'Breakfast on the go' smoothies
Your thoughts re them for a teenager

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 ~~HappyMummy~~

Posted 09 December 2012 - 08:17 PM

My 16yo stepdaughter has moved in with us recently and I've noticed she doesn't eat breakfast.  I've spoken with her about it, how it's the most important meal of the day etc etc. but she says she's not hungry then.  

She says she eats one of the 2 pieces of fruit I give her each day while waiting for the train.  

I wondered about those up and go type breakfast drinks.  Do you think buying them for her would actually be worse as its encouraging her to eat on the run?  Or better than no breakfast at all?

I'm the stepmum.  Her dad thinks its a bad idea....  Should also mention she's a bit overweight so I'm keen for her not to skip breakfast.

What do you think??  Thanks.

#2 fairymagic

Posted 09 December 2012 - 08:21 PM

My youngest DD only has these for breakfast. We have tried upteen different cereals which she either doesn't like or gags on (she is 6 3/4). I figure it is better than toast (which she won't eat either) or nothing and i can't force her to eat cereal at her age. She has tried weetbix again after saying for years she didn't like it and gagged on it again. They probably aren't that healthy but since they are meant to have the equivalent nutrition as two weetbix I figure they can't be all bad either.

#3 CupOfCoffee

Posted 09 December 2012 - 08:21 PM

My son is 14, I buy anything he wants to make sure he eats breakfast.  So we do buy him Up and Go poppers for breakfast.

For me, it is about making sure he has some energy for the day (My son is quite thin and fit though).

#4 ~chiquita~

Posted 09 December 2012 - 08:28 PM

I don't do breakfast either and I love Up & Go's, they're not heavy on the stomach but keep you sustained for a couple of hours. The thought of eating anything within 2 hours of waking makes me feel ill.

Edited by ~chiquita~, 09 December 2012 - 08:29 PM.

#5 morgansacre

Posted 09 December 2012 - 08:35 PM

I also don't eat breakfast, I too am never hungry. I love Up and Go, and any of these liquid drinks. I also sometimes drink fruit juice at breakfast.

Lynn

#6 wish*upon*a*star

Posted 09 December 2012 - 08:39 PM

I can't stomach food for 1-2 hours after waking so I have an Up and Go, for me they are great

#7 MrsLexiK

Posted 09 December 2012 - 08:45 PM

If probably look at a protein powder she can mix with milk or water and drink on the way. Much less sugar in them and much more protein.

#8 ballogo

Posted 09 December 2012 - 08:55 PM

I came to this thread beause my 6 year old was becoming difficult to make breakfast for and I began to make smoothies - she now alternates these with wholemeal toast with vegemite.  To make the smoothies as nutritious as possible I use milk, fruit, and Jalna yoghurt (has less artificial flavourers etc.) and then add wheat germ or even a Weet Bix.  My other two children have added these to their breakfast menus as well and I'm finding it ok to fit into our morning schedules - partly because it has decreased the arguing and stalling.

I was just reading the Sanitarium web site and these are the ingredients in a chocolate Up and Go

Filtered water, skim milk powder, cane sugar, wheat maltodextrin, soy protein, vegetable oils (sunflower, canola), hi-maize™ starch, corn syrup solids, inulin, fructose, cocoa (0.5%), cereals (oat flour, barley beta glucan), minerals (calcium, phosphorus), food acid (332), flavour, vegetable gums (460, 466, 407), vitamins (C, A, niacin, B12, B2, B6, B1, folate), salt.

After the water and skim milk powder is sugar.  Then there is inulin (what is that?) food acid, flavour and vegetable gums.... For me - I wouldn't be keen to feed my children or teens this.  BUT I know that feeling of desperation when your child won't eat anything for breakfast and breakfast turns into a battle ground.  So like others have said - perhaps it's better than nothing?  Or could you research other liquid breakfasts you could make at home for her with more nutritious ingredients?

Edited by ballogo, 09 December 2012 - 08:55 PM.

#9 mum201

Posted 09 December 2012 - 09:00 PM

My DH recently asked his dietician (sees her re diabetes) about these as he hates breakfast, and being diabetic he needs to eat small, low GI meals very frequently. Anyhow, she said whilst it's not the ideal breakfast option, it's not that bad and way better than not eating.

#10 beccaj

Posted 09 December 2012 - 09:00 PM

A smoothie is a great idea, but I would stay away from up &go type ones. Quick and easy to make at home in the mornings - use a travel mug.

Banana, berries, yoghurt, chia seeds and some milk and youre set.

I can understand the not being hungry until later, I would prefer not to have breakfast until about 10am. If she is eating fruit waiting for the train - could you pack a fruit salad with yoghurt and nuts? Or make breakfast tortillas these are just as good cold so can be made the night before?

#11 frizzle

Posted 09 December 2012 - 09:05 PM

Inulin is a fibre that gets added to lots of foods these days. I know as I am intolerant to it and it seems to be in everything.

#12 ubermum

Posted 09 December 2012 - 09:08 PM

We have a 16yo. She won't eat breakfast and then makes bad food choices mid morning. I don't know what to suggest, but if she doesn't ever eat breakfast, your body seems to get into that routine of not being hungry then. I would suggest a sustagen and a banana over an up and go though.

#13 ballogo

Posted 09 December 2012 - 09:26 PM

QUOTE (beccaj @ 09/12/2012, 10:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Banana, berries, yoghurt, chia seeds and some milk and youre set.

Ooh... sorry to hijack but beccaj - I've heard of them but what exactly are chia seeds?  (I'm always on the look out for healthy options  original.gif )  What are they good for?

See frizzle - I'm of the opinion that if I don't know what it is..... then I usually guess it's some sort of 'chemical' (for lack of a better word).

#14 lamarque

Posted 09 December 2012 - 09:30 PM

QUOTE (MrsLexiK @ 09/12/2012, 09:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If probably look at a protein powder she can mix with milk or water and drink on the way. Much less sugar in them and much more protein.

Yes, if she has a weight problem, I'd watch the sugar content of these drinks.

#15 beccaj

Posted 09 December 2012 - 09:33 PM

Chia is high in protein and omega fats. A great addition to boost dietary intake - be sure to soak them to soften the hulls or grind them before eating - they are smaller than sesame seeds and the hulls need to be broken to allow the body to digest and absorb the nutrients from them.

You can buy white or black chia - and also Aus grown in most major supermarkets.

#16 Propaganda

Posted 09 December 2012 - 10:50 PM

I often have a drinking yoghurt for breakfast, and used to have Up n Go as well. I just hate breakfast, and eating anything in hte morning makes me feel queasy and uncomfortable. I'm not a morning person, and getting up even earlier so I can eat breakfast just sounds horrid, so I don't do it. It's my compromise. The yoghurts (and the Up and Go) are quite high in sugar, but I accept this and eat very little sugar (other than that which comes in a piece of fruit) otherwise.

I need to eat breakfast, because if I don't I'll feel ill and lack energy, but if I eat something solid, I'll feel sick and waste even more time.

I think a liquid breakfast is a good idea. If someone else will make it for her, or she's prepared to go to extra effort, making her own smoothie would be a good idea too. I just know that for me, this takes too much time to prepare.

#17 ~~HappyMummy~~

Posted 10 December 2012 - 07:35 AM

Thank you ladies.  Think ill give it a go and have both Up & go and ready to drink sustagen in the fridge.

I also make her smoothies some mornings when I'm having one so ill continue to do that too.  

Fingers crossed it makes a difference and will help her make better food choices during the day!  :-)

#18 Placebo

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:52 AM

I lived on "Up & Go" in the first trimester of all three of my pregnancies.  I was way too nauseous to eat anything in the morning, and I knew if I had nothing, my nausea would be ten times worse.

I've just done a big "detox" in preparation for surgery.  Only had to do it for a week, but I enjoyed the breakfast smoothie so much, I've kept having it until the ingredients ran out  biggrin.gif

3 Tblsp plain yoghurt (can use Coconut yoghurt)
Rice milk (can use soy/cows, Calcium-enriched rice etc..)
Protein powder (I used a vanilla-flavoured one, can also use a pea-protein too)
Pomegranite juice (or orange - I used Pomegranite due its antioxidant action)
LSA mix
"Pura Veda" - a kind of various seeds mix (like muesli but with no oats)
Frozen berries, or fresh if you have them (I had raspberries and blueberries)

It was really tasty, incredibly filling, but not "heavy" on the stomach.  I also felt full of energy for the day.  

#19 Therese

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:05 AM

I hope it works OP original.gif I am in the whatever works camp, if she will have one for breakfast it is better than no breakfast at all.

#20 crazyone2989

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:06 AM

I have always hated eating breakfast and as a kid Mum would give me peanut butter and chocolate chip sandwiches, hash browns, left over dinner, basically anything so I was actually eating. By the time I was in high school I would eat breakfast sporadically and by uni it was pretty much never (unless I was having brunch or a big fry up haha)

Now I eat breakfast because I know it is a good idea. I used to do up and go's but they are so full of sugar. Now I have protein shakes quite a bit as when I start work at 4.30am I can't stomach anything else and then I just eat normal brekky about 10.00am. Some times I have a protein bar instead which I can stomach early.

I would try some kind of protein shake or smoothie, some people just can't stomach much food until later in the day!

#21 jessie123

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:52 AM

I would give them ago. I still don't eat breakfast very often.

As a child I remember eating a piece of bread and butter to satisfy my mother. Other times I would have a homemade drink such as milk and egg happy.gif

#22 gasgirl

Posted 10 December 2012 - 11:01 AM

i'm not a great brekkie eater, one of those classic mums that forces her children to eat "the most important meal of the day" whilst knocking back three coffees and a banana in the car myself . Terrible! and yes I struggle with my weight.
The Up nGos are better than nothing but are very high in sugar. I have been making a smoothie with yoghurt, fruit, protein powder, psyllium husk and putting it in a thermos to drink on the way to work - a much better option for me and just as satisfying.

#23 Pop-to-the-shops

Posted 10 December 2012 - 11:16 AM

http://www.sanitarium.com.au/products/brea.../up-and-go-vive

These ones are not too bad.

I hate breakfast too. I usually manage coffee and toast, but I hate cereal. And my kids are picking up my dislike for it.

I've been motivated to try a few home made smoothies... Thanks.

#24 désir d'amour

Posted 10 December 2012 - 11:32 AM

Up & Go is full of sugar, even the "lite" ones, so if you're concerned about her weight, don't go there.

I don't eat breakfast either.  as long as she's eating something during the day, let it go. Some of us just don't 'do" food in the mornings.

#25 vanessa71

Posted 10 December 2012 - 11:34 AM

I personally don't like the idea of replacing any meal with a smoothie, especially Up & Go, I think they have far too much sugar.

I don't eat as soon as I get up either, it's usually about 10am before I have something. I would think that it would be better for her to have food packed for her that she could eat when she is hungry rather than using a liquid breakfast. I am not in the anything is better than nothing camp.

Edited by vanessa71, 10 December 2012 - 11:34 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Video: 10-week-old baby sounds like she says 'I love you'

It’s mixed in amongst garbled baby talk, but this 10-week-old's apparent attempt at telling her parents that she loves them has made her an internet star.

I only enjoyed pregnancy after booking my caesarean

To say I became obsessed is something of an understatement. Everywhere I went I found cause to be reminded of my impending pain.

When your bundle doesn't bring immediate joy

One mum says joy is very a personal feeling and expecting all new mums to feel it in the months after their baby born may do more harm than good.

Lessons learned from my toddler

Blogger Kiran Chug explains why she is going to let her toddler make more decisions for himself.

Family welcomes first baby girl in more than 100 years

The Silverton family has heard the phrase "it's a girl" for the first time in four generations.

When a community of kindness steps in

In future when someone I care for, or even someone I barely know, is experiencing a difficult time, I will not overthink it. I'll follow my heart.

Mum in Business: Jac Bowie

Jac Bowie is the founder of Business in Heels, one of the fastest growing women’s networking events in Australia. She shares her story, including how she juggles work with a young family, and ways to work smarter.

What not to say to a mum of twins

Being a mum of identical twin boys stirs up great interest and fascination. It also opens itself up to nosy, invasive questions, as well as huge assumptions.

The mums suing over unplanned babies

A mother-of-five who calls her two youngest sons "miracle babies" is just one of many mums seeking financial compensation for their children's unplanned conceptions.

Video: Dad sings 'Hallelujah' to his daughter every year

It's a gorgeous song to begin with, but this dad's version of Hallelujah, sung for his young daughter, is especially touching.

Constipation in babies when starting solids

While starting solids can be frustrating and messy (yet also fun!), introducing solids can also play havoc on tiny digestive systems.

Parents reunited with baby snatched from hospital

A mother whose newborn baby was snatched from hospital has spoken of her joy and relief at getting her daughter back.

In defence of the bumpie

Are bumpies - bump selfies - really "exhibitionism of the weirdest kind"?

Life on the other side of the fence: Why I'm child-free and quite content

Acknowledging that motherhood isn't a bed of roses – to begrudge lack of time, sleep, money and spontaneity – is sacrilegious and a no-no, especially by mother superior-types.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Win a $200 Pumpkin Patch voucher

Fill out this quick survey and tell us in 25 words or less your best pregnancy or parenting tip - you'll go in the draw to win a $200 Pumpkin Patch voucher.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Losing yourself to motherhood

While watching your baby grow into a unique little person is exciting and wondrous, the intensity of meeting everyone else?s needs can ever so sneakily overtake your own needs for self-care.

Tearing during delivery: the facts

Almost all women will experience bruising, grazing or tearing after a vaginal birth. Depending on the degree of tearing, there are various treatments available.

6 tips for a day out with a baby and toddler

Outings can be lots of fun with the kids, but there are inevitable challenges. Here's some information about days out to help you be a little more prepared.

Why I invited a dozen people to watch my son's birth

I sent invitations on burgundy scrapbooking paper stamped with a field of poppies, and told each person why I wanted him or her there. I warned that there would be nudity.

Getting labour started: tips for a natural induction

When your baby?s due date comes and goes without so much as a pop - let alone a bang - it can be disheartening. Mums and a doula share their stories of natural inductions.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

That's my boy: a dad's diary of the first 4 months

Unbearable anxiety, unspeakable joy, constant exhaustion and bouts of frustration ... The many shocks of first-time fatherhood resound in a dad's diary of his son's early months.

One of the most important things a new mum can do

Finances may not be as cute as a newborn, but with many women?s working arrangements changing post-baby, monetary matters need attention too.

In defence of the bumpie

Are bumpies really "exhibitionism of the weirdest kind", as one writer has claimed?

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

My Wellbeing

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.