Photography challenge - Christmas

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 :-) Bec

Posted 11 December 2012 - 11:06 AM

This week's challenge is Christmas. I look forward to seeing what Christmas/festive season means to you.

The rules:
One photo per person which has been taken this week (starting TUESDAY). Everyone is welcome to join in. Competition will start Tuesday with submissions ending the following Monday.

If you wish, please note your rating after your image:
Rating 1 Beginner (just got my camera)
Rating 2 Amateur (learning about settings)
Rating 3 Hobbyist (have a good grasp of the theory)
Rating 4 Semi Pro (improved well beyond when I started)
Rating 5 Pro/serious hobbyist (I'm well experienced and have been doing this for quite a while)

All images must be up by next MONDAY at (9pm EDST, 8pm EST, 7.30pm CST, 6pm WST) for inclusion.

Remember the EB rules state images within posts must be smaller than 500 (wide) x 470 (high) pixels and 100kb.

Challenge history for the winner:

Food - rbat
Portrait - elle-M
Macro/close up - ILBB
Rule of Thirds - mummy26
Vanishing point - rbat
Patterns in nature - Jupiter123
Fun - Silverwattle
Seven - mummy26
Texture - ILBB
At Home - elle-M
Nostalgia - rbat
Reflection - Bryden
Half - Nut
Spring - millie71
Antique - elle-M
Tells a story - Ev
Postcard - raven74
Favourite things - winkwink
Long exposure - rbat
Wings - silverwattle
Sweet - rbat
Light - Skepticaemia
Wild - Mecurial
Moody - BeagleBoy
In the eye of the beholder - cat
Symmetry - JamieLee85
Serenity - winkwink
Out Of Place - Peanut
Water Drop Shot - blue4me
One - Raven74
Black & White Portrait - rbat
Red - Luckyseven
Suggestive - Abbygirl
Mostly Black/Mostly white - PrincessPinkenIt
Autumn - Superman+4Sisters
Capturing Action - Peanut
Black and white perspective - Abbygirl
Shadows - winkwink
Props - Jalex
Numbers - apocketfull
Circle - mummy26
Coke - rbat
Abstract - mummy26

Edited by rbat, 11 December 2012 - 11:07 AM.

#2 Bryden

Posted 11 December 2012 - 11:22 AM

Congrats on the win rbat! Beautiful image.

Hopefully I'll be back this week! I finally caved and bought a new laptop. I was really trying to delay it because I wanted to buy myself a 100mm 2.8 with the money I had saved but I'll have to wait again  cry1.gif

Looking forward to seeing the entries.

Teressa

#3 Peanut

Posted 11 December 2012 - 04:40 PM

I actually have an entry for once!   happy.gif

These are the Christmas/class breakup gifts my DS handed out to his kindy classmates today.  They are a pompom critter sitting on top of a golden chocolate coin.  Those kids who don't eat/not allowed chocolate can remove the critter.  They were a big hit!

Christmas Pompom's

#4 ~Kee~In~Hawaii~

Posted 12 December 2012 - 11:19 AM

I completely missed the food challenge but was drooling over those donuts! Yum!

Chirstmas in my family means seafood lunch on the beach and hunting for the perfect shell that will be added as an ornament to next years Christmas tree. We have one that represents each year we have spent together on a beach. This Christmas is about to be our first one without Dad so it's going to be very strange to be the beach baby on the sand without my beach-bum Daddy. Anyway, I figured since that's what Christmas time is about for me, I'd snap a pic of all our Christmas shells with our latest addition, the Hawaiian shell ornament from our last trip back to Hawaii all together.

Christmas Shells

#5 rogue-shadow

Posted 12 December 2012 - 07:13 PM

Oooh, I have one from today that fits this one perfectly, though I first thought of last weeks. My laptop is broken though so I'm not sure if I'll get to post it here. Look forward to seeing everyone's entries.

#6 winkwink

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:27 PM

Yay, I actually have an entry this week.  I made some mini gingerbread houses yesterday and today we had some friends over and the kids got to decorate them.  My DS was lucky to get any on his house, he was too busy eating all the lollies.  

gingerbread house by wmc75, on Flickr

Teri those critters are the cutest, what lucky classmates.  Your DS starts prep next year too doesn't he?

~Kee~in~Hawaii~  What a beautiful collection of shells and such a lovely tradition.  I'm so sorry that your dad is no longer here to continue it with you.

#7 mummy26

Posted 14 December 2012 - 12:42 AM

I did a few Christmas ones today and this is one of them

http://www.flickr.com/photos/28286225@N02/.../in/photostream

#8 elle-M

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:13 PM

SUCH good entries so far!!!

#9 SW-

Posted 15 December 2012 - 02:58 PM

I wanted to go for some thing different.  To me Christmas means fun.  So I had fun with the Christmas lights

christmas by silver wattle, on Flickr

#10 Peanut

Posted 16 December 2012 - 12:23 PM

Great photos ladies!  original.gif

Wendy, the gingerbread house looks delicious!  Yep, my little munchkin will be starting Prep next year, eek!

I was playing around with Christmas lights too Silverwattle, but going for the bokeh effect!  

Tree bokeh

Rudolph bokeh

#11 :-) Bec

Posted 17 December 2012 - 07:21 PM

Hello everyone,

Thank you for the beautiful Christmas shots this week, has been a bit of a tragic weekend and this was a little ray of sunshine for me to look at tonight.

Peanut, what can I say - that is just too cute! What a great gift idea. What have you used as the feet? I might have to try this myself! I think Micah will love it! Love your bokeh shots too, particularly the one with the stars. Great effect!

Kee In Hawaii, what an absolutely beautiful tradition. And such a wonderful idea making ornaments from your finds. I hope partaking in this tradition helps you feel connected to your dad as you experience your first Christmas without him. These first events are very hard.

winkwink, gorgeous! Nicholas is very clever and that looks completely delicious - particularly those spearmint leaves at the front. Yum yum original.gif. The beautiful Christmas tree bokeh is a lovely touch also.

mummy26, what a beautifully composed shot. I love the darkness and light coming out of the box. It makes me curious as to what is in there too! Love the sparkles of the ribbon, hat and bokeh too. Wonderful shot and really expresses the joy of Christmas.

silverwattle, fabulous! Christmas means fun to me too and Christmas lights are my favourite thing at Christmas time. I'm glad you had some fun with long exposure. Did someone run around with them? Great job!

I kept coming back to one photo and smiling - it is just way too cute for words and I'm so stealing that idea next year as a craft activity with my classes. So congratulations Peanut! Special mention to mummy26, yours was outstanding. A really close second and was my DH's favourite!

#12 Peanut

Posted 17 December 2012 - 08:06 PM

Yippee!  Thanks Bec, my little man will be thrilled that his critters won!   biggrin.gif

They were so simple to make, a bag of chocolate coins and 2 bags of pompom critters from the cheap shop.  The feet are stickers, so peel off the paper and plonk them down on top of the coins.  His kindy friends adored them, and I'm going back to buy more to store for next year, lol!

Will be back with this weeks challenge soon!

#13 ~Kee~In~Hawaii~

Posted 17 December 2012 - 08:42 PM

Great win Peanut, loved your bokeh shots too.

And thanks for the kind words rbat, having only lost Dad a month ago and very unexpectedly it's been good to get out the Christmas ornaments and try to remember some of the good moments.

#14 winkwink

Posted 18 December 2012 - 09:24 AM

Congrats Teri, they are super cute.

#15 mummy26

Posted 18 December 2012 - 09:10 PM

Thanks for the mention Bec original.gif and Congrats to Peanut original.gif

Edited by mummy26, 18 December 2012 - 09:11 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

A mum's tragic battle against inflammatory breast cancer

At just 37 years of age, with two young sons, Vicki was diagnosed with inflammatory breast cancer. Now her family wants all women to know the symptoms.

The business of babies around the world

Pregnancy and birth is an intriguing process no matter where you are in the world. One soon-to-be father gleans wisdom from a new guide.

Finding a positive path through IVF

It’s not surprising that IVF is often seen as a negative journey towards the ultimate positive, but having a glass-half-full approach can make a big difference to the experience.

Giving strangers the gift of parenthood

A mum explains why she and her husband are choosing to gift their leftover embryos to help strangers achieve their dream of parenthood.

Does morning sickness get better or worse with each child?

Just as every baby is unique, so is every pregnancy. And that means morning sickness can vary a lot, too.

What's so wrong with looking 'mumsy', anyway?

Why is it that the word ‘mumsy’ has connotations of such a negative nature – but seems to be the only other option apart from ‘yummy’?

Trying to speed up the inevitable

As the waiting game of late pregnancy continues, this mum considers a few things that might hurry things up a little.

One month later: where is William Tyrell?

It has been a little over a month since William Tyrell disappeared from his grandmother's home, 33 long sleepless nights for his family as they mourn the absence of their cheeky young boy.

Winter's child less likely to be moody: study

Babies born in the summer are much more likely to suffer from mood swings when they grow up, while those born in the winter are less likely to become irritable adults, scientists claim.

Single mum of two creates award-winning baby app

Suddenly single with a baby and an 11-year-old son, Tara O?Connell developed an app to improve the lives of mothers who were similarly overwhelmed.

Food for thought: looking after yourself as a new mum

As soon as your baby enters the world, everything else takes a back seat - even the necessities of daily life such as eating are severely compromised, right when you need energy the most.

'Grabbable guts' campaign aims to cut toxic fat

The Live Lighter campaign will take people inside the human body to show the internal dangers of being overweight.

The best and worst month of my life

A new mum's first month of motherhood didn't pan out as expected when she lost a family member weeks after her baby's birth.

Facebook and Apple offer to pay female staff to freeze their eggs

Facebook and Apple are hoping to provide women with the freedom to build their careers without the added pressure of having children at or by a certain age.

How a pregnancy contract could work for you and your partner

The idea of making a 'pregnancy contract' with your partner may sound a bit silly at first, but it can help make the transition to parenthood a lot smoother.

Finding a mum-friendly personal trainer

Burping babies vs burpees – yes, new mums and personal trainers live in different worlds. But they can work together - once you find the right match for you and your lifestyle.

Alleged baby snatch incident a ?misunderstanding?, say police

Police say that an incident in which a man pulled on a woman?s pram while walking a popular Sydney route late last month was a misunderstanding.

Ebola killed my aunt and is shutting down my country

Three weeks ago, my auntie, a midwife, developed a fever. Sitting here in Sydney basked in Australian sunshine, that shouldn't be big news.

The night my ovary burst

One mum shares her frightening experience and vows to never take her health for granted again.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

The 'yucky' illness that took over my life

I have a chronic illness nobody likes to discuss, as it involves toilet talk. But it needs to be talked about.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.