I can't find the thread about back yard nudity.
Article might interest OPer

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#1 babatjie

Posted 11 December 2012 - 02:00 PM

I was reading a light hearted thread about a poster who had problems with neighbours watching them through their window. Her husband strolled around in the nude. Some posters said he shouldn't as a warning. Just thought the link below might be of interest to the OP but I can't find the thread. Thanks original.gif

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/2012/1...mp;mchpost=pos3

Edited by babatjie, 11 December 2012 - 02:00 PM.

#2 qak

Posted 11 December 2012 - 02:05 PM

Wow - the guy was nude inside his house and got in trouble!

#3 BetteBoop

Posted 11 December 2012 - 02:16 PM

QUOTE (qak @ 11/12/2012, 02:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wow - the guy was nude inside his house and got in trouble!

Yes, geography is not the issue. If you can be observed by your neighbours, then you're in a public place and public indecency laws apply.

The OPs husband in that thread could be prosecuted if the neighbours complained. Which is what I'd be doing if mine was the child he was flashing.

#4 babatjie

Posted 11 December 2012 - 02:19 PM

Has anybody had luck finding the thread. I can never get the search function to work.

#5 MGB

Posted 11 December 2012 - 02:21 PM

QUOTE (babatjie @ 11/12/2012, 03:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Has anybody had luck finding the thread. I can never get the search function to work.

I think it was deleted.

#6 Cacti

Posted 11 December 2012 - 02:21 PM

I thought of that thread when I read the article too!

#7 fionah

Posted 11 December 2012 - 02:22 PM

Yep. It was deleted. Troll.

Fi

#8 Grobanite

The judge saw common sense and let the poor guy off. The women in the news article is such a prude. I can't believe she got the police involved.
I would be telling my kids not to look and If I was offended I wouldn't look either.
Seriously what has the world come too?

ETA this happened in Cairns and let me tell you it gets really hot and sticky up here and sometimes you want to go with out clothes.

Edited by Grobanite, 11 December 2012 - 02:23 PM.

#9 babatjie

QUOTE (Mrs Mel @ 11/12/2012, 03:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think it was deleted.

Oh well. Hopefully she sees this thread or the article.

#10 Tigerdog

Posted 11 December 2012 - 02:24 PM

It's one thing to be deliberately parading it in front of children but in the other thread the neighbours were deliberately looking out the window and perving (which then prompted the OP's husband to consider deliberate parading - good luck for the neighbours to prove it, especially when they were the ones choosing to look!).

Edited by Tigerdog, 11 December 2012 - 02:25 PM.

#11 4kidlets

Posted 11 December 2012 - 02:25 PM

It got deleted - mods said the OP was a troll.

http://www.essentialkids.com.au/forums/ind...owtopic=1035071

#12 Paddlepop

Posted 11 December 2012 - 02:25 PM

Thread link:
http://www.essentialkids.com.au/forums/ind...1035071&hl=

Confirmed as a troll by the mods.

Snap 4kidlets!

Edited by Paddlepop, 11 December 2012 - 02:26 PM.

#13 BetteBoop

Posted 11 December 2012 - 02:26 PM

QUOTE (Grobanite @ 11/12/2012, 02:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The judge saw common sense and let the poor guy off. The women in the news article is such a prude. I can't believe she got the police involved.
I would be telling my kids not to look and If I was offended I wouldn't look either.
Seriously what has the world come too?

Err, no. He was convicted. He simply wasn't listed as a sex offender.

What the world is coming to is that you can't expect your neighbours with small children to not look outside their windows for fear of seeing you naked.

And I guess, given you're not a prude that if your kids saw a flasher on the street you would just tell them to look away and not call the police?

#14 Caitlin Happymeal

Posted 11 December 2012 - 02:27 PM

So the other day when i did a nudie run to get my clothes, and forgot my bedroom curtains were open, and my across the road neighbours saw me, apart from being super embarrassing, was also illegal? Oops!

#15 babatjie

Posted 11 December 2012 - 02:28 PM

Thank you. Seems I didn't need to be concerned about it!

Also, I didn't mean to discuss a closed thread. Honest mistake. Mods close please if necessary.

Edited by babatjie, 11 December 2012 - 02:29 PM.

#16 Grobanite

Posted 11 December 2012 - 02:28 PM

No conviction was recorded.

http://www.cairns.com.au/article/2012/12/1...local-news.html

And I guess, given you're not a prude that if your kids saw a flasher on the street you would just tell them to look away and not call the police?

If a person was running up the street naked my kids would probably laugh.

If a person deliberately came up to kids and flashed or was touching himself while looking at my kids yeah I would call the police.

I would definately not get the police involved of it was my next door neighbour unless he was doing some of the sexual things as stated above.

Edited by Grobanite, 11 December 2012 - 02:33 PM.

#17 Cranky Old Woman

Posted 11 December 2012 - 02:30 PM

QUOTE (4kidlets @ 11/12/2012, 03:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It got deleted - mods said the OP was a troll.

http://www.essentialkids.com.au/forums/ind...owtopic=1035071

So much imagination going to waste. rolleyes.gif

#18 Bam1

Posted 11 December 2012 - 02:32 PM

QUOTE (BetteBoop @ 11/12/2012, 03:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There is a huge difference between being nude in your own home and being a flasher on the street.

#19 BetteBoop

Posted 11 December 2012 - 02:33 PM

QUOTE (Grobanite @ 11/12/2012, 02:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

He was still convicted, hence being sentenced to a good behaviour bond. The fact that no conviction was recorded was so he wouldn't be put on the sex offender registry as the children were very young.

He will still have a conviction on his criminal record.

#20 BetteBoop

Posted 11 December 2012 - 03:47 PM

QUOTE (Madame Catty @ 11/12/2012, 03:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is not the same thing.  A guy walking around his house naked is doing so expecting privacy.  A flasher is a getting off sexually or whatever; he wants to be seen.

I would have no problem my kids seeing a man naked in his own house going about his business.  I'd slap a pervert in the face if he flashed my kids.

From the article -

He was not expecting privacy. He was persistently exposing himself to his neighbour and her young children.

The man pleaded guilty to doing an indecent act to offend others and exposing himself to children.
"You knew that your next-door neighbour did not like this, particularly as it seems she had young children," Judge Everson told the man in Cairns District Court.
"Your offending was in the nature of being a persistent nuisance."

It makes my skin crawl that mothers are lining up to trivialise this kind of behaviour. Generally speaking, people who deliberately expose themselves to kids are predators. But we're so worried about oppressing the rights of men that what we should tell our kids is to look away. Don't make a fuss. Be polite.

These are the precise opposite messages to what I will give my child.

#21 qak

Posted 11 December 2012 - 03:57 PM

But everyone should be able to walk around naked in their own home surely?  If the neighbour & the kids saw it they were looking into his windows ... although I suppose he could have closed the curtains?

ETA: and the neighbours could have closed their curtains???

Edited by qak, 11 December 2012 - 04:00 PM.

#22 joeyn

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:24 PM

Why didn't the mother speak to the man and ask for him to put curtains on his windows, or negotiate a screen on their mutual fence to screen his windows from their view?
Much better option than involving the police.

I am lucky to live out of sight of my neighbours, unless they have binoculars.. nudie run for undies here is usually out to the washline!

#23 jessie123

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:53 PM

QUOTE (BetteBoop @ 11/12/2012, 04:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
He was not expecting privacy. He was persistently exposing himself to his neighbour and her young children.

It makes my skin crawl that mothers are lining up to trivialise this kind of behaviour. Generally speaking, people who deliberately expose themselves to kids are predators. But we're so worried about oppressing the rights of men that what we should tell our kids is to look away. Don't make a fuss. Be polite.

These are the precise opposite messages to what I will give my child.

I said this in the first thread and will say it again.

Growing up we had a neighbour that exposed himself. We were on a slope and looked down into his backyard. If we wanted to play out the back there was no much we could do to escape him. He would come outside when we were there.

Of course he didn't just start off doing this it was a gradual approach. Overtime he would masturbate and yes we went to the police and they paid him a visit.

I would question why anyone wants to continue to expose themselves to a child knowingly.

#24 FeralSingleMum

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:08 PM

A person should be able to walk around naked in their own house. I'm not sure if this man was doing it to annoy her or because he likes walking around naked.

I'm not sure why people are up in arms, they were "fleeting and non sexual", its not like he was standing in the windown going "Woo woo" and shaking his naked body, it seemed to me like he was walking around his private residence naked. I do a nude run from time to time and haven't thought twice.

#25 BetteBoop

Posted 11 December 2012 - 10:44 PM

QUOTE (jessie123 @ 11/12/2012, 08:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I said this in the first thread and will say it again.

Growing up we had a neighbour that exposed himself. We were on a slope and looked down into his backyard. If we wanted to play out the back there was no much we could do to escape him. He would come outside when we were there.

Of course he didn't just start off doing this it was a gradual approach. Overtime he would masturbate and yes we went to the police and they paid him a visit.

I would question why anyone wants to continue to expose themselves to a child knowingly.

Because they have a right to be predators in their own homes is the logic in this thread.

And also, you should have looked away, or your mother should have built a fence or put up curtains or torn out your eyeballs. Anything is reasonable - except expecting a predator to stop exposing himself to children.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Teaching our son to say no to violence against women

Today, on White Ribbon Day - and every other day - we're teaching our son to say no to violence against women.

Mothers told to breastfeed in 'spacious' toilet

If there is one thing the owners of Tillings Cafe can be certain of, it is that the eatery won't win the award for Britain's best baby-friendly coffee shop any time soon.

Mother gives name to son dumped down drain

A woman who admitted to dumping her newborn baby down a Sydney drain has reportedly been allowed to give him a name.

Taking small steps to reduce stress

Are you feeling used up by life's stress, family problems and a demanding job you can't turn off? Many people are way beyond work-life exhaustion. They are functioning as robots.

Bad news: we're running out of chocolate

The world's biggest chocolate-maker says we're running out of chocolate.

Born at 23 weeks, 'Chopstick Baby' survives first week

A baby who was born at 23 weeks has survived her first week of life outside the womb.

Manic stations: the nesting instinct in pregnancy

It might sound like temporary insanity, but almost obsessive nesting as you near your due date isn’t uncommon – even if you’re not usually a particularly clean person.

How a baby can survive alone for days on end

The baby found abandoned in a Sydney drain may have been alone for up to six days without being fed, leaving many asking how he could have survived.

When it begins to look a lot like Christmas

A child's excitement at Christmas time is a beautiful thing, but one dad ponders whether his toddler daughter is getting into the festive mood a bit too soon.

Hospital lets dads the experience some of the pain of childbirth

A new experience is radically altering men's views of childbirth.

Italian doctors questioned over formula bribes

Italian police have placed 12 doctors under house arrest on suspicion of promoting baby milk formula over breastfeeding.

Heartwarming prank gives single mum the house she was hired to clean

Cara Simmons arrived at work to clean a large and beautiful house in time for a party planned for that evening. It was soon hers.

Those special moments of sibling bonding

Every now and then your child does or says something that is truly memorable.

Why we should stop telling new parents to 'enjoy every moment'

A few weeks ago, some dear friends of mine had their first baby. As the proud dad texted me a picture I had to fight the natural instinct to say “Enjoy every moment!”

Baby monitor footage posted online

Footage of Australian babies and children sleeping in their bedrooms are among the images on a Russian site showing live feeds from thousands of homes and businesses around the world.

Did this new dad really hit on his wife's midwife?

Was there really a man who was actually there by his wife’s side as she laboured and gave birth to his child, all while he was making what he perceived to be meaningful eye contact with a midwife?

Keep calm and ignore the Tantrum Trolls

Tantrum Trolls are a small but growing species of predatory bottom-feeders who delight in picking on parents at their most vulnerable.

It's okay to never 'get over' the death of a loved one

The death of children, siblings, and parents has long term impacts on the rest of our lives.

What Mark Latham needs to know about depression and motherhood

Love has nothing to do with mental illness. But love may drive a mother to do something about it.

'We're just trying to keep our child alive': life with FPIES

We have a beautiful seven-month-old son, and his allergy rules our life.

Transgender dad breastfeeds his babies

A transgender man who breastfed his first baby - despite having his breasts removed as part of his transformation from female to male - has now had a second child.

Couple face $1 million medical bill and bankruptcy after babymoon birth

A Canadian couple were slammed with a million dollar medical bill after their daughter was prematurely during their babymoon.

Cigarettes, junk food dominate supermarket sales growth

One in every five dollars spent at supermarkets goes on cigarettes or junk food, according to industry data.

Teacher under fire for breastfeeding in class

There is no doubt mums have a right to continue breastfeeding after they have returned to work, but one teacher in the US has taken it to the extreme.

Win a family pass to Disney Live!

We have 4 family passes to give away to see Disney Live! presents Three Classic Fairy Tales, touring Australia this December/January.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Join PADDINGTON on the red carpet!

To celebrate the release of PADDINGTON, we are giving five lucky winners the chance to win a family pass to the exclusive Australian Premiere in Sydney on December 7!

The tragedy of losing a favourite teddy bear

We were green and uninitiated, perhaps a little naïve when it came to the favourite toy responsibility.

Video: Baby sniffs beardless dad to make sure it's him

She looks him up and down and then touches his chin, but baby Lindsey still isn't sure this clean-shaven man is her dad.

It's possible to workout while pregnant

Medical experts say intense fitness routines can be done safely during pregnancy - if the mums-to-be follow some guidelines.

What parents really want for their kids

Are our hopes, dreams and expectations for our children what they really need?

'I had a feeling something was seriously wrong'

Before even giving birth, Katie Myers' maternal instincts warned her something was wrong with her baby.

When your pregnancy causes a relationship rift

Some dads-to-be don't miss a beat when their partner is pregnant; others struggle with a range of issues and can become withdrawn, right when their support is needed most.

Couple uses group photo trick to announce pregnancy to loved ones

Katharine and Kris Camilli devised a clever trick to immortalise their family and friends' reactions to their exciting pregnancy news.

Why Tracey Spicer has given up make-up

"After 30 years on television, I had become what I despised: a painted doll who spent an hour a day and close to $200 a week putting on a mask."

Knowing you are one of the lucky ones

I am secure, confident and strong, but the responsibility of protecting my children can almost bring me undone.

Why I am so emotional now I have kids?

There are so many ways in which parenthood changes us as women, but one of the most noticeable, for me, has been the changing state of my emotions.

Baby survives despite sharing womb with 'foreign body'

Baby Maia was conceived against the odds, only to find she was sharing a womb with an ominous "foreign body".

Video: Baby shows dog how to jump - or vice versa

They say dog is man's best friend, but this playful pooch seems to have chosen a jumping baby as her number one buddy.

10 ways to soothe a crying baby

New paernts can get frustrated when their newborn gets fussy and can't settle down. When you're feeling overwhelmed, try some of these simple tips to help soothe your baby.

20 baby names that are becoming more popular every year

The data-lovers at nameberry.com have been at it again – this time, they’ve discovered the names that are continually rising up the ranks, ready to take out some top spots in the next few years.

10 great meals to make for new parents

Ideally, you want to give food that isn’t expensive to make, isn't too difficult to create, and freezes well; stews, bakes, soups and pasta sauces are perfect.

Weird pregnancy products

Some pregnancy products come to market and are just awesome. Others just leave you scratching your head.

Carers admit to force-feeding children

Christa Engles was changing her baby's nappy when tragedy struck.

How many weeks til Christmas?

On your To-Do list

Get the "Santa" shopping done without the kids in tow.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.