Lynnemine "Should I take my child to the GP" thread
*Please update us*

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 LifesGood

Posted 11 December 2012 - 01:51 PM

The original thread has been deleted due to too much medical advice, so this thread has been started in the hope that the OP will report back on how her DD is.

#2 qak

Posted 11 December 2012 - 01:54 PM

When was her last visit to the GP - only today?
Surely the 'offending' posts could have been removed, not the whole thread  shrug.gif

#3 ZombieMum

Posted 11 December 2012 - 02:01 PM

Dr thought it was shingles.

#4 LifesGood

Posted 11 December 2012 - 02:58 PM

She was going to try to get her DD to a GP appt today, if not she was thinking of going to the ER.

It would have been good if the thread could simply have been edited rather than deleted but perhaps there were too many posts containing "medical advice".

It sh*ts me to tears that we live in such a ridiculously litigious society that we can't discuss such things without fear of being sued.

Gives me an idea for a discussion thread....

#5 anasam

Posted 11 December 2012 - 04:27 PM

It sh*ts me to tears that we live in such a ridiculously litigious society that we can't discuss such things without fear of being sued.

I think it is more the case that some of the advice given could actually do more harm than good.

#6 lynneyours

Posted 11 December 2012 - 04:33 PM

Hi LG - Thanks!

Therese closed the old one because it contained medical advice etc and I think this will be closed too soon.  

DD is good -  GP thinks it is shingles, because there are newly popped, unpopped and almost healed bits all together. cuts 11/12
She isn't ill, sore, itchy etc.  No fever, not sick.  
She was vaccinated against Chickenpox on schedule, so that is enough to get shingles.  

I'll post this and then edit it, in case it gets locked.

ETA - it is still contained to her back and looks much better today - I shall try to post a pic now in a minute for you.  We've just been in the paddling pool all afternoon having a great old time with squirty bottles, barbies and pouring cups. original.gif

yesterday

Edited by lynnemine, 11 December 2012 - 05:01 PM.

#7 Becky Thatcher

Posted 11 December 2012 - 04:53 PM

Goddamm and I had some great questions to ask Rosebird too, in fact was typing one when it closed.
I didn't think there was anything wrong with the thread but I understand the mods decision

#8 lynneyours

Posted 11 December 2012 - 05:25 PM

QUOTE (LindsayMK @ 11/12/2012, 05:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Goddamm and I had some great questions to ask Rosebird too, in fact was typing one when it closed.
I didn't think there was anything wrong with the thread but I understand the mods decision

original.gif so was I!
I didn't mind it being closed, so much, but it was really nice to have all the support and advice from people.

#9 LifesGood

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:11 PM

Oh that's a relief Lynnemine, I'm so pleased for you and DD biggrin.gif  thanks for PMing me too wub.gif

I think it is more the case that some of the advice given could actually do more harm than good.

And even if it may, are we going to ignore all of the potentially good advice on the off-chance that one piece may be detrimental? A case of throwing the baby out with the bathwater if you ask me and a symptom of how completely risk averse we have become.

Anyway, that's another subject that I want to raise in a separate thread.

#10 soontobegran

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:36 PM

For those who may have seen rosiebirds post I agree with her.
The pattern of the rash is not indicative of what she was diagnosed as having (sorry LindsayMK original.gif )
As someone who had had this illness the lack of pain is also another clue that the GP may have got it wrong (sorry OP original.gif )
That large area of affected skin would be excrutiatingly painful...pity the GP didn't do swabs.

Main thing is that she appears to be getting better Lynnemine.

#11 meggs1

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:58 PM

QUOTE (soontobegran @ 11/12/2012, 07:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The pattern of the rash is not indicative of what she was diagnosed as having (sorry LindsayMK original.gif )
As someone who had had this illness the lack of pain is also another clue that the GP may have got it wrong (sorry OP original.gif )
That large area of affected skin would be excrutiatingly painful...pity the GP didn't do swabs.

I agree.

#12 IsolaBella

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:06 PM

My shingles were acutely painful... That is when I realised I didn't just have hives coming up but the other. I only had three spots and it hurt like the devil.

#13 lynneyours

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:10 PM

I should say the GP specifically said they were excruciating in an adult but not in a child. I had them when I was 10 or so (grade 5) and don't remember them as painful.

I then queried, because I thought you only got shingles when run-down, but that is apparently not the case.  

#14 Butterflyqueen

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:22 PM

QUOTE (soontobegran @ 11/12/2012, 06:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I didn't see the other thread, but when I had shingles I was only mildly unwell and had no pain whatsoever. I was so convinced the go was wrong I asked for a swab and it was confirmed as shingles. Antivirals cleared it right up.

#15 soontobegran

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:28 PM

QUOTE (Butterflyqueen @ 11/12/2012, 08:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I didn't see the other thread, but when I had shingles I was only mildly unwell and had no pain whatsoever. I was so convinced the go was wrong I asked for a swab and it was confirmed as shingles. Antivirals cleared it right up.

Of course it depends on the area of body involved. The OP's child has almost her entire back full of lesions, I would find it hard to believe that this extensive area of nerve inflammation wouldn't be painful sad.gif
My Shingles were when I was a child and rubbish to the GP who said they are not painful in children ohmy.gif

#16 lynneyours

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:01 PM

Thanks STBG!

I shall be keeping an eye on her back (and the rest of her too) and if it doesn't get better, I shall definitely take her back to the GP.

I'll also post updated pics for anyone interested over the next few days.

#17 *Lib*

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:10 PM

Looks a lot better today than it did yesterday!! Hopefully as each day passes they will improve!

#18 Ange

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:29 PM

How was it today?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Britain's youngest parents: mother 12, father 13

A 12-year-old schoolgirl and her 13-year-old boyfriend are believed to have become Britain?s youngest parents, after the birth of their baby girl earlier this week.

When Prince George met Bilby George

Prince George has met an Aussie marsupial named after him in his first official engagement in Australia.

Asphyxia link another piece of the SIDS puzzle

An Australian study has uncovered information which could lead to a better understanding of why babies die from Sudden Infant Death Syndrome.

Pregnant woman dies after doctor removes ovary instead of appendix

When a UK woman went to hospital suffering appendicitis, doctors mistakenly removed her healthy ovary - with tragic consequences.

The milestones I can't wait to celebrate

Nothing can beat the feeling of witnessing that first smile, first step and first word - but here's a list of 'firsts' I'm really looking forward to now.

How you develop in your baby's first year

Just as babies undergo rapid growth as they learn and change in their first year, we?re learning and changing quickly as parents, too. Don?t underestimate the developmental stages you go through when you have a baby.

Can you make your baby smarter even before birth?

A product new to Australia claims to help babies be born "as intelligent as possible", but not all experts agree on the benefits of educating babies while still in the womb.

How a mother's love helped unearth the skills of an autistic savant

Autistic savant Ping Lian Yeak, a prodigious artist who has had his work shown all over the world, couldn't have done it without the support and love of his proud mum.

Rescue dog Zoey and BFF Jasper star in adorable pics

Photographer, self-professed "crazy dog lady" and mum Grace Chon takes photos of rescue dog Zoey and her 10-month-old son Jasper together. The results are just too cute. See more on Instagram @thegracechon.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

A tiny heart: a baby?s death gives life to another

Simon Alexander Garcia lived only one brief hour. But somewhere, a little girl?s heart is beating today because of him.

Ear piercing: what age is best?

What is it that shapes our opinions on what?s an 'appropriate' age for our children to get their ears pierced? Parents share their views on how young is too young when it comes to piercing.

Why is childbirth still such a pain?

The options given to women to help them cope in labour have barely changed in years.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win the brand new phil&teds vibe

Check out the good looking new release of the Vibe 3 and the Verve 4-wheeler inline strollers. To celebrate their release, we have a Vibe with double kit to give away.

Baby sleep

From birth to one year and beyond, read about baby sleep, soothing techniques, routines, and sleep school experiences.

Easter gifts for babies, no chocolate in sight!

If this is your little one?s first Easter you might want to mark the occasion with something a little extra special. Here are 10 Easter gift ideas, which won't harm little teeth.

7 tips for a kid-free trip, not a guilt trip

Although I?m jumping out of my skin to take my child-free holiday, I?m dreading the goodbye. But I?m determined to make the most of it without tarnishing it with guilt or sadness about leaving the kids.

Itchibubs: clothes for babies and toddlers with eczema

Parents of children who suffer from eczema will know only too well the scratching that occurs around the clock. A new clothing range aims to help make everyone more comfortable.

Ear piercing: what age is best?

What is it that shapes our opinions on what?s an 'appropriate' age for our children to get their ears pierced? Parents share their views on how young is too young when it comes to piercing.

Caring for kids helps grandmothers stay mentally alert

Looking after grandchildren can help grandmothers ward off brain disease - but it's also possible to get too much of a good thing, researchers say.

Why I loved my third home water birth

After two water births at home, I was determined to give birth to my son the same way. I just hoped this birth would be quicker than my last two.

Revealed: 7 ways food marketers try to trick consumers

If you?re confused by food labels, you?re not alone. Next time you?re shopping for food, look out for these seven common labelling tricks.

'My mother-in-law found out our baby's gender behind our backs'

My husband and I mutually decided that we didn?t want to know our baby's sex before the birth, but his mother couldn't handle that.

Free Printable Activities

Keeping little hands busy

Free printable acitivity pages like colouring in, cutting, word finders, mazes, maths activities and puzzles.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.