Showering and Newborn

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 Wacky Wobbler

Posted 10 December 2012 - 02:52 AM

Hi,

I have a 5 wk old and am struggling to have my morning shower when DH is at work. I can't shower when DH gets up because he gets up at 4.30am and I can't shower when DS has a sleep because he doesn't sleep during the day (sleeps very well overnight). My Mum and Sister have been coming over to look after DS so I can shower but thy cannot do this forever.

What do you do with your newborn when you need to shower?

Thanks

#2 Elk

Posted 10 December 2012 - 02:59 AM

I used to put DD in a bouncer just outside the bathroom door, that way I could see if she needed me.

It made me more relaxed being able to see her while I showered.

Edited by EmmyLou86, 10 December 2012 - 03:04 AM.

#3 Lorem ipsum

Posted 10 December 2012 - 03:00 AM

I put him in a bouncer in the bathroom, just after a feed. He is usually pretty happy there

#4 Pop-to-the-shops

Posted 10 December 2012 - 03:03 AM

I pop mine in a little bouncer seat and take it into the bathroom.

Some day sleep needs to happen though at some point. I'm sure it will settle down in a few weeks. That age they an be quite restless.

Sometimes I have them in the evening after the kids have gone to bed.

#5 a letter to Elise.

Posted 10 December 2012 - 03:53 AM

What happens if you just put your baby down in a cot/bassinet for a few minutes?

If I put my babies down, and they were content or just grizzly, I would have a shower then. If they were crying and I really needed to get ready, I'd put them on the bassinet on the floor of the bathroom, and just have a really fast shower. I'd quickly get dressed and then put them in a sling while I did my hair etc.

I know it's really stressful when they cry or grizzle, but so long as they were not hysterically crying, I would just dive in for a quick rinse while they could see me from the bassinet.

I have a 3 year old and and a 6 month old, and it just hasn't been possible to never leave the baby for a minute or two while I dress the older one or something.

Generally though, I wait until DH is home in the evening. The children go in the bath together. I supervise while DH has a shower, and then we swap. If I am home alone, I put the baby in her cot, quickly strip everyone down, put DS in the shower playing on the floor, grab DD and jump in the shower with her. We all get out together, and I wrap a towel around DD and myself, DS does his own. We go out to the bedroom, I put her on her change table, and stand next to her as I dry myself, and dress - she is wrapped in a towel so she won't get cold. Then I dress DD. Then I convince DS to stop dancing around in the nude to put clothes on!

#6 Feral-as-Meggs

Posted 10 December 2012 - 04:36 AM

QUOTE (EmmyLou86 @ 10/12/2012, 03:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I used to put DD in a bouncer just outside the bathroom door, that way I could see if she needed me.

I had a second hand bouncer that lived in the bathroom - handy for showers and going to the loo.

#7 mini mac

Posted 10 December 2012 - 05:19 AM

QUOTE (Matthias' mum @ 10/12/2012, 01:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What happens if you just put your baby down in a cot/bassinet for a few minutes?

If I put my babies down, and they were content or just grizzly, I would have a shower then. If they were crying and I really needed to get ready, I'd put them on the bassinet on the floor of the bathroom, and just have a really fast shower. I'd quickly get dressed and then put them in a sling while I did my hair etc.

I know it's really stressful when they cry or grizzle, but so long as they were not hysterically crying, I would just dive in for a quick rinse while they could see me from the bassinet.

Yep. If you've attended babys general needs and its only grizzling and you need a shower, you have a shower. Especially if you're having a bit of a hard time with the baby, all the more reason to have a freshen up and have a breather, even if you can see/hear baby unsettled while showering, you still need to be able to function as a person, then you can look after baby with a clear mind. You'll feel better for it.

Oh, and if you're wanting a long relaxing shower where you can just switch off I suggest waiting til your partner gets home or baby is down for the night. You'll enjoy it so much more than fretting if baby will stir.

#8 Carmen02

Posted 10 December 2012 - 05:25 AM

QUOTE (EmmyLou86 @ 10/12/2012, 12:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

thats what i did..I felt so much better after a morning shower!

#9 Feral timtam

Posted 10 December 2012 - 05:36 AM

Newborns aren't likely to get into trouble if you leave them awake in the cot for a couple of minutes so you can grab a quick shower, not like a mischievous 3 year old unsupervised near a bookshelf will.

I'd give mine a feed, change their nappies, swaddle them and pop them back in the cot while I had a shower. If they were awake and fussy they went in the bouncer by the bathroom door.

#10 eachschoolholidays

Posted 10 December 2012 - 05:36 AM

I too put a bouncer in the bathroom

#11 Steggles

Posted 10 December 2012 - 05:40 AM

Take them in with you original.gif have some relaxing skin to skin time - might calm baby down and then you can get out, dress and feed to sleep original.gif

#12 jobo77

Posted 10 December 2012 - 05:43 AM

Another one for the bouncer in the bathroom! No way could I function without a morning shower  original.gif

#13 Sweet like a lemon

Posted 10 December 2012 - 06:03 AM

QUOTE (Steggles @ 10/12/2012, 06:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Take them in with you original.gif have some relaxing skin to skin time - might calm baby down and then you can get out, dress and feed to sleep original.gif

That's some trick being able to shower while holding a 5 week old. I'm not sure I would try this. I'm not coordinated and I need my hands to wash. I also like a steaming hot shower not the tepid temperature needed for babies.
Another vote for baby bouncer at the door.

#14 Soontobegran

Posted 10 December 2012 - 07:23 AM

Another user of a bouncer or a bassinette. Sometimes in the bathroom and sometimes just outside.
If they were asleep even for a just a short while I would leave them in their rooms alone for the time I had a shower.
As they became toddlers I would bring them into the bathroom and sit them on the floor with toys if they weren't having a nap.
On a very unsettled day I would just wait until DH got home, I could not have gone without a shower  sad.gif

#15 leisamd

Posted 10 December 2012 - 07:30 AM

This is what I was going to say.  I absolutely love showering with my newborns. *sigh*

Failing that, like if I need my hands to wash my hair, the bouncer/pram in the bathroom was what I did too.

#16 I*Love*Christmas

Posted 10 December 2012 - 07:34 AM

My DS hated the bouncer so I would drag the swing to the door and he would go in there while I had a shower. He would usually fall asleep too!!

If only it were that easy now. If I have a shower while the kids are awake they either have to come in with me (showering with a 1 & 4 yr old is so much fun) or they do something naughty while I am in there.

#17 lozoodle

Posted 10 December 2012 - 07:36 AM

Put them in the cot and go shower.

It doesn't matter if they are asleep or not. And yes, sometimes they cry. But they are safe in the cot and you need your shower and it will make you feel better.

I've never understood the "can't manage to shower" thing that a lot of people on here say. I can't imagine NOT showering post birth with all the bleeding etc going on. And that is coming from someone who had a reflux baby who screamed all day long.

With DD2 I'd put her on the bathroom floor in the bouncer, just so I could keep watch on her and make sure DD1 didn't try to pick her up or anything.

Edited by lozoodle, 10 December 2012 - 07:36 AM.

#18 mumoffivepoppets

Posted 10 December 2012 - 07:36 AM

I used a bouncer for newborn, then they graduated to one of those seat things with all the toys, and some mornings when they are older and on solids they are strapped into their high chair with some toast and I wheel them into the bathroom. Kill two birds with one stone ....

I cannot possibly wake up or feel remotely refreshed for the day if I don't shower, it keeps me going and makes me feel nice.

You don't have to stay for hours in the shower, 3 minutes of spruce up time really makes the work of difference to your day.  If baby grizzels on the floor for a couple of minutes then so be it.

When DD was born, DS was 13 months old. One in bouncer, one in high chair, and the bigger kids would watch tv...... no problem.

#19 Fright bat

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:42 AM

Five weeks is the easiest time to have a shower - most babies (even reflux ones) are pretty happy on their own in a bouncer if fed, clean etc. If you don't have a bouncer, a couple folded up towels on the bathroom floor are also fine, or just outside the door.

If you don't get your newborn used to spending a little bit of awake time on the floor by themselves, the constant parental attention will be much harder to deal with when they are much more determined and vocal 8 month olds!

#20 casime

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:49 AM

Some day sleep needs to happen though at some point. I'm sure it will settle down in a few weeks. That age they an be quite restless.

Hate to break it to you, but it doesn't always change.  DS rarely slept at all during the day from the time he was born.  He's nearly a year now and might get twenty minutes a few times a week if that.

#21 rainycat

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:02 AM

Bouncer, rocker or pram just outside the door.  When they were bigger i used their high chairs.

#22 au*lit

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:10 AM

Our bouncer lived downstairs, so if DS was awake I would line a washing basket with towels and put him in it in a semi-reclined position where we could see each other.

#23 clm1982

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:24 AM

Like the others i would make sure baby is settled, ie fed, changed etc then put her in the bouncer in the bathroom while i had a shower.

#24 Sentient Puddle

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:26 AM

Put them in the cot and go shower.

It doesn't matter if they are asleep or not. And yes, sometimes they cry. But they are safe in the cot and you need your shower and it will make you feel better.

I've never understood the "can't manage to shower" thing that a lot of people on here say. I can't imagine NOT showering post birth with all the bleeding etc going on. And that is coming from someone who had a reflux baby who screamed all day long.
Yep this!

#25 Mum2TwoDSs

Posted 10 December 2012 - 11:18 AM

I would find that really hard. It's so slippery and I am no octopus.

I have never taken a shower without DH around unfortunately. I am just too scared. My DS can yelp and escalates into big crying in a minute if he wants me to carry him, even with me sitting next to him is no use.

If your baby is not like mine haha a bouncer in the bathroom sounds good.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Tell us what you think

to WIN 1 of 2 $500 Coles/Myer gift cards

Dealing with a toddler's morning tantrums

Your schedule is not important to your two-year-old, and you cannot convince her otherwise. So what can you do?

Child in suitcase 'could have died eight years ago'

A child whose remains were dumped in a suitcase in the South Australian bush is believed to have been a girl aged between two-and-a-half to four.

MP breastfeeds baby during parliamentary session

An Argentinian mum and politician has caused a stir on social media after being filmed breastfeeding her baby.

My baby's first seizure

It was 1am on a cold winter's night when I woke suddenly to the screams of my 12-month-old son. Our lives were about to change forever.

Portable pools 'more dangerous than permanent ones'

Inflatable and portable children's pools may be required to be sold with compulsory fencing to prevent backyard drownings, with some experts even floating the idea of a ban.

Heartbreaking moment mum kisses her one-week-old goodbye

At 11.07am on April 2 this year, Sarah Marriott welcomed baby Sebastian into the world.

The amazing Tee Pee bed and kid-friendly Frankie Bunk bed

These kids' beds definitely fit the brief of providing personality and personal space for little people who are moving up in the world.

The funny things kids say when you're pregnant

Since becoming noticeably pregnant, my son has taken more of an interest in the sibling he'll soon have.

The real problem with having one child

In this age of political correctness, it seems the one subject still subject to discrimination is that of the Only Child.

Six-week-old baby found dead, believed stabbed

A neighbour heard a child screaming before a baby was found dead, believed to have been stabbed, in a house in Newcastle.

The fire hazard in more than 70,000 Australian homes

So far, 206 Samsung washing machines have caught fire and some have exploded. But many remain in people's homes.

How having a baby can bring on OCD

We all know that having a baby can turn your life upside down - and it can also bring a raft of new anxieties and worries.

IVF gender selection being considered for Australian parents

Couples using IVF may be able to choose the gender of their babies and women could be financially compensated for donating their eggs.

The best age to get married (according to the latest study)

Not too young, and not too old. That's reportedly the best age to get married. Not everyone agrees.

Yes, you can get pregnant before your period returns post-baby

After giving birth, the last thing you want to think about is contraception. But you can get pregnant before your period comes back.

Fellow diner rewards mum after toddler's tantrum

Parents of toddlers everywhere know the feeling. After working up the courage to take your child out for lunch or dinner in public you are rewarded with a mid-meal meltdown. 

IKEA begins massive safety campaign after two toddler deaths

Two children were killed when pieces from their Malm furniture line tipped over.

Beaneasy: sweet nursery furniture with a twist

If you're looking to introduce an organic element into your baby's nursery but want to step away from natural timber, we have the perfect alternative.

A dad's guide to hyperemesis

I am in no way qualified to advise women on how to cope with hyperemesis, but I've learnt some lessons that might be worth sharing with other partners.

Woman adopts best friend's four daughters after cancer tragedy

Best friends share everything - and for these two life-long friends, that includes family.

Baby Leo's mum excluded from $500K trust 'for her own protection'

Samuel Forrest didn't want his wife as a trustee of their baby Leo's half million dollar trust for her own "protection", it has emerged.

Confirmed: men gain weight when they become dads

Men who become fathers experience weight gain and an increase in body mass index, a measurement of body fat based on height and weight, according to a new, large-scale study

Carer investigated over washing machine photo posted 'for a laugh'

She said the photo of a boy with Down syndrome in a washing machine was taken just for fun, but no one else was laughing.

Mum's premature labour nightmare after high tea salmonella outbreak

An opulent high tea at a luxury Melbourne hotel has left 44 people with salmonella poisoning - including a pregnant woman, who went into early labour.

The day my son started a fire

Would you know what to do in a fire emergency? How safe is your home and family?

Prince George celebrates second birthday

Prince George's second birthday has been marked by the release of an official picture showing the toddler smiling as he is held by his proud beaming father.

Which beauty treatments are safe in pregnancy?

Is it safe to use fake tan, hair dye and nail varnish during pregnancy?

The five ways I know my 'baby' is no longer a baby

The truth is, I can no longer deny that my walking, babbling, somewhat-independent little miss is no longer a bona fide 'baby'.

Review: Cybex Platinum PRIAM pram

I'm not usually one who believes in love at first sight but that's exactly what happened when I first saw the Cybex PRIAM.

Get your FREE Baby & Toddler Show ticket!

Get your free ticket to the Sydney Essential Baby & Toddler Show for September 25-27 - register online now.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Tell us what you think

to WIN 1 of 2 $500 Coles/Myer gift cards

Why I'm choosing to be a single mother right from the start

I believe that you get out of families what you put into them, and I will give mine my all.

Mother and baby units are a necessity for mental health, not a luxury

I have had two postnatal psychotic episodes. The first when my eldest child was six weeks old, and another after my second child was born.

30 French baby names

French names are always in fashion, but a few have risen in popularity in recent years.

New mum's Spanish maternity nightmare

A British woman who gave birth in Spain has told of her ordeal after spending weeks trying to convince medics the baby girl was hers.

Preparing Rover to be a good dog with baby

Some friends of ours say that it's dangerous to have a dog around a newborn and that we should start looking for a new home for him. Is it?

Company offers to ship working mums' breast milk home

First Apple and Facebook announced they would pay $20,000 towards the cost of their female employees freezing their eggs, now IBM in the US has come up with an innovative new policy aimed at retaining female employees.

Prince William speaks of his pride at wife Kate and 'little joy of heaven' Charlotte

The Duke of Cambridge opened up about family life and his plans for the future in an interview to mark his first day as an air ambulance pilot.

'Glowing' eye saves baby Mason's life

A simple photo taken in front of an evening fire gave new mother Sarah Bowers the power to save her baby's life. 

Parenting and decision overload

Of all the advice people told me before having a baby, no one warned me about the amount of decisions involved.

Proof that toddlers can't be left unsupervised - ever

Parents of toddlers all know the moment when realise your child is being suspiciously quiet. It can only mean one thing - trouble!

Meet Jeremy Ryan, The Voice contestant with seven kids

If you have trouble recalling the ages of Jeremy Ryan's seven children on The Voice, you're not alone. So does he.

Baby's adorable reaction to wearing glasses for the first time

Getting glasses can be a formative moment in a person's life.

Police officer buys supplies for family after mum of six caught shoplifting

When a mum of six was caught shoplifting nappies, clothes and shoes for her kids, the last thing she expected was for a stranger to pay for her haul.

Why pregnant women on antidepressants shouldn’t panic about birth defect claims

The risk of having uncontrolled depression is far greater than the small increased risk of birth defects that may be associated with specific antidepressants.

Arrests made over children's birthday party brawl

Police have raided properties and arrested a number of people over a brawl at a child's birthday party at a play centre in Sydney's west.

Family shares awesome drone baby announcement

Looking for a creative way to share some big news? Look to the skies, like this family did.

Young warrior Owen defies doctors' predictions

Little Owen DiCandilo's name means "young warrior", and it's a description that perfectly fits the inspiring 18-month-old

Advice for dads: when to approach your wife for sex

The exhaustion that comes with caring for young children often means romance between parents becomes a thing of the past.

I might be fat, but I don't need saving

I've been fat for pretty much most of life, besides a few crazy moments of being less-fat, but for the most part I've existed on this earth with a little more meat on my bones than desirable.

The rookie mistakes we make as parents

Since the dawn of civilisation, generation after generation of new parents have had to rely on instinct, trial and error - and sometimes get it wrong.

FREE TICKET

See Pinky McKay live in Sydney

Get your free ticket to The Essential Baby & Toddler Show and save $20 - register online now!

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.