Is 28 considered a large class?
And how do they choose who goes into a large class?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 GeminiSix

Posted 07 December 2012 - 12:32 PM

DD came home earlier this week with news that she will be continuing in the same composite class (1/2) next year with the same teacher.  We were thrilled with this news as her teacher is wonderful, he is very engaging with the kids.  A handful of kids have been moved to other classes and a few others have moved in. He has told them that next year there will be 28 kids in the class, and it will be the largest class in the school.  There are 4 x 1/2 composite classes in the school.

It got me thinking how would they decide which children go into the largest class?  DD's literacy skills are advanced, maths is on track too so I was thinking that perhaps they put all the children who don't need extra assistance in together.  

I wouldn't be too impressed if my child was struggling and was placed in the largest class.

Any teachers who can shed light as to how classes are picked?  And is 28 considered "large" compared to other schools.

#2 Beanbag Warrior

Posted 07 December 2012 - 12:42 PM

By QLD standards/regulations, for that age group, yes it would be a large class.

23-24 is considered more acceptable, but it does depend on numbers as to how many teachers the school is allocated, so sometimes there is no choice.

#3 Phascogale

Posted 07 December 2012 - 12:45 PM

Not particularly large.  The research also shows that it's the quality of the teacher, not the size of the class that influences learning.  You can have a woeful teacher with only 15 kids in the class and have terrible learning or a brilliant teacher with 32 kids and excellent learning.  The school may see this teacher as the one most capable of engaging all the kids which is why she has a couple of extras.  If your child was struggling in one area then the school will probably have things in place to help ie a teacher to pull kids out for small group tutoring or something like reading recovery.

Ideally a class around 25 may be better.  In Vic the government schools try and have P-2 classes no more than about 22.  The higher year levels around the 28-30 mark (depends on facililites, number of teachers etc).  This is what happened with the first school my kids attended.  My daughter in her 3/4 class of 29 did better than when she was in the 1/2 with about 24 kids (different teacher).  The second school they attended had class sizes capped at 25 with occasional going overs to about 26/27 (which would drop back when kids left).  This was for all classes from prep.  I remember when I was at school that it was regular to have 32/33 kids in a class and I don't remember an issue.

What will also likely happen is that if new kids come they won't be put into your son's class but the other classes with less kids and kids may also leave that will drop the numbers a little.

#4 JRA

Posted 07 December 2012 - 12:47 PM

That seems pretty big to me.

I suspect/hope the other classes in the same group are only 1 person less. I would be pretty shocked if one class is 28, and the others 24 for instance. I suspect the others are 27. Assuming that, I would have thought 5 classes would have made more sense because that would make 109 kids which would make 22 per class for 5 classes.

#5 msro82

Posted 07 December 2012 - 12:50 PM

Most schools like to cap around 25, but if needed stretch to 28.

DD goes to a catholic tasmanian school and they aim for 25 per class, but if needed will go up to 28.

As a previous poster said its likely that the other classes are 27 students.

I doubt a school would have space to make a whole other class with fewer numbers.

#6 PrincessPeach

Posted 07 December 2012 - 01:04 PM

It does sound quite high, my assumption is they are a student or two off getting another fulltime teacher, so lets hope another couple enrol early next year, which will change your numbers around a bit.

#7 GeminiSix

Posted 07 December 2012 - 01:07 PM

Thanks for the replies.  This is a Catholic school in Vic.  I'm sure the other 1/2 classes are around 25/26, so I suppose it's not such a big number compared to them.  A new principal started last year who has allowed numbers to creep up, previously to that Preps were capped at 25 no exceptions, so the effect of that is starting to show.  All classrooms are being utilised at the moment, the school is on 25 acres so there is room to move.  Our town has many new developments with new families moving in so making the school larger is inevitable.

#8 mumto3princesses

Posted 07 December 2012 - 05:17 PM

Yes for that age group I would say its a large class. I think our school tries to do something like no more than 20 for Kindergarten, no more than 22 for Year 1 and no more than 24 for year 2. And a 1/2 composite would be 22 rather than 24.(I could have my numbers slightly wrong but its about that)

But my twins are in a 3/4 composite and they have 31 in their class this year. And I think all the other primary classes (3x 3/4 composites and 3x 5/6 composites) are about 30-31 per class.

#9 Julie3Girls

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:59 PM

For that level, yes, I would consider it large.
At our school, NSW public, kinder class(FYOS) is capped at 20. Yr 1 is meant to be 22, yr 2 24.
Once you hit yr 3, the limits seem to disappear. Due to some unbalanced numbers in our school, we ended up with lovely small kinder classes this year (17 or 18), but all the yr3 and up classes were sitting on 30.

#10 liveworkplay

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:11 PM

Sounds pretty average to me. Our classes are capped at 28 from prep (FYOS) with one teacher and a part time teachers aid (x hours a day) Why 4 composite classes though and not 2 straight of each grade? That is what sounds the odd thing to me.

#11 Rhoxie

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:20 PM

For a composite early years class yes it's very big.  Our classes for years 1-3 aim for no more than 24 and if it's a composite class no more than 23.

For Preprimary (fyos WA)  they aim for no more than 27 but that is with a full time teacher, a full time assistant, and a full day of Dott provision for the teacher each week and a half day of Dott for the assistant.

#12 Lyn29

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:34 PM

QUOTE (Phascogale @ 07/12/2012, 01:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I remember when I was at school that it was regular to have 32/33 kids in a class and I don't remember an issue.

It's a very different world now, with individual learning plans, differentiated curriculum and so many more bahavioural and learning problems than there used to be. I taught 31 kids about 20 years ago and that was easier than the 22 I scored two years ago. This year I have 28, next year 26 and that's a fair workload in the modern teaching era.

In our school we try to keep all grades the same size - unless there are very sound reasons, having a class of 28 while others of the same level are 25 is a bit rough. But there are probably reasons outsiders are not privy to. Good luck to that teacher next year though!

#13 2bundles

Posted 08 December 2012 - 07:17 AM

I would be pushing the school to provide significant aide time. Those numbers are too high for yr 2.

#14 Ritaroo

Posted 08 December 2012 - 07:31 AM

QUOTE (Phascogale @ 07/12/2012, 12:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The research also shows that it's the quality of the teacher, not the size of the class that influences learning.

That is the biggest load of crap generated by cheap governments who don't want to pay for extra teachers. Class sizes, regardless of how good the teacher is, makes a big difference. If I was given a class of 28 little ones, I would be calling the union ASAP.

#15 Ritaroo

Posted 08 December 2012 - 07:31 AM

QUOTE (Phascogale @ 07/12/2012, 12:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The research also shows that it's the quality of the teacher, not the size of the class that influences learning.

That is the biggest load of crap generated by cheap governments who don't want to pay for extra teachers. Class sizes, regardless of how good the teacher is, makes a big difference. If I was given a class of 28 little ones, I would be calling the union ASAP.

#16 Carmen02

Posted 08 December 2012 - 07:32 AM

it is large class, my DDs and DSs school doesnt like to have more then 25 in a class, DS had 19 in his class this year and DD had 22 they are in grade 2 and 4. DS has alot of people who have additional needs as well as DS so its great his class is smaller. They usually look at the students needs/abilities before placing them with a teacher

#17 anasam

Posted 08 December 2012 - 12:43 PM

DS is in a class of 31, the other class is 31 also. They have an open class arrangement so 2 teachers and an occasional assistant looking after 62 kids. DS got a good report and he seem to have improved in a lot of areas. On the downside though, he recently told me another boy has been punching him in class fairly regularly and the teacher never sees it. They had 2 of the best teachers this year but i am very worried about who they will get next year.

#18 froggy1

Posted 08 December 2012 - 12:58 PM

DD1 was in a class of 23 for Year 1. This is a pretty good size. From what I've heard, it is not unusual for catholic schools to run larger classes. The Prep class in the local catholic school was 25 this year, compared to an average of 17 in the local public. I don't buy the 'quality of the teacher' argument either. Smaller class size = more individual time with the teacher. Can't buy better than that.

#19 *bibs*

Posted 08 December 2012 - 01:03 PM

I have had 29 students all of this year, last year i hit 33 at one stage.  I am a teacher in QLD.  I think 28 is quite normal/acceptable but not ideal if that makes sense.

#20 Expelliarmus

Posted 08 December 2012 - 01:18 PM

QUOTE (Mar81got @ 08/12/2012, 07:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually it's research by John Hattie.
This table (scroll down) ranks influential factors according to the greatest effect in learning. You can see what comes last ...

It's not a governmental thing. Hattie is a researcher from Melbourne and generated his peer reviewed research without governmental coercion.

The Union wouldn't be able to do anything about a class size of 28.

#21 mombasa

Posted 08 December 2012 - 01:24 PM

28 seems large to me as well. DD is in Kindy (FYOS) at a Private Christian School and has 21 kids in her class the other class also has 21, next year in Yr 1 one child in each class has left and we have 4 new enrolments which will make each class 22 each, they also have an aide. Not sure I would be thrilled at 28 TBH, the local Catholic Schools in our areas are renown for having larger class sizes though while the Public Schools have smaller classes and around 5 classes per year.

#22 Expelliarmus

Posted 08 December 2012 - 01:35 PM

QUOTE (*magenta* @ 08/12/2012, 01:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It is possibly more detrimental to the teacher than the students.

Yes, that is the reason for union and teacher opposition to it. Unfortunately Christopher Pyne uses it to discredit EBA requests for smaller class sizes - because it doesn't negatively effect students. It has a huge impact on teacher workload however. But no one ever wants to hear about that.

It's a double edged sword piece of research.

#23 Feral Grey Mare

Posted 08 December 2012 - 01:48 PM

Back in the stone age I was in a class of 41. The teachers' union were campaigning for class sizes to be capped at 40 so we took it in turns for one of us to sit at a desk in the corridor outside the classroom, listening in to the lesson through the window. Of course smaller class sizes are way better for all concerned. My kids were never in classes of over 30 pupils and there was a noticable difference in the amount they learned as their class sizes diminished through primary school.

#24 Ritaroo

Posted 08 December 2012 - 02:22 PM

QUOTE (howdo @ 08/12/2012, 01:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Actually it's research by John Hattie.
This table (scroll down) ranks influential factors according to the greatest effect in learning. You can see what comes last ...

It's not a governmental thing. Hattie is a researcher from Melbourne and generated his peer reviewed research without governmental coercion.

The Union wouldn't be able to do anything about a class size of 28.

I have seen the research but I do not believe that classes with multiple special needs, behaviour problems, individualised curriculum and the like are in no way impacted by class sizes. What I should have said is that governments have run with the findings of the research and used it to discredit teacher EB claims that class sizes impact on learning conditions. Not just teacher workload, but conditions for the students. Yes, a class of 28, 30 or even 32 might work just fine in a leafy suburb of a major city  where you have no behaviour  issues  and teachers can just get on with actual teaching but I do not believe it works for areas where students, resourcing issues and socioeconomic factors influence learning.

#25 Expelliarmus

Posted 08 December 2012 - 02:41 PM

QUOTE (Mar81got @ 08/12/2012, 02:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have seen the research but I do not believe that classes with multiple special needs, behaviour problems, individualised curriculum and the like are in no way impacted by class sizes. What I should have said is that governments have run with the findings of the research and used it to discredit teacher EB claims that class sizes impact on learning conditions. Not just teacher workload, but conditions for the students. Yes, a class of 28, 30 or even 32 might work just fine in a leafy suburb of a major city  where you have no behaviour  issues  and teachers can just get on with actual teaching but I do not believe it works for areas where students, resourcing issues and socioeconomic factors influence learning.

That I can agree with. Christopher Pyne, in his effort to undermine education reform will cite the research ad nauseum without bothering to understand how to apply the findings.

But we don't need me to get on my soapbox about that right now. I think I've been on that too much lately ...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Why Tracey Spicer has given up make-up

"After 30 years on television, I had become what I despised: a painted doll who spent an hour a day and close to $200 a week putting on a mask."

Empowering bikini photo of 46-year-old mum goes viral

When a group of teenagers made rude remarks about her body as she walked past them in a bikini at the local beach, Julie Cross refused to cover up.

Devastated widow discovers she's pregnant the day before husband's funeral

They had been trying to conceive a baby for seven years. Tragically Kristy Kirchner found out she was pregnant the day before her husband Royce's funeral.

Gabriella Goat sues Peppa Pig

Every toddler's favourite television pig is being sued by an Italian woman who shares a name with a Peppa Pig character.

Meet the Mpregs, the male pregnancy enthusiasts

"Men can't have babies - that's something only women can do! But our community is full of like-minded people who wish otherwise."

Your new motherhood survival kit

Forget about the bright, pretty baby things - while you're in survival mode, all you'll need are the essentials.

More than 100,000 cars recalled globally after death of pregnant woman

The announcement of a mass recall comes as Malaysian police investigate the death of pregnant woman in July.

Win a family pass to Disney Live!

We have 4 family passes to give away to see Disney Live! presents Three Classic Fairy Tales, touring Australia this December/January.

I had a 'good baby' but still suffered from postnatal depression

I had a much wanted precious baby girl, a 'good baby' who slept well, self settled and was mostly content. It just seemed implausible to think I could succumb to depression.

There's no need to eclipse a babymoon

As long as pregnant women do their research, travelling during pregnancy can be done safely.

Mum and daughter have babies on same day

"It's not really something you ever want or think could happen. To have my mum going through it with me is probably the most special, amazing thing ever.”

Our baby's reflux caused the longest endurance test of our lives

I'm glad she wasn't my first child, or I would have thought that this was normal.

Win one of 5 Little Tikes Cozy Coupe Sport

Australia?s No 1 selling car is now available in a Sports model and we have 5 to give away to some lucky Essential Baby families.

The podcast that reminds mums they are not alone

A mum's complicated, gruelling labour gave birth to two lovely beings: her daughter and her delightful podcast, The Longest Shortest Time.

Is it too late to change my midwife?

My wife is nine months pregnant and we are planning a home birth - but we've had late problems with our midwife team.

The Very Hungover Caterpillar: a parody many can relate to

A new book released this month will be sure to have parents nodding and giggling in recognition the world over.

Babywearers unite against misinformation

Everyone has heard of people power, but what about passionate babywearing power?

Reliving the birth experience

When people ask about how my labour went, I usually respond: "Good, I think? Four hours long, and yeah it hurt, but I dunno, it's labour, it's giving birth, it's painful... but I guess it was good? As good as good gets?"

Literary baby name inspiration

From Harry Potter to Shakespeare and everything in between, we've scoured the library shelves for literary baby name inspiration.

Preparing your child to attend a sibling's birth

Thinking about having your kids at the birth of your baby? Here are some things to consider.

Counselling helps mum deal with triplets' early birth

When Kimberlee King's waters broke nine weeks before her triplets were due, she went into autopilot as she packed her hospital bag.

The women balancing babies with new businesses

Motherhood teaches us that we can be more tolerant, patient, and loving than we ever thought possible - and can also show us that we're innovative, creative and entrepreneurial, too.

It's true, kids grow up overnight

A dad ponders how his toddler daughter can change so much in just one 24 hour period.

Father sings to dying son days after losing wife

A heartbreaking video shows a new dad singing 'Blackbird' to his dying son just days after losing his wife.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win one of 5 Little Tikes Cozy Coupe Sport

Australia?s No 1 selling car is now available in a Sports model and we have 5 to give away to some lucky Essential Baby families.

Join PADDINGTON on the red carpet!

To celebrate the release of PADDINGTON, we are giving five lucky winners the chance to win a family pass to the exclusive Australian Premiere in Sydney on December 7!

Knowing you are one of the lucky ones

I am secure, confident and strong, but the responsibility of protecting my children can almost bring me undone.

Why I am so emotional now I have kids?

There are so many ways in which parenthood changes us as women, but one of the most noticeable, for me, has been the changing state of my emotions.

Baby survives despite sharing womb with 'foreign body'

Baby Maia was conceived against the odds, only to find she was sharing a womb with an ominous "foreign body".

Video: Baby shows dog how to jump - or vice versa

They say dog is man's best friend, but this playful pooch seems to have chosen a jumping baby as her number one buddy.

10 ways to soothe a crying baby

New paernts can get frustrated when their newborn gets fussy and can't settle down. When you're feeling overwhelmed, try some of these simple tips to help soothe your baby.

20 baby names that are becoming more popular every year

The data-lovers at nameberry.com have been at it again – this time, they’ve discovered the names that are continually rising up the ranks, ready to take out some top spots in the next few years.

10 great meals to make for new parents

Ideally, you want to give food that isn’t expensive to make, isn't too difficult to create, and freezes well; stews, bakes, soups and pasta sauces are perfect.

'It's not you, it's me': Boston bombing survivor mum to have leg amputated

Rebekah DiMartino is going through a break-up. She even wrote a farewell love letter. But it's not to her husband.

What it's like to go through early menopause

In a cruel twist, Carla had been breastfeeding and perimenopausal at the same time. But she's far from the only one to go through menopause early.

Restaurant served alcohol to two-year-old

Busy restaurants can be forgiven for getting food and drink orders mixed up from time to time, but not when the confusion leads to a two-year-old being served an alcoholic cocktail instead of the child-friendly beverage they ordered.

Julia Morris tells of miscarriage on a flight

Julia Morris has spoken about the devastation of suffering a miscarriage while on an international flight.

Woman's survival after birth 'a story of two miracles'

A US mother is home and tending to her new baby less than a month after surviving without a pulse for 45 minutes.

Eating ice may give mental boost to the iron deficient: study

A new study proposes that, like a strong cup of coffee, ice may give those with insufficient iron a much-needed mental boost.

Tiny lives in caring hands: Thank U NICU Day

Each year in Australia, over 40,000 newborns need the help of a special care nursery or neonatal intensive care unit. One day a year, the staff are honoured by the parents they help through those dark days.

I paid $50,000 to have a girl

This time my husband and I hadn't taken any chances. We had paid $50,000 and travelled 13,000 kilometres to make sure the baby growing inside me was female.

Weird pregnancy products

Some pregnancy products come to market and are just awesome. Others just leave you scratching your head.

Dear firstborn, I'm sorry

Being a first-time mum is tough for so many reasons – particularly because you really have no idea what you're doing.

A trace of sesame could kill my son

Helen Richardson son's had two anaphylactic reactions in a month. It's traumatic for everyone.

When you know before the test says yes

It wasn't a pregnancy test or missed period that told me I was pregnant with my second baby; it was too early for those things. A doner kebab told me I was going to be a mum again.

What not to do when your partner is in labour

Robbie Williams stole the show during his wife Ayda's labour, pretty much demonstrating everything on the "what not to do when your partner is in labour" list.

Best maternity swimwear and beach cover-ups

Thinking about a tropical babymoon but have nothing to wear? Here are some great swimwear and beach cover-up options for mums-to-be.

Mark Latham, you have no idea

Parents who treat their depression are "cowardly", feminists are baby haters with a "psychoneurotic disorder". Really, Mark?

How many weeks til Christmas?

On your To-Do list

Get the "Santa" shopping done without the kids in tow.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.