Exercise in Pregnancy
suggestions

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 living_bravely

Posted 10 December 2012 - 05:21 PM

Hi everyone!

This has probably been asked a million times so I apologise if I'm asking again.  But I want to know some exercises I can do that are safe in the first Tri.  I've had previous losses so I really don't want to do anything cardio (Although I am very fit and have done a lot of running, I stopped in my last 2 TWW's as I just don't want to be worried about it.)  But what else can I do?  Stretches? Yoga? Pilates? are any of these safe in first tri?  light weights?  What are some things I might be able to do at home or at the gym?

If anybody knows any websites etc that are useful I would really appreciate any recommendations or advice on this as I want to stay fit and healthy, but don't want to jeopardise my little bundle in any way, and I am a bit nervous about it. :-)

#2 Donuts08

Posted 10 December 2012 - 05:49 PM

anything not too heavy or high impact?

i kept doing everything but just listened to my body dont overheat thats the most important thing.

#3 BBV

Posted 10 December 2012 - 05:54 PM

I've been doing two pump classes a week, preggie Pilates and 40 mins light cardio, walking on treadmill and 20 mins on cross trainer. I feel OK doing this at the moment, do u have a trainer u could talk to about what u can and can't do?!

#4 living_bravely

Posted 10 December 2012 - 06:00 PM

I was doing some personal training but had to cut way back and make some lifestyle changes to get this bub on board and also some cut backs from a "spending" perspective as we were told we would have to do IVF (although ended up falling naturally! YAY!) so I don't really have a trainer any more.  I would probably skip the pump class (even though I know it would probably be fine, but I just don't want to stress and be worried about it), but the walking and cross trainer I could do!  Have you been doing preggie pilates since early on BBV?

#5 HeartMyBoys

Posted 10 December 2012 - 06:12 PM

Keep your heart rate below 140. Ive been doing 30mins on the treadmill, then side raises, leg raises, side squats with bicep curls, and lateral raises with dumbells. Rest at least a minute in between each exercise. I do 15 reps max.
The main thing really is not to elevate your heart rate, or temperature too much. And dont worry, ive been cautious this time too as i blamed myself last time because of how much exercise i was doing (even though i was told it wasnt anything i did).

#6 living_bravely

Posted 10 December 2012 - 06:47 PM

Oh HeartMyBoys that is exactly the same as me!!!! :-)  thanks so much for that advice.   rolleyes.gif

#7 kpingitquiet

Posted 10 December 2012 - 06:59 PM

I've just rededicated myself to exercise but have stopped for the 2ww, too. When I get back into it, if I'm lucky enough to get pregnant, I'll be doing yoga (no inversions), elliptical (keeping heartrate more moderate than normal), and swimming whenever I get the chance, which is great for my SPD issues, should they come with the next pregnancy. If you're already super-fit, just start up as soon as you're comfy and follow PP's suggestions. I have friends who did fun runs and bicycled to work daily up through their 8th months. I just personally prefer low/non-impact for my pelvic issues.

#8 GoodGollyMolly

Posted 10 December 2012 - 07:10 PM

Swimming and aqua aerobics are awesome for pregnant ladies! I honestly think the aqua aerobics helped so much with keeping me fit and relatively toned and helped have a smooth birth. I had hardly any abdominal separation (I am not a super fit person, overweight actually but aqua just helps your core so much!)

I was under the impression you can keep doing what ou have been doing for at least the first trimester, do I kept doing body attack (with a few more lower impact options and no sit ups) till about 20 weeks, but I'd been doing that class for years already. It's not a good time to start something new!

#9 BBV

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:43 PM

I had been doing pump for about three years so my DR assured me it would be ok with modified moves. I started Pilates when I was about 12 weeks from memory, I do it thru my physio. It's been great. Walking is also good and cheap!

#10 RichardParker

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:55 PM

Www.preggibellies.com.au.

It has been, hands down, the best thing for my pregnancy. I'm fitter now, having done it, thn I was when I started at around 16 weeks.   Best thing ever.

#11 MrsShine

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:58 PM

Pilates is fabulous for keeping you strong and fit. If you find a good teacher they can really help with stomach muscle separation post baby (goes back,faster!) and getting you strong for birth. Plus keeps you long & lean original.gif most teachers will have sets of exercises designed especially for pg women, mostly revolving around fit ball etc.

#12 raindotdot

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:09 PM

I did pretty much everything I did pre-pregnancy but just modified moves in Body Combat & Pump. I walked an hour a day, did yoga and swimming on weekends.

#13 porkchop's mama

Posted 11 December 2012 - 04:20 AM

I cut back my running distane in the first tri and briskly walked the remaining length of my usual running route.

Upped my swimming from once to twice a week, still managing to keep this up now.

Modified my yoga to at home 30 minute sessions with modified poses.

HTH

#14 living_bravely

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:01 AM

THanks so much everyone!

#15 Wildence

Posted 11 December 2012 - 04:17 PM

I have been doing body balance and yoga.

Pre pregnancy, i have been doing body pump, but due to my crazy morning sickness in the first trimester, i stopped going and then was just i guess afraid to go there again.

i believe it is EXTREMELY important to exercise during pregnancy. it helps me SO much with the back pain, chest pain, legs pain and everything else.

just dont forget to modify your exercises to pregnancy. instead of ab work, go on all 4 and do cat stretch etc.

good luck and keep exercising!!

#16 PurpleNess

Posted 11 December 2012 - 04:34 PM

I did prego yoga & swimming - lost weight in first tri but I think that had more to do with my diet and no booze :-)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

How a pregnancy contract could work for you and your partner

The idea of making a 'pregnancy contract' with your partner may sound a bit silly at first, but it can help make the transition to parenthood a lot smoother.

Finding a mum-friendly personal trainer

Burping babies vs burpees – yes, new mums and personal trainers live in different worlds. But they can work together - once you find the right match for you and your lifestyle.

Ambulance service under fire: baby seats to go, response times 'worse than ever'

The NSW Ambulance Service is removing child-safety seats from ambulances, while the Victorian service is facing criticism over lengthy response times following the death of a three-year-old.

Alleged baby snatch incident a ?misunderstanding?, say police

Police say that an incident in which a man pulled on a woman?s pram while walking a popular Sydney route late last month was a misunderstanding.

Ebola killed my aunt and is shutting down my country

Three weeks ago, my auntie, a midwife, developed a fever. Sitting here in Sydney basked in Australian sunshine, that shouldn't be big news.

The night my ovary burst

One mum shares her frightening experience and vows to never take her health for granted again.

Is e-reading to your toddler story time or just screen time?

When reading increasingly means swiping pages on a device, and we're advised to read to their children early and often, should parents be turning to e-readers for storytime?

Community mourns inspiring young dad

A young dad who fought a five-year battle with cancer has been remembered for his inspiring legacy at a funeral service attended by hundreds of family and friends this week.

Meningococcal kills Queensland toddler

Public health authorities say the death of a toddler in north Queensland from meningococcal disease highlights the danger the illness poses.

Nicole Kidman: 'I hope every month that I'm pregnant'

Nicole Kidman is hoping to add to her family, but says she's doubtful it will happen.

Recall: Aldi Wooden London Bus play set

Aldi has announced a recall of their popular Wooden London Bus play set.

Great gift ideas for first birthdays

From soft toys to balance bikes, here are some great ideas for first birthday gifts.

Mum learnt she was pregnant hours before giving birth

Kim Walsh arrived at the doctor with abdominal cramps. Hours later, she was cradling the baby experts told her she could never have.

How cancer has made me a better, happier person

I'm a far better person post-cancer than I ever was before. The goal now is to stay around long enough to find out who I can become, and what I can achieve.

Pete Evans says a paleo diet can prevent autism. He's wrong

Pete Evans is not a paediatrician or even a nutritionist or dietitian. So why should we believe his extreme views and remove food groups from our children's diets over the advice from those more qualified?

Let's get back to commonsense parenting

Forget the new 'Lawnmower' parenting trend; try using plain old-fashioned commonsense instead.

Woman sues after having a mixed-race baby

A US woman is suing a sperm bank after it sent her vials from African-American man, instead of the white donor she had selected.

Bonding ideas dad will love

Dad may not say it, but he could be feeling lost, confused and seriously left out. However, there are lots of things new fathers can do to be more included in the excitement of pregnancy and new parenthood.

The house that hope built for childhood cancer

Baby Laelani Baker was diagnosed with cancer before she was even born. Her heartbreaking story is just one of the reasons the Build for a Cure project is raising money for vital research into childhood cancer.

Does stay-at-home parenting get better?

Parenting doesn’t ever get easier; the challenges just change. But the challenges of caring for young children definitely lessens as they get older.

Inquest into the short and tragic life of Chloe Valentine

As the first phase of an inquest into the death of Chloe Valentine drew to a close, there was no doubt Chloe's life was marred by appalling neglect.

When mothers kill

The act of killing one's child is unthinkable for most, and a mother who kills her offspring has a special power to inspire shock and revulsion.

6 beauty tips for tired mums

For those of us with young children, eight hours sleep is a distant memory. And while we can’t do much to secure more shut-eye, there are some ways to fake it.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

Awkward grandparents

When Grandma and Grandpa pose for a snap with the kids, things can get very weird, very quickly.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.