Fine, thin hair.........
What cut????????

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 *JJ*

Posted 09 December 2012 - 08:45 AM

I have very fine, thin hair that sits about 2 inches below my shoulders.

I wear it up every day and if i try to leave it out i am constantly picking hair off my top and pulling out loose hair (i am really bad at the moment, I don't even know how i still have hair).

I think my hair is actually getting thinner!! I tried a blunt fringe but didn't really suit so am in the process of trying to grow that out.

I would love to know if anyone else has similar hair and what style works for them?

Thanks heaps

#2 *JJ*

Posted 09 December 2012 - 06:22 PM

No one had painful hair like me that can help with advice..............................please  unsure.gif

My hair is just so, so thin and so fine and getting worse as I get older. I know having it below my shoulders isn't helping but just not sure what the next best thing would be (oh and no short hair, it so doesn't suit  biggrin.gif ).

#3 bubbanme

Posted 09 December 2012 - 06:26 PM

I wish I could help but my hair is the same  cry1.gif

I was hoping for answers too!

#4 item

Posted 09 December 2012 - 06:27 PM

Can't go past a bob.

Maybe slightly longer in front and layered in the back, else just blunt.

20 years and some fabulous hairdressers and this is as good as it gets.

Eta I like mine just long enough to pull into a half pony, or a low pony with bobby pins. But truly, I have tried everything. Straightening was the only other thing which helped, makes my hair look like a glossy waterfall, even though there are only like, 100 thin bits of it. Lol

Edited by item, 09 December 2012 - 06:30 PM.

#5 steffijade81

Posted 09 December 2012 - 06:29 PM

My hair is the same. The long fine bob seems to work for alot of people. For me it looks terrible as does a fringe. Mine is just long and I put it up all the time.

#6 Let_it_Rain

Posted 09 December 2012 - 06:31 PM

QUOTE (item @ 09/12/2012, 07:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Can't go past a bob.

Maybe slightly longer in front and layered in the back, else just blunt.

20 years and some fabulous hairdressers and this is as good as it gets.

Second this. I had my hair jaw length at the front and layered to the top of my neck for ages. Looked great when it was blow dried and acceptable when it wasn't.

My hair went curly and a bit thicker after I had DS so it is a whole different battle.

#7 item

Posted 09 December 2012 - 06:33 PM

Steffi, try a slightly shorter cut with a relaxation treatment/straightening. Makes a huge difference.

#8 Propaganda

Posted 09 December 2012 - 07:10 PM

A layered bob might help. The layers will lighten your hair and allow you to puff it up a bit to add volume. I recommend dampening your hair each morning and putting some volumising mousse through it, then blow drying it to make it appear less fine and thin. This is what currently worse well for my hair.

#9 *JJ*

Posted 09 December 2012 - 08:23 PM

Damn, doesn't anyone have the most amazing awesome looking cut that will work amazingly????? LOL

At least I am not alone, think I will start at just on my shoulders and with a side swept fringe and go from there. At this point I am ready to shave it off only it wouldn't be pretty!!

#10 Propaganda

Posted 09 December 2012 - 10:59 PM

http://bobhairstyles.tk/wp-content/uploads...yles-hairii.jpg

The woman above has fairly fine hair, but a layered, concave bob gives her more volume.

I don't think Victoria Beckham has fine hair, but her hairstyle seems to have somewhat influenced the trend, and gives an idea about the overall result of the cut http://images.totalbeauty.com/content/phot...-beckham-13.jpg

#11 Ruby Gloom

Posted 10 December 2012 - 05:40 AM

Hi JJ,

I have similar sounding hair to you! I took the plunge a few months ago and went the pixie cut. I've never looked back, it's so easy to maintain and looks thicker!

#12 HappyWomble

Posted 10 December 2012 - 06:07 AM

Those bob photos have WAYYYYY more hair than me. My hair is very fine and very thin. One thing I was noticing was that heaps of my hair was falling out every day.

I've been on a bit of a hippy thing lately and wondered if the shampooing and conditioning etc was having an effect. I had noticed that some conditioners that came with hair colouring treatments would cause more hair to fall out and my skin to break out. So after much experimentation, what I did was go shampoo-free. But it was a multistep process.

I started by changing to the Moo Goo shampoo and conditioner. I found that the shampoo was so gentle, I didn't need the conditioner. My hair felt quite different for awhile, not bad, just a different kind of clean. I also stretched out the time between washes. Those of us with fine hair will tell you that you HAVE to wash everyday or it's disgustingly oily. But I found my hair was becoming less oily.

Then, after a while, I decided to switch to straight bicarb diluted in water in a cup (if you use a disposable plastic cup, you just lightly cover the bottom with bicarb and add about an inch of water and swish it around). You condition with something mildly acidic like diluted vinegar or lemon or lime juice. My hair is now squeeky clean, but most importantly - it's not falling out anymore! Even my husband noticed that the hair trap in the bottom of the shower is no longer clogged with hair. So while still quite thin, there's more hair because it simply isn't falling out all the time. It was getting to the point where you could see my scalp all through my hair. Now it looks covered.

I've been doing this for the better part of a year now (also since choosing to not dye my hair anymore, which will also help). My hair is thicker and shinier. I'm working up to using beaten egg as a deep conditioner to see if that helps too.

Maybe worth a try?

As for hair style... at the back it's approximately along the tops of my shoulder or at most an inch or two below. I noticed that the front of my hair doesn't really grow longer than the tip of my nose. After that it fizzles out to straggly hairs. So I decided to cut it to the tip of my nose. Actually what I do is comb all my hair forward and towards my nose. I cut everything longer than my nose or, if coming around from the sides, anything longer than the corners of my mouth. This has the added benefit of not having my spiderweb hair blowing into my mouth (I've been known to choke on it). You then ease these layers into the back of your hair. And no, it doesn't end up looking like a mullet wink.gif it looks like a layered bob with long fringe (as opposed to longer sides, like in the links above). More like this http://cdn.sheknows.com/filter/l/gallery/h...layered_bob.jpg
or the first 2 on this page
http://plamgirlshop.com/2012/10/layered-bo...yles-for-women/

And it can look a bit posh if you put your hair behind your ears, a bit like this: http://bobhairstyles.tk/2012/09/long-chopp...styles-slodive/

I hope that helps.

Edited by HappyWomble, 10 December 2012 - 06:08 AM.

#13 *JJ*

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:13 AM

HappyWomble your hair sounds so much like mine!!

I am going to try your tips starting today but am going to go straight for the bi-carb and vinegar and see how that works. Am a little excited and hopeful!!

Also booked into hairdressers at lunch to get it cut shoulder length and shorter around the front and go from there!!

Thanks for the replies and lets hope I can stop some hair loss and start to get some growth   biggrin.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Tot meets his heroes, falls apart with excitement

Two-year-old Quincy finished his potty training last week, and as part of his reward he was able to meet his idols.

Beautiful in our eyes: Georgia's story

I will never deny the fact that grief has a place when you give birth to a child who brings a set of circumstances very different to what you imagined. Because for nine months, I thought I knew my Georgie.

'It's been phenomenal': widower dad of quads thankful for support

There was nothing Erica and Carlos wanted more than a baby.

Vin Diesel names daughter after actor Paul Walker

The actor said there was "no other person" he was thinking about when he chose the name.

How midwives can help women who experience domestic violence

More than half of women who live with abusive partners experience violence during pregnancy.

Mum describes giving birth during Cyclone Pam

A new mother was told she must flee Port Vila hospital with her baby as Cyclone Pam bore down.

6 signs you're done having babies

There were a few signs I'm never going back to the land of maternity jeans, breast pumps and bassinets.

Marta Dusseldorp reveals breastfeeding cost her an acting job

Australian actress Marta Dusseldorp has revealed she was forced to withdraw from a Sydney Theatre Company production because a director did not approve of her breast feeding.

Female celebs (or their babies) with traditionally male names

Looking for a name that's a little bit different for a girl? Turn to names that have been traditionally used for males, as these celebs (or their parents) did.

'If you're anti-immunisation ... take a look at this picture of my son'

Greg Hughes is "an absolute shell of a man" as he and his wife Catherine struggle to come to terms with the loss of their newborn son Riley to whooping cough.

How an extrovert can raise an introvert

Introverts are often misunderstood as shy, and sometimes even rude. A timid child can be difficult to build rapport with, but it's important we nurture their sensitive natures.

Sheryl Sandberg's advice

'Choreplay': Help out at home to get more sex, Sandberg tells men

Forget foreplay. The new and improved route to intercourse is "choreplay" - it's good for your spouse, good for your house, and comes with the imprimatur of feminist du jour Sheryl Sandberg.

How to play with your baby

The first time your child learns a new skill at playtime is very exciting - for both you and your baby! Play is important to your child's development for a variety of reasons - here are some simple ideas for you to try at home.

I'm a single mother by choice

For me, being the best mother I can be means being a mum alone, at least for now. Thinking of my friends with inadequate partners, I wonder why more people don’t choose single motherhood.

Awkward wedding photos

Weird poses, surprise photobombs, bizarre editing: these are the wedding photos that should have never seen the light of day.

Four-week-old baby Riley Hughes dies of whooping cough

The mother of a four-week-old Perth baby who died after contracting whooping cough says her family has been left devastated by the loss of her "gorgeous, sweet" son.

Win a Ben & Holly's Little Kingdom prize pack

To celebrate the April 1 release of Holly's Magic Wand on DVD and Digital, we are giving away five DVD packs featuring the newest installment of Ben & Holly's Little Kingdom Holly's Magic Wand and many more hours of family entertainment! Enter Now!

Oh boy! Video shows family's reaction to baby surprise

Little Peyton Williams thought she was getting a baby sister named Charlee. But the two-year-old has had to settle for a doll dressed in pink after her baby "sister" turned out to be a boy.

How to help build up your baby's immune system

We all know that having a strong immune system is the best way to stay healthy – but what can we do to help it along?

'Nick, you need to call an ambulance': home birth mum's tragic death

A Melbourne mum who died after the home birth of her baby pleaded with her husband to call an ambulance because she felt she was going to die, the Victorian Coroners Court has heard.

When dads believe their baby doesn't 'like' them

Q: My two-month-old baby doesn't like me. He's perfectly content with my wife, but when I try to hold him, he gets upset and cries. I've backed off a little, thinking that he just needs a little time to get used to me, but that doesn't seem to be working. I'm starting to think I'm just not a very good dad. Is it too late for me to build a relationship with my baby?

When was the last time a stranger praised your parenting?

Wouldn’t it be great to get some nice feedback every now and then? After all, everyone likes to hear positive praise, particularly when it comes to parenting.

Special Ticket Offer, Save $8!

The Essential Baby & Toddler Show is back this April! Save $8 off the door price for a limited time only!

15 names on the verge of extinction

If you're looking to revive an older name, or don’t want anything near the top 1000 list, check out these rare monikers for your unique baby.

5 characteristics of great dads

It’s great to see a generation of dads who are more actively involved with caring, nurturing and loving their kids.

Why doesn't Australia have more breast milk banks?

When there’s no question that milk banks are important, why don’t we have more of them in Australia?

Carrie Bickmore announces birth of daughter

Television personality Carrie Bickmore has given birth to her second child.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Sign up to receive 30 amazing tips and ideas for play with baby during the month of April and submit a picture or tip on our social wall for a chance to win an amazing Fisher-Price prize pack.

Man faces jail after giving woman abortion pill smoothie

A Norwegian man is facing jail after putting abortion pills in his ex-girlfriend's smoothie, causing her to have a miscarriage.

'He's a blessing': family of baby born without eyes

Jordy Jackson was born without eyes. He has anophthalmia, which affects one in every 100,000 babies born.

Win one of 5 Cadbury Easter Hampers

With Easter fast approaching, Cadbury are giving away 5 Cadbury Easter Hampers. Enter Now!

Super fit model Sarah Stage defends her pregnancy body

Model Sarah Stage has defended her pregnancy body after critics claimed her slim figure at eight-and-a-half months pregnant wasn't "normal".

Win a Ben & Holly's Little Kingdom and Peppa Pig prize pack

To celebrate the April 1 release of Holly's Magic Wand on DVD and Digital, Essential Baby and Entertainment One are giving away five bumper DVD packs featuring the newest installment of Ben & Holly's Little Kingdom Holly's Magic Wand and many more hours of family entertainment! Enter Now!

Why I post breastfeeding photos online

I love to take pictures of my children. In some of the pictures, my younger son is nursing.

The day I broke my baby

There are things I wish I didn't know. I wish I didn't know that companies make tiny braces, small enough to hold necks no bigger than a wrist.

The place just for dads of multiples

When a couple discovers they're expecting multiples, the dad can sometimes be almost forgotten in all the excitement and preparation. But one group offers a space just for dads of twins and higher-order multiples.

Brave mum calls for domestic violence law reform

A brave mum of two has shared details of the harrowing attacks she suffered at the hands of her partner in a bid to help other victims of domestic violence.

Why I had the new test for Down syndrome

Early last year I turned 35, and having just found out I was pregnant, I opted to have the new test for Down syndrome.

Geeky baby gear

If your family is more into Star Wars, gaming and the periodic table than most, you might want to check out these geek-chic baby items.

2015: the year of the sheep

According to the Chinese zodiac, babies born in the year of the sheep are creative and enjoy spending quiet time with their own thoughts.

Breakthrough genetic testing now available in Australia

Pregnant women will for the first time have access to locally analysed, accurate, non-invasive pre-natal genetic testing when the first Australian clinic to offer the services opens its doors next week.

Grandbabies: the babies born looking old

Not a day under 65 and a lifetime of struggle! That's the look of these newborns, who look adorably older than their real age. Social networking site Reddit recently featured user submissions of adorable grandbabies, here are our favourites.

Family kicked off flight after toddler seatbelt drama

An entire family was kicked off a Cathay Pacific flight when a misbehaving toddler refused to put his seatbelt on.

Stolen baby found after 17 years

A baby stolen from her mother's arms shortly after birth has been found through an astonishing coincidence.

53 creative pregnancy announcements

Announcing that you're expecting can be a time to express your creativity, sense of humour and imagination. Check out how other parents and parents-to-be have broken the news to friends and family.

IKEA hacks for the nursery and kids' rooms

Are you one of those that know the whole IKEA catalogue by heart? Love their stuff but want to personalise it? Here's some inspiration to help you realise the potential of IKEA furniture and fittings.

36 baby names inspired by food and drinks

A French court may have ruled out Nutella as a baby name, but that doesn't have to stop you from taking inspiration from the supermarket (or bottle shop). See what parents in the US have chosen for their delicious little ones.

Clever breastfeeding products

Check out this range of products designed to help make your breastfeeding journey more enjoyable, manageable and convenient.

30 days of #PlayIQ challenge

Receive a daily email from Essential Baby during April with great play tips and ideas, then submit your baby at play photos to our Playwall, Instagram or Twitter for your chance to win.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.