Facebook photos showing unsafe cots/bassinets

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#1 Sail to the Moon

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:55 PM

I came across some photos on an acquaintance's facebook page of their very young baby, sleeping in a cot and bassinet that is setup against what the recommendations are for safe sleeping. The baby is sleeping on a sheepskin rug in a bassinet and the cot has a plush play mat on the mattress and soft toys near the baby.

I'm not friends with this person, so I can't exactly let them know, but it does worry me  sad.gif . If I knew this person I would definitely try to approach them about it to find if they know what the recommendations are for cots and bassinets, but because I don't have anything to do with this person, that isn't an option.

So if you saw facebook photos of unsafe cots and bassinets, would you talk to the parent about it? Or would you keep your opinions to yourself?

#2 Rainbow Brite

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:56 PM

It really is none of your business sad.gif

Like you said you don't know them.

#3 Unatheowl

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:57 PM

Keep my opinions to myself.  You have absolutely no idea what the circumstances of the photo were.

#4 Feral_Pooks

Posted 06 December 2012 - 10:02 PM

Sometimes people pose babies on these sorts of things for the look of it, rather than actually sleeping them in that environment. I took some photos of DS sleeping with some plush toys that people gave as presents, as a thank you. I would never have let him sleep with them normally and moved them as soon as the photo was taken. Do you think that is possible in this case? Sheesh, I posted some on FB too. I also had photos of him sleeping in his carseat and swing and got a few comments from people about that which really rubbed me the wrong way because he had reflux and just didn't otherwise sleep for a while there.

#5 LenaK

Posted 06 December 2012 - 10:03 PM

QUOTE (Unatheowl @ 06/12/2012, 10:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Keep my opinions to myself.  You have absolutely no idea what the circumstances of the photo were.

This

#6 Dylan's Mummy

Posted 06 December 2012 - 10:17 PM

Is the person on your friend list or your friend's friend (you know how anything our friends "like" come up)? If it's a friend of a friend you could let your friend know that it isn't safe. If it's someone on your friend list you could just send them a message and perhaps include a link to the SIDS website with the correct guidelines.

#7 Unatheowl

Posted 06 December 2012 - 10:17 PM

QUOTE (Madame Catty @ 06/12/2012, 11:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Why "this"?

I'm sure the OP wasn't going to send the woman an abusive message accusing her of child abuse.  I would want to know if I was doing something that could endanger my child's life.  I know someone who did sleep their baby on a sheep skin and only stopped when the MCHN said it was dangerous.  Not everyone knows the guidelines.

Was this post really necessary?  You're entitled to your opinion as are others here. Are you gĂ´ing to take issue with everyone who doesn't agree with you?

#8 steffijade81

Posted 06 December 2012 - 10:29 PM

I agree its none of your business really. You don't know the reasons behind the way people choose to sleep their babies a certain way and I think you would offend anyone by saying so. I know of babies that have only been able to sleep in prams, rockers, swings, carseats even one on a baby beanbag and never in a bassinet cot. I know the guidelines are there for safe sleeping but they are just that guidelines. It is up to the parent how to raise their child. I understand your worry but think it's one of those things you just keep to yourself. Obviously different if you see a child is being abused or mistreated but this is hardly the case.

#9 epl0822

Posted 06 December 2012 - 10:31 PM

My friend had a cot set up with soft toys and bumper and duvet for her newborn. I recently attended a parenting course which included SIDS info so I simply shared this with her. She said she thought it was fine and wanted to leave the cot the way it was so I repected that. Her DS is a toddler and completely fine, obviously did not have SIDS or any other health problems.

Your Facebook friends didn't display a picture of themselves dangling their newborn on the 12th floor balcony. It is a bassinet! Their set up may have a higher likelihood of SIDS but it doesn't exactly pose a huge danger. If you were close enough to say something, you could possibly tell them in a very polite and friendly way. But if you are simply Facebook buddies, it does not justify you interfering. One of my friends had a photo of her baby sucking a dummy and somebody posted a long comment about the dangers of dummies. Honestly, that person came off sounding like a judgmental busybody.

#10 Starletta

Posted 06 December 2012 - 10:32 PM

MC you have the cranks tonight!

FWIW OP I would say something to the mutual friend first, to see if they felt up to mentioning it. Otherwise I'd end up doing it. But I'm so freakin paranoid about SIDS that most other mothers think I'm nuts anyway.

#11 Kitty Fantastico

Posted 06 December 2012 - 10:37 PM

Are you sure the baby was asleep? I put photos up when DS was a tiny baby, in his cot with stuffed toys, but I didn't actually sleep him in there. It was more to show how tiny he was in his big cot.

A few days ago I saw photos of a toddler sitting on his father's lap in the car, holding onto the wheel, neither of them wearing seatbelts. I think the car was stationary, at least I assume it was. A photo doesn't necessariliy show the whole story. I'd stay out of it personally, but if you're really worried, you could mention it to your common friend and see if they think there's reason to be worried.

#12 Guest_Sunnycat_*

Posted 06 December 2012 - 10:39 PM

I don't think there is anything wrong with gently saying something. I'm actually surprised how many of my friends aren't aware of SIDS risks and other modern day no-nos.

#13 Born Slippy

Posted 06 December 2012 - 10:49 PM

QUOTE (Sunnycat @ 06/12/2012, 11:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't think there is anything wrong with gently saying something. I'm actually surprised how many of my friends aren't aware of SIDS risks and other modern day no-nos.

This. And it really surprises me how this happens, given how much information I received via antenatal classes (and the associated pamphlets and booklets), in my postnatal stay (and the associated pamphlets and booklets), in our home visits from the MCHN who checked DD's sleeping arrangements for SIDS safety and our later MCHN appointments (and the associated pamphlets and booklets, again). SIDS information was also available in any parenting book I read.

Perhaps my experience isn't typical though?

#14 FeralLIfeHacker

Posted 06 December 2012 - 10:59 PM

QUOTE (Sunnycat @ 06/12/2012, 11:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This. I think as long as it comes from a good place ie - just trying to get awareness out there rather than "I am so much better than you at parenting" then I don't think there is anything wrong with pointing it out.
I guess if you did though you would be opening yourself up to someone thinking you were being a bit nosey but if it educated someone else reading then that's a good thing.

#15 FeralPerthFembo

Posted 06 December 2012 - 11:04 PM

I have been in this situation a few times and no I don't say anything. It's not my business what risks they are comfortable taking with their own child.

SIDS awareness is constantly pushed on parents these days. You are giving pamphlets all through pregnancy, its at the antenatal classes, the midwives go over it with you several times. I dont believe any of the people on my fb list are not aware of the recommendations.

If they choose not to follow it, I don't think a message from a friend telling them they are doing the "wrong" thing is going to change their mind.

#16 erindiv

Posted 06 December 2012 - 11:08 PM

It really is none of your business and as PP have said, it might have been a 'posed' photo. I have seen people jokingly post pictures of babies holding coke cans and the like, doesn't mean they were having a swig..

#17 feralangel

Posted 06 December 2012 - 11:22 PM

QUOTE (Starletta @ 06/12/2012, 11:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
But I'm so freakin paranoid about SIDS that most other mothers think I'm nuts anyway.

Nothing wrong with being freakin paranoid about SIDS.  My sister died of SIDS - she was exactly 3 months old.

OP, if you are that concerned, send the person a PM and preface it with, "I know it's none of my business.  . . " "I don't wish to be offensive . . " "please don't take this the wrong way..." or something similar.

#18 Feral_Pooks

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:19 AM

Would you comment on a photo of co-sleeping? That's against SIDS guidelines too.

#19 ubermum

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:41 AM

Team Madam Catty.

I would have to gently say something. If I didn't and something went wrong, I couldn't forgive myself.

#20 la di dah

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:44 AM

If there was a die-cast toy truck or wood blocks or giant flower hat Anne Geddes-style in the crib I'd assume that was posed and not worry about it.

A sheepskin, well, I don't know what they're for, actually* but I'd think it wasn't outside the realm of possibility the baby really does sleep on it sometimes. So I might send an apologetic PM that I just saw a thing on that...

But I wouldn't post anything on the picture itself, I can't imagine anyone would appreciate that.

*Not a thing where I'm from, but crib bumpers are and they're just as bad.

#21 Carmen02

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:48 AM

to be honest i wouldnt say anything, its none of my business and would just assume it was a posing picture anyway! SIDS recommdations where shoved in front of my face for all 3 of my childrens birth its not hard to pay attention to it.

#22 WithSprinkles

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:49 AM

To be honest, I think most parents are aware of the SIDS guidelines. Those who don't follow them generally choose to do so (and thus will most likely get annoyed by any perceived preaching). Also agree with PPs suggestion that maybe the photo has just been "set up".

If it is really playing on your mind, you would have to tread very delicately...maybe you could comment something along the lines of:

How cute!! He looks so content. My DD/nephew/child/whatever has a teddy just like that..but I'm way too paranoid about SIDS to let her sleep with it.

After all if it is someone you don't really know, you never have to see them again if they get offended.

#23 MrsLexiK

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:00 AM

I wouldn't say anything as I would think it was just done for photos.

#24 PrincessPeach

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:02 AM

BIL & SIL when they set up the cost for their firstborn had a heap of teddies & plus blankets in there.

They were using the cot as storage space really, becasue he slept in the bassinet & i know for a fact once he did go into the cot the teddies & quilts found new homes.

#25 Walkers

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:12 AM

QUOTE (VanillaIcecream @ 07/12/2012, 09:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
To be honest, I think most parents are aware of the SIDS guidelines. Those who don't follow them generally choose to do so (and thus will most likely get annoyed by any perceived preaching). Also agree with PPs suggestion that maybe the photo has just been "set up".

I find it hard to believe parents would be clueless about SIDS guidelines.
Isn't it routine now for the baby's sleep area to be checked during one of the early home visits by Maternal & Child Health?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Win Coles Little Explorer nappies for your toddler

Introducing the new Coles Little Explorer Nappies! You can confidently rely on Coles Little Explorer nappies at each stage of your child's growth, so take the Big Nappy Change and try new Coles Little Explorer nappies for yourself!

Robbie Williams live tweets wife's labour

And the award for most patient woman in labour goes to ... Robbie Williams' wife, Ayda Field.

Vaccine ignorance is deadly and contagious

In the absence of credible, strong political leadership, paranoia about disease can go viral.

Parenting differently based on birth order

All children have unique personalities, but keeping birth order in mind could help when parenting.

How to get rid of the mum guilt

Motherhood and guilt seem to go hand in hand, but there are ways to focus

Paid parental leave scheme grinds to a halt

The future of Prime Minister Tony Abbott's paid parental leave scheme appears to be up in the air, despite the fact it is due to begin in less than nine months.

The devastation of foetal alcohol spectrum disorders

No one's sure how many Australians are affected by foetal alcohol spectrum disorders, but the consequences for those who are can be devastating.

The pros and cons of finding out the sex of your unborn baby

It’s often one of the biggest choices parents make during the course of their pregnancy; to find out, or not to find out, the sex of their baby before it’s born.

Toddler's awesome dress up month

Two-year-old Willow and her photographer mum, Gina Lee, made October "Dress Up Willow Month". She posted photos of Willow's costumes on her Instagram account, and her creative takes on popular culture are simply adorable.

Childhood around the world

It can be easy to assume our ideas around childhood are universal, but they are particular to where we live, as these practices show.

Best picks for baby and toddler shoes

Here's a great selection of footwear from pre-walker to walker ensuring comfort and style for growing feet.

I lost my wife and daughters to Ebola - then it came for my son

Sunday, September 21, is a day I will never forget.

The 'yucky' illness that took over my life

I have a chronic illness nobody likes to discuss. It involves toilet talk, and probably caused my miscarriage. But it needs to be talked about.

Prenatal testing: the facts

Prenatal testing is done to check if a baby has certain medical conditions before birth. Here is some important information about what the tests are for and the risks involved.

5 things to do with your baby?s old clothes

Did you think your only option for your baby?s old clothes was to pack them away or give them to the Salvos? Think again.

Why it's possible to not realise you're pregnant until the baby arrives

After hearing about 'surprise babies' born to mums who didn't know they were pregnant, it's common to ask "how did she not realise?" But experts say it's entirely possible for it to happen.

'My miracle is finally here'

How has the world continued on its pace when mine has been altered so drastically?

Dairy can help older women fall pregnant: study

Ice cream may be the ultimate comfort food, but a study suggests it could also help older women to have children.

Megan Gale goes topless for 'sexiest people' cover

Six months after a heavily pregnant Megan Gale posed nude for Marie Claire, the glowing new mum has gone topless for the cover of another magazine.

A new perspective on life from living with two diseases

A mother shares her personal story about the difficulty of living with two conditions, one of which stops her from being able to see her daughter's face.

Warning about Children's Panadol dosage

The Therapeutic Goods Administration has issued a safety advisory warning parents about confusion when using the dosing syringe supplied with Children's Panadol.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Take 'The Coles Big Nappy Change' Challenge

You could become part of our Test Drive team and win one of 200 packs of Coles Little Explorer Nappies as part of our 5-day challenge.

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Join us in The BIG nappy change

Introducing the new Coles Little Explorer Nappies! You can confidently rely on Coles Little Explorer nappies at each stage of your child's growth, so take the Big Nappy Change and try new Coles Little Explorer nappies for yourself!

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

Weird trend

'Why we called our daughter Wyatt'

Ashton Kutcher has spoken about how he and Mila Kunis chose their daughter's name - and why they've set up her social media accounts.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.