Merry Christmas from the Mainstreet Gang
Aussie Shepherd elves.

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 FiveAus

Posted 10 December 2012 - 04:42 AM

Yesterday we did our annual Christmas dogs photoshoot. I set up the "studio" in the kitchen, using the various appliances to hold the backdrop in place. The gas rings on the stove were used to tether the lights and tinsel, then I got the dogs.
One decided she knew what to do and positioned herself in place, and as soon as I popped a hat on her head, she absconded.
One thought spinning in circles of excitement was gonna get him a treat faster.
One took one look at the setting and vanished out the back door.
One went and hid. And one hung around tripping me up just in case I had something for her to eat.

But all were persuaded to pose, and they all ended up having fun, with the help of some dog chocolates.

So here are the Aussie Shepherd Christmas elves of 2012, with very best wishes from Mainstreet kennels.

Dusty is the elf who represents all the children who aren't getting what they want for Christmas. See that look of displeasure......

Isaak is the elf for the kids who are planning a dawn raid on the pressies. Notice that cheeky but completely innocent grin.......

Shae is the elf for the adults who are just over it. Thank goodness it only comes once a year, once a decade would be plenty........

Ripley is the elf of Christmas cheer. His big happy smile represents all that is fun about Christmas.......

And Jessica wishes all the parents, kids and pets a happy and safe festive season.......

#2 MarthaJones

Posted 10 December 2012 - 04:46 PM

You either have some very well behaved puppies or some major patients  biggrin.gif .

Very cute doggies.
Wish my two dogs would keep still long enough to get a picture, let alone wear reindeer ears for me.

#3 Guest_~Karla~_*

Posted 10 December 2012 - 06:16 PM

Awwww. wub.gif

You certainly nailed the descriptions too! laughing2.gif They have such animated faces!

#4 Guest_Maybelle_*

Posted 10 December 2012 - 06:17 PM

Gorgeous  wub.gif

#5 FiveAus

Posted 10 December 2012 - 06:21 PM

Hahaha, both patience and good dogs. But also lots of experience and plenty of tricks up my sleeve. I have a friend with a 10 week old German Shorthaired Pointer puppy. She wanted pics of him but said there was no way I'd get him to pose. I did, I had him sitting on a chair for me and I got some wonderful photos.

Don't underestimate your dogs willingness to please you. If you show them what to do (ie, keep putting them back in place and tell them to stay there), they eventually get the idea. Lots of praise, lots of treats, and if you're a beginner, an extra person helps.
But I did my guys on my own yesterday. The ones who wouldn't keep hats on heads got tinsel around their necks. I had the background set up with more tinsel and lights so that even if I couldn't put anything on the dog, the photos would still look festive and Christmassy.

#6 FiveAus

Posted 10 December 2012 - 06:23 PM

QUOTE (~Karla~ @ 10/12/2012, 07:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Awwww. wub.gif

You certainly nailed the descriptions too! laughing2.gif They have such animated faces!

Dusty was the first model and when she realised I had doggy chocolates, she tried to be in EVERY photo. In fact, most of the pics were taken with her between me and the subject because she thought if she got in front of the camera, she'd get a treat. But no way was she gonna look like she was enjoying it! LOL!

#7 FeralRebelWClaws

Posted 10 December 2012 - 07:25 PM

That is awesome! Next year I might try to get Christmas pics of the dogs... or if I am brave this weekend

#8 claptrap

Posted 10 December 2012 - 07:29 PM

Jessica is still my favourite, OP!

DS was disappointed that they're not Bernese Mountain Dogs but still says that they are "oh so cute".

#9 FiveAus

Posted 10 December 2012 - 07:45 PM

QUOTE (dogged @ 10/12/2012, 08:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Jessica is still my favourite, OP!

DS was disappointed that they're not Bernese Mountain Dogs but still says that they are "oh so cute".

My husband loves Bernese Mountain dogs....he'd seen plenty of photos of them, then one day I dragged him across a dog show to meet one. And he never realised they were quite THAT big! LOL!

I love them too, but they don't live long enough and I'm not about to hand over my heart on an 8 or 9 year contract.

Isaak often gets mistaken for one, but I think the people who ask if he's a BMD have never actually seen one in the flesh. Isaak is about 21 inches at the shoulder and weighs around 22 kgs. He is considerably smaller and lighter.

#10 eilca

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:33 PM

I have decided that I would like you to set up a blog and fill it daily with your photos of your dogs.  Simply beautiful and make me smile each time.  I will show my girls tomorrow when they are awake.

#11 la di dah

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:37 PM

They are beautiful. Just very beautiful dogs.

I've always thought merles sort of all look alike but I wouldn't confuse Shae and Ripley I don't think. Very different expressive faces.

#12 la di dah

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:37 PM

I've always thought merles sort of all look alike but I wouldn't confuse Shae and Ripley I don't think. Very different expressive faces.

#13 FiveAus

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:48 PM

QUOTE (la di dah @ 10/12/2012, 09:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

None of them look alike. Once you get entrenched in the breed you can easily recognise individual dogs, different families etc. None of my tris look alike, they all have very different faces and different builds. None if my dogs are related to each other with the exception of Ripley and Dusty. They have the same grandfather but neither if them resemble him at all. He was a huge winning imported dog and he's the grandfather of a lot of Aussies in this country.

#14 joy07

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:06 PM

Your dogs are beautiful.  Saw a thread where you had photos of them before. Real stunners they are and I love your character descriptions of their personalities.  You mentioned something about them being calmer than some other working dog breeds?

I have a rescue dog that has two different breed types listed on vet paperwork. One is border collie cross the other is Aussie shep.  

She has one really bad trait and even though she loves learning new things we have tried everything this past year to stop her jumping on everyone and mouthing us.  She can be dangerous because her little nips when she jumps are often close to faces, adults.  We have kids, so their faces are easier to get to. She doesn't mean to hurt, she is actually really caring.  But now no visitors want to go outside because she hurts. Our kids are ok, she gets excited for a tiny bit and settles quickly with them, especially our youngest DD 6

#15 FiveAus

Posted 11 December 2012 - 05:05 AM

QUOTE (joy07 @ 10/12/2012, 10:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Your dogs are beautiful.  Saw a thread where you had photos of them before. Real stunners they are and I love your character descriptions of their personalities.  You mentioned something about them being calmer than some other working dog breeds?

I have a rescue dog that has two different breed types listed on vet paperwork. One is border collie cross the other is Aussie shep.  

She has one really bad trait and even though she loves learning new things we have tried everything this past year to stop her jumping on everyone and mouthing us.  She can be dangerous because her little nips when she jumps are often close to faces, adults.  We have kids, so their faces are easier to get to. She doesn't mean to hurt, she is actually really caring.  But now no visitors want to go outside because she hurts. Our kids are ok, she gets excited for a tiny bit and settles quickly with them, especially our youngest DD 6

Unusual to hear about an Aussie Shepherd cross in this country. I'm sure there are some, but they are really unusual. Breeders keep their lines very close, and are very, very careful about who buys their puppies and they're generally sold with conditions to desex the pup by a certain age, and all the breeders I know follow up to make sure it's done.

Nipping while jumping is hard core herding behaviour. She's trying to get you to move along to where she wants you. Try a herding trick........use a stick, about the length of a walking stick and always carry it with you outside. When she approaches you to jump, slam the end of the stick down onto the ground and say "NO!" She won't go where the stick is. When she moves to come in from another angle, do the same thing.

We use that trick at herding to get the dog to move where we want them to move to.......wherever we put the stick, the dog will veer away and go in the opposite direction. So if I don't want the dog in front of me, I place the stick in front of me and she has to go behind me and the sheep, and that teaches her to keep the sheep together and to stay behind me with them.

#16 joy07

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:28 PM

QUOTE (FiveAus @ 11/12/2012, 06:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Unusual to hear about an Aussie Shepherd cross in this country. I'm sure there are some, but they are really unusual. Breeders keep their lines very close, and are very, very careful about who buys their puppies and they're generally sold with conditions to desex the pup by a certain age, and all the breeders I know follow up to make sure it's done.

Nipping while jumping is hard core herding behaviour. She's trying to get you to move along to where she wants you. Try a herding trick........use a stick, about the length of a walking stick and always carry it with you outside. When she approaches you to jump, slam the end of the stick down onto the ground and say "NO!" She won't go where the stick is. When she moves to come in from another angle, do the same thing.

We use that trick at herding to get the dog to move where we want them to move to.......wherever we put the stick, the dog will veer away and go in the opposite direction. So if I don't want the dog in front of me, I place the stick in front of me and she has to go behind me and the sheep, and that teaches her to keep the sheep together and to stay behind me with them.

Thanks for the suggestion FiveAus. That is something I haven't tried. Might freak out our little dog, but she knows how much we have been trying to stop our bigger one from jumping.  Sometimes our little one runs over to get inbetween us to stop us from being jumped on.

#17 Chelli

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:29 PM

How gorgeous is that! Thanks for sharing original.gif

#18 joy07

Posted 13 December 2012 - 04:12 PM

FiveAus, I took a long walking type cane out and I didn't even need to slam it down and say no. She just moved away and didn't attempt to jump at or on me, although she tried two different angles and I just moved the stick and she just calmed down.

#19 FiveAus

Posted 13 December 2012 - 04:16 PM

QUOTE (joy07 @ 13/12/2012, 05:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
FiveAus, I took a long walking type cane out and I didn't even need to slam it down and say no. She just moved away and didn't attempt to jump at or on me, although she tried two different angles and I just moved the stick and she just calmed down.

Yay! That's fantastic. Glad t worked. I've also recommended that method for getting a dog to stop surging ahead of the owner when walking......she just blocked the way with the stick and the dog stayed back next to her.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Heartwarming prank gives single mum the house she was hired to clean

Cara Simmons arrived at work to clean a large and beautiful house in time for a party planned for that evening. It was soon hers.

Why we should stop telling new parents to 'enjoy every moment'

A few weeks ago, some dear friends of mine had their first baby. As the proud dad texted me a picture I had to fight the natural instinct to say “Enjoy every moment!”

Transgender dad breastfeeds his babies

A transgender man who breastfed his first baby - despite having his breasts removed as part of his transformation from female to male - has now had a second child.

Couple face $1 million medical bill and bankruptcy after babymoon birth

A Canadian couple were slammed with a million dollar medical bill after their daughter was prematurely during their babymoon.

Win one of 5 Little Tikes Cozy Coupe Sport

Australia?s No 1 selling car is now available in a Sports model and we have 5 to give away to some lucky Essential Baby families.

Cigarettes, junk food dominate supermarket sales growth

One in every five dollars spent at supermarkets goes on cigarettes or junk food, according to industry data.

Teacher under fire for breastfeeding in class

There is no doubt mums have a right to continue breastfeeding after they have returned to work, but one teacher in the US has taken it to the extreme.

Video: Baby sniffs beardless dad to make sure it's him

She looks him up and down and then touches his chin, but baby Lindsey still isn't sure this clean-shaven man is her dad.

The tragedy of losing a favourite teddy bear

We were green and uninitiated, perhaps a little naïve when it came to the favourite toy responsibility.

It's possible to workout while pregnant

Medical experts say intense fitness routines can be done safely during pregnancy - if the mums-to-be follow some guidelines.

Baby for Asher Keddie and Vincent Fantauzzo

Fans followed every step of her on-screen pregnancy in Offspring, now Asher Keddie is going to be a mum in real life too.

What parents really want for their kids

Are our hopes, dreams and expectations for our children what they really need?

'I had a feeling something was seriously wrong': the fight for Kaden's diagnosis

Before even giving birth, Katie Myers' maternal instincts warned her something was wrong with her baby.

When your pregnancy causes a relationship rift

Some dads-to-be don't miss a beat when their partner is pregnant; others struggle with a range of issues and can become withdrawn, right when their support is needed most.

Couple uses group photo trick to announce pregnancy to loved ones

Katharine and Kris Camilli devised a clever trick to immortalise their family and friends' reaction to their exciting pregnancy news.

Why Tracey Spicer has given up make-up

"After 30 years on television, I had become what I despised: a painted doll who spent an hour a day and close to $200 a week putting on a mask."

Empowering bikini photo of 46-year-old mum goes viral

When a group of teenagers made rude remarks about her body as she walked past them in a bikini at the local beach, Julie Cross refused to cover up.

Devastated widow discovers she's pregnant the day before husband's funeral

They had been trying to conceive a baby for seven years. Tragically Kristy Kirchner found out she was pregnant the day before her husband Royce's funeral.

Win a family pass to Disney Live!

We have 4 family passes to give away to see Disney Live! presents Three Classic Fairy Tales, touring Australia this December/January.

Gabriella Goat sues Peppa Pig

Every toddler's favourite television pig is being sued by an Italian woman who shares a name with a Peppa Pig character.

Meet the Mpregs, the male pregnancy enthusiasts

"Men can't have babies - that's something only women can do! But our community is full of like-minded people who wish otherwise."

Your new motherhood survival kit

Forget about the bright, pretty baby things - while you're in survival mode, all you'll need are the essentials.

More than 100,000 cars recalled globally after death of pregnant woman

The announcement of a mass recall comes as Malaysian police investigate the death of pregnant woman in July.

I had a 'good baby' but still suffered from postnatal depression

I had a much wanted precious baby girl, a 'good baby' who slept well, self settled and was mostly content. It just seemed implausible to think I could succumb to depression.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win one of 5 Little Tikes Cozy Coupe Sport

Australia?s No 1 selling car is now available in a Sports model and we have 5 to give away to some lucky Essential Baby families.

Join PADDINGTON on the red carpet!

To celebrate the release of PADDINGTON, we are giving five lucky winners the chance to win a family pass to the exclusive Australian Premiere in Sydney on December 7!

Knowing you are one of the lucky ones

I am secure, confident and strong, but the responsibility of protecting my children can almost bring me undone.

Why I am so emotional now I have kids?

There are so many ways in which parenthood changes us as women, but one of the most noticeable, for me, has been the changing state of my emotions.

Baby survives despite sharing womb with 'foreign body'

Baby Maia was conceived against the odds, only to find she was sharing a womb with an ominous "foreign body".

Video: Baby shows dog how to jump - or vice versa

They say dog is man's best friend, but this playful pooch seems to have chosen a jumping baby as her number one buddy.

10 ways to soothe a crying baby

New paernts can get frustrated when their newborn gets fussy and can't settle down. When you're feeling overwhelmed, try some of these simple tips to help soothe your baby.

20 baby names that are becoming more popular every year

The data-lovers at nameberry.com have been at it again – this time, they’ve discovered the names that are continually rising up the ranks, ready to take out some top spots in the next few years.

10 great meals to make for new parents

Ideally, you want to give food that isn’t expensive to make, isn't too difficult to create, and freezes well; stews, bakes, soups and pasta sauces are perfect.

'It's not you, it's me': Boston bombing survivor mum to have leg amputated

Rebekah DiMartino is going through a break-up. She even wrote a farewell love letter. But it's not to her husband.

What it's like to go through early menopause

In a cruel twist, Carla had been breastfeeding and perimenopausal at the same time. But she's far from the only one to go through menopause early.

Restaurant served alcohol to two-year-old

Busy restaurants can be forgiven for getting food and drink orders mixed up from time to time, but not when the confusion leads to a two-year-old being served an alcoholic cocktail instead of the child-friendly beverage they ordered.

Julia Morris tells of miscarriage on a flight

Julia Morris has spoken about the devastation of suffering a miscarriage while on an international flight.

Woman's survival after birth 'a story of two miracles'

A US mother is home and tending to her new baby less than a month after surviving without a pulse for 45 minutes.

Eating ice may give mental boost to the iron deficient: study

A new study proposes that, like a strong cup of coffee, ice may give those with insufficient iron a much-needed mental boost.

Tiny lives in caring hands: Thank U NICU Day

Each year in Australia, over 40,000 newborns need the help of a special care nursery or neonatal intensive care unit. One day a year, the staff are honoured by the parents they help through those dark days.

I paid $50,000 to have a girl

This time my husband and I hadn't taken any chances. We had paid $50,000 and travelled 13,000 kilometres to make sure the baby growing inside me was female.

Weird pregnancy products

Some pregnancy products come to market and are just awesome. Others just leave you scratching your head.

Dear firstborn, I'm sorry

Being a first-time mum is tough for so many reasons – particularly because you really have no idea what you're doing.

A trace of sesame could kill my son

Helen Richardson son's had two anaphylactic reactions in a month. It's traumatic for everyone.

When you know before the test says yes

It wasn't a pregnancy test or missed period that told me I was pregnant with my second baby; it was too early for those things. A doner kebab told me I was going to be a mum again.

What not to do when your partner is in labour

Robbie Williams stole the show during his wife Ayda's labour, pretty much demonstrating everything on the "what not to do when your partner is in labour" list.

Best maternity swimwear and beach cover-ups

Thinking about a tropical babymoon but have nothing to wear? Here are some great swimwear and beach cover-up options for mums-to-be.

Dad breastfeeds his babies

Trevor Macdonald has now been pregnant twice, and is successfully breastfeeding his newest family member.

How many weeks til Christmas?

On your To-Do list

Get the "Santa" shopping done without the kids in tow.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.