do you consider your self lucky?

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#1 stressnless9

Posted 10 December 2012 - 11:33 AM

Maybe a weird post, but lately i have seen so many negative things it made me stop a think about how much i have, what im thankful for etc. I realised im a very lucky person. I have the stresses most people have aswell though, have had plenty of rough times etc but always came out the otherside better off.

these are some of the reasons i feel 'lucky'

we can save $500 per week
own our car and get free petrol
I get to be a SAHM with a cleaner
i get my haircut and coloured for free
i can get nails & tan done when i like
i have a family member who always asks to have my DS once a week (overnight every now and then if we want too so we can have time together)
we have such a cool house on a huge property with a pool & kids have motor bikes

thats just off the top of my head

do you consider yourself lucky?

what are you thankful for?

#2 FeralLIfeHacker

Posted 10 December 2012 - 11:36 AM

Yeah I do but not because of the things you listed like tans, nails, bikes etc
I am thankful because I live in a good country, I have a great dh and wonderful healthy kids.

#3 galba

Posted 10 December 2012 - 11:37 AM

I am thankful that I'll get to spend one last Christmas with my mum.  wub.gif

That's all.

#4 ♥~Bodhichitta~♥

Posted 10 December 2012 - 11:38 AM

I do consider myself lucky.  I've been through a lot over the years, and I am still here.

I had a serious car accident last year (my car hit a tree head on).  I shouldn't have survived it, but I walked away without a scratch.  I've had a bullet bounce of a pole I was standing next to.  Plus lots of other things.

I've had so many great people come into my life through luck as well.

I'm interested in this topic, as I'm currently reading a book on luck and how to attract luck into your life  original.gif

Edited by ♥~Bodhichitta~♥, 10 December 2012 - 11:39 AM.

#5 bambiigrrl

Posted 10 December 2012 - 11:39 AM

bloody hell women you are super lucky!!! jealous!!!
I do consider myself lucky too though, although not as lucky as you!

I have a wonderful husband who is my best friend and makes me laugh everyday

i have 2 beautiful bright happy and healthy children

I live a 2 minute walk from the beach

My family and I are all healthy

We are not doin as well financially as op is but we are doin ok and looking foward to doin better in the future!

#6 raone

Posted 10 December 2012 - 11:39 AM

My Husband has a good job/wage which means I can stay home as long as I like.

My son is healthy and has been pretty cruisy since he was born touch wood.

My family are supportive and loving.
I have great inlaws.

My first try at growing tomatoes and I have so many flowers yay lol. biggrin.gif

I was basically gifted everything I needed for bub by lovely friends and family.

Cant think of anything else at the moment. Little sleep deprived original.gif

#7 rosiebird

Posted 10 December 2012 - 11:40 AM

I'm thankful my child is too young for motorbikes.

#8 tres-chic

Posted 10 December 2012 - 11:40 AM

Absolutely, yes.

On a good day I think I have everything I ever needed or wanted. There are bad days of course, and problems and challenges, but we are living the good life here.

Blessed even.

#9 dolcengabbana

Posted 10 December 2012 - 11:41 AM

Lately with our 5th loss I didn't feel lucky.

But I am.
I have a wonderful husband who i feel very much in love with and who I feel is in love with me too.
Wonderful son who is pleasant funny kind and generous
Both have good jobs and income.
Ability to save save save and then spend spend spend on IVF!
I get my hair done regularly, tan when I want, nails when I want to.
Go out for meals as often as we like.
Travel overseas once or twice a year for fun.
Get free fuel (work bonus)
Get a free cleaner 2 x a week (work bonus)
Designed and built an amazing home with amazing views

#10 stressnless9

Posted 10 December 2012 - 11:41 AM

sounded a little materialistic didnt it!!

i havent had my hair done in over 6 months havent had a tan in a long long time my nails in at least 8 months! i can! but i dont because im not a fan of leaving DS so i look like a frumpy old mum atm lol but im grateful i hae that option there when i need the break!

Few other things
so greatful for the relationship i have with my step DS x 2 they are awesome
the town i live in is amazing! so many nice helpful people!
im so so lucky i get to watch our 3 babies play toegther laughing happily i would gie up everything if i could watch that every day though!!!!

#11 TopsyTurvy

Posted 10 December 2012 - 11:42 AM

There is luck and there is luck IYKWIM?

Luck that you create for yourself such as working hard in life to afford all the things that you have listed above.

Then there is the luck where you are gifted, or win, or are born into such things as the above.  The luck of good health and genes etc.

And then there is bad luck, where the opposite of the above might apply.

I think I take a bit from all types of luck.

Good self made luck to be in a similar situation to you financially with the trappings that come with it.

Lucky to have good health etc.

With a little bit of bad luck thrown in at times to keep me on my toes.

#12 lozoodle

Posted 10 December 2012 - 11:42 AM

Yes I feel lucky.

I'm generally content with my life and appreciative of what I have.

#13 Velvetta

Posted 10 December 2012 - 11:45 AM

That I have so many books to read, so much to think about and learn.
That we have organic vegies growing right now, all wet with rain.
I have 3 subjects left to go in my Masters degree.
I love my job
My husband adores me and he's so funny and kind and reliable and good looking.
My children dote on me
We are healthy
I have nice friends.
My mother is still alive and well
That I'm going to see Morrissey next week and Nick Cave next year
That I was at a ball last night and 3 complete strangers told me I was beautiful and had an "aura". (LOL, I'm not and I don't, but it was sweet)
That I don't care nor need fake tans, eyelashes, nails or cleaners.

I would personally hate my children to have motorbikes - noisy, dangerous things.

#14 noi'mnot

Posted 10 December 2012 - 11:46 AM

Yes I'm lucky, but for completely different reasons to you OP.

I'm lucky that I'm living in a part of the world that is safe, has brilliant universal healthcare, great educational opportunities, and many wonderful people in it. Lucky that my family and I are healthy and happy, and that we all love each other. Lucky that I was born when and where I was. Lucky to be able to do so many of the things that I do every day, and take for granted, when so many people in the world can not.

#15 Bubble11

Posted 10 December 2012 - 11:48 AM

Yes.  But I think it depends on how you look at things.  I could look at the bad things or I could look at the good things:  
I have an incurrable illness, I haven't been able to work for 6 years, I'm in pain 24/7/365 and I'm allergic to pain meds so theirs nothing the doctors can do to help me

my sister has mental health problems and disappeared 10 years ago; my mother also had serious MH issues that affected my childhood; my brother nearly died several times and has learning difficulties.

Or I could look at the good things:
My illness won't kill me, and if I'm careful it won't get much worse.  I've learnt to cope with the pain, lots of the time it's like background noise, and when it's really bad well I know I have the strength to get through it;

I'm pregnant and I get to stay home with my baby; my DH earns enough for both of us - we don't have heaps of money, but we get by; I met the love of my life, who doesn't give a damn that I'm sick and can't work and will do anything he can to support and help me;

my brother is slowly learning things and getting better and I have a wonderful supportive dad whose always been there for me and will always help in any way he can.  

I'm getting to achieve the thing I wanted most in life, to have a family and I might not be able to be a traditional mum and I'll need a lot more help and support then normal, but I know I will be a loving mum and my DH will be an amazing dad.  And father and brother will be around to help out and fill in any gaps.  

I'm thankful for my family - my DH and my brother and my father and my baby.  I'm thankful we earn enough to get by and not to struggle.

#16 LifesGood

Posted 10 December 2012 - 11:49 AM

oh my word yes. Great idea for a thread OP.

Though I do believe that luck only ever plays a part in good fortune.

My wonderful DH and two amazing children and our health are top of my list of 'lucky' things.

Our financial security is up there too.

Being born in this country is definitely a huge piece of pure luck.

#17 stressnless9

Posted 10 December 2012 - 11:49 AM

QUOTE (bambiigrrl @ 10/12/2012, 12:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
bloody hell women you are super lucky!!! jealous!!!
I do consider myself lucky too though, although not as lucky as you!

I have a wonderful husband who is my best friend and makes me laugh everyday

i have 2 beautiful bright happy and healthy children

I live a 2 minute walk from the beach

My family and I are all healthy

We are not doin as well financially as op is but we are doin ok and looking foward to doin better in the future!

Im so jealous you live 2 mins from the beach!!! im like 1.5 hours! i would kill for that!!!!!!!

#18 ~polly~

Posted 10 December 2012 - 11:51 AM

Yes I am lucky for lots of reasons but I'll just list 2:
My DH is amazing wub.gif
We own our house - mortgage free original.gif

#19 stressnless9

Posted 10 December 2012 - 11:52 AM

gosh, im greatful for mine,DP & kids health then. Basically never had a problem not even my parents grandparetns brothers or sisters.....i dont even know anyone whos really sick or anything.....soo sooo lucky!!

#20 désir d'amour

Posted 10 December 2012 - 11:57 AM

I am very lucky.

I have a wonderful husband who supports me in whatever mad adventure I want to participate in next.  His only criteria is "As long as you don't work yourself to death doing it"

I have a bestie who would move a fair amount of the earth for me, and I for him.

I had a wonderful year at work this year, and got offered a (hopefully) wonderful job for next and beyond.  This will hopefully preserve my mental health in terms of working/not working balance PLUS allow me to take on more of the soul-fulfilling things I want to do without working myself to death!

I was acknowledged for about the first time EVER by a group of people in my choir for the effort I have put in this year to just be helpful.

I have made a beautiful handful of lovely friends, and armfuls of lovely aquaintances.

i am finally getting my act together and learning to play a new instrument, even if it's my voice, rather than the physical instrument I always envisaged.

We bought a house.  We have 3 gorgeous (insane) cats.  If I want to have a baby in the future, DH is cool with it.  If I don't, DH is cool with it.

My health issues, physical and mental, are either fixable or manageable.  Financially, we're in pretty damn good shape atm

2012 has been the best year ever.

#21 Nanaimo Girl

Posted 10 December 2012 - 11:58 AM

Yep I am lucky.

Things have a way of falling into my lap when life is just about to hit the crapper.

Ie my car has just died - my uncle wins the lotto and gives me his old car.

I'm in desperate need of a rental and live in Perth. Applications are 30 deep and prices are through the roof. I manage to find an affordable rental a 5 minute drive from work, DD can walk to school and it's two streets from my sisters. Plus they allow dogs. I turn up for the viewing and am the only one there. I get the house.

It's been like this my whole life.

#22 Bomber girl

Posted 10 December 2012 - 11:59 AM

I've been having a crappy ime at work lately and I finally said enough is enough and had a few mental health days. I'm lucky that my husband understood and allowed me to de-stress the way I needed too. I'm lucky that I had lots of work mates (both current and ones I hadn't seen for a while) phone/visit/text to see if I was ok. I'm lucky that my time off allowed me to pend some much needed time with my family

#23 Bodacious Prime

Posted 10 December 2012 - 11:59 AM

I don't have even one of the things you have OP but I am still very grateful for what I have, I don't believe in luck.

I have family, faith, food on the table.
I was born in a country where I am free and relatively safe. We've just endured the toughest year of our lives, but I can still count my blessings.

#24 MoonPie

Posted 10 December 2012 - 12:00 PM

Oh my goodness yes. This year especially has been absolutely charmed.

We bought the most awesome house for <$300 000. I still grin when I come home.
DP found a great job and has done really well in it.
I have a great job and have finished my course with a distinction average. Very proud.
We have such a fantastic support network wub.gif
We aren't wealthy but we have everything we need and a bit left over to have fun with.

We just can't seem to get anything wrong this year. It's been incredible.

#25 Magnus

Posted 10 December 2012 - 12:01 PM

Like others, I feel very lucky to be born in this country, especially when I watch documentaries on ABC about third world poverty.

I've just finished postgrad and I think it's a huge privilege to be able to do further study.

I haven't had much work this year, just enough to pay for rent and a bit of food, but DP's been able to secure a decent job and has taken care of bills and bought me clothes, paid for entertainment, etc.

I have a great partner.

I'm getting along quite well with my family too.

And I'm grateful for all the usual things, like being fairly healthy, not being absolutely hideous, being fairly likeable, and having enough intelligence to at least make it through higher education.

I do feel lucky quite often, actually. It's only the money issues that sometimes stop me from feeling totally lucky all the time.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

For and against

Should Blue Ivy have been at the VMAs?

Many were quick to condemn Beyonce and Jay Z after appearing on stage at the MTV Video Music Awards with their two-year-old daughter, but others thought it was a sweet family moment. What do you think?

Toddler attacked at gym creche

Two-year-old girl Eva Ness was left with a black eye and bite marks on her face and body after an altercation with an older child at a health club's child-minding facilities. Now her parents are calling for the centre to be closed.

Pregnancy a tricky matter of timing for FIFO couples

Manipulating rosters, coordinating 'conjugal' visits, working on site with your partner; getting pregnant can prove stressful for FIFO workers.

WIN a $100 RedBalloon for Dad

Enter now for your chance to win 1 of 5 $100 RedBalloon experience vouchers. Helping you make Dad's Day EXTRA HAPPY.

Carseats have twice as many germs as a toilet

Most parents know their child's carseat is not always squeaky clean, but they might not realise just how dirty it really is.

Doctors remove foetus from 'medical marvel' after 36 years

Doctors in India have removed the skeleton of a foetus that had been inside a woman for 36 years.

Nine months in six seconds: new parents' Vine clip a hit

We?ve seen some memorable time-lapse pregnancy and birth announcement videos before. Now one new couple has taken it to the extreme, capturing it all in just a six-second Vine video.

Sonia Kruger speaks of baby joy

Celebrity mum-to-be Sonia Kruger has spoken candidly about using donor eggs and IVF to fall pregnant at age 48.

Dressing to not impress: life through the eyes of a three-year-old

When it comes to getting dressed, my three-year-old has only one criterion: ?I don?t want to look beautiful.? And now I've worked out why.

Special nappies made with love for angel babies

Angel Baby Nappies make and provide tiny bereavement cloth nappies for pre-term stillborn babies and premature babies who pass away in the NICU.

Inside the brain of a tantruming toddler

What's going on in your child's mind in the lead-up to a tantrum? And what?s the best way to respond?

5 secrets to a long-lasting relationship

When it comes to keeping your relationship strong, it?s what you do - and not what you want - that really matters.

When 'furbabies' meet real babies

I am obsessed with my dogs, and can't imagine loving them any less once my baby arrives. But that doesn't stop everyone from telling me I will.

The least popular baby names of 2013

Looking for a baby name that?s nowhere near the top 10 ? or even the top 1000? Try the bottom five.

'I was so sleep deprived I crashed my car'

There are no laws regulating driving while tired, but statistics show that driver fatigue is one of the top three contributors to the road toll.

Why are there so few sexy maternity bras?

Rather than feeling ashamed of their post-baby bodies, women should be free to buy lingerie that makes them look attractive and pretty - no matter what stage of life they're in.

Toddler Alliyah one step closer to first trip home

She has lived the first 14 months of her life in a hospital intensive care unit, but Alliyah Broadby's parents hope to finally take their little girl home with them.

'Put people before IVF profits': IVF pioneer Alan Trounson

IVF could be done for hundreds of dollars in Australia instead of $8500 if clinics stopped charging what ''the market will handle'', a pioneer of the technology says.

Expectant parents urged to swap the pub for bub

Nearly one in five women drink while pregnant, but a current campaign is trying to drive down that unhealthy statistic.

Nutella supplies threatened by bad weather

There's bad news for fans of Nutella, the gooey, chocolatey hazelnut spread.

The cost of growing your own vegies

Does it make financial sense to grow your own veggies, or are you better off ordering produce from the local food co-op?

Breastfeeding mums less likely to suffer from PND, but all need support

A new study has shown the a complex relationship between a mother?s intention to breastfeed, her ability to do so, and postnatal depression.

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Do you suffer from Precious Firstborn Syndrome?

Testing ?no more tears? shampoo in your own eyes, warming cucumber sticks so they're not cold straight from the fridge, waking a sleeping baby to check they?re still breathing: these are all symptoms of Precious Firstborn Syndrome.

Ezra's tragic death not in vain, mum says

Little Ezra was a "Harry Houdini" who loved trying to escape the family home. Now, after his tragic death, his parents are doing what they can to help others.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

Video: When adults act like children

Ever wondered what would happen if adults were allowed to act like children? This dad's hilarious video clip will give you an idea of what life would be like.

Mums hit hardest as flu cases skyrocket

The number of confirmed cases of influenza in Australia has doubled the number for the same time last year - and women are 25 per cent more likely to get it.

The mum who had four babies in nine months

Feeling exhausted due to the demands of caring for a baby? Imagine the life of this mum, who gave birth to three boys and one girl in just nine months.

Everything baby at Big W

Lowest prices on everything baby, only at Big W. Sale starts August 4 and ends August 20 2014.

Smiggle is painting the town red!

We have 3 Red Smiggle prize packs to give away! Enter by posting a photo of something red to your Instagram.

Going viral

Mum gives birth at school

After four decades in the industry, pest controller John Birkett couldn't believe what he found in one woman's bedroom.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.