Has anyone been to Costco lately
Want to buy a few more Xmas presents

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Leha

Posted 11 December 2012 - 04:01 PM

I am thinking about heading to Costco this week to buy some more presents for my kids.

Has anyone bought any toys from there?  Any good bargains?

What things did you buy and how much were they? My kids are 2 and 4 so looking for a few ideas.

#2 Gumbette

Posted 11 December 2012 - 04:07 PM

Nothing remarkable in the confectionary department. There were heaps of toys around though I didn't check the prices sorry.  It was ridiculously busy though even in the middle if the week

Edited by Gumbette, 11 December 2012 - 04:09 PM.

#3 Leha

Posted 11 December 2012 - 04:10 PM

Thanks gumbette

I should have added that I am also interested in any other non toy bargains

#4 Gumbette

Posted 11 December 2012 - 04:32 PM

I picked up 2 bottles of Mo√ęt for $50 each, was well as a 2 litre tub of Jalna for $9  ph34r.gif

#5 FeralSis

Posted 11 December 2012 - 04:37 PM

Sorry to hijack thread but am I mad to go for first time to  Costco Sydney tomorrow?

I want to buy some yummies and just see what else catches my eye?

RDS

Edited by SensibleSis, 11 December 2012 - 04:40 PM.

#6 Gumbette

Posted 11 December 2012 - 04:42 PM

We went in the middle of the day on a Tuesday and it was crazy. Usually in the middle of the week the lower level of the car park is almost empty, this time when we left, there were people waiting for our spot. if you got there super early or around 3pm when people leave to pick their kids up from school it might be quieter?

#7 Leha

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:18 PM

Anyone else???

#8 Pretz

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:28 PM

They have really nice foil wrapping paper packs.

The Kirkland Belgian chocolate boxes are so yum!!! They're in the confectionary aisle and include two trays of chocolates.  $18

Also, the Kirkland European cookie selection tin is awesome. It is in a pretty red tin and has two trays of cookies that are separately wrapped to maintain freshness. They use Belgian chocolate I believe. They are $16. Well worth the buy.

The Ghirardelli peppermint bark is also great. Really nice white chocolate mixed with peppermint pieces and has either a milk or dark base. ($15?)

(can you tell that I'm a chocoholic?)

Unfortunately I didn't get to check the toys as I visited with grandpa who whines constantly that my son has too many toys rolleyes.gif

#9 What'sNext??

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:32 PM

I went last Friday.  Arrived 10:15am and it was seriously packed.  Outrageously so.  

I got a Disney backpack for $17.  They had usual mr potato head, a massive Barbie camper $149 I think, Lego, supersize princess dolls, some cool trucks for little kids, remote control cars for older kids. A couple of things I had on my list were already sold out.

They had bottles on mumm champagne with 2 glasses for $41 I think.  And they have all the Lindt of course- though I think Coles/Safeway specials recently were equivalent.  Levi men's tshirts for $16/17.

Overall though it was just a harrowing experience- it was impossible to move through the place.  So be prepared for it to be a more drawn out process than usual.  I didn't get several things I needed as it was just too hard and I couldn't stand it anymore.  A friend went last Monday and even that was bad.

Good luck!

#10 threelittlegems

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:39 PM

Costco is insane in Melbourne.

On Friday, I tried to go there at 2pm, there is usually a lull at that time, and the carpark was full.

On Monday, I got there at 9.45am , and STILL had to line up for the carpark, although I was in and parked by 9.55am with opening time of 10am.

I had a bit of a giggle at the elderly couple sitting in the best car park drinking their coffee from their flagon - I wonder what time they got there?

I was going for our normal business things, but was convinced to buy a Kidcraft trainset for $160. It was the trainset (tracks etc, plus 24 pieces of men / signs  etc and the table it sits on).

I noticed a Kidcraft Dollhouse which I would have paid $200 for from Amazon if shipping wasn't $300, for $99 !

I also got some baby Disney dolls which I have previously purchased from online overseas stores and haven't seen in Australia before.

To be honest, I wouldn't go to Costco just to join and grab a massive bargain for Christmas because they have limited toy stocks. However, overall Costco has great products - their meat and produce is fantastic quality and price, as is many of their home brand household items. If you are near one, or think you would often go, then a membership is well worth it.

I have an accommodation business, and go for a mix of personal / business. What I normally buy from Costco, and will not buy from anywhere else are:

- steaks (OMG - anyone can cook their steaks and they will be beautiful)
- chicken breast always $9.99 per kilo
- fantastic pizzas for $16 that seriously will not fit in your fridge or oven - you need to cut them in half
- trays of seasonal produce (mangos, grapes, strawberries etc always a good price)

- toilet paper / ziplock bags / garbage bags / kitchen tidy bags / washing powder / laundry softner / cleaning cloths/white king

- I love their clothes hangers - really nice black velvet at $24 for 50
- quality white towels in packs of 6 for $30 (ie $5 each and they are better IMO than any towels you can buy anywhere else)
- unbelieveable quality packs of 2 facewashers / 2 handtowels for $7 - that is less than $2 per item

They also have great bargains on high end wine.

Honestly, you can buy anything in Costco from six boxes of U tampons, to a generator, to a washing machine, to a 10 kg bag of rice, to surfboards, to 2kg of potatoes, to a bag of crisps that after ten people have eaten their fill, there is more left in the bag!

Everything is always a good price. Sometimes an awesome price, but always a good price.

But the reason I go back is because I particularly like a lot of their Homebrand products, and their meat and produce.

Edited by threelittlegems, 11 December 2012 - 06:43 PM.

#11 Halcyon~

We got the wooden dolls high chair and cradle

#12 credence

I am so glad that I did my Christmas shopping there about a month ago! It sounds way too busy now.

But when I was there I picked up some awesome double sided wrapping paper that I will be using for the next 5 years I reckon. The roll is so long and it was only $5-$6.

They had some nice toy sets for boys and girls for about $30 - $50 that would make excellent presents. Lots of those great $15 die cast cars.

I actually bought books for all the kiddies in my family. There were some great sets for around $20.

#13 YellowKittyGlenn

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:41 PM

IM going Friday nite. I have found if you go between 5 & 8pm it's quiet but because it's coming up to Christmas this may change. They have ham on the bone for $7.26 per kilo.

#14 threelittlegems

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:45 PM

HI YKG,

I think I remember you live in Melbourne. All my normal quiet times at Costco have been crazy, so I hope its ok for you on Friday night !

#15 Zephie Chugger

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:54 PM

Ive found best time to go 5-5.30 Monday night, the window will last for about a hour.

#16 YellowKittyGlenn

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:58 PM

Little gem yep I'm in Melbourne, kinda scared but Friday nite hehe hoping everyone else is at shopping centers instead of Costco original.gif

#17 FeralSis

Posted 12 December 2012 - 01:00 PM

Just got home from Costco Sydney.

Got there about 10:00 and got a parking spot no problem. A couple of hours later and the cp was bedlam.

Inside the store was busy but manageable.

I had my 13 mo with me and it was fine.

As for toys, there were lots of Barbie things and some cars etc but not nearly as much of a selection as I thought there would be.

Got some great.confectionery and nuts etc.

All in all it was fun and worth it. I'll go again in a few months.

#18 Leha

Posted 12 December 2012 - 07:54 PM

Thanks everyone. I'm going tomorrow and will ge there before 10 and just wait until it opens.

Wish me luck  original.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

How a pregnancy contract could work for you and your partner

The idea of making a 'pregnancy contract' with your partner may sound a bit silly at first, but it can help make the transition to parenthood a lot smoother.

Finding a mum-friendly personal trainer

Burping babies vs burpees – yes, new mums and personal trainers live in different worlds. But they can work together - once you find the right match for you and your lifestyle.

Ambulance service under fire: baby seats to go, response times 'worse than ever'

The NSW Ambulance Service is removing child-safety seats from ambulances, while the Victorian service is facing criticism over lengthy response times following the death of a three-year-old.

Alleged baby snatch incident a ?misunderstanding?, say police

Police say that an incident in which a man pulled on a woman?s pram while walking a popular Sydney route late last month was a misunderstanding.

Ebola killed my aunt and is shutting down my country

Three weeks ago, my auntie, a midwife, developed a fever. Sitting here in Sydney basked in Australian sunshine, that shouldn't be big news.

The night my ovary burst

One mum shares her frightening experience and vows to never take her health for granted again.

Is e-reading to your toddler story time or just screen time?

When reading increasingly means swiping pages on a device, and we're advised to read to their children early and often, should parents be turning to e-readers for storytime?

Community mourns inspiring young dad

A young dad who fought a five-year battle with cancer has been remembered for his inspiring legacy at a funeral service attended by hundreds of family and friends this week.

Meningococcal kills Queensland toddler

Public health authorities say the death of a toddler in north Queensland from meningococcal disease highlights the danger the illness poses.

Nicole Kidman: 'I hope every month that I'm pregnant'

Nicole Kidman is hoping to add to her family, but says she's doubtful it will happen.

Recall: Aldi Wooden London Bus play set

Aldi has announced a recall of their popular Wooden London Bus play set.

Great gift ideas for first birthdays

From soft toys to balance bikes, here are some great ideas for first birthday gifts.

Mum learnt she was pregnant hours before giving birth

Kim Walsh arrived at the doctor with abdominal cramps. Hours later, she was cradling the baby experts told her she could never have.

How cancer has made me a better, happier person

I'm a far better person post-cancer than I ever was before. The goal now is to stay around long enough to find out who I can become, and what I can achieve.

Pete Evans says a paleo diet can prevent autism. He's wrong

Pete Evans is not a paediatrician or even a nutritionist or dietitian. So why should we believe his extreme views and remove food groups from our children's diets over the advice from those more qualified?

Let's get back to commonsense parenting

Forget the new 'Lawnmower' parenting trend; try using plain old-fashioned commonsense instead.

Woman sues after having a mixed-race baby

A US woman is suing a sperm bank after it sent her vials from African-American man, instead of the white donor she had selected.

Bonding ideas dad will love

Dad may not say it, but he could be feeling lost, confused and seriously left out. However, there are lots of things new fathers can do to be more included in the excitement of pregnancy and new parenthood.

The house that hope built for childhood cancer

Baby Laelani Baker was diagnosed with cancer before she was even born. Her heartbreaking story is just one of the reasons the Build for a Cure project is raising money for vital research into childhood cancer.

Does stay-at-home parenting get better?

Parenting doesn’t ever get easier; the challenges just change. But the challenges of caring for young children definitely lessens as they get older.

Inquest into the short and tragic life of Chloe Valentine

As the first phase of an inquest into the death of Chloe Valentine drew to a close, there was no doubt Chloe's life was marred by appalling neglect.

When mothers kill

The act of killing one's child is unthinkable for most, and a mother who kills her offspring has a special power to inspire shock and revulsion.

6 beauty tips for tired mums

For those of us with young children, eight hours sleep is a distant memory. And while we can’t do much to secure more shut-eye, there are some ways to fake it.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

A year without Vicki

Vicki had a three-month-old son when she first felt something wasn't right. She was gone within a year.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.