.

#22 SkeptiFERAL

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:12 PM

I think it is about the maturity to make the judgement of when it is appropriate. I always start with Mr/Mrs or Sir/Madam even. But there are plenty of instances of when I have picked my target and slipped into some of the terms above - normally to a patient who I have already progressed to hand-holding, rubs of the arm etc with. After many years, I think I pick my targets pretty well.

On the flip side, the 19 yr old hairdressing apprentice calling me "sweetie" on first contact certainly rubs me up the wrong way, as does the check out operator who I have had about 8-items-or-less worth of relationship with.

#23 Riotproof

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:28 PM

QUOTE (liveworkplay @ 11/12/2012, 08:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Unless it is a very close relation or friend to assume a relationship with someone where a term of endearment appropriate is totally unprofessional and crossing the boundary.

I even cringe if it is the check out chick or hairdresser uses such terms. Totally over-familiar IMO.

The article is talking about health professionals, isn't it? The kind of people who see other people when they are scared, very unwell, in pain, vulnerable? I don't think "sweetheart" is a problem in that situation and I don't think it compares to a hairdresser calling you "honey" while blowdrying your hair.

#24 la di dah

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:32 PM

QUOTE (Riotproof @ 11/12/2012, 08:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The article is talking about health professionals, isn't it? The kind of people who see other people when they are scared, very unwell, in pain, vulnerable? I don't think "sweetheart" is a problem in that situation and I don't think it compares to a hairdresser calling you "honey" while blowdrying your hair.

Personally I'd rather hear it from the hairdresser than my doctor/nurse. shrug.gif

I like the emotional distance when I am being physically intimate with a stranger.

#25 Riotproof

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:38 PM

QUOTE (la di dah @ 11/12/2012, 08:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Personally I'd rather hear it from the hairdresser than my doctor/nurse. shrug.gif

I like the emotional distance when I am being physically intimate with a stranger.

But again, isn't that judgment? Isn't that reading body language and treating the whole person? I can't imagine someone saying something that could be construed as "personal" while performing a pap smear or breast examination, but if the patient is visibly scared, suffering from some trauma, what possible harm could a "sweetheart" do?

I'm not saying it should be open slather, but I feel it's taking away a legitimate tool to treat patients.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

A mum's tragic battle against inflammatory breast cancer

At just 37 years of age, with two young sons, Vicki was diagnosed with inflammatory breast cancer. Now her family wants all women to know the symptoms.

The business of babies around the world

Pregnancy and birth is an intriguing process no matter where you are in the world. One soon-to-be father gleans wisdom from a new guide.

Finding a positive path through IVF

It’s not surprising that IVF is often seen as a negative journey towards the ultimate positive, but having a glass-half-full approach can make a big difference to the experience.

Giving strangers the gift of parenthood

A mum explains why she and her husband are choosing to gift their leftover embryos to help strangers achieve their dream of parenthood.

Does morning sickness get better or worse with each child?

Just as every baby is unique, so is every pregnancy. And that means morning sickness can vary a lot, too.

What's so wrong with looking 'mumsy', anyway?

Why is it that the word ‘mumsy’ has connotations of such a negative nature – but seems to be the only other option apart from ‘yummy’?

Trying to speed up the inevitable

As the waiting game of late pregnancy continues, this mum considers a few things that might hurry things up a little.

One month later: where is William Tyrell?

It has been a little over a month since William Tyrell disappeared from his grandmother's home, 33 long sleepless nights for his family as they mourn the absence of their cheeky young boy.

Winter's child less likely to be moody: study

Babies born in the summer are much more likely to suffer from mood swings when they grow up, while those born in the winter are less likely to become irritable adults, scientists claim.

Single mum of two creates award-winning baby app

Suddenly single with a baby and an 11-year-old son, Tara O?Connell developed an app to improve the lives of mothers who were similarly overwhelmed.

Food for thought: looking after yourself as a new mum

As soon as your baby enters the world, everything else takes a back seat - even the necessities of daily life such as eating are severely compromised, right when you need energy the most.

'Grabbable guts' campaign aims to cut toxic fat

The Live Lighter campaign will take people inside the human body to show the internal dangers of being overweight.

The best and worst month of my life

A new mum's first month of motherhood didn't pan out as expected when she lost a family member weeks after her baby's birth.

Facebook and Apple offer to pay female staff to freeze their eggs

Facebook and Apple are hoping to provide women with the freedom to build their careers without the added pressure of having children at or by a certain age.

How a pregnancy contract could work for you and your partner

The idea of making a 'pregnancy contract' with your partner may sound a bit silly at first, but it can help make the transition to parenthood a lot smoother.

Finding a mum-friendly personal trainer

Burping babies vs burpees – yes, new mums and personal trainers live in different worlds. But they can work together - once you find the right match for you and your lifestyle.

Alleged baby snatch incident a ?misunderstanding?, say police

Police say that an incident in which a man pulled on a woman?s pram while walking a popular Sydney route late last month was a misunderstanding.

Ebola killed my aunt and is shutting down my country

Three weeks ago, my auntie, a midwife, developed a fever. Sitting here in Sydney basked in Australian sunshine, that shouldn't be big news.

The night my ovary burst

One mum shares her frightening experience and vows to never take her health for granted again.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

The 'yucky' illness that took over my life

I have a chronic illness nobody likes to discuss, as it involves toilet talk. But it needs to be talked about.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.