Bringing on labour
Does anything actually work that people suggest or just coincidence?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 curious89

Posted 06 December 2012 - 10:09 AM

Hi I've heard of so many things to bring on labour, or to get things started but do any of it actually work?

I've heard

• eating pineapples
  • raspberry leaf tea ( started drinking this but tend to forget sometimes)
  • sex
  • long walks
  • spicy foods
  • different oils in baths

etc etc, Has anyone tried these and had success? or what other things have you tried and thought worked or helped?

#2 glowlight

Posted 06 December 2012 - 10:15 AM

I did all of the above minus the oils. Bloody show started after sex then again BD next day things progressed and I woke up with contractions. I drank tea and took RL tablets religiously from 36 weeks but I doubt it did anything.

#3 Natbub0610

Posted 06 December 2012 - 10:22 AM

I'm positive the sex thing worked with DD1, she was born 3 weeks early.

DD2 came 1 week late, because I was feeling unwell all the time (indigestion because bubs all sat high in my belly), there was no room for sex

DD3, had 2 fresh pineapples from 2pm Monday (slightly under-ripe or on cusp or ripeness) and had sex 3 times, contractions from 6.30 Tuesday morning.

Islander women have been know to avoid pineapples in 1st trimester, they contain an enzyme that causes the uterus to contract.

Our MW had 5 of her clients birthing that Tuesday morning.
3 by lunchtime and the other 2 soon after.

You can believe or not, coincidence or not, but I think MW see enough labours everyday to know what might work and what doesn't. I'm not saying it's gospel but it worked for me.

#4 Natttmumm

Posted 06 December 2012 - 11:31 AM

A midwife with 25 yrs experience told me the o ther day that the 2 best things are eggplants to eat and get a double breast. Pump and start pumping 3 times a day .
In only 30 weeks so im not up to that stage yet but will be doing this if I go over

#5 Studybug

Posted 06 December 2012 - 11:43 AM

I've heard sex and nipple stimulation are the ones to get it started.  Something about the release of oxytocin when these things occur.  Unless of course you're not into sex and nipple tweaking then I guess they won't do much for oxytocin release and therefore staring labour... lol

#6 raone

Posted 06 December 2012 - 11:45 AM

Bubs was head down and pretty well ready to go for a couple of weeks before. I could feel him there so I would do this thing where I sat on the edge of the couch and sort of rock my pelvis. This I could feel was making him push down more. I also kept active and took extra trips up our stairs at home when I didn't have too. I could also feel him pushing down more with these things. I didn't end up going into natural labour as I ended up with pre eclampsia and was induced. But I am sure this is why I was already 2cm when they started induction biggrin.gif

#7 chookpea

Posted 06 December 2012 - 11:48 AM

I had a foot massage and DS2 was born the next day at 41 weeks.  Highly recommended, even if it doesn't work it was heaven!  biggrin.gif

#8 elle-M

Posted 07 December 2012 - 03:00 PM

Nipple stimulation. I sat on the couch and used my breast pump when I was 39 weeks with DD, and I had strong braxton hicks straight away that lasted all afternoon. I did this for a few days and I'm sure that's why I was already 4cm when I got induced (by ARM).

Once my waters were broken my OB (with 30 years experience) made me do what the midwife called nipple rolling - not just randomly but doing it consistently for 5 full minutes, then 5 mins off, 5 on, 5 off... etc. FUll blown contractions started one hour later and DD was born in an hour and 20 mins  biggrin.gif

It's documented science that nipple stimulation causes the uterus to contract (like it does when you're breastfeeding to help the uterus get back to its original size), but you may just be lucky if it starts full blown labour.

I think lots of things will "work" if your body is ready anyway. Can't hurt to try!!

#9 Honey Pot

Posted 08 December 2012 - 12:28 AM

Well in the last week and a half I've tried:
- Stretch and sweep (twice)
- sex (most days)
- walking at least 5km each day
- mowing the lawn
- acupuncture
- acupressure
- reflexology
- bounce / rocking on a fitball (approximately 1 hour per day)
- nipple stimulation
- hot curries
- fenugreek capsules
- pineapple

I've had a soft and ripe cervix and been 2cm dilated for at least 2 weeks and bubs is 3/5 engaged. For 3 weeks my midwives and obs have been telling me I'm bound to have a baby any day now. I'm still waiting...

#10 pinkcupcakes

Posted 08 December 2012 - 12:46 AM

with both of mine we did the sex+long walk thing...certainly seemed to help things along! happy.gif for me personally i think the rl tea did help, i noticed a difference because of not having drank it with first pg. also took evening primrose oil in the last tri ( think it was 36 weeks)as well as erm.. applied it to nether regions... i think it helped internally but as for the external application.. well i still ended up with 4th degree tearing so not sure what effect it had overall.also did the pineapple thing ind 2nd prg n i think it had an effect.
like a pp said, i also think if your body is ready things will happen, but what's wrong with giving it a helping hand! wink.gif all the best!

#11 Baytowne

Posted 08 December 2012 - 12:51 AM

My midwife nurse stripped the membrane and I started labor the next day.

#12 mini mac

Posted 08 December 2012 - 12:58 AM

I believe all of these theories are bollocks I'm sorry to say... I have friends that have religiously done most or all of those things and gone over. And people that have done none and baby has come early.

For me personally:
DS1 was a week early after curry, walking the dog, gardening and sex.
DS2 was four weeks early for no apparent reason. Apart from chasing a 17 month old toddler around. original.gif

I say enjoy this time while you can (feeling whalelike and all) because your life is about to change forever, whether its first baby or sixth... Baby will arrive when ready and baked!

Good luck and take care.

#13 Nut

Posted 08 December 2012 - 09:55 AM

Nothing will work unless your body is already getting ready. You can maybe speed things up a little and help things along, but if having sex was going to bring on labour you'd not be allowed to do it while pregnant.

I read a study that said if you're going to use sex to bring on labour you'd need to do it something like 30 times in one day and your partner would have to ejaculate each time.

Pineapple is a myth.

Nipple stimulation is said to help (again when things are already ready) but you have to do it regularly (like every 20 minutes).

Long walks are great for helping the body prepare. Spicy food, no.

Castor oil is still recommended in Europe. I used it with both of my babies (not enough to give me severe cramps but enough to clean out my bowel a bit). Both times I used it once with no result but the second time (a few days later) I used it I went into labour within a few hours. Both of my babies were born on their due date and I was obviously ready for that kickstart to work. May have been coincidence of course as you just can't really know.

So it is my belief that there is nothing you can do to bring on labour, only things that can help it start and maybe make it more efficient.

#14 emelsy

Posted 08 December 2012 - 12:59 PM

I 'felt' ready for what felt like ages (maybe just the way everyone feels at the end!' But I had this super weird feeling baby didn't know where to go. I bullied DP into luvvin and my waters broke straight away. DS was born on his due date!

#15 nen-c

Posted 08 December 2012 - 01:11 PM

I suspect they come when the are ready; I tried S&s, sex, curries, long walks on uneven deep sand, bouncing on the trampoline, nipple stimulation, acupuncture/moxibustion. This was after 4 weeks of painful braxton hicks and prelabour and thinking she would come any day (I got to 40+10 before induction)!!! It totally did my head in, esp as I went into labour with my 1st on my due date The only thing that worked was cervical gel at the hospital - only took 90 minutes after that!!!! If I had my time again I would have just relaxed and not fretted about it so much!!!

#16 ms flib

Posted 08 December 2012 - 01:19 PM

It's funny that we all try so hard TTC but want to evict the baby ASAP as soon as we reach 40 weeks if not earlier.....

#17 dreamingofcats

Posted 08 December 2012 - 07:46 PM

I started taking raspberry leaf tablets on Thurs morning and my plug has started comming away since Thurs afternoon. No idea if its a coincidence and labour hasnt actually started but ill take it anyways original.gif

#18 ~faerydust~

Posted 08 December 2012 - 07:58 PM

Raspberry leaf doesn't induce labour, the theory is that it "tones" your uterus to make contractions more effective.
I agree with what a PP said, nothing will work unless your body is already ready.

#19 zrello

Posted 09 December 2012 - 09:49 AM

I didn't eat anything differently, but rocked on the fitball for ages on the days she came, & had sex a few times in the days before & walking when I could be bothered.
I personally believe she came two weeks early to spite my DH, who I'd been telling to get batteries for the camera for weeks before, & I gave him one last reminder (before I hauled my pregnant self out to get them). Of course he forgot, & I told him ( jokingly) that she'll come now & you won't be ready, sure enough, my waters broke a few hours later.

#20 living_bravely

Posted 09 December 2012 - 11:10 AM

I think someone has already said this, but I don't think anything works unless bub is ready to come.  For me, Acupuncture worked.  I took Raspberry leaf tea in my third tri, but i was told it doesn't enduce labor but tones the uterus ready for labor.   wink.gif Good luck!

#21 R2B2

Posted 09 December 2012 - 11:13 AM

No! and if I ever have to smell clary sage oil ever again it will send me over the edge Tounge1.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

A mum's tragic battle against inflammatory breast cancer

At just 37 years of age, with two young sons, Vicki was diagnosed with inflammatory breast cancer. Now her family wants all women to know the symptoms.

The business of babies around the world

Pregnancy and birth is an intriguing process no matter where you are in the world. One soon-to-be father gleans wisdom from a new guide.

Finding a positive path through IVF

It’s not surprising that IVF is often seen as a negative journey towards the ultimate positive, but having a glass-half-full approach can make a big difference to the experience.

Giving strangers the gift of parenthood

A mum explains why she and her husband are choosing to gift their leftover embryos to help strangers achieve their dream of parenthood.

Does morning sickness get better or worse with each child?

Just as every baby is unique, so is every pregnancy. And that means morning sickness can vary a lot, too.

What's so wrong with looking 'mumsy', anyway?

Why is it that the word ‘mumsy’ has connotations of such a negative nature – but seems to be the only other option apart from ‘yummy’?

Trying to speed up the inevitable

As the waiting game of late pregnancy continues, this mum considers a few things that might hurry things up a little.

One month later: where is William Tyrell?

It has been a little over a month since William Tyrell disappeared from his grandmother's home, 33 long sleepless nights for his family as they mourn the absence of their cheeky young boy.

Winter's child less likely to be moody: study

Babies born in the summer are much more likely to suffer from mood swings when they grow up, while those born in the winter are less likely to become irritable adults, scientists claim.

Single mum of two creates award-winning baby app

Suddenly single with a baby and an 11-year-old son, Tara O?Connell developed an app to improve the lives of mothers who were similarly overwhelmed.

Food for thought: looking after yourself as a new mum

As soon as your baby enters the world, everything else takes a back seat - even the necessities of daily life such as eating are severely compromised, right when you need energy the most.

'Grabbable guts' campaign aims to cut toxic fat

The Live Lighter campaign will take people inside the human body to show the internal dangers of being overweight.

The best and worst month of my life

A new mum's first month of motherhood didn't pan out as expected when she lost a family member weeks after her baby's birth.

Facebook and Apple offer to pay female staff to freeze their eggs

Facebook and Apple are hoping to provide women with the freedom to build their careers without the added pressure of having children at or by a certain age.

How a pregnancy contract could work for you and your partner

The idea of making a 'pregnancy contract' with your partner may sound a bit silly at first, but it can help make the transition to parenthood a lot smoother.

Finding a mum-friendly personal trainer

Burping babies vs burpees – yes, new mums and personal trainers live in different worlds. But they can work together - once you find the right match for you and your lifestyle.

Alleged baby snatch incident a ?misunderstanding?, say police

Police say that an incident in which a man pulled on a woman?s pram while walking a popular Sydney route late last month was a misunderstanding.

Ebola killed my aunt and is shutting down my country

Three weeks ago, my auntie, a midwife, developed a fever. Sitting here in Sydney basked in Australian sunshine, that shouldn't be big news.

The night my ovary burst

One mum shares her frightening experience and vows to never take her health for granted again.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

Student shocked by surprise baby

Kate Hudson, 22, was on a dream European holiday with friends. She didn't realise she was about to become a mum.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.