Has anyone been to Costco lately
Want to buy a few more Xmas presents

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Leha

Posted 11 December 2012 - 04:01 PM

I am thinking about heading to Costco this week to buy some more presents for my kids.

Has anyone bought any toys from there?  Any good bargains?

What things did you buy and how much were they? My kids are 2 and 4 so looking for a few ideas.

#2 Gumbette

Posted 11 December 2012 - 04:07 PM

Nothing remarkable in the confectionary department. There were heaps of toys around though I didn't check the prices sorry.  It was ridiculously busy though even in the middle if the week

Edited by Gumbette, 11 December 2012 - 04:09 PM.

#3 Leha

Posted 11 December 2012 - 04:10 PM

Thanks gumbette

I should have added that I am also interested in any other non toy bargains

#4 Gumbette

Posted 11 December 2012 - 04:32 PM

I picked up 2 bottles of Mo√ęt for $50 each, was well as a 2 litre tub of Jalna for $9  ph34r.gif

#5 FeralSis

Posted 11 December 2012 - 04:37 PM

Sorry to hijack thread but am I mad to go for first time to  Costco Sydney tomorrow?

I want to buy some yummies and just see what else catches my eye?

RDS

Edited by SensibleSis, 11 December 2012 - 04:40 PM.

#6 Gumbette

Posted 11 December 2012 - 04:42 PM

We went in the middle of the day on a Tuesday and it was crazy. Usually in the middle of the week the lower level of the car park is almost empty, this time when we left, there were people waiting for our spot. if you got there super early or around 3pm when people leave to pick their kids up from school it might be quieter?

#7 Leha

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:18 PM

Anyone else???

#8 Pretz

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:28 PM

They have really nice foil wrapping paper packs.

The Kirkland Belgian chocolate boxes are so yum!!! They're in the confectionary aisle and include two trays of chocolates.  $18

Also, the Kirkland European cookie selection tin is awesome. It is in a pretty red tin and has two trays of cookies that are separately wrapped to maintain freshness. They use Belgian chocolate I believe. They are $16. Well worth the buy.

The Ghirardelli peppermint bark is also great. Really nice white chocolate mixed with peppermint pieces and has either a milk or dark base. ($15?)

(can you tell that I'm a chocoholic?)

Unfortunately I didn't get to check the toys as I visited with grandpa who whines constantly that my son has too many toys rolleyes.gif

#9 What'sNext??

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:32 PM

I went last Friday.  Arrived 10:15am and it was seriously packed.  Outrageously so.  

I got a Disney backpack for $17.  They had usual mr potato head, a massive Barbie camper $149 I think, Lego, supersize princess dolls, some cool trucks for little kids, remote control cars for older kids. A couple of things I had on my list were already sold out.

They had bottles on mumm champagne with 2 glasses for $41 I think.  And they have all the Lindt of course- though I think Coles/Safeway specials recently were equivalent.  Levi men's tshirts for $16/17.

Overall though it was just a harrowing experience- it was impossible to move through the place.  So be prepared for it to be a more drawn out process than usual.  I didn't get several things I needed as it was just too hard and I couldn't stand it anymore.  A friend went last Monday and even that was bad.

Good luck!

#10 threelittlegems

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:39 PM

Costco is insane in Melbourne.

On Friday, I tried to go there at 2pm, there is usually a lull at that time, and the carpark was full.

On Monday, I got there at 9.45am , and STILL had to line up for the carpark, although I was in and parked by 9.55am with opening time of 10am.

I had a bit of a giggle at the elderly couple sitting in the best car park drinking their coffee from their flagon - I wonder what time they got there?

I was going for our normal business things, but was convinced to buy a Kidcraft trainset for $160. It was the trainset (tracks etc, plus 24 pieces of men / signs  etc and the table it sits on).

I noticed a Kidcraft Dollhouse which I would have paid $200 for from Amazon if shipping wasn't $300, for $99 !

I also got some baby Disney dolls which I have previously purchased from online overseas stores and haven't seen in Australia before.

To be honest, I wouldn't go to Costco just to join and grab a massive bargain for Christmas because they have limited toy stocks. However, overall Costco has great products - their meat and produce is fantastic quality and price, as is many of their home brand household items. If you are near one, or think you would often go, then a membership is well worth it.

I have an accommodation business, and go for a mix of personal / business. What I normally buy from Costco, and will not buy from anywhere else are:

- steaks (OMG - anyone can cook their steaks and they will be beautiful)
- chicken breast always $9.99 per kilo
- fantastic pizzas for $16 that seriously will not fit in your fridge or oven - you need to cut them in half
- trays of seasonal produce (mangos, grapes, strawberries etc always a good price)

- toilet paper / ziplock bags / garbage bags / kitchen tidy bags / washing powder / laundry softner / cleaning cloths/white king

- I love their clothes hangers - really nice black velvet at $24 for 50
- quality white towels in packs of 6 for $30 (ie $5 each and they are better IMO than any towels you can buy anywhere else)
- unbelieveable quality packs of 2 facewashers / 2 handtowels for $7 - that is less than $2 per item

They also have great bargains on high end wine.

Honestly, you can buy anything in Costco from six boxes of U tampons, to a generator, to a washing machine, to a 10 kg bag of rice, to surfboards, to 2kg of potatoes, to a bag of crisps that after ten people have eaten their fill, there is more left in the bag!

Everything is always a good price. Sometimes an awesome price, but always a good price.

But the reason I go back is because I particularly like a lot of their Homebrand products, and their meat and produce.

Edited by threelittlegems, 11 December 2012 - 06:43 PM.

#11 Halcyon~

We got the wooden dolls high chair and cradle

#12 credence

I am so glad that I did my Christmas shopping there about a month ago! It sounds way too busy now.

But when I was there I picked up some awesome double sided wrapping paper that I will be using for the next 5 years I reckon. The roll is so long and it was only $5-$6.

They had some nice toy sets for boys and girls for about $30 - $50 that would make excellent presents. Lots of those great $15 die cast cars.

I actually bought books for all the kiddies in my family. There were some great sets for around $20.

#13 #YKG

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:41 PM

IM going Friday nite. I have found if you go between 5 & 8pm it's quiet but because it's coming up to Christmas this may change. They have ham on the bone for $7.26 per kilo.

#14 threelittlegems

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:45 PM

HI YKG,

I think I remember you live in Melbourne. All my normal quiet times at Costco have been crazy, so I hope its ok for you on Friday night !

#15 Zephie Chugger

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:54 PM

Ive found best time to go 5-5.30 Monday night, the window will last for about a hour.

#16 #YKG

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:58 PM

Little gem yep I'm in Melbourne, kinda scared but Friday nite hehe hoping everyone else is at shopping centers instead of Costco original.gif

#17 FeralSis

Posted 12 December 2012 - 01:00 PM

Just got home from Costco Sydney.

Got there about 10:00 and got a parking spot no problem. A couple of hours later and the cp was bedlam.

Inside the store was busy but manageable.

I had my 13 mo with me and it was fine.

As for toys, there were lots of Barbie things and some cars etc but not nearly as much of a selection as I thought there would be.

Got some great.confectionery and nuts etc.

All in all it was fun and worth it. I'll go again in a few months.

#18 Leha

Posted 12 December 2012 - 07:54 PM

Thanks everyone. I'm going tomorrow and will ge there before 10 and just wait until it opens.

Wish me luck  original.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Australia's top baby names of 2014

The numbers have been crunched and it's official: Australian parents are having a bit of an 'O' moment.

As a guilty mum: the best advice for treating head lice

Just like a horror movie ... THEY'RE BAAAAAACK. So what works in treating and avoiding head lice and nits?

No, having a dog is not like having a human child

It's obvious these people dote on their pets, but they're barking up the wrong tree.

Confirmed: Kate Middleton is in labour

The Duchess of Cambridge is in the early stages of labor at St Mary's Hospital.

Baby-led weaning worked for us

My baby wasn't interested in food - until we tried something new. Now she's eating it all, and it often comes from my plate.

Parenting an early walker

Watching your child take their first wobbly steps is one of the best parenting highs you'll ever experience. But with that high comes a new reality.

Overdue and over it

A watched womb never labours ... or at least mine didn't.

Seven questions you should be asking about your health cover

If the last time you assessed your health cover was five years ago, there?s a chance it may no longer suit your needs. To ensure it?s still right for your family, click here for seven questions to ask.

'Paralysed bride' becomes a mum

Rachelle Friedman Chapman was preparing to marry the man of her dreams when tragedy struck four years ago.

Why the royal baby will look more like Prince Philip than Prince William

No matter what the occasion the world always seems to be waiting for Prince William and Kate Middleton.

Surprise baby born on toilet

Discovering your wife has just given birth on the toilet would be a surprise for anyone. But the shock would be even greater if neither you or your partner knew you were expecting a baby.

5 spooky photos with babies and children

These five photos show some ghostly images - but are they real? Do you believe in the spirit world?

Does it matter how much time you spend with your children?

Does spending more time with your kids help their development? This is a more complex topic than it may seem.

Rare condition diagnosed during optional scan

A mother who opted for a 4D scan late in pregnancy discovered her unborn baby had a rare brain disorder.

Cleveland captives speak about their decade of terror - and their futures

"I think we were just tired of people talking, trying to tell our stories, and they had no idea, no clue, what we went through."

Proof it's impossible to not join in a toddler's laughter

They say laughter is the best medicine. If that's true Tom Fletcher and his son should live long, healthy lives.

How I really feel about my drug-free birth

Do I feel 'smug'? No. Nor do I feel remotely superior. Each birth was valid and valuable in its own right, producing, as it did, a healthy baby.

How to talk about your pregnancy at work

The workplace isn't always a friendly place for pregnant women. Yet working women inclined to conceal a pregnancy from prying coworkers may be better off opening up and carrying on, according to a new study.

Tell us your story to win!

To celebrate Mother's Day this year we are giving you the chance to win one of five great prizes simply by telling us your story.

The Goss

Sonia Kruger: 'One baby is enough'

The popular TV host has no plans for a sibling for her new daughter Maggie.

Where to get help to help your baby sleep

There is so much pressure about having a baby who sleeps 'all night' , it's no wonder you worry about your baby if she wakes in the night.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Playtime guide:

A new area on our site for all your playtime and learning fun with baby - specially brought to you by Fisher-Price Play IQ?. PLUS your chance to win a year's supply of toys.

Celebrate being a mum with Offspring

This Mother's Day, treat yourself to possibly winning an ultimate Mother's Day gift pack valued at $250 including the Offspring Box Set. Enter now!

Vintage baby names having a comeback

What makes some names have comebacks while others silently fade into oblivion? A few factors come into play.

How to play with your newborn

Even though they're immobile and can't speak, there are plenty of ways you can engage and communicate with your newborn to stimulate their physical, cognitive and emotional development.

Mum of six faked cancer to get donations, police claim

Elizabeth Edmonds' husband posted some devastating news on Facebook last year.

I'll admit it: I have last child parenting fatigue

If you're a new mum and feeling ignored by the older mum/the old hand/the has-been, please know, it's not you, it's me. Blame the last child parenting fatigue.

Cobie Smulders speaks about her battle with ovarian cancer

The 'How I Met Your Mother' star has revealed that she was diagnosed with ovarian cancer at 25 - and was told she'd never conceive naturally.

Essentials your child needs to grow

What does your baby need to grow up healthy? The experts give their advice.

Coroner warns of 'dangerous' cot

A UK coroner has warned of the dangers of a bedside cot after the death of a newborn baby who choked to death this month.

Building your baby's emotional and social skills through play

Babies are social beings who enjoy being around people they know and love, especially you.

Why suicide prevention is everybody's responsibility

Everyone agrees we need to do more to care for people at risk from suicide, the problem is what.

Exhaustion is not the same as tiredness

Having a new baby isn't tiring - it can be downright exhausting.

Five posterior babies, four home births

I was on a high. I'd done it all by myself with no help from anyone.

Mum's list of birthday gift demands goes viral

We're big fans of kids' birthday parties - but this is one bash we're glad we didn't get an invite to.

Kate Middleton to receive 'loyalty discount' for second birth

Everybody loves a bargain - including the Duchess of Cambridge.

Fish & chip shop owner's sad note goes viral

A lengthy note put on the window of a fish & chip shop has gone viral due to the writer's serious doubts about the romance of travel.

Pregnant women need good nutrition advice, not judgment

Pregnant women are under pressure to do all the "right things" to have a healthy child. It results in women feeling judged about their decisions.

William Tyrrell's mum speaks out: 'We hope he is still alive'

The mother of missing toddler William Tyrrell says she has a vision that somebody "picked him up and moved him on ... that's the only way ... to explain for him not to be there".

Family comes first for 23-year-old Tommy Connolly

Most 23-year-old blokes spend their hard earned cash on fun times with mates or romantic dinners with their girlfriend, but not Tommy Connolly.

Newborn all-girl quintuplets 'doing great'

The first all-female quintuplets born in the United States were delivered last week, at 28 weeks and two days.

53 creative pregnancy announcements

Announcing that you're expecting can be a time to express your creativity, sense of humour and imagination. Check out how other parents and parents-to-be have broken the news to friends and family.

IKEA hacks for the nursery and kids' rooms

Are you one of those that know the whole IKEA catalogue by heart? Love their stuff but want to personalise it? Here's some inspiration to help you realise the potential of IKEA furniture and fittings.

Top baby names

Baby Names

The numbers are in and we can now bring you the 2014 top baby name list for Australia.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.