Please Help! Morning Sickness relief

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 Alysha139

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:14 AM

Hi All..
I am just wondering if anyone can help me.
I am nearly 10 weeks pregnant and have had morning sickness for 5 weeks now.
I have tried having ginger, however it gives me heartburn and then no relief, I've also tried dry crackers/biscuits, toast, cereal, fruit, salad, basically will put anything in my mouth to stop the nausea.
Is there anything you have tried and found worked to stop/reduce the morning sickness/nausea as I am heading to Melbourne in 2 weeks for Christmas and really don't want to be bed bound like I am most days at home :-(
The doctor has given me maxalon and nausea wafers which work sometimes, but they are also expensive so taking them daily isn't an option.
I hope someone might be able to help me..
Thanks all in advance

#2 chennie

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:29 AM

Hi Alysha139,

Have you tired eating smaller but more frequent snack?  I also find that resting more helped.  Its not the best thing to be going through right now but hope you get over the morning sickness/nausea soon.

#3 WithSprinkles

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:37 AM

Sorry to hear you are going through this.

I found sour lollies to be quite helpful for me (zappos are good!) as it would help increase my sugar levels and something about the sourness was appealing to me while pregnant.

Also, PP's suggestion of eating frequently was something else I found helpful (I also took my multi vitamin at the end of the day after dinner rather than at the beginning of the day, as this way I was able to keep it down!).

My morning sickness was gone by 14 weeks so hopefully you don't have too much longer to endure (though I know some people do experience morning sickness throughout their entire pregnancy - fingers crossed this isn't you!)

#4 Alysha139

Posted 07 December 2012 - 11:35 AM

I am eating every couple of hours. I get up early in the morning cause I'm starving and have toast or cereal. Then I'm buggered again and head back to bed with 2 crackers with Vegemite and an apple for when I wake up.

Then ill get up and get dressed and make it back to the couch for the day or sometimes to the shops and home again.

I have been doing plenty of resting hoping I'd wake up feeling awesome and get stuff done - fat chance.

Ill have to try everyone's suggestions and keep soldiering on. Fingers cross it disappears by 12 weeks otherwise its going to be a long Xmas in Melbourne :-(

#5 Lilybeth

Posted 07 December 2012 - 11:46 AM

Are the nausea wafers you are referring to Zofran (Ondasentron) wafers? I know they are expensive but they were definitely worth it for me. Nothing else worked.

I was sick this at this time of year and it was absolute hell. Zofran was a lifesaver for me and allowed me to live a relatively normal existence. Maybe consider taking them over the Christmas period only and see how you go?

#6 CocobeanLillylove

Posted 07 December 2012 - 11:55 AM

None of the usual 'tips' worked for me. Zofran was the only thing that supplied any relief. It took the edge off so I at least wasn't bed bound as you say. I'm 16 weeks now and still take half a wafer afternoon/nighttime. Yep it is expensive but I would have done anything for a bit of relief from the constant nausea.

My sympathies are with you. It is just such an awful time and I hope it clears before Christmas for you.

#7 Alysha139

Posted 07 December 2012 - 12:02 PM

Yes, I've been given zofran wafers. I am going to get some to take away at Xmas time as I really don't want to be bed bound.I was hoping others might have some good remedies.I am seeing the doctor the day before I fly out so I will make sure I stock up of zofran

#8 Studybug

Posted 07 December 2012 - 12:14 PM

Oh love, I feel for you.  MS sucks big time.

Green apples!!!

Not sure if this will help you, but I found having a green apple beside the bed so I could roll over and slowly eat it before even getting vertical helped with being able to move out of bed.  Also, first preg DH would cut up an orange and pop it beside the bed for when I woke.  Bless him, it made a real difference.

Crackers/biscuits made my MS worse as did vegemite.  Munching on raw red capsicum helped thru out the day.

Also, this preg I discovered MS vitamins which are esentially ginger and vit B6 tabs taken every 8 hours.  Really helped!!!  The ginger did give me slight indigestion so again I munched on a green apple every time I took one.  You really do need to take them religiously for them to work, and whilst the MS didn't totally disappear, the vitamins definitely took the edge off.

Good luck.

#9 RealityBites

Posted 07 December 2012 - 12:21 PM

If you have been prescribed Maxalon and Zofran, then you don't have 'morning sickness', you probably have HG. See the lovely ladies in the HG group!

I thought I had morning sickness for my first two pregnancies, suffering on Maxalon, and losing stacks of weight, etc etc. It wasn't until I realised that ZOFRAN IS THE ONLY THING THAT WORKS for HG, and that even then hospital visits for rehydration/meds are common, that I stopped taking any notice of the 'ginger' brigade.

Common MS 'remedies' like rest, ginger etc etc are for those who suffer slight nausea during early pregnancy, not for people who are medicated to the hilt and still suffering.

Good luck!

#10 Koobie83

Posted 07 December 2012 - 01:28 PM

Lollies helped me too - my favourite was Mentos. Lemonade also worked really well for my tummy because it's sweet and bubbly. Nap when you feel tired - I know this is hard especially if you are busy or at work. Make sure you make up naps on the weekend. Keep your fluids up and drink water. If you can't drink straight water try sparkling mineral water. I was drinking so much of it I actually overhydrated myself and became really light headed and dizzy.

I couldn't stomach healthy food - the only thing I could get myself to eat was toasted Vegemite and Cheese sandwiches for dinner (I always felt worse at night). Breakfast was no worries at all - lunch was iffy and dinner wasn't even going to happen! My husband had to cook for us because I couldn't stomach anything. Mine lasted maybe 2-3 weeks which I'm grateful for.

I went out to dinner with my family and I thought this would be a good chance to get some good food in me for once at dinner and we didn't have to cook... big mistake. I must have eaten too much and got stomach cramps and vomiting as soon as I got home...

It's horrible I know but hopefully yours won't hang around too long..!

#11 longluncher

Posted 07 December 2012 - 01:34 PM

Hi there, so sorry to hear your suffering with MS.

I also had this and found that Stemetil (suppositories.. ick, but they worked) worked alot better than Maxalon.

In terms of food/ fluids.. on a good day I could only stomach a Salada, most days I stuck to Hydralyte orange flavoured icy poles (available from the chemist), which I could stomach alot better than water.

Hope your feeling alot better soon, hang in there.

#12 Poughkeepsie

Posted 07 December 2012 - 01:39 PM

Cranberry juice helped a bit for me, as it is a little bit tart but not as sweet as soft drinks, which always made me vomit more.
I lived on potatoes....steamed, roasted, fried..any which way they came, as for about 3 months, that was all I could keep down!  
Maxalon never did anything for me except make me feel drowsy, so I skipped it during the day and took it at night instead.  My vomiting was all day and night, so at least it gave me some break overnight.  
Rehydration with IV fluids was about the only thing that made me feel "normal" for a while, and perked up my energy levels enough to be able to look after my other children.  Maybe you need to get your Dr to check you out and make sure you aren't dehydrated?
Good luck, and congratulations original.gif

#13 Liv_FERAL_sh

Posted 07 December 2012 - 01:42 PM

eating crackers helped....never letting my tummy get empty, ryvita saved my life!

and cranberry juice, it really helps with the gag.

Edited by Livsh, 07 December 2012 - 01:43 PM.

#14 Serenity Now

Posted 07 December 2012 - 01:44 PM

Sorry to hear you are feeling so unwell OP sad.gif

I didn't find anything completely 'cured' my nausea, but occasionally got some relief with:
- sour lollies (natural confectionary company 'squirms'
- green apples cut wafer thin
- 'up and go' first thing in the morning (the dry cracker thing never worked for me, but I found I could sip an up and go)
- sipping watered down juice (plain water made me ill and straight juice tasted too strong)
- acupressure anti-nausea wristbands (sold at the chemist for less than $10, often marketed for sea-sickness)

Good luck, I hope you feel better soon original.gif

#15 Chestnut

Posted 07 December 2012 - 01:44 PM

I used to eat xxxx mints, minties and mint mentos for me that was the only way i could stop the  morning sickness/nausea.. They use to be stashed all around the house, the car and my desk at work..

#16 Tenacious C

Posted 07 December 2012 - 04:26 PM

If you have been prescribed zofran I am guessing you have HG.

Zofran on its own no longer works for me and I take a combination of Restavit and vitamin B6 at night and zofran in the morning and whenever else it is needed. Restavit and vitamin B6 can be purchased over the counter but I think it is cheaper if you have a script.

Here is a link to the RWH treatment guidelines for HG to take to your GP of this is what you have. There are other options other than maxalon and zofran original.gif

http://www.thewomens.org.au/NauseaandVomitingPregnancy

#17 Alysha139

Posted 08 December 2012 - 01:33 PM

Thank you all for your advice.
I am booked in to see my doctor in a couple of days to see if i have HG. Then we will go from there.
I hope very soon i start feeling better as i am starting to feel very lazy and useless around the house. I had to give up working since i starting feeling sick. I am very greatful to have an amazing partner whom goes to work and doesnt care if i lay in bed all day :-)

#18 Lazycow

Posted 08 December 2012 - 01:43 PM

Probably not the best thing, But I found frozen coke from maccas worked a treat for me ph34r.gif

#19 Kimberley Mum

Posted 08 December 2012 - 01:46 PM

Alkaline foods help

- suck on lime or squeeze some juice in water. Expensive if you don't have a lime tree but gives relief
- umbooshi plums (semi-dried from Japan) have the highest alkaline level.
- I 2nd the motion sickness travel wrist bands. They don't take it away but they help.

#20 Alysha139

Posted 08 December 2012 - 01:53 PM

I have also tried frozen coke but found sugarfree red creaming soda worked alot better, however i try to only have one can a day

#21 Ally'smum

Posted 08 December 2012 - 02:02 PM

If you are bed bound and not working I would put up with the cost and just take Zofran.

Cut something else out so it doesn't seem so expensive, I am sure you will be spending a lot less on other things if you are so unwell and looking after yourself is the most important thing at the moment.

I had HG for 20 weeks and zofran was the only thing that kept me going. Good luck, it will eventually get better.

#22 Twinkletoot

Posted 08 December 2012 - 02:11 PM

http://www.racgp.org.au/afp/200709/200709sheenan.pdf

Sounds to me like you have hg also - i feel for you as I also had hg with dd1 and ds1 however bubs #3 is thankfully a bit better - tho that is probably due to the fact that I was on low dose prednisolone for recurrent miscarriage so I was barely naueseous until I came off that a week ago at 11 weeks. See link above for some great treatments.

With dd1 I took restavit - tis over the counter category A drug, tho some chemists hate to sell it to you if they know you are pregnant.  I found half a tablet at night kept the vomiting away for the next day til the early evening.  My ob recommended it and mothersafe do to.  http://www.seslhd.health.nsw.gov.au/mother...09Final2010.pdf   Tis cheap also -

with ds1 I was rotating zofran and maxalon every 4 hours and still felt like death warmed up - but the weight loss stopped.  This time the prednisolone was awesome and I am sad to be off it as it 1- worked and 2- is cheap - however my nausea is much less than it was with the others, and has always disappeared entirely by week 17 - So as long as I don't start losing weight I will see how I can go.  however you might find prednisolone perfect as it is effective for many people and affordable - it is also very commonly used by IVF clinics or those with recurrent miscarriage and those drs are not concerned about any side effects on the low doses required - I also phoned Mothersafe for their thoughts and they said at my dose of 10mg /day I would need at least 10x to 100x that to be worried about effects on the baby.  However I still dropped down to  5mg asap Just to be sure.

On that note with ds1 I hated the thought of taking something so strong and so went several weeks without taking it and lost over 5% of my body weight - when I saw my ob who used to head up the maternity dept of a large public hospital in Sydney he let me know in no uncertain terms that the ketones being released into my system from the weight loss was doing my baby more harm than the zofran ever would - his advice - take the damn drugs!!!   My daughter is now a very healthy 3 yr old and my son a vey healthy 20mth old.  Good luck. N

#23 ~*bella*~

Posted 08 December 2012 - 02:12 PM

Sorry to hear ur so unwell. I suffered really bad was on maxalon 4 times a day and still being sick
I was taken to hospital on a drip many times from it but the only other thing that slightly helped was sea bands (from a chemist) and some light reflexology on my feet

Hope u find something and can enjoy your Christmas

#24 ReadySetRace

Posted 08 December 2012 - 02:32 PM

I have had bad HG. These things helped:
Zofran
Acupuncture
Sea bands
Restavit every night after dinner (makes you drowsy)

I did all of that plus ate something every hour, kept fluids up.
I vomited most days but stayed out of hospital.  For me it lasts 40 weeks but better after 20.  Visit the HG support group thread.

Crackers, ginger, Maxalon, stemetil, soft drink did nothing.

#25 whisk_

Posted 08 December 2012 - 02:45 PM

I'm afraid not a lot helped me at all, except sucking on oranges each time I felt nausea coming on.  I was put on Stemetil which only served to stop me vomiting but didn't help ease the accompanying nausea.  Given that being sick actually eased my nausea at times, it wasn't all that helpful for me.  

I'm now coming up to 17 weeks and still physically sick every day.  The only thing that stops me being sick each day is a half a tab of Restavit the night before (on Dr's instructions).  I only take that pre-emptively, for days when I really need to feel well (like Christmas, for example!).  Otherwise I've just learned to deal with it.  To be fair, at 10 weeks there was no working around it, I just felt awful all the time and didn't do anything but sleep, but by 13 or 14 weeks I managed to get to the point where I was still vomiting every morning, but could function in the day, so long as I ate regularly.  I'm still at that stage now. I just need to have a handbag full of snacks, which for me is mainly fruit.  

Good luck!

Edited by whisk_, 08 December 2012 - 02:46 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Win Coles Little Explorer nappies for your toddler

Introducing the new Coles Little Explorer Nappies! You can confidently rely on Coles Little Explorer nappies at each stage of your child's growth, so take the Big Nappy Change and try new Coles Little Explorer nappies for yourself!

Robbie Williams live tweets wife's labour

And the award for most patient woman in labour goes to ... Robbie Williams' wife, Ayda Field.

Vaccine ignorance is deadly and contagious

In the absence of credible, strong political leadership, paranoia about disease can go viral.

Parenting differently based on birth order

All children have unique personalities, but keeping birth order in mind could help when parenting.

How to get rid of the mum guilt

Motherhood and guilt seem to go hand in hand, but there are ways to focus

Paid parental leave scheme grinds to a halt

The future of Prime Minister Tony Abbott's paid parental leave scheme appears to be up in the air, despite the fact it is due to begin in less than nine months.

The devastation of foetal alcohol spectrum disorders

No one's sure how many Australians are affected by foetal alcohol spectrum disorders, but the consequences for those who are can be devastating.

The pros and cons of finding out the sex of your unborn baby

It’s often one of the biggest choices parents make during the course of their pregnancy; to find out, or not to find out, the sex of their baby before it’s born.

Toddler's awesome dress up month

Two-year-old Willow and her photographer mum, Gina Lee, made October "Dress Up Willow Month". She posted photos of Willow's costumes on her Instagram account, and her creative takes on popular culture are simply adorable.

Childhood around the world

It can be easy to assume our ideas around childhood are universal, but they are particular to where we live, as these practices show.

Best picks for baby and toddler shoes

Here's a great selection of footwear from pre-walker to walker ensuring comfort and style for growing feet.

I lost my wife and daughters to Ebola - then it came for my son

Sunday, September 21, is a day I will never forget.

The 'yucky' illness that took over my life

I have a chronic illness nobody likes to discuss. It involves toilet talk, and probably caused my miscarriage. But it needs to be talked about.

Prenatal testing: the facts

Prenatal testing is done to check if a baby has certain medical conditions before birth. Here is some important information about what the tests are for and the risks involved.

5 things to do with your baby?s old clothes

Did you think your only option for your baby?s old clothes was to pack them away or give them to the Salvos? Think again.

Why it's possible to not realise you're pregnant until the baby arrives

After hearing about 'surprise babies' born to mums who didn't know they were pregnant, it's common to ask "how did she not realise?" But experts say it's entirely possible for it to happen.

'My miracle is finally here'

How has the world continued on its pace when mine has been altered so drastically?

Dairy can help older women fall pregnant: study

Ice cream may be the ultimate comfort food, but a study suggests it could also help older women to have children.

Megan Gale goes topless for 'sexiest people' cover

Six months after a heavily pregnant Megan Gale posed nude for Marie Claire, the glowing new mum has gone topless for the cover of another magazine.

A new perspective on life from living with two diseases

A mother shares her personal story about the difficulty of living with two conditions, one of which stops her from being able to see her daughter's face.

Warning about Children's Panadol dosage

The Therapeutic Goods Administration has issued a safety advisory warning parents about confusion when using the dosing syringe supplied with Children's Panadol.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Take 'The Coles Big Nappy Change' Challenge

You could become part of our Test Drive team and win one of 200 packs of Coles Little Explorer Nappies as part of our 5-day challenge.

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Join us in The BIG nappy change

Introducing the new Coles Little Explorer Nappies! You can confidently rely on Coles Little Explorer nappies at each stage of your child's growth, so take the Big Nappy Change and try new Coles Little Explorer nappies for yourself!

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

Weird trend

'Why we called our daughter Wyatt'

Ashton Kutcher has spoken about how he and Mila Kunis chose their daughter's name - and why they've set up her social media accounts.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.