Letter to my 13 year old daughter
Can you make it shorter and less rambly?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 tr2

Posted 09 December 2012 - 08:24 PM

My daughter is 13 and I am really trying to give her more freedom but don't feel she is really appreciating it or making it easy for me.  I do put restrictions on things - for example, she wanted to do 2 nights at a friend's place.  I said it was o.k but please take her phone and have it charged.  She didn't.  I called her friends mother's phone and eventually my daughter called me back and got the sh*ts when I asked why her phone wasn't charged.  I let her go to a disco and instead of staying inside she hung around outside.  Just waiting for friends but my instructions were very clear - be inside!! I said she could go to the pool with her friends but no rough housing out of the water as she has an injury that could be worsened - fine to wrestle in the water but not on dry land where the impact is greater.  She ignored that too, and got the sh*ts when I called her over to remind her before I left.  All small things, but if she can't do the right thing with small things, how can we build up to bigger things IYKWIM??  And how can I get her to realise that I am not castigating her when I remind her but giving her the opportunity to rectify her behaviour?

Any reminder of the rules has her immediatly yelling in a sulky, defensive way, and not only is it completely unproductive but it's bloody embarrassing!  Her friends and their parents must think I'm having a real go at her the way she carries on after I have a quiet word to her or speak to her on the phone.  And then I do get angry at her for reacting that way.

I really want her to be able to enjoy her teen years, to have freedoms, and she is usually pretty responsible although some of her decisions recently have been pretty questionable :-/ .  I'm thinking of giving her this letter.  Is it too long winded, lecturish, annoying, accusing, judging??  Help me make it better if you can please, and any other advice would be great too.  I want to be able to communicate with her much more effectively.  I want her to count her blessings when she gains permission to do something rather than concentrate on how unfair it is I have placed conditions on it.

Dear Daughter,

You have been growing up very fast and needing more independence and time with your friends.  I know you are generally a responsible girl so I am trying my best to let you develop independence and do your own thing. Independence, responsibility and good judgement are not something you can develop over night.  It is a process with lots of small steps along the way.

Each time I say ‘Yes’ to an activity or outing it is a small step to further freedom for you.  Each time you go out and show me you are responsible and well behaved and making good judgements it is easier for me to say yes the next time and know you will be o.k.  Sometimes (actually, most times) I will place some conditions on an activity that I feel keep you safe and let me feel less anxious about you being out in the big wide world without me.  Each time you happily accept the limits and responsibilities that come with the freedom you gain more and more of my trust,I feel more and more confidant that you are developing good judgement and can make sensible decisions and as a result, over time, I will feel o.k. to give you more freedoms with less limitations.

On the other hand,  when the conditions are ignored or forgotten about I worry I have misjudged the level of responsibility and independence you are really ready for and want to take a step back to a lower level of freedom and responsibility.

Some examples of the conditions I place on you are asking for you to have your phone charged, to stay where you are supposed to be, and be gentle with your injured knee.  When I ask you why you have not done one of these things, or remind you to do them, itis an opportunity for you to stop, think, and rectify the problem.  I am not asking because I am mad at you.  I am not reminding you because you are not allowed to make mistakes.  I am asking and reminding you because I want to help you succeed in gaining as much freedom and responsibility as you desire. I am trying to help you develop good habits now that will mean more freedom for you throughout your teenage years.  

Please, next time you are off to do something or go somewhere, when I ask you to have a phone, remind you to stay with the group, or ask you to give me a quick call when your day is done and you are safely in bed, or any other little things that make me feel you are safe, don’t react with anger and frustration.  They are small things to do that mean the difference between lots of fun times or being stuck at home because I’m too worried about you to let you go out.

I love you lots Daughter and I hope we can be friendlier to each other in the future when discussing these types of things.

Love Mum

Edited by tr2, 09 December 2012 - 08:25 PM.

#2 belindarama

Posted 09 December 2012 - 08:34 PM

I think the first 3 paras are really good. Then you get to the examples and the message got a bit lost in the 'telling off' part.

I would leave the first three paragraphs only and then let her read it, absorb what you are trying to tell her and discuss it later.

That way she gets the main message and has time to think about that without getting defensive. She can consider what you have said and will probably get there on her own. she will probably think back on those things without you reminding her.  Once she has had some time to think about it I would then talk to her and use one or two of those examples to illustrate your point, eg, I wanted you to do X but you did Y which made me question your ability to be responsible with the freedom I was giving you. The more I can trust you the more freedom you will get. If you disappoint me by abusing that freedom I will have to pull it back until I know you are ready for it etc.

#3 JapNFeral

Posted 09 December 2012 - 08:46 PM

Personally I would ditch the letter and instead be really clear and if she doesn't do it, she just doesn't get to go next time.

My mother used to send me these kinds of letters but there was a gap between the words and actions.

Let your actions speak loud and forget the verbage.

#4 Bek&H

Posted 09 December 2012 - 08:47 PM

I think its perfect the way it is

#5 ~Jodama_Feral~

Posted 09 December 2012 - 08:57 PM

I would ditch the examples paragraph because I think she will possibly take the rest in but that may get her back up and then the letter will be ignored.

I would also include that you will both be starting fresh from after this letter with the understanding that you will listen to her issues with the rules but at then end of the day you will decide what is best.

Good luck. Your DD sounds just like I was as a teenager and I ended up doing all kinds of things I now know were dumb but at the time it was great.

#6 nup

Posted 09 December 2012 - 09:08 PM

I agree with PP who also experienced the gaping chasm between written word and actions. Writing letters is not a good idea IMO. If you can't say it, then does it need to be said? And if your spoken words are all castigating and controlling then you probably need to learn a new way to communicate with her. Time for you to loosen the reigns from the sounds of it as the things you're complaining about all seem way OTT.

#7 Froger

Posted 09 December 2012 - 09:22 PM

Honestly, going by the young teens I know (my kids and their friends) I think a 13 yo is just going to laugh at a letter like this. There would also be lots of eye rolling.

#8 annie13

Posted 09 December 2012 - 09:31 PM

If you go with a letter be short and sharp, to the point. Also let her start experiencing the natural consequences of her actions. As a mother of a 14 yo I'm just starting to realise the importance of this.

Edited by annie13, 09 December 2012 - 09:32 PM.

#9 MrsShine

Posted 09 December 2012 - 09:47 PM

The letter is good - for an adult. I do not think a teen would comprehend it well even if she understands te general gist. Try relating to her more on her level.

#10 Agnodice the Feral

Posted 09 December 2012 - 10:07 PM

I know you've put your heart into that letter, but it will be meaningless to her. She 13. She is testing the boundaries of her independence.

Besides, I think your gripes/rules are silly. Adults forget to charge their phone, if her friends were outside at the disco was she meant to sit inside because her mum told her to, and the line in the sand between mucking around in the pool and on the land is hard to comprehend even for me.

If you send her to her friends, call the other parent to check up on her. If you are worried about her knee, tell her she can't muck around at all. And at her age, eye rolling when told off is par for the course, take it in your stride.

Don't give her the letter. Give her better rules.

#11 babychacha

Posted 09 December 2012 - 10:24 PM

I think its good as it is.

Whilst PPs have suggested about talking one on one is good in theory but only if you have a willing/captivated audience and not a moody teenager.

The letter will give her time to think it over (stew on it maybe) but it clearly spells it out.

You can always remove the agreements re two nights at a friends place etc if she can't respect your conditions.

My SIL once said to me, the best place to "talk" with a teenager is in the car. Minimal eye contact and time to think over what has been said before responding.

#12 cira

Posted 09 December 2012 - 10:32 PM

I think keep the letter for yourself or maybe give it to her when she is much older just to show her how much you worried and cared.

I agree with PP that suggested better rules and better punishments. You told her that the 2-night stayover was contingent on her having a charged phone - a logical punishment is to cancel the stayover and go pick her up when she admitted to simply forgetting. For the pool water wrestling thing I think its better if you don't make it a rule, just suggest how she can keep herself safe and if she doesn't she'll suffer the natural consequences of an injury.

#13 beebsoferal

Posted 09 December 2012 - 10:41 PM

My take on your letter. Take what you like out of it. I felt like it was written for an adult and not a sulky teen. Of course I don't have teenage children, but I agree with other posters that chatting to them would be the preferred mode of delivery. Non the less, a letter could still be useful.

QUOTE (tr2 @ 09/12/2012, 09:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Dear Daughter,

You have been growing up very fast and needing more independence and time with your friends.  I know you are generally a responsible girl so I am trying my best to let you develop independence and do your own thing. Independence, responsibility and good judgement are not something you can develop over night.  It is a process with lots of small steps along the way.

Each time you go out and show me you are responsible, it is more likely i will say yes for the next time. I will place some conditions on an activity that I feel keep you safe. If you stick in the limits, you'll get more of my trust and get to do more next time. Go outside the limits and behave irresponsibly, you will get to do less next time.

If I pick you up not sticking to the limits and have a chat with you about it, please don't sulk and carry on. I'm giving you a chance to do the right thing. Ignore me and stuff it up further and there will be consequences. I will keep you home and not let you go out with your friends if that's what's needed.

You're an amazing, intelligent young woman. Being young, it can be hard to decide whether to follow your friends in doing something irresponsible no matter how fun it might seem at the time, to standing up for yourself to do the right thing even if it feels like you're missing out.

It's all about trust. Trust me to look out for your best interests, and I will trust you to be responsible.

I love you lots Daughter and I hope we can talk about these things easier in the future.

Love Mum

#14 Spa Gonk

Posted 10 December 2012 - 01:14 AM

I don't see the point in sending it.  She has broken your rules on numerous occasions and I can't see in your post that consequences have been applied.  You need to deal with each breech as it happens, not wait until she does it multiple times, and then send off a letter hoping that will fix things.  She is pushing boundaries  and sees she can get away with it.  I think a letter maybe more likely to show her that she can do what she wants and you aren't going to do much about it.  I doubt she will suddenly have a revelation that she was wrong and needs to do exactly what she is told.

Edited by chatem, 10 December 2012 - 01:14 AM.

#15 JustBeige

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:50 AM

I dont think the letter would make much of an impact on your DD.  She doesnt follow your rules now, nor does she talk to you about them (you havent indicated if she does this) so giving her your very heartfelt letter will not make any difference to her.  If she is capable of empathy then she may feel guilt but otherwise she will just resent you.

sit her down and talk to her.  give her the permission to discuss any rules with you.  I have the rule with my very nearly 13yr old.  She can talk to me about my restrictions and I will consider her words and explain what my reasonings are.   If she chucks a 2yrold tantrum she gets nada and depending on the level of tantrum she may not get to do 'whatever' at all.

This is teaching her to reason out my requests and to come back to me in a more adult fashion to discuss any changes.

#16 JECJEC

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:00 AM

QUOTE (chatem @ 10/12/2012, 02:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't see the point in sending it.  She has broken your rules on numerous occasions and I can't see in your post that consequences have been applied.  You need to deal with each breech as it happens, not wait until she does it multiple times, and then send off a letter hoping that will fix things.  She is pushing boundaries  and sees she can get away with it.  I think a letter maybe more likely to show her that she can do what she wants and you aren't going to do much about it.  I doubt she will suddenly have a revelation that she was wrong and needs to do exactly what she is told.

I agree with this.

If she sulks then let her. Learn to ignore it or it will be a long couple of years for you.

#17 Cat People

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:18 AM

I usually don't like these sorts of letter and was expecting to hate it but I actually found it really good.  It's respectful and not a lecture - just letting her know why you set the rules and the impact on you when you she doesn't live up to her end of the deal.

I am a big fan of P.E.T (Parent Effective Training) and I think you would enjoy the book too.  So out of my reading of that, the only thing I would suggest is to set the rules together and ask her for suggestions - put the ball in her court.  Tell her what your fears and worries are, and ask her to work with you for a solution.  When you are part of the decision/rule making, you're far more likely to follow through.

#18 Cat People

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:20 AM

QUOTE (JECJEC @ 10/12/2012, 09:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Learn to ignore it or it will be a long couple of years for you.

It will be a far longer if her only solution is punishment and ignoring her daughter's feelings.  Way to alienate a child.

#19 YodaTheWrinkledOne

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:30 AM

QUOTE (Madame Catty @ 10/12/2012, 10:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am a big fan of P.E.T (Parent Effective Training) and I think you would enjoy the book too.  So out of my reading of that, the only thing I would suggest is to set the rules together and ask her for suggestions - put the ball in her court.  Tell her what your fears and worries are, and ask her to work with you for a solution.  When you are part of the decision/rule making, you're far more likely to follow through.

Agree with this.  If she takes some ownership of the conditions for increased freedom/independence, she might be more aware of the consequences.

I like the first couple of paragraphs.  Just give her those and sign off by saying that you'd like to chat with her about where to go from here so that both you and she work together towards her having more independence.  Give her the letter, suggest that she comes up with a couple of specific situations that she would like and some suggested scenarios for how it could work (eg. going to movies with friends, staying over friend's place).  Let her have a few hours to read it, consider some scenarios and then have a conversation where you both work towards an agreeable solution.

Good luck.  Most teenagers don't listen.  I know I didn't and looking back, I would have been considered a "good girl".

#20 JECJEC

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:44 AM

QUOTE (Madame Catty @ 10/12/2012, 11:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It will be a far longer if her only solution is punishment and ignoring her daughter's feelings.  Way to alienate a child.

My son has not been alienated and he is just about to turn 18. He knows that when I say no I mean it because I pick my battles. Say no rarely but when you say it mean it.

If I gave in to every sulk he had and tried to fix it in fear of alienating him he would have never learnt to deal with negative emotions.

#21 opethmum

Posted 10 December 2012 - 11:10 AM

I am in the ditch the letter camp. The letter in my opinion really is telling of your lack of follow through. You need to talk to her and tell her yourself and not hide behind a piece of paper that will be promptly torn up and laughed at and the behaviour will continue.
You need to put that foot down and if she sulks so be it, you need to stress to her that HER choices in life brings her rewards or consequences. If she sticks to the rules she gets rewards, when she breaks the rules she gets the consequences and how she reacts to the consequences are HERS and HERS alone and that she is the one that needs to change not you.
You can only change yourself, you can not change her, you need to stress that if she going to live in your house, your rules apply and she needs to accept that. No need to use emotional manipulation to get your way. Don't try and get her to be upset about a letter, I would be very upset if I go that letter from my parents and I would feel frankly sh*te about myself and I am sure that is not your intention but words on a paper that are trying to elicit a contrite emotions may backfire and cause all sorts of emotions of anger and self hatred.

#22 JapNFeral

Posted 10 December 2012 - 11:42 AM

QUOTE (Madame Catty @ 10/12/2012, 11:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The problem is so far there is NO punishment.

The OP's DD continues to ignore her mother and does what she likes.

When the DD understand there is conseqeunce for her behaviour, she may also then understand she can change the behaviour and therefore the outcome.

#23 boatiebabe

Posted 10 December 2012 - 12:04 PM

The letter to me seems so distant in some way. I think it's a bad idea and will be ignored.

Can you not have a conversation over the dinner table or in her room?

Tell her what's in the letter. Talk about it. If she refuses to listen to you then the consequence would be she doesn't get to go anywhere until she hears you out and discusses a solution with you.

If you have rules and she breaks them then she loses the ability to be out with friends etc.

I don't think it's rocket science. You are setting boundaries and if she breaks them then she has fewer freedoms. She'll get with the program eventually.

#24 unicorn

Posted 10 December 2012 - 12:27 PM

Relax a bit and sit down with her over a cup of coffee, hot chocolate, while shopping for clothes whatever and talk WITH her (not AT her). A letter is talking AT her.

#25 kittennic

Posted 10 December 2012 - 12:34 PM

I like the idea. Like others have said, maybe leave off all the examples of prior misbehaviour - I'm sure she'll remember them already. Focus on the future. I also like the idea of ending the letter by asking her to come and have a chat with you about how she feels about it all.

When I was a teenager it's the sort of letter my mum would have written to me, and I would have responded fairly well to it. At least it would have made me think about where she was coming from.

Edited by kittennic, 10 December 2012 - 12:35 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Share the little things that make you smile

We're giving away a Mountain Buggy nano, the ultimate travel stroller - and here are some of the great entries so far.

Toddler pleads for return of "stolen" nose

A two-year-old's reaction to a game of "got your nose" shows it doesn't take much to make a toddler cry.

The 15 photos new parents share (and five they don't)

From the first scan photo to the baby covered in cake at their first birthday party, there are 15 photos most parents seem to share - and some they don't.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

Breastfeeding friendly caf goes viral

A photo of a breastfeeding-friendly sign in a cafe has been posted to Facebook and shared by hundreds of mums around the world.

First look at the Bugaboo Bee3

The newest Bugaboo Bee ? the Bee3 ? offers a variety of improved features, including a much asked-for bassinet and a rainbow of colour combinations.

Childcare costs, not paid leave, the real issue for parents

Given the choice between maintaining their wage for six months to have a child, or having a reduced rate of pay for a time but a better deal on childcare when returning to work, there are no odds on what most working parents would choose.

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

We lost three babies in two years

Our first pregnancy ended the way we all expected it to - with a healthy, happy baby in our arms. What a true blessing he was, for we were not to know the heartache we were about endure.

Family turned back from doomed flight MH17

'There must have been someone watching over us and saying, 'You must not get on that flight,' says mother who narrowly avoided boarding the Malaysian Airlines flight which exploded in mid-air over the Ukraine last night.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Adorable Skeanie loafers for kids

Your little toddler or preschooler can now get their nautical on with a new range of classic loafers by Australian show brand Skeanie.

My baby is hypermobile

For months, I have been telling myself not to worry that Jasmin isn't crawling or walking. This week I heard the term hypermobile for the first time.

When you don?t bond with your baby

They say that there is no bond greater than the bond between a mother and her child. But for some women, the mother-baby bond takes more time and effort to develop.

Yumi Stynes: Having a baby after a 10-year break

After a long break, Yumi Stynes gets a reminder of the pain - and the pleasure - of giving birth.

Grieving father asks for help to Photoshop his daughter's image

When Nathan Steffel's daughter Sophia died from a liver condition at just 6 weeks old, he reached out for someone to create a beautiful image of his little girl.

Raising kids in a 'low media' home

Can you imagine a life without TV or computers? Some parents are opting for a low-tech, screen-free life for their kids.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

The beautiful moment a baby was born at the side of a road

It's not where she expected to give birth, but mum Corrine Cinatl is delighted that her daughter's roadside arrival was captured in a series of beautiful photos.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

The Nappy Collective starts new drive

It's that time of year when the dedicated volunteers at The Nappy Collective do their bit to help out mums and children in need - and they need your help.

Baby shower cake wrecks

From misshapen cake babies to questionable text, from odd colour choices to internal organ recreation, these are the baby shower cakes that taste forgot.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

Pregnancy progression photo ideas

Want to record your pregnancy as your belly grows? Here are some creative, fun ideas for photo shoots along the way.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Tin can craft and DIY ideas

Got a few old formula, Milo or coffee cans around the house? Use these fantastic upcycling ideas to create items for around the house and yard.

Dads meet their newborn for the first time

Emotional photos of two fathers meeting their newborn son have resonated with viewers worldwide, attracting thousands of Facebook likes and shares.

Skin safety isn't just a summer worry

Lax about the slip slop slap with your kids as weather turns cooler? Here's a reminder as to why we have to remain vigilant for our children?s future health.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Creative sleeping baby photoshoots

See how some parents and photographers have captured sleeping babies in unusual positions and using different props.

DIY kitchen and food hacks

DIY your way to a better kitchen and make cooking easier with our clever hacks. (Some content reproduced with permission from mashable.com.)

Winter warmers for babies and toddlers

Your baby or toddler will be nice and snug in these beautiful and fun winter pieces. Most are hand-made or knitted, and they're all designed to keep your little one toastie - and adorable!

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.