Would you go with Brody or Brodie boy spelling?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 mum2amonkey

Posted 09 December 2012 - 09:39 AM

Brody seems to be the name at the top of our list for this baby if it's a boy. I had just assumed it would be Spelt Brody........DH had just assumed it would be Brodie

Thoughts??? Middle name Joseph if that makes any difference

#2 Iris37

Posted 09 December 2012 - 09:44 AM

Hi, I'd probably spell it Brodie  original.gif

#3 Snugglepot77

Posted 09 December 2012 - 09:46 AM

I would go for Brody for a boy (and Brodie if it was for a girl!). I think the ie is more feminine.

Good luck!

#4 Guest_Sunnycat_*

Posted 09 December 2012 - 09:48 AM

For a boy Brody, for a girl Brodie.

#5 Debblah

Posted 09 December 2012 - 09:49 AM

Yeah I agree Brody, I also feel Brodie is for a girl.

First time pregnant ever, and 40. So damn happy biggrin.gif

#6 kyrrie

Posted 09 December 2012 - 09:50 AM

Can't say I have a preference, but every Brodie I have known, boy or girl is spelt that way.

I have never met a Brody with a y.

#7 Chelli

Posted 09 December 2012 - 09:54 AM

Brody for a boy spelling

#8 Frankly my Dear

Posted 09 December 2012 - 09:59 AM

QUOTE (Sunnycat @ 09/12/2012, 10:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
For a boy Brody, for a girl Brodie.

This. My sister is a Brodie. Can't imagine using this spelling for a boy.

#9 Plaxy

Posted 09 December 2012 - 10:11 AM

for a boy, Brody, and for a girl, Brodie.

#10 mum2amonkey

My thoughts too. At least I can show this to DH and expain it's just not my preference but a boy girl thing.

Thanks

#11 mum2amonkey

My thoughts too. At least I can show this to DH and expain it's just not my preference but a boy girl thing.

Thanks

#12 Gudrun

Posted 09 December 2012 - 01:43 PM

I think you are both right.   My first thought is Brodie Holland who is definitely male.  

Maybe the Brody spelling is more popular in America?   I like the name and have no preference though I do prefer the girl spelling to be Brodie (for no reason).   With the sibling names perhaps Brody looks best?

#13 la di dah

Posted 09 December 2012 - 02:15 PM

I'd spell it Brody.

It's purely a what-I'm-used-to-bias. Brody is ranked #83 in the US (where I am from) and Brodie is #537. I tend to, with a couple exceptions, find the -ie suffix fairly feminine.

#14 Eeyolet

Posted 09 December 2012 - 02:18 PM

I knew a girl Brodie so I would use Brody for a boy.

#15 Seeta girl

Posted 09 December 2012 - 02:26 PM

Brody for a boy!

#16 FeralLIfeHacker

Posted 09 December 2012 - 02:28 PM

Brody for a boy.  I am on lots of american forums and it seems popular there and I've only ever seen it spelt that way for a boy. I have always liked it but dh didn't so it got crossed off our lists.

#17 Imaginary friend

Posted 09 December 2012 - 04:59 PM

Ive met several Brodie's who were male and one who was female,  I dont recall any Brody's of either sex.

To me it is more a boys name, although I accept it can be used for girls.

I think the spelling is different by location as as well as gender- so maybe in USA it is more commonly Brody but in Australia, or at least SA, it is more commonly Brodie.

I agree that in general ie tends to be a female name ending - but I would go with Brodie for a boy too. Although I dont really think it matters either way, either spelling would be fine.

#18 Chyloe

Posted 10 December 2012 - 04:25 PM

Brody for a boy - Brodie for a girl.  I wouldn't use it for a girl in any case.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'I will defend my son's right to wear a tutu'

Three-year-old boy Roo likes to wear tutus and, until now, it hasn't been a problem.

Chinese sign up toddlers for chief executive classes

CHILDREN as young as three are being enrolled in "chief executive courses" in China as pushy parents become obsessed with giving their offspring an advantage over their young peers.

Free ticket offer

Pinky Mckay joins us again at the Essential Baby & Toddler Show presented by Blackmores with her expert baby settling advice. Register now for your free ticket.

The 'best little baby' and the police officer who rescued him

"And just in my head, I'm a father myself, and I couldn't sit there and let him ... I couldn't let him sit in that."

Olympian sells medal to pay for child's cancer treatment

An Olympian has sold his medal to help fund cancer treatment for a 3-year-old boy.

Family of mum who took her own life speak out about PND

From the outside it looked like Allison Goldstein was blissfully happy. She had a new baby, a loving husband, and was part of a close knit-family.

For the festival lover in all of us

Pre-book & Save 50%. Get your tickets now for Kidtopia Festival. 7-9 October 2016 Parramatta Park, Sydney.

BuggyCart solves the dilemma of shopping with a pram

Ducking to the shops for some groceries is a whole other ballgame once you have a baby.

Viral photo shows powerful moment before second baby's arrival

While our second baby was very much wanted, I wondered if I could love another baby as much as I loved my first.

What does a baby with whooping cough sound like? Sometimes like this

It's a heartbreaking video that's difficult to watch, but that's just what Sydney mum of two Sandra wants people to do.

Cheers! Why we're all happy to be bad mothers now

A new generation of mums is resisting the pressure to be "perfect" - and revelling in their naughty side?

Dealing with mealtime fussiness: mums share their tips

It can be frustrating, worrying, and turn into a battle of wills - but it doesn't have to be like that

Why having a puppy is like parenting a child

Despite being a dog owner and a parent, I've never been able to relate to the idea that the two have many similarities – until now.

Baby Joey is sleeping star in adorable photos

When photographer mum Laura Izumikawa puts her baby daughter down to sleep, the last thing on her mind is rest.

The necessity of 'Do not disturb' signs for napping babies

Needless to say, the last thing any mum wants is for someone to loudly knock on the door and wake their sleeping cherub.

Mum's brutal truth about c-section: 'This is not the easy way out'

A new mum has shared photos of her caesarean section scar to prove she did not "take the easy way out" when giving birth to her son.

Twins give birth in same hospital just hours apart

Leanne went into labour on July 28, and remarkably, her twin sister Natalie soon followed.

Goki Ride-On cars for toddlers

Toddlers just love to ride on anything with wheels but will often reject the pram once they can walk.

Letting your health slide as you look after the kids? Here's how to get out of the trap

It's time to start prioritising our own health, as well as the health of our children, to avoid longer lasting health challenges.

How to child-proof every room in your house

A guide to making your home a safer place for little ones.

Portable pool safety reminder after toddler's death

The drowning of a Hobart toddler has prompted a coroner to remind the community that even inflatable and portable pools must be fenced.

I have a clingy toddler - help!

"Nothing stops the clinginess - he cries when I put him down, no matter how long I hold him."

Woman sues after botched termination leads to motherhood

A 23-year-old mother is suing her GP and the public health system for thousands of dollars to support her son after her termination went wrong.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

For the festival lover in all of us

Pre-book & Save 50%. Get your tickets now for Kidtopia Festival. 7-9 October 2016 Parramatta Park, Sydney.

Ex-Perth model stuck with 12kg leg after limb doubles in size during pregnancy

"I often have strangers coming over to me when I'm out asking bluntly what's wrong with my leg. I often just laugh now and tell them I've been attacked by a shark and walk off, it definitely stumps people."

Same sex couple 'blessed' with triplets via surrogacy

They feared they would never get to be parents, but a same sex couple is now adjusting to life with newborn triplets.

Should children be given antibiotics in their first year?

Here are the the pros and cons of giving antibiotics to young babies.

Baby born on mum AND dad's birthday

The birth of a baby is always a special occasion, but one couple who welcomed their first child earlier this week had more reason to celebrate than most.

The joys (and benefits) of show and tell

Show and tell has been around for donkey's years. Well, at least since I was a kid, and according to my own children, I'm pretty old.

Loyal dog dies saving baby's life during fire

A baby was rescued from a house fire after her family's loyal dog used his body to shield the little girl from the flames.

How having a young baby or toddler changes your home decor

What to expect when living with an older baby or toddler - and how to manage the chaos.

I'm trying to keep my child-free friends in my life, but it's tough

I tried to prove to my single friends that I was the same I'd always been. But marriage did change me - and motherhood has, too

'There's a giant picture of BOOBS but I can not feed my child'

A mum was ushered out of an US department store's underwear section after discreetly breastfeeding her baby.

How baby Evelie was saved after being born without a heartbeat

Bethanie Millar didn't believe in miracles - until baby Evelie was born, that is.

How an Aldi staff member made one exhausted mum's day

It was a simple act of kindness, but one that made an exhausted mother's day.

OvuSense: the new internal monitor helping predict ovulation

When a couple is trying to conceive it is easy for a woman to become obsessed about when she ovulates.

Mum-to-be surprises husband with big news in joy-filled photoshoot

When Bri Dow learnt that she was expecting, she immediately knew she wanted to break the news to her husband Brandon in a special way.

How a homemade wheelchair is giving baby Evelyn freedom

Like all one-year-olds, Evelyn Moore is keen to get moving and explore the world around her. But a battle with aggressive cancer left the little girl paralysed from the waist down.

Adorable: App captures special moments of pregnancy and motherhood

There's something about motherhood that turns even the most reluctant photographer into a keen shutterbug as they strive to capture all the best moments of life with a baby.

Dad shares horror tale after Roomba's run-in with dog poop

It's the poop story that's been shared hundreds of thousands of times around the world.

What I miss about commuting

A recent long commute for a job reminded me there are some potential positives to the experience.

SYDNEY SHOW - 23-25 Sept

Essential Baby & Toddler Show - Sydney

The Essential Baby & Toddler Show, presented by Blackmores, will be held in Sydney on 23-25 September. Register for your free ticket now to save $20!

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.