TT a 1 year old

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Madnesscraves

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:33 AM

Argh! I hit send before I was ready!

Okay, I think my 1 year old is ready for TT. She has a dry nappy for at least 2 hours and poops are predictable as they often at the same time each day.

What advice do you have to encourage TT?

Edited by Madnesscraves, 10 December 2012 - 08:35 AM.

#2 greatwon2

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:38 AM

You'd be setting yourself up for a lot of work, i have no tips i wouldn't even know where to start at that age ..hopefully someone else will have an idea

#3 Clever Clogs

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:41 AM

We are TT our one year old now.

Heaps of nappy free time.
She wears training pants after her nap for the rest of the day.
Whenever I go to the toilet I sit her on her potty (we call it a toilet). At first always with a nappy on, now we take it off.

Just don't push it, take it really slow and easy!

#4 SeaPrincess

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:53 PM

Get a potty and incorporate it into daily routines (I started with bath time at around 11 months with my first, younger with the next ones).  You'll know when she's made the connection - one of mine started going in the potty every time he was sat on it, then after a month he finally asked for it.  The next one just demanded the potty one day and never wore a nappy again.

#5 mibi

Posted 13 December 2012 - 04:01 PM

One if the best indicators of TT readiness is telling you when they have done, or about to do a wee or a poo. If bub doesn't have an awareness of that, it will be a long, messy process.
My experience is with DS#1 - I thought well how would he know because the nappies keep them feeling so dry, so I just introduced the idea and it took 9months! for him to be trained - and that was with 2 pooey underpants a day. He was 3.5yrs in the end.

DS#2 was ready around 18 months but I wasn't after the trauma of training DS#1, but when we did he was trained within a month.

DD we have just trained her at 26months. It took 2 days because she was already coming up and holding her nappy and telling me "poo" or "wee".

I would also suggest taking it slow and easy - no pressure.

TBH at 12months if the nappy is dry for 2 hours I would be wondering if bub is adequately hydrated more than that bub is ready for TT.

Edited by mibi, 13 December 2012 - 04:02 PM.

#6 Natttmumm

Posted 13 December 2012 - 04:07 PM

Just make it a casual calm thing and have low expectations. She is only 1

#7 Becstarinator

Posted 13 December 2012 - 04:13 PM

You could always look up Elimination Communication for some ideas.  I haven't done it but some people swear by it.

I looked after a little girl at at daycare who was full toilet trained by the time she was 18 months old so it is possible.  However, most of the children I looked after toilet trained around the the 2.5 to 3 year mark.

#8 Baggy

Posted 13 December 2012 - 04:18 PM

I wouldn't bother personally.

DD is 20months and she gets me a nappy and says 'wee wee' or 'pooey' when she needs to be changed. She knows when she is about to go too. I still don't think she's ready for toilet training.

I'm going to even attempt it until she is at least 2.5.

If you must TT her already then I agree with this:
Just make it a casual calm thing and have low expectations. She is only 1

#9 bluedragon

Posted 13 December 2012 - 04:51 PM

Look up elimination communication, I have done this with DS from about 8 weeks but you can start anytime. I am TTing DS properly now, he is 18 months and it has been really easy, we're about 1.5 weeks in with no nappies or training pants just commando and he has a few accidents every now and then but mostly he's fine. He either tells me he needs to go or goes when I take him like before we go out or it's been a while and take him.

I think it has been so stress free because of the EC we have done, he was already able to tell me either before or after he needed to go and was very familiar with the potty and toilet and understood what they were for. We aren't doing night time training but he has already nap trained himself, refuses to wear nappies at nap time and has been dry for a week. Last night his night nappy only had one small wee in it in the morning so I suspect he might night train himself quite quickly.

If you want to start now I say go for it! If she is under 18 months I'd start with some EC, if older just go straight for normal potty training. There is quite a lot of info for free on the web on EC, I found this eBook really good too http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zEpAOgYnqM

I used this eBook for the recent potty training we've done, it followed on from the EC really well http://www.jamieglowacki.com/

#10 ~~HappyMummy~~

Posted 19 December 2012 - 05:25 PM

I think you're a bit nuts to even consider it (said in the nicest possible way).

My son is 4 months older than yours and there is no way he's anywhere near ready to be TT.  He's a baby.  Actually I've just trained his 2.5yo sister.

To me, TT means kids are able to get to the potty or toilet, pull down their pants, do their business, wipe, pull up pants, etc.

I think you're setting yourself up for a long messy road.  My opinion only though!  All the best if you do it

#11 whale-woman

Posted 19 December 2012 - 05:50 PM

I was reading some studies looking at the history of toilet training and it seems that with the advent of hot water on tap, washing machines and later disposable nappies the effort required to keep a kid in nappies has dropped massively with a corresponding delay in the time that kids are toilet trained. A few generations ago I suspect no one would have batted an eye lid at your plan. Certainly all the evidence I've looked at suggests the earlier you start TT the earlier it's completed. Personally If you're up for it, I'd have no issues giving it a go. I hate nappies and are willing to go through a lot to get rid of them and certainly don't understand the culture of waiting for a kid to say it wants out of nappies/to use the toilet before considering it 'ready' and then expecting it to be sorted in a couple of days. The advice I was given is that a kid who stays dry through their nap is capable of TT. Go slow with it and back off if it's causing issues. My MIL had her sons trained very early using a potty chair as they routinely pooped after meals and just learn to go that way. If your DD has a pooping routine it sounds an easy place to start and if you get her so youre not changing poopy nappies that's awesome.

#12 Tigerdog

Posted 19 December 2012 - 05:56 PM

That's not toilet-training - that's just predicting and catching the mess before it happens.  I'd probably be waiting at least until after the age of 2 before actively doing anything.

#13 SeaPrincess

Posted 19 December 2012 - 05:59 PM

QUOTE (~~HappyMummy~~ @ 19/12/2012, 03:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
To me, TT means kids are able to get to the potty or toilet, pull down their pants, do their business, wipe, pull up pants, etc.

I disagree with this, but then it's all about expectations.  To me, TT means reliably able to tell me they need to go - if it was a nappy, I'd still have to strip them down to change, so what difference does that make?  The youngest of my children to achieve this was 20 months.  My #3 is not quite 3.5 and we are completely nappy free.

#14 tilley1019

Posted 19 December 2012 - 06:08 PM

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to mention another forum, but are you on babycenter?
On the US version there's a fabulous group called something like Toilet training your baby, and in the sticky they have so many good ideas on how to implement toilet training. My bub is 11 months, and once she's able to walk I think we'll be giving it a go as well.

The girls there are really supportive, there's journals to read about other toilet training experiences, and alot of helpful links. Some of the stuff there is so simple, but really helpful. My sister in law is toilet training her 3 year old and that sounds like alot more work psychologically than the younger babies that feature in the group.
My understanding is that it's easier if the child can walk and say/sign that they need to go to the toilet.

Good luck!

#15 Madnesscraves

Posted 20 December 2012 - 08:53 AM

Thanks everyone. So far DD is able to tell me when she's about to do a poo so I can get her to the toilet on time. I figured i'd start with the poos and work my way over to the wees then tackle night time toilet training later.

While I get everyone's opinions of what toilet training is, even if it's just catching the wees and poos in the toilet instead of the nappy using elimination communication, surely, that's just as effective as TT at 2.5? they learn as time goes thats where they do their business.

It hasn't been hard. She doesn't get upset being on the toliet. I take her to it when she wants to poo, and after eating breakfast/lunch/dinner which instead of using 4-5 nappies a day I am down to 2-3 nappies a day. its not much of my time to sit her on the loo for between 5-10 minutes. we just sit there read a book, sing a song, play a game until she goes. If she was really upset, I'd just not bother at all, but she's happy enough to sit there. original.gif

Thanks for the info on the other forum. I'll have a look over there!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Share the little things that make you smile

We're giving away a Mountain Buggy nano, the ultimate travel stroller - and here are some of the great entries so far.

Toddler pleads for return of "stolen" nose

A two-year-old's reaction to a game of "got your nose" shows it doesn't take much to make a toddler cry.

The 15 photos new parents share (and five they don't)

From the first scan photo to the baby covered in cake at their first birthday party, there are 15 photos most parents seem to share - and some they don't.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

Breastfeeding friendly café goes viral

A photo of a breastfeeding-friendly sign in a cafe has been posted to Facebook and shared by hundreds of mums around the world.

First look at the Bugaboo Bee3

The newest Bugaboo Bee ? the Bee3 ? offers a variety of improved features, including a much asked-for bassinet and a rainbow of colour combinations.

Childcare costs, not paid leave, the real issue for parents

Given the choice between maintaining their wage for six months to have a child, or having a reduced rate of pay for a time but a better deal on childcare when returning to work, there are no odds on what most working parents would choose.

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

We lost three babies in two years

Our first pregnancy ended the way we all expected it to - with a healthy, happy baby in our arms. What a true blessing he was, for we were not to know the heartache we were about endure.

Family turned back from doomed flight MH17

'There must have been someone watching over us and saying, 'You must not get on that flight,' says mother who narrowly avoided boarding the Malaysian Airlines flight which exploded in mid-air over the Ukraine last night.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Adorable Skeanie loafers for kids

Your little toddler or preschooler can now get their nautical on with a new range of classic loafers by Australian show brand Skeanie.

My baby is hypermobile

For months, I have been telling myself not to worry that Jasmin isn't crawling or walking. This week I heard the term hypermobile for the first time.

When you don?t bond with your baby

They say that there is no bond greater than the bond between a mother and her child. But for some women, the mother-baby bond takes more time and effort to develop.

Yumi Stynes: Having a baby after a 10-year break

After a long break, Yumi Stynes gets a reminder of the pain - and the pleasure - of giving birth.

Grieving father asks for help to Photoshop his daughter's image

When Nathan Steffel's daughter Sophia died from a liver condition at just 6 weeks old, he reached out for someone to create a beautiful image of his little girl.

Raising kids in a 'low media' home

Can you imagine a life without TV or computers? Some parents are opting for a low-tech, screen-free life for their kids.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

The beautiful moment a baby was born at the side of a road

It's not where she expected to give birth, but mum Corrine Cinatl is delighted that her daughter's roadside arrival was captured in a series of beautiful photos.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

The Nappy Collective starts new drive

It's that time of year when the dedicated volunteers at The Nappy Collective do their bit to help out mums and children in need - and they need your help.

Baby shower cake wrecks

From misshapen cake babies to questionable text, from odd colour choices to internal organ recreation, these are the baby shower cakes that taste forgot.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

Pregnancy progression photo ideas

Want to record your pregnancy as your belly grows? Here are some creative, fun ideas for photo shoots along the way.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Tin can craft and DIY ideas

Got a few old formula, Milo or coffee cans around the house? Use these fantastic upcycling ideas to create items for around the house and yard.

Dads meet their newborn for the first time

Emotional photos of two fathers meeting their newborn son have resonated with viewers worldwide, attracting thousands of Facebook likes and shares.

Skin safety isn't just a summer worry

Lax about the slip slop slap with your kids as weather turns cooler? Here's a reminder as to why we have to remain vigilant for our children?s future health.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Creative sleeping baby photoshoots

See how some parents and photographers have captured sleeping babies in unusual positions and using different props.

DIY kitchen and food hacks

DIY your way to a better kitchen and make cooking easier with our clever hacks. (Some content reproduced with permission from mashable.com.)

Winter warmers for babies and toddlers

Your baby or toddler will be nice and snug in these beautiful and fun winter pieces. Most are hand-made or knitted, and they're all designed to keep your little one toastie - and adorable!

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.