Year of nothing
New years resolution

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 HeartMyBoys

Posted 10 December 2012 - 07:35 PM

My partner and i have decided next year will be a year of nothing. Basically we will only buy essentials, pay our bills, and go nuts on our debt. No going out or partying (which is easy for me cause im pregnant wink.gif ).
I know im up for it and my partner is adamant he is too. He works a lot so we shouldnt drive each other too crazy........i hope.
Anyone else have a big new years resolution that may be hard to stick to?
I'd also like to come up with a bet i could make with him, if he doesnt stick with it......any ideas?

#2 LittleListen

Posted 10 December 2012 - 07:44 PM

Good luck OP!  i would love to so this but DH is resistant. Loves his stuff  rolleyes.gif

Some helpful blogs/resources:

http://www.theminimalistmom.com  talks about living a minimalist life.

David Ramsey's blog/book/program for paying down debt.

http://smallnotebook.org/ does regular no spend months. You can pick up some good concepts here that might help your DH to see that it works for others.

Would love to hear your updates in the year next year!

#3 HeartMyBoys

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:19 PM

Thanks so much for that info. So keen to succeed at this. biggrin.gif

And i'll definitely keep u posted

Edited by HeartMyBoys, 10 December 2012 - 08:19 PM.

#4 #YKG

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:47 PM

ill join you on that one next year. Only essentials like bills & groceries no new clothes unless desperate (currently losing weight) going out limit to peoples birthdays ans save save save!

#5 MoonPie

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:49 PM

Cool! You should blog it?

#6 *Finn*

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:52 PM

I am Absolutly desperate to lose weight. 2013 is the year for it!!

Off to find some motivation to stick with it! And maybe some councilling too.

#7 HeartMyBoys

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:59 PM

QUOTE (Rebothy @ 10/12/2012, 09:49 PM)
15148060[/url]']
Cool! You should blog it?

Hmmmm, never written a blog, but could be a good time to start.

#8 casime

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:27 PM

I like the idea, and I'm doing a similar thing, but I think you need to include some allowance for activities/celebrations/treats/etc.  Maybe set aside a certain amount that each of you could use for going out/treats.  I am allowing myself one bottle of wine per fortnight and $10 per week towards 'entertainment'.  That may be saving up towards theatre shows, or going to a movie.  I think you need to include some 'play' money or you might find it more difficult.

#9 HeartMyBoys

Posted 11 December 2012 - 05:44 AM

QUOTE (casime @ 10/12/2012, 11:27 PM)
15148318[/url]']
I like the idea, and I'm doing a similar thing, but I think you need to include some allowance for activities/celebrations/treats/etc.  Maybe set aside a certain amount that each of you could use for going out/treats.  I am allowing myself one bottle of wine per fortnight and $10 per week towards 'entertainment'.  That may be saving up towards theatre shows, or going to a movie.  I think you need to include some 'play' money or you might find it more difficult.

Thats a great idea, thx.

#10 kpingitquiet

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:07 AM

Yep, I'm with ya. Our biggest weakness is occasional takeout. Japanese and Pizza Capers (who have ruined us for all others lol) are our kryptonite, but I'm vowing at least 2 months with no takeout, and a year with no non-essential purchases. We'll obviously have to buy kiddo some clothes halfway through, and we'll replace essentials that break/die, but I'm sick of seeing the credit card bill stagnate.

Bills, my schooling, general essentials, healthy food, and hopefully new-baby related stuff (again, essentials plus a couple special items as we already have lots from kiddo) is more than enough consumerism for us. Thankfully, we've JUST finished all our birthdays (except husband) and Christmas is covered. Husband isn't getting anything but a dinner out as we agreed our US trip was anniv/bday/Xmas for both of us for the year. Our "treats" are my school tuition and occasional cans of paint as we slowly (hopefully!) raise the value of the house.

Man, will it be tough not to order out on a tired night, though! My only tip is to make up some homemade "fast food" like pizza and crumbed fish fillets for the freezer, keep a jar or two of good pasta and curry sauces laying around and use those if you, like us, you need the occasional no-cook night. Good luck!

#11 HeartMyBoys

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:12 AM

Weve been trying lite n easy, as it worked out cheap compared to our usual food shops. Plus with my partner working odd hours, and working away at times, theres always meals left so we dont always have to spend a lot. We buy other stuff aswell for the kids and i make up meals for them that i know they like. Im a bargain shopper, whereas my partner is the one who will just grab whatever and not check prices rolleyes.gif . Thats why i know i will stick to the plan, and i really hope he can.
Take away will be a once a week/fortnight treat for sure. I know what u mean about not wanting to cook every night, and thats why i love lite n easy, hehe.
Weve already sorted next xmas with hampers which will be paid off by oct, credit cards have been handed over and ive hidden them (if i had my way i'd cut them up), i pay the bills etc and ive been told as long as i make sure he has enough for smokes, and cold drinks at work hes happy. He works on the roads, long hours, and doesnt pay for fuel which is a huge bonus considering how much it is. Im gonna buy drinks in bulk so it works out cheaper and he can take an esky.
Heres hoping that this time next year were almost, if not completely debt free  eexcite.gif

#12 ubermum

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:25 AM

What about ditching his smokes? The least he could do is switch to a nicotine replacement like gum, lozenges, inhaler, patches. It may save a lot more than money in the long term.

I recently took a smoker into our house and I am blown away at how expensive smokes now are. She pays nearly $23 for a pack of 40's. That's a lot of money a couple of times a week out of a family budget. In fact two packets is 2/3rds of my fruit + veg budget. They are definitely a non-essential item.

#13 Ally'smum

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:28 AM

We are going to attempt it, we really need to clear some debt.

We are going to have planned splurges though and save up for them beforehand so we don't feel like we are missing out on life too much.

#14 unicycle

Posted 11 December 2012 - 10:36 AM

We rarely had takeaway or ate out for 10 years, but when we did, the rule for take away was that it had to be paid for in coins. That way it didn't feel like we were spending real money. Oh yeah... We are mortgage free now.
If you would like tips for not spending money, I believe I may be your go- to person...

#15 HeartMyBoys

Posted 11 December 2012 - 12:46 PM

QUOTE (Ferdinand @ 11/12/2012, 10:19 AM)
15148866[/url]']
We did that a couple of years ago. It so wasn't worth it for us, we nearly killed each other without an outlet to release frustration (for me this is usually seeing a movie or bowling). We lasted 8 months before we started splurging again a little.

8 months is a fair effort. I'll put small amounts aside to go towards a night out or a movie or something.

#16 HeartMyBoys

Posted 11 December 2012 - 12:49 PM

QUOTE (ubermum @ 11/12/2012, 10:25 AM)
15148885[/url]']
What about ditching his smokes? The least he could do is switch to a nicotine replacement like gum, lozenges, inhaler, patches. It may save a lot more than money in the long term.

I recently took a smoker into our house and I am blown away at how expensive smokes now are. She pays nearly $23 for a pack of 40's. That's a lot of money a couple of times a week out of a family budget. In fact two packets is 2/3rds of my fruit + veg budget. They are definitely a non-essential item.

Yep, it is crazy the amount he spends on smokes alone. Believe me, ive suggested it to him several times. He said he will give it a go when hes ready, so i dont push the issue. I thnk if i nag him into it, then i'll cop all the abuse when hes having withdrawels lol.

#17 HeartMyBoys

Posted 11 December 2012 - 12:50 PM

QUOTE (unicycle @ 11/12/2012, 11:36 AM)
15149060[/url]']
We rarely had takeaway or ate out for 10 years, but when we did, the rule for take away was that it had to be paid for in coins. That way it didn't feel like we were spending real money. Oh yeah... We are mortgage free now.
If you would like tips for not spending money, I believe I may be your go- to person...

Must feel great to be mortgage free.........and thankyou  original.gif

#18 MagsJee

Posted 01 January 2013 - 12:52 PM

Ok, my year of nothing starts today and my 'nothing' is book buying.  I have a nasty, nasty habit of buying books which I always plan to read (honest), but somehow never do because: 'ooooh, look that books looks great...'  You get the picture.

So this year I'm not buying any books, not book books, not ebooks, just no books.

#19 Magnus

Posted 01 January 2013 - 01:11 PM

I agree with Casime that you do need to plan in some breaks/ fun.

We had the year of nothing this year due to DP saving and my income being reduced and the costs of moving interstate.

For a few months, maybe about six, it's OK. Recently, I've become quite grumpy, because I am on holidays and after a very hard year I feel frustrated that I can't reward myself.

As well as setting aside a little bit of 'emergency' entertainment money, I found spending a bit on maintaining my appearance was important. I start to feel really down on myself when I only have very scruffy clothes, mullety hair and terrible skin. There were a few patches this year where I had to force myself to go out in public.

Perhaps make sure you have enough cheap basics like t-shirts and bras and undies before you start, and replace staples like jeans and shorts and shoes before they get to the point where they're ripped, saggy, or falling down.

#20 HRH Countrymel

Posted 01 January 2013 - 01:16 PM

Oh dear... from reading this it seems that I may be already living a 'life of nothing'.

Damn.

#21 Guest_Sunnycat_*

Posted 01 January 2013 - 01:25 PM

I'm going too be attempting the same. My only exclusions are stuff for this baby ask need to get a car seat and cot and would like a double stroller. Dad has offered to make the cot so that saves money.

I also need to get clothes have no age appropriate winter clothes but I'm going to budget for this.

I'm looking forward to my year of frugality, we spend so much money on take away and crap it's ridiculous.

Edited by Sunnycat, 01 January 2013 - 01:26 PM.

#22 Sallystwo

Posted 01 January 2013 - 01:38 PM

We too are tightening the belt this year.

#23 Acidulous Osprey

Posted 01 January 2013 - 01:40 PM

After a truly horrendous vet bill over the new year, we need to be frugal to get back on track.  ::sigh::

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Get your FREE Baby & Toddler Show ticket!

Get your free ticket to the Sydney Essential Baby & Toddler Show for September 25-27 - register online now.

A solo birth, a wasp swarm and a forest fire: mum and baby's amazing story of survival

Desperate, out of petrol and low on food, a new mother lit a fire in the hope of attracting attention.

Boy found on swing died of hypothermia and dehydration, autopsy finds

The story was chilling and heartbreaking: a three-year-old boy was found dead in a Southern Maryland park, his mother pushing him on the swing.

Child's play and laughter help battle fatigue

Feeling fatigued? Uh-huh, thought as much. Join the queue.

Dad shares entertaining 'how to hold a baby' clip

For many new dads, their own child is the first baby they have ever held. So one dad has posted an instructive YouTube video titled "How to Hold a Baby".

The Australian baby with 100,000 Facebook fans

She may be only eight months old, but Egypt has already amassed more than 100,000 fans and received a letter from royalty - Hollywood royalty that is.

Public welcome outside church for Princess Charlotte's christening

Duke and Duchess of Cambridge have invited well-wishers to see Princess Charlotte outside church in Sandringham on day of her baptism.

Tongue tie: what you need to know

Tongue and lip tie can lead to many problems for babies - and their parents. Here are the signs of tongue tie and how it's treated.

My daughter is small but that doesn't matter

My daughter may be small, but it's my job as her parent to refocus back where it belongs - on who she is as a person

Wet wipes linked to rise in allergic reactions

The government has issued a health warning after a rise in allergic skin reactions has been linked to a preservative found in some wet wipes.

Gay couple in their 80s first to wed in Dallas after Supreme Court ruling

Love may have won, but it came with quite the wait.

William Tyrrell's family marks birthday with cake and renewed appeal

The family of missing boy William Tyrrell will mark his fourth birthday on Friday making a cake to share with friends and family as NSW police renewed their public appeal for information on his disappearance.

What all parents should know about safe babywearing

A picture of Ryan Reynolds always gets the girls talking, and a recently shared photo has done exactly that - but this time, it's for all the wrong reasons.

Baby's head shape reveals potentially fatal condition

Thinking her baby just had an unusually shaped head, a mother was shocked to discover it was instead linked to a dangerous condition.

'Help - my toddler hits me!'

My toddler has started hitting when he gets frustrated, is feeling ignored, or just thinks it might be fun.

Why IVF success rates may not be what you think

Transparency, accountability and responsibilityare essential measures to protect IVF vulnerable patients.

On the 10th anniversary of my son's death

This day marks a significant day. Today marks 10 years since I lost my son Kai.

Mother-in-law 'from hell' inspires survival guide

The happily ever after Nicola Milan had imagined wasn't to be – and she blames her mother-in-law.

Name your baby Quinoa, win a $10K gift card

Choosing a name for your little bundle of joy is always a major decision. It can be something traditional, trendy, creative … or inspired by the menu of your favourite chain restaurant.

Owning a pair of nail scissors does not make me a hairdresser

It's been a whole year since sleeping in until 10am. A whole year since having a peaceful shower.

The 83 children who were tragically let down in the last decade

Over a 10-year period, 83 children died from domestic violence abuse in NSW, with three quarters of the victims aged five years or under, the NSW Ombudsman has revealed.

Expert Q&A: Gross motor skill development in toddlers and preschoolers

Dr Katie Heathershaw answers questions about jumping, toe walking, riding a bike and being pigeon toed.

Is it reasonable to expect your partner to give up drinking in pregnancy?

From the moment that I fell pregnant with my son, I realised just how much my life had already started to change.

Stroke victim joins class action against makers of popular contraceptive pill

"I was terrified I would always be this way. The pill needs to come with a much higher warning."

Sexy time

Why you should get excited about scheduling sex

Unfortunately, the belief that sex should always be spontaneous is a myth. It just isn't.

When newborn photoshoots get messy

When it comes to newborn photoshoots, it is all about the timing.

Orphaned baby daughter Ayla wakes from coma

Former All Black Jerry Collins' critically injured orphaned daughter has awoken from her coma and is able to bottle-feed.

Dad takes miraculous catch while feeding baby

One American father has taken multitasking to a new level at a Cubs-Dodgers baseball game at Wrigley Field.

'Samuel is our firstborn, and he will never be forgotten'

Having lost their firstborn at one day old, the Carrolls were overjoyed to welcome their daughter Isobel into the world a year later.

Channel 10's Sarah Harris expecting first child

The Studio host Sarah Harris doesn't mind if her first baby is a boy or girl, but she does hope it is born with one thing in particular.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

27 funny ultrasound pictures

Ultrasounds give you a look at your growing baby ... and sometimes what appears to their womb-buddy, or your bub in an amusing position.

The top 6 misleading parenting terms

From 'morning sickness' to 'the terrible twos', there are many parenting terms that are misleading.

When 'good' nannies go bad

While most nannies take pride in their work, there can be some who have a hidden side.

Woman hospitalised for skinny jeans injury

Beware: skinny jeans might be bad for your health.

Gauze seeding: the bacteria-breeding birth trend

A number of women having caesarean deliveries are now taking steps to give their baby a better 'microbiome' start in life.

Jimmy Fallon writes new children's book for dads

Jimmy Fallon, host of NBC's The Tonight Show, recently wrote a children's book about every father's secret wish for their baby's first word to be "dada" - not "mama".

28 names for babies born in winter

Looking for some baby name inspiration for a bub born during the colder months? Here are 28 options from around the world to consider.

The horrible act that sparked a brawl at child's birthday party

The uncle of the seven-year-old girl at the centre of the brawl at child's birthday party in Sydney's west has described the events leading up to the alarming show of violence.

Babies 'benefit from iPads at a young age': study

More often than not, you'll read that screen time for children should be kept to a minimum - but some scientists are now challenging this way of thinking.

Do mums really just obsessively talk about their children?

Natalie Reilly describes three main types of conversations mothers have. And, surprise, they're not all about kids.

Why some dogs might attack babies or young kids

A baby's smell, the noises it makes and even its gaze can contribute to the potential for a dog attack.

Mum demands refund for 'beargina' christening cake

It was meant to be a tasteful cake to help celebrate a three-year-old's christening.

5 things no one warns you about after giving birth

How many times have you been warned about all the sleepless nights you have to 'look forward to' when you become a parent?

Police officer sang nursery rhyme as heartbreaking photo was taken

A police officer arrived at a devastating scene on Thursday: a car crash resulting in all passengers being thrown from the vehicle.

Don't worry, working mums: Just leave Dad in charge at home

Want to open the boardroom doors for women? Encourage - heck, praise - dads who stay home with their children.

Hilaria Baldwin shares post-baby selfie

Just two days after giving birth, actor Alec Balwin's wife posted a post-baby picture on social media.

'Help - my child won't ever do what I ask!'

Compliance is part of the parent-child relationship, but so is resistance. It's all natural.

Postnatal depression support gets $23 million boost in NSW

The Baird government will include $22.8 million in Tuesday's NSW budget to expand a program designed to help parents at risk of postnatal depression (PND).

'I'm just as tired, scared and stressed as you': stay-at-home dad's plea

I'm really lucky to have two great kids, but I found it really tough with so much being aimed at the mothers and not the fathers.

FREE TICKET

Get your FREE ticket to the Baby & Toddler Show

Get your free ticket to the Sydney Essential Baby & Toddler Show for September 25-27 - register online now.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.