Is this legal?
Redundancy after maternity leave

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 matt1972

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:16 AM

My wife had our daughter in May and was in full time work up until late April.
She arranged with her employer to take the rest of the year off as maternity leave and return to work 2 days per week when the business reopened in January. All of this was agreed to by all parties at about the midstage of the pregnancy.
Today they had their meeting to discuss the return to work in January and she was told that she was being made redundant. She was given 6 weeks pay at her full time rate and that was that.

I don't think that either of us are particularly shocked by this but does my wife have any legal recourse?

The official line was that the position was made redundant which probably can't be disproved, I guess apart from the obvious the most frustrating part is that she organised a meeting about 4 weeks ago with them to discuss working remotely between September and January and there was no indication given during that meeting that they had this Christmas present in store for her.

Oh and she isn't in a union so that's not an option.

#2 Orangedrops

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:21 AM

If her position has been made redundant then yes unfortunately it is legal.

#3 katpaws

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:22 AM

I was made redundant while on maternity leave - yes it is legal as long as it is under the premise that the position no longer exists in the organisaton. It is a lovely loophole for businesses to remove women from the workplace.

If you think your wife has been discriminated against, contact your state Equal Opportunity oganisation. A google search (or the Federal human rights website) should bring up the legislation and guidelines.

If you are in Victoria, JobWatch are an excellent (but under resourced) organisation for help. If you look at their website there is some good information there.

As for entitlements, Fair Work Au or the employment contract should help.

#4 Mpjp is feral

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:23 AM

What do you mean by legal recourse? What is it you want?

Unfortunately jobs DO get made redundant, and people do lose their jobs, despite best intentions at time of discussion.

On the 6 weeks payment - can you give more info about your wife's work contract (i.e. perm?), notice periods stipulated in her contract, what Award if any she workds under, is there an EBA in place and how long she'd worked there? There are national redundancy standards, and I wonder if they've been followed if this is all she got.

#5 Z-girls rock

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:23 AM

I suggest making your enquiry to Fair Work Australia: contact details are on this webpage http://www.fwa.gov.au/index.cfm?pagename=headercontact

I called about a dismissal years and years ago and they were helpful with their advice.

#6 katpaws

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:28 AM

Also, if you want to question what has happened, and make a complaint, etc, it is vital that your wife collect all documentation about her return to work and write up all recollections of meetings she had with her workplace (ie who attended, what was said, etc). It can be hard to prove as a women you were discriminated against due to pregnancy/maternity leave so you need as much evidence as possible.

If you want to take it further PM me. I have been through the process, however thas was before Fair Work Au ws set up.

ETA - re union membership, I was in a union and they did FA to help me, so don't let no union membership worry you. Job Watch helped me so much, they got me through a hard time.

Edited by katpaws, 07 December 2012 - 10:33 AM.

#7 Lucrezia Borgia

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:30 AM

It happened to me when I returned to work after having my first son.....I went to an employment lawyer because, firstly, I was p*ssed off and secondly I thought it was a bit dodgy....I had requested to come back on a part time basis, which they agreed to. A month later I was effectively demoted, loss of status (lost my office, lost direct reports etc)... Then a few weeks later I was made redundant.....we queried the redundancy because a person was hired - full time- to effectively take my position. There was a whiff of discrimination about it...or so my lawyer argued. They also messed me around a bit with my redundancy payout.

To cut a long story short I got more money out of them.....I think it was worth it. If your wife has doubts tell her to see an employment lawyer...the fact that she's not in a union shouldn't matter...?

#8 lozoodle

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:32 AM

Yes it is legal.

Legally there doesn't need to be an official agreement about the return to work until 4 weeks prior to return, and that is to be confirmed in writing.

#9 matt1972

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:32 AM

QUOTE (meplainjanebrain @ 07/12/2012, 11:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What is it you want?

The financial stability for the forseable future as offered and agreed to by her employer previously.

#10 katpaws

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:44 AM

http://www.netlawman.com.au/info/pregnancy...k-australia.php

http://www.eowa.gov.au/Information_Centres...egnancy_PDF.pdf

#11 lozoodle

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:51 AM

QUOTE (matt1972 @ 07/12/2012, 11:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The financial stability for the forseable future as offered and agreed to by her employer previously.

Was there a signed agreement for this to occur?

Regardless of that, things change. Economic climates change and roles do get made redundant. If the role is truly no longer in existent, there is nothing illegal about it.

#12 Mpjp is feral

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:57 AM

QUOTE (matt1972 @ 07/12/2012, 11:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As others have said - we need more information - as would Jobwatch (excellent resource) and FW if she is covered by them.

Was she the only retrenchment...what happened to her old job? If its a genuine redundancy, then it is legal...but I'd question the payment - if you can give the details then I could advise - or you could call the resources as mentioned above.

If its genuine, then as much as we'd all like financial stability - for many businesses they'd just love to provide it, but circumstances and conditions change, and it isnt always possible. I'm in HR have have just retrenched 8 lovely, well qualified, great performing staff, 3 weeks out from Xmas...because our business is losing money (so there was no work for them), and if it wasn't 8 before Xmas, it would be a whole lot more after Xmas. Unfortunately shareholders aren't very sympathetic to employees demanding financial stability! It's horrible in the extreme....but unfortnately it is sometimes necessary.

If the position has been replaced (as in the scenario described by several pp's in their own experiences) then it may not be genuine and may be considered discrimination, in which case she'd have recourse if she was able to prove discrimination based on carer responsibilities etc.

The other thing to remembere is that business don't HAVE to agree to part time or remote working conditions, if it doesn't suit the requirements of the business and role. They have to make reasonable accomodations, but there are some roles, that as much as an employer woudld like to offer part time, they are simplly unable to.

You just haven't given enough info for any advise other than speculation and pp's own experiences, which will have unique circumstances in each case.

Edited by meplainjanebrain, 07 December 2012 - 11:02 AM.

#13 Carabosse

Posted 07 December 2012 - 11:13 AM

i think it is only legally unstable if the position is not really redundant and they advertise for a replacement.
Meplainjanebrain has written some excellent points!

#14 CallMeFeral

Posted 07 December 2012 - 11:18 AM

I believe the 'redundancy' excuse gets rid of pretty much all employee rights. That's why in private companies, being 'permanent' does not mean much in terms of rights, only means that you have a certain notice period and monetary entitlements.
All they need to do is change the name of the position, write up the duties as somewhat different, and then rehire - that makes it legal.

#15 tothebeach

Posted 07 December 2012 - 11:22 AM

Nobody in private enterprise has financial stability.  Any position can be made redundant.  Unfortunately, after dodging the GFC for a number of years, the economy is slowing.

#16 MrsNorris

Posted 07 December 2012 - 11:24 AM

Edited by Willoughby Chase, 08 February 2013 - 02:13 PM.

#17 Lucrezia Borgia

Posted 07 December 2012 - 11:24 AM

QUOTE (CallMeAliG @ 07/12/2012, 12:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I believe the 'redundancy' excuse gets rid of pretty much all employee rights. That's why in private companies, being 'permanent' does not mean much in terms of rights, only means that you have a certain notice period and monetary entitlements.
All they need to do is change the name of the position, write up the duties as somewhat different, and then rehire - that makes it legal.

Yes that's right....I query whether the majority of redundancies are in fact legitimate redundancies .....

...and they don't have to agree to a request to work part time...but having agreed to it, they can't discriminate against someone because of their part time status ....

Anyway, we don't know all the facts...but companies do get these things wrong, HR can act all touchy feely and hand out as many "employee assistance hotline" cards as they want...at the end of the day HR are there to protect the company, they are not the advocate for the employee in this situation...if the OPs wife thinks it is questionable then she should question it.....a well written letter from a lawyer can do wonders.....and if its unfair dismissal or discrimination then make the bastards pay.....

ETA....sorry, I'm still a bit touchy about my experience....

Edited by Lucretia Borgia, 07 December 2012 - 11:25 AM.

#18 Bunsen the feral

Posted 07 December 2012 - 11:27 AM

QUOTE (lozoodle @ 07/12/2012, 11:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Was there a signed agreement for this to occur?

There doesn't need to be, if the employee is entitled to maternity leave her employer must hold their job for them. If the job is not available then it either has to be a legitimate redundancy or it is unfair dismissal - if it is unfair dismissal why wouldn't she expect compensation?

#19 Mpjp is feral

Posted 07 December 2012 - 11:37 AM

QUOTE (Lucretia Borgia @ 07/12/2012, 12:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Anyway, we don't know all the facts...but companies do get these things wrong, HR can act all touchy feely and hand out as many "employee assistance hotline" cards as they want...at the end of the day HR are there to protect the company, they are not the advocate for the employee in this situation...if the OPs wife thinks it is questionable then she should question it.....a well written letter from a lawyer can do wonders.....and if its unfair dismissal or discrimination then make the bastards pay.....

I'm sorry you've had a poor experience, and I am certianly not saying it doesn't happen.

In regards to the bolded statement - what a lot of peopel don't understand is that YES HR most definitely ARE there to protect the company - and in my role as a HR Manager this means making sure that the company (and its managers/ decision makers) are playing by all the legal rules that are there to protect employees....because when they don't it puts the company at risk - financially, legally, in a reputation sense etc.

Much of the time these things coincide....protect the company by protecting employee rights....

And depending upon the structure of the company - sometimes HR can advocate for the employee (I cant tell you how many times I have done this when managers just want a 'problem' to go away)...but you'd never know it! But I do agree - as an HR person at the end of the day I am employeed by the company - not the individual.

#20 lozoodle

Posted 07 December 2012 - 11:40 AM

QUOTE (Bunsen @ 07/12/2012, 12:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There doesn't need to be, if the employee is entitled to maternity leave her employer must hold their job for them. If the job is not available then it either has to be a legitimate redundancy or it is unfair dismissal - if it is unfair dismissal why wouldn't she expect compensation?

I realise that, but there is also provision for redundancy in that legislation (I work in a law firm).

But when there is a change in hours occuring, such as someone returning part time, it is confirmed in writing. Just as your commencement of parental leave is confirmed in writing.

They don't actually have to hold the same exact role if it doesn't exist anymore, though you are entitled to a role similar in remuneration and status if it exists.

Edited by lozoodle, 07 December 2012 - 11:41 AM.

#21 matt1972

Posted 07 December 2012 - 12:27 PM

Without trawling through all of the replies one by one here is the gist of what I know;

Someone was employed under a slightly different title as my wife went on maternity leave. The new employee was ostensibly a replacement for the role being left vacant. This person is still employed there.

The redundancy offered was 6 weeks at full pay plus 4 weeks notice. The term of employment ticked over 3 years in October.

The return to work on a part-time basis was agreed to in writing some time ago.

My wife isn't interested (nor would I be) in having her employment reinstated at this company.

Nobody else has been made redundant.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

After a few checks online it looks as though the "package" is legally correct so that will probably be the end of it. As PP's have stated unless the company is stupid enough to advertise for the exact same position within a certain amount of time there probably isn't any recourse.
Thanks for all the informative replies.

#22 MrsLexiK

Posted 07 December 2012 - 12:49 PM

QUOTE (lozoodle @ 07/12/2012, 11:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Regardless of that, things change. Economic climates change and roles do get made redundant. If the role is truly no longer in existent, there is nothing illegal about it.

I know plenty of people who are being made redundant for legit reasons at this time.

QUOTE (meplainjanebrain @ 07/12/2012, 11:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If its genuine, then as much as we'd all like financial stability - for many businesses they'd just love to provide it, but circumstances and conditions change, and it isnt always possible. I'm in HR have have just retrenched 8 lovely, well qualified, great performing staff, 3 weeks out from Xmas...because our business is losing money (so there was no work for them), and if it wasn't 8 before Xmas, it would be a whole lot more after Xmas. Unfortunately shareholders aren't very sympathetic to employees demanding financial stability! It's horrible in the extreme....but unfortnately it is sometimes necessary.

The other thing to remembere is that business don't HAVE to agree to part time or remote working conditions, if it doesn't suit the requirements of the business and role. They have to make reasonable accomodations, but there are some roles, that as much as an employer woudld like to offer part time, they are simplly unable to.

sad.gif that must have been hard for you, I remember when my mum has to retrench her first person she felt terrible.

I also agree with your second point.  I know my position can't be done part time - it just can't and job sharing would not work. It just would not.  I think the fact that I thought these things through and was upfront with my bosses made them have a huge sigh of relief.  I have told them I want to work part time but I get that I can't do that in my current job/business.  They are trying to find me a part time job within the industry still (the bigger companies you can work from home easily) I don't see all employers as horrible.

QUOTE (matt1972 @ 07/12/2012, 01:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My wife isn't interested (nor would I be) in having her employment reinstated at this company.

Also just going back to my employment law study days.  I think the judgement is what they (the mag/etc) chooses.  ie reinstatement back into the job, or the correct payout.  If she has been given the correct payout I don't think you will end up getting what you want. (which I take it, is not her job back but compensation)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Heartwarming prank gives single mum the house she was hired to clean

Cara Simmons arrived at work to clean a large and beautiful house in time for a party planned for that evening. It was soon hers.

Why we should stop telling new parents to 'enjoy every moment'

A few weeks ago, some dear friends of mine had their first baby. As the proud dad texted me a picture I had to fight the natural instinct to say “Enjoy every moment!”

Transgender dad breastfeeds his babies

A transgender man who breastfed his first baby - despite having his breasts removed as part of his transformation from female to male - has now had a second child.

Couple face $1 million medical bill and bankruptcy after babymoon birth

A Canadian couple were slammed with a million dollar medical bill after their daughter was prematurely during their babymoon.

Win one of 5 Little Tikes Cozy Coupe Sport

Australia?s No 1 selling car is now available in a Sports model and we have 5 to give away to some lucky Essential Baby families.

Cigarettes, junk food dominate supermarket sales growth

One in every five dollars spent at supermarkets goes on cigarettes or junk food, according to industry data.

Teacher under fire for breastfeeding in class

There is no doubt mums have a right to continue breastfeeding after they have returned to work, but one teacher in the US has taken it to the extreme.

Video: Baby sniffs beardless dad to make sure it's him

She looks him up and down and then touches his chin, but baby Lindsey still isn't sure this clean-shaven man is her dad.

The tragedy of losing a favourite teddy bear

We were green and uninitiated, perhaps a little naïve when it came to the favourite toy responsibility.

It's possible to workout while pregnant

Medical experts say intense fitness routines can be done safely during pregnancy - if the mums-to-be follow some guidelines.

Baby for Asher Keddie and Vincent Fantauzzo

Fans followed every step of her on-screen pregnancy in Offspring, now Asher Keddie is going to be a mum in real life too.

What parents really want for their kids

Are our hopes, dreams and expectations for our children what they really need?

'I had a feeling something was seriously wrong': the fight for Kaden's diagnosis

Before even giving birth, Katie Myers' maternal instincts warned her something was wrong with her baby.

When your pregnancy causes a relationship rift

Some dads-to-be don't miss a beat when their partner is pregnant; others struggle with a range of issues and can become withdrawn, right when their support is needed most.

Couple uses group photo trick to announce pregnancy to loved ones

Katharine and Kris Camilli devised a clever trick to immortalise their family and friends' reaction to their exciting pregnancy news.

Why Tracey Spicer has given up make-up

"After 30 years on television, I had become what I despised: a painted doll who spent an hour a day and close to $200 a week putting on a mask."

Empowering bikini photo of 46-year-old mum goes viral

When a group of teenagers made rude remarks about her body as she walked past them in a bikini at the local beach, Julie Cross refused to cover up.

Devastated widow discovers she's pregnant the day before husband's funeral

They had been trying to conceive a baby for seven years. Tragically Kristy Kirchner found out she was pregnant the day before her husband Royce's funeral.

Win a family pass to Disney Live!

We have 4 family passes to give away to see Disney Live! presents Three Classic Fairy Tales, touring Australia this December/January.

Gabriella Goat sues Peppa Pig

Every toddler's favourite television pig is being sued by an Italian woman who shares a name with a Peppa Pig character.

Meet the Mpregs, the male pregnancy enthusiasts

"Men can't have babies - that's something only women can do! But our community is full of like-minded people who wish otherwise."

Your new motherhood survival kit

Forget about the bright, pretty baby things - while you're in survival mode, all you'll need are the essentials.

More than 100,000 cars recalled globally after death of pregnant woman

The announcement of a mass recall comes as Malaysian police investigate the death of pregnant woman in July.

I had a 'good baby' but still suffered from postnatal depression

I had a much wanted precious baby girl, a 'good baby' who slept well, self settled and was mostly content. It just seemed implausible to think I could succumb to depression.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win one of 5 Little Tikes Cozy Coupe Sport

Australia?s No 1 selling car is now available in a Sports model and we have 5 to give away to some lucky Essential Baby families.

Join PADDINGTON on the red carpet!

To celebrate the release of PADDINGTON, we are giving five lucky winners the chance to win a family pass to the exclusive Australian Premiere in Sydney on December 7!

Knowing you are one of the lucky ones

I am secure, confident and strong, but the responsibility of protecting my children can almost bring me undone.

Why I am so emotional now I have kids?

There are so many ways in which parenthood changes us as women, but one of the most noticeable, for me, has been the changing state of my emotions.

Baby survives despite sharing womb with 'foreign body'

Baby Maia was conceived against the odds, only to find she was sharing a womb with an ominous "foreign body".

Video: Baby shows dog how to jump - or vice versa

They say dog is man's best friend, but this playful pooch seems to have chosen a jumping baby as her number one buddy.

10 ways to soothe a crying baby

New paernts can get frustrated when their newborn gets fussy and can't settle down. When you're feeling overwhelmed, try some of these simple tips to help soothe your baby.

20 baby names that are becoming more popular every year

The data-lovers at nameberry.com have been at it again – this time, they’ve discovered the names that are continually rising up the ranks, ready to take out some top spots in the next few years.

10 great meals to make for new parents

Ideally, you want to give food that isn’t expensive to make, isn't too difficult to create, and freezes well; stews, bakes, soups and pasta sauces are perfect.

'It's not you, it's me': Boston bombing survivor mum to have leg amputated

Rebekah DiMartino is going through a break-up. She even wrote a farewell love letter. But it's not to her husband.

What it's like to go through early menopause

In a cruel twist, Carla had been breastfeeding and perimenopausal at the same time. But she's far from the only one to go through menopause early.

Restaurant served alcohol to two-year-old

Busy restaurants can be forgiven for getting food and drink orders mixed up from time to time, but not when the confusion leads to a two-year-old being served an alcoholic cocktail instead of the child-friendly beverage they ordered.

Julia Morris tells of miscarriage on a flight

Julia Morris has spoken about the devastation of suffering a miscarriage while on an international flight.

Woman's survival after birth 'a story of two miracles'

A US mother is home and tending to her new baby less than a month after surviving without a pulse for 45 minutes.

Eating ice may give mental boost to the iron deficient: study

A new study proposes that, like a strong cup of coffee, ice may give those with insufficient iron a much-needed mental boost.

Tiny lives in caring hands: Thank U NICU Day

Each year in Australia, over 40,000 newborns need the help of a special care nursery or neonatal intensive care unit. One day a year, the staff are honoured by the parents they help through those dark days.

I paid $50,000 to have a girl

This time my husband and I hadn't taken any chances. We had paid $50,000 and travelled 13,000 kilometres to make sure the baby growing inside me was female.

Weird pregnancy products

Some pregnancy products come to market and are just awesome. Others just leave you scratching your head.

Dear firstborn, I'm sorry

Being a first-time mum is tough for so many reasons – particularly because you really have no idea what you're doing.

A trace of sesame could kill my son

Helen Richardson son's had two anaphylactic reactions in a month. It's traumatic for everyone.

When you know before the test says yes

It wasn't a pregnancy test or missed period that told me I was pregnant with my second baby; it was too early for those things. A doner kebab told me I was going to be a mum again.

What not to do when your partner is in labour

Robbie Williams stole the show during his wife Ayda's labour, pretty much demonstrating everything on the "what not to do when your partner is in labour" list.

Best maternity swimwear and beach cover-ups

Thinking about a tropical babymoon but have nothing to wear? Here are some great swimwear and beach cover-up options for mums-to-be.

Dad breastfeeds his babies

Trevor Macdonald has now been pregnant twice, and is successfully breastfeeding his newest family member.

How many weeks til Christmas?

On your To-Do list

Get the "Santa" shopping done without the kids in tow.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.