your best side dish or salad recipe
need ideas to serve with bbq for xmas

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 antsy

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:22 AM

I am hosting xmas lunch this year. We are having a BBQ but I need ideas for what to cook to accompany the meat. So far I have decided on greek salad, roast potatoes, corn. I want to make one more dish that is pasta, rice or veggie based eg a pasta bake, a slice etc.

So what is your best side dish or salad recipe? Any help appreciated!

#2 matt1972

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:28 AM

This is my favourite pasta salad recipe and it goes perfectly with a bbq
http://www.bigoven.com/recipe/167993/spicy...ern-pasta-salad

Edited by matt1972, 06 December 2012 - 09:28 AM.

#3 Jess1308

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:35 AM

Roast some pumpkin slices with sage and when its finished sprinkle some fetta over it, yum!

#4 PrincessPeach

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:43 AM

I make a waldorf salad which seems to dissapear.

Also a pumpkin, spinach & feta salad is very nice. Dressed with a balsamic vinegarette & toasted pine-nuts - it's devine.

#5 *JAC*

Posted 06 December 2012 - 11:28 AM

Roast vegetable couscous salad is a favourite.

#6 amesv

Posted 06 December 2012 - 11:31 AM

Im trying the popular watermelon & feta salad this year for Christmas.

#7 opethmum

Posted 06 December 2012 - 11:44 AM

Pasta Pesto Salad
1xMini Spiral Pasta 500g
1x Barilla Pesto Sauce
Baby Spinach 400g
1x Punnet Cherry Tomatoes
Pine Nuts 40g

Cook and drain a whole packet of mini spiral pasta, let it cool or place in freezer until it is cool to touch.
Wash baby spinach leaves
Chop the cherry tomatoes in half
Take cooled pasta and stir in Barilla Pesto Sauce
Fold the baby spinach and chopped cherry tomatoes through the pasta and then garnish the pasta salad with pine nuts.

I love it and I take it to friends and it is demolished!

#8 KBM

Posted 06 December 2012 - 11:53 AM

Hi there

I always get asked to bring a bunch of curried/devilled eggs.  They seem to disappear pretty quickly.

#9 Missmarymack

Posted 06 December 2012 - 11:55 AM

What about a quinoa salad with roast pumpkin, loads of chopped coriander, parsley and baby spinach, toasted nuts and seeds and pomegranate arils?

Edited by Missmarymack, 06 December 2012 - 11:56 AM.

#10 antsy

Posted 06 December 2012 - 10:56 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions! Some yummy sounding ideas here.

opethmum which barilla pesto do you use? The basil one or a different one?

#11 Flickster

Posted 06 December 2012 - 11:18 PM

My favourite can double as a side salad for a BBQ (great with sausages!) AND as a dessert!  (Not surprising given my sweet tooth!!)

6 granny smith apples, skin on, cut into ~1.5cm cubes
1 tin of pineapple pieces, drained
1 packet of pink & white marshmallows, cut into halves or thirds
thickened cream (buy 1 tub but you may not need it all to coat the ingredients - you don't want them swimming)
shredded coconut (again, enough to coat)

Put it all in a bowl & mix it up!  If taking the salad somewhere you're best off adding the coconut just before serving so it's not soggy (but it still tastes amazing the next day :-) )

#12 opethmum

Posted 09 December 2012 - 06:29 AM

my pm don't work for some reason.

Here is a link to the woolworths website for the pasta sauce

http://www2.woolworthsonline.com.au/#url=/...barilla%2Bpesto

that should help you out!

#13 _Alana_

Posted 09 December 2012 - 06:58 AM

We are hosting and having a BBQ too original.gif Our sides are ( not fancy but tasty and will be eaten original.gif )
Garden saladPotato and egg salad Bean salad ( with celery, onion, shallots tomatoes ) Fried rice ( served cold cooked the day before )
Hope you have a great day original.gif

#14 codswallop

Posted 09 December 2012 - 08:47 AM

Persian Rice Salad

Serves 6-8

1 ¾ cups long grain rice
2 slices fresh ginger, finely chopped
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp ground cumin
½ tsp nutmeg
6 spring onions, finely chopped (include some green tops)
½ cup each raisins and sultanas, soaked in boiling water for 5 mins then drained
1 tbsp grated orange rind
6 ripe apricots stoned and finely sliced
60 g pine nuts, toasted
about half cup olive oil
salt and freshly ground black pepper
apricots and pine nuts to garnish

Cook rice in plenty of boiling salted water for 15 mins.  Drain well.  Place warm rice in a large bowl and add remaining ingredients, seasoning with salt and pepper.  You need just enough oil to moisten rice without making it mushy, so add it gradually.  Serve salad warm or at room temperature, garnished with apricot halves and pine nuts.

#15 Snugglepot77

Posted 09 December 2012 - 09:21 AM

Hiya original.gif

My favourite side dish for summer is:

Chargrilled Zucchini, Asparagus, fetta, oregano and toasted almond salad.

Slice zucchini in long thin strips lengthewise, chargrill this with a little olive oil along with the asparagus spears (I have also done this with steamed broccolini and it's lovely!). Toss this in a dressing of lemon zest, lemon juice, white balsamic vinegar, garlic, oregano, salt/pepper and olive oil (pm me if you want a recipe for this lovely dressing!).

Spread a layer of baby spinach and rocket on the base of a long platter, scatter dressed chargrilled zucchini and asparagus over this, crumble over danish fetta (or swap for parmesan if you are warned off fetta during pregnancy!) and garnish with toasted sliced almonds, fresh oregano leaves and drizzle with a little more dressing.

Happy Cooking!

#16 Snugglepot77

Posted 09 December 2012 - 09:37 AM

Forgot to say also - that the zucchini and the asparagus are perfect when chargrilled on the BBQ so hand over the veges to whomever is in charge of the barbie and all you have to do is the garnishes and dressing! Simplicity!

#17 BabyBumbleBee

Posted 11 December 2012 - 12:53 PM

QUOTE (Flickster @ 07/12/2012, 12:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My favourite can double as a side salad for a BBQ (great with sausages!) AND as a dessert!  (Not surprising given my sweet tooth!!)

6 granny smith apples, skin on, cut into ~1.5cm cubes
1 tin of pineapple pieces, drained
1 packet of pink & white marshmallows, cut into halves or thirds
thickened cream (buy 1 tub but you may not need it all to coat the ingredients - you don't want them swimming)
shredded coconut (again, enough to coat)

Put it all in a bowl & mix it up!  If taking the salad somewhere you're best off adding the coconut just before serving so it's not soggy (but it still tastes amazing the next day :-) )

This eaten with sausages, are you serious?

#18 rebeccawith3

Posted 11 December 2012 - 12:58 PM

Broccoli Salad
http://www.kraftrecipes.com/recipes/tangy-...alad-57796.aspx

I usually throw the broccoli and the onion in the thermomix and make it much smaller than the picture and toss in some toasted sunflower seeds, slivered almonds or pinenuts too.  Always gets rave reviews and is so easy!

Edited by rebeccawith3, 11 December 2012 - 12:59 PM.

#19 antsy

Posted 12 December 2012 - 08:47 PM

Thank you all for the suggestions! I have lots of ideas now, I am going to give some of them a go over the next week.

Opthemum thanks for the link. I actually tried your recipe today and it was delicious!

#20 flipped out

Posted 13 December 2012 - 02:21 PM

Layered Salad

I won't admit to how much of this I may have consumed recently!

#21 babyadvocate

Posted 14 December 2012 - 04:30 PM

This recipe is easy, healty, awesome flavour, looks pretty and can be made well ahead of time...

http://www.itsmyhealth.com.au/recipes/weig...ied-pasta-salad

#22 JRA

Posted 14 December 2012 - 04:33 PM

Next Door Salad - simply as introduced to it by our next door neighbours

Rocket
Cut up pieces of mango
Cut up pieces of avocado
Roasted pine nuts on top

Dressing of olive oil and balsamic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Britain's youngest parents: mother 12, father 13

A 12-year-old schoolgirl and her 13-year-old boyfriend are believed to have become Britain?s youngest parents, after the birth of their baby girl earlier this week.

When Prince George met Bilby George

Prince George has met an Aussie marsupial named after him in his first official engagement in Australia.

Asphyxia link another piece of the SIDS puzzle

An Australian study has uncovered information which could lead to a better understanding of why babies die from Sudden Infant Death Syndrome.

Pregnant woman dies after doctor removes ovary instead of appendix

When a UK woman went to hospital suffering appendicitis, doctors mistakenly removed her healthy ovary - with tragic consequences.

The milestones I can't wait to celebrate

Nothing can beat the feeling of witnessing that first smile, first step and first word - but here's a list of 'firsts' I'm really looking forward to now.

How you develop in your baby's first year

Just as babies undergo rapid growth as they learn and change in their first year, we?re learning and changing quickly as parents, too. Don?t underestimate the developmental stages you go through when you have a baby.

Can you make your baby smarter even before birth?

A product new to Australia claims to help babies be born "as intelligent as possible", but not all experts agree on the benefits of educating babies while still in the womb.

How a mother's love helped unearth the skills of an autistic savant

Autistic savant Ping Lian Yeak, a prodigious artist who has had his work shown all over the world, couldn't have done it without the support and love of his proud mum.

Rescue dog Zoey and BFF Jasper star in adorable pics

Photographer, self-professed "crazy dog lady" and mum Grace Chon takes photos of rescue dog Zoey and her 10-month-old son Jasper together. The results are just too cute. See more on Instagram @thegracechon.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

A tiny heart: a baby?s death gives life to another

Simon Alexander Garcia lived only one brief hour. But somewhere, a little girl?s heart is beating today because of him.

Ear piercing: what age is best?

What is it that shapes our opinions on what?s an 'appropriate' age for our children to get their ears pierced? Parents share their views on how young is too young when it comes to piercing.

Why is childbirth still such a pain?

The options given to women to help them cope in labour have barely changed in years.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win the brand new phil&teds vibe

Check out the good looking new release of the Vibe 3 and the Verve 4-wheeler inline strollers. To celebrate their release, we have a Vibe with double kit to give away.

Baby sleep

From birth to one year and beyond, read about baby sleep, soothing techniques, routines, and sleep school experiences.

Easter gifts for babies, no chocolate in sight!

If this is your little one?s first Easter you might want to mark the occasion with something a little extra special. Here are 10 Easter gift ideas, which won't harm little teeth.

7 tips for a kid-free trip, not a guilt trip

Although I?m jumping out of my skin to take my child-free holiday, I?m dreading the goodbye. But I?m determined to make the most of it without tarnishing it with guilt or sadness about leaving the kids.

Itchibubs: clothes for babies and toddlers with eczema

Parents of children who suffer from eczema will know only too well the scratching that occurs around the clock. A new clothing range aims to help make everyone more comfortable.

Ear piercing: what age is best?

What is it that shapes our opinions on what?s an 'appropriate' age for our children to get their ears pierced? Parents share their views on how young is too young when it comes to piercing.

Caring for kids helps grandmothers stay mentally alert

Looking after grandchildren can help grandmothers ward off brain disease - but it's also possible to get too much of a good thing, researchers say.

Why I loved my third home water birth

After two water births at home, I was determined to give birth to my son the same way. I just hoped this birth would be quicker than my last two.

Revealed: 7 ways food marketers try to trick consumers

If you?re confused by food labels, you?re not alone. Next time you?re shopping for food, look out for these seven common labelling tricks.

'My mother-in-law found out our baby's gender behind our backs'

My husband and I mutually decided that we didn?t want to know our baby's sex before the birth, but his mother couldn't handle that.

Free Printable Activities

Keeping little hands busy

Free printable acitivity pages like colouring in, cutting, word finders, mazes, maths activities and puzzles.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.