Morning sickness
worse with boys or girls

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 rubberducky

Posted 09 December 2012 - 05:28 PM

Hi,

Just curious to find out if those that have boys and girls - was your morning sickness worse with girls or boys?

I have 3 boys and am pregnant with no. 4 and my MS is so much harder this time. Already having 3 boys I except another and would love another but am curious now as I feel so horrible.

#2 Koobie83

Posted 09 December 2012 - 05:49 PM

Well I'm having my first and have just found out its a girl. My morning sickness was pretty mild. I had it for about 3 weeks and was oy physically sick once. My mum had it even easier than I did and she had girls. I've heard of peod having boys and not getting affected much and others having a boy had it terribly. I think every pregnancy is different.

#3 _Alana_

Posted 09 December 2012 - 05:52 PM

My second boy was a lot worse than my first boy, both lasting around 27/28 weeks.

I've known ppl that have had none with a girl, none with a boy, more with a girl, more with a boy.

The myth that I knew was it was worse with girls was busted when it was worse with my second boy.

#4 Impatientmummy

Posted 09 December 2012 - 08:35 PM

With DS had it for 8-10 weeks for a few hours of a morning, would feel off occasionally. DD had it from about 4/5 weeks until 13/14 weeks & it was all day! It will be interesting when we go for #3

#5 TarneeW

Posted 09 December 2012 - 08:42 PM

DS1 terrible morning sickness in form of nausea only until 21 weeks.

DD bad nausea, congestion and early morning dry retching until around 12 weeks.

DS2 nausea (mild/med) until 10 weeks, occasional morning dry retching. Easiest in relation to MS yet.

No 4 so far terrible all day nausea, and congrstion and dry retching every morning until around 14 weeks. Only eased in the last week although some days are worse than other. Will hopefully find out in a few weeks what we are having original.gif

#6 Unatheowl

Posted 09 December 2012 - 08:42 PM

I had the same debilitating morning sickness with both.  With dd it was harder to endure I think only because I already had a toddler and a large dose of PND.

#7 baxlaika

Posted 09 December 2012 - 08:52 PM

My MS with roughly the same with DD and DS. I think MS is sometimes related to your general health and fatigue levels, i.e. were you healthy or run down before the pregnancy, were you tired/sleep deprived running after a toddler etc. Having said that I found I managed things better second time around, I knew the rules... eat as soon as you get out of bed, ginger tea, eat regularly, avoid smelling coffee shops etc.

#8 Rolex

Posted 10 December 2012 - 06:33 AM

I'm the same as you OP.  I have 3 boys and with them I just had the odd wave of nausea here and there, completely manageable.  Now 10 weeks with #4 and it's been constant, all day nausea, since 4 weeks pregnant.  I just want to cry some days, it's awful sad.gif

I've been saying this baby is either a girl, or I'm just feeling my age laughing2.gif  DS#3 is 7yo, so big age gap for me original.gif

#9 Swarley

Posted 10 December 2012 - 06:51 AM

I think it's a myth. I have, b,b,g,b and now another b and I've been hideously sick with all of them. Actually, my first DS wasn't as bad. Still sick every day but not to the point of being couch bound like the others.

#10 lozoodle

Posted 10 December 2012 - 06:53 AM

I can't say based on gender as I'm having my third girl, but I think it just gets worse as you get older to be honest.

First pregnancy = none
Second pregnancy = a bit, very mild
Third pregnancy = 24/7 in the first trimester

All girls.

#11 No girls here

Posted 10 December 2012 - 07:27 AM

I have three boys, but MS has varied from only feeling nauseous with DS1 to vomiting every day up to 17 weeks with DS2.  I assumed I was having a girl second time around, as my pregnancies were different in pretty much every way.

#12 crackles

Posted 10 December 2012 - 07:27 AM

Each pregnancy's different regardless of baby's gender. I had no morning sickness with either my dd or ds but this pregnancy I felt terrible the first trimester. I was scared it was twins but there's only one in there!

#13 Ally'smum

Posted 10 December 2012 - 07:37 AM

I read an article that said there is a higher incidence of morning sickness with girls, but of course I can't find it now to link!

Despite all the previous anecdata, individual experience doesn't change the facts.

#14 Bluenomi

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:32 AM

Everyone I know has worse morning sickness with the second pregnancy. Some have had girls, some have boys. It seems gender doesn't matter!

#15 No girls here

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:37 AM

QUOTE (loggedin @ 10/12/2012, 08:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I read an article that said there is a higher incidence of morning sickness with girls, but of course I can't find it now to link!

Despite all the previous anecdata, individual experience doesn't change the facts.

This article says that there is a higher incidence of hyperemesis gravidarum with girls.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/556895.stm

However it also states "Despite the results of the survey, Dr Askling said parents should not use serious sickness as a sign that they were to have a female child. "Using sickness to predict the sex of an individual offspring is not much better than tossing a coin," he told The Lancet medical journal. "

#16 VJs Mummy

Posted 10 December 2012 - 12:23 PM

DS1/DS2 AND DS3 - Didnt have any, well DS2 i lived of dry biscuits and maccas coke

DD - Had severe morning sickness even up to when i delivered here

I do not know what i am having yet, and so far i have had really bad nausea and dry retching and thrown up once

#17 FeeGee

Posted 10 December 2012 - 12:27 PM

For me it was very bad morning sickness and nausea all the way through each preganncy, and I had girls.

#18 Starrydawn

Posted 10 December 2012 - 12:56 PM

I had HG with a girl.

My sister had HG with a boy.

The studies show a higher rate with girls.
But each individual has their own experiences.

#19 R2B2

Posted 10 December 2012 - 12:59 PM

it was a lot worse with my son. my 2 girls were mild in comparison.

#20 Natttmumm

Posted 10 December 2012 - 01:03 PM

DD1 - the worst morning sickness - girl
DD2 - sickness but not as bad - girl
DS1 (not born yet) horrible sickness - boy

For me no relationship beween sickness and boy or girl. For me the more tired and stressed ive been the more sick. DD2 was an easy pregnancy - no stess or tiredness and I was ok.

#21 zoelicious

Posted 10 December 2012 - 01:10 PM

Ive had no morning sickness at all and Im carrying twin boys. Im 28 weeks and I thank my lucky stars. Every pregnancy is different. xx

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Share the little things that make you smile

We're giving away a Mountain Buggy nano, the ultimate travel stroller - and here are some of the great entries so far.

Toddler pleads for return of "stolen" nose

A two-year-old's reaction to a game of "got your nose" shows it doesn't take much to make a toddler cry.

The 15 photos new parents share (and five they don't)

From the first scan photo to the baby covered in cake at their first birthday party, there are 15 photos most parents seem to share - and some they don't.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

Breastfeeding friendly café goes viral

A photo of a breastfeeding-friendly sign in a cafe has been posted to Facebook and shared by hundreds of mums around the world.

First look at the Bugaboo Bee3

The newest Bugaboo Bee ? the Bee3 ? offers a variety of improved features, including a much asked-for bassinet and a rainbow of colour combinations.

Childcare costs, not paid leave, the real issue for parents

Given the choice between maintaining their wage for six months to have a child, or having a reduced rate of pay for a time but a better deal on childcare when returning to work, there are no odds on what most working parents would choose.

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

We lost three babies in two years

Our first pregnancy ended the way we all expected it to - with a healthy, happy baby in our arms. What a true blessing he was, for we were not to know the heartache we were about endure.

Family turned back from doomed flight MH17

'There must have been someone watching over us and saying, 'You must not get on that flight,' says mother who narrowly avoided boarding the Malaysian Airlines flight which exploded in mid-air over the Ukraine last night.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Adorable Skeanie loafers for kids

Your little toddler or preschooler can now get their nautical on with a new range of classic loafers by Australian show brand Skeanie.

My baby is hypermobile

For months, I have been telling myself not to worry that Jasmin isn't crawling or walking. This week I heard the term hypermobile for the first time.

When you don?t bond with your baby

They say that there is no bond greater than the bond between a mother and her child. But for some women, the mother-baby bond takes more time and effort to develop.

Yumi Stynes: Having a baby after a 10-year break

After a long break, Yumi Stynes gets a reminder of the pain - and the pleasure - of giving birth.

Grieving father asks for help to Photoshop his daughter's image

When Nathan Steffel's daughter Sophia died from a liver condition at just 6 weeks old, he reached out for someone to create a beautiful image of his little girl.

Raising kids in a 'low media' home

Can you imagine a life without TV or computers? Some parents are opting for a low-tech, screen-free life for their kids.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

The beautiful moment a baby was born at the side of a road

It's not where she expected to give birth, but mum Corrine Cinatl is delighted that her daughter's roadside arrival was captured in a series of beautiful photos.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

The Nappy Collective starts new drive

It's that time of year when the dedicated volunteers at The Nappy Collective do their bit to help out mums and children in need - and they need your help.

Baby shower cake wrecks

From misshapen cake babies to questionable text, from odd colour choices to internal organ recreation, these are the baby shower cakes that taste forgot.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

Pregnancy progression photo ideas

Want to record your pregnancy as your belly grows? Here are some creative, fun ideas for photo shoots along the way.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Tin can craft and DIY ideas

Got a few old formula, Milo or coffee cans around the house? Use these fantastic upcycling ideas to create items for around the house and yard.

Dads meet their newborn for the first time

Emotional photos of two fathers meeting their newborn son have resonated with viewers worldwide, attracting thousands of Facebook likes and shares.

Skin safety isn't just a summer worry

Lax about the slip slop slap with your kids as weather turns cooler? Here's a reminder as to why we have to remain vigilant for our children?s future health.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Creative sleeping baby photoshoots

See how some parents and photographers have captured sleeping babies in unusual positions and using different props.

DIY kitchen and food hacks

DIY your way to a better kitchen and make cooking easier with our clever hacks. (Some content reproduced with permission from mashable.com.)

Winter warmers for babies and toddlers

Your baby or toddler will be nice and snug in these beautiful and fun winter pieces. Most are hand-made or knitted, and they're all designed to keep your little one toastie - and adorable!

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.