I struggle with giving DS attention

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 epl0822

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:28 PM

As a parent I know it's crucial to give my toddler DS lots of attention and play with him. I have really struggled with this since he was a baby. My DH seems like a natural and can spend hours playing with him. It doesn't come natural to me and I just....don't enjoy it. I know it sounds awful and I hate to admit this to myself but that is how I feel.

I really have to make a conscious effort to spend time with DS. Sometimes I sit down to play with him or build blocks or read together and a few minutes later I think hmmmm...now what? Even when I put in a lot of effort it still feels awkward and unnatural and....honestly, tedious. I find it a lot easier when there is another adult interacting with him and I join in. I've been taking him to playgroups and music lessons so we spend more time doing stuff together but when we're at home I feel lost.

I feel guilty because I feel like I'm not doing enough. I feel guilty because I should enjoy this and I don't. I feel guilty because I should be naturally good at this as a parent and I'm not. I actually feel relieved when DH comes home because I know DS is getting so much more stimulation and play than what I'm capable of.

Does anyone else feel the same way? Anybody have advice for me?

#2 Suz01

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:38 PM

I feel the same way. DH can repeatedly play the same games over and over. From boo to tickling, to reading stories to rocking bubs to sleep. I'm a clock watcher. Is it that they get less time as they work, so they make the most of it? I found when I was working full time our relationship was much better.

#3 Excentrique Feral

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:38 PM

I also find it really boring playing with the kids. Honestly, I don't stress  about it. My parents didn't spend hours on the floor with me and I turned out ok. I was great at entertaining myself which is an important skill. I chat with my kids a lot, that's how I give them attention.

I think this is just another one of those areas us mothers feel guilty about, unnecessarily IMO.

#4 Kay1

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:41 PM

Maybe find something you can do parallel to each other, like drawing, painting, stamps etc. Reading books where you find things etc. Some people are just not good at getting down and silly and that's ok.

Do you roll a ball to him and have him roll it back? Things like that.

Its definitely easier when they can play games.

#5 Paddlepop

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:42 PM

It sounds like your DS is getting lots of stimulation from other people and sources so perhaps you could view your time at home with him as giving him some quiet time/downtime and allowing him to learn how to play independently and amuse himself.

Don't feel guilty. Toddler games can be really boring.

#6 erindiv

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:44 PM

I'm the same with my two. DS is at a particularly frustrating stage where he will play happily alone but if I'm nearby he just whines and tries to climb onto my head. I just let him be. I figure he is learning better when he's not hanging off me anyway.

#7 cinnabubble

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:46 PM

I doubt most of our parents spent hours deliberately stimulating our brains, yet we managed to grow and develop. I wouldn't worry too much.

#8 SnazzyFeral

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:01 PM

I find playing blocks ect boring after a few seconds lol. I put on radio national so that I can keep myself entertained but still pay attention to DS. It doesn't always work but I have learned a lot about Jewish Philosophy lately while building block towers only to have them knocked down and commanded on pain of tantrum to do it again. You find it boring because it is, don't feel bad about it.

#9 Feral_Pooks

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:13 PM

We spend time together, I do my thing, he does his. When we "play", it is spontaneous and genuine and I truly enjoy it. I realise he's otherwise on his own a lot so I do try to keep him stimulated, but that doesn't have to mean me playing with him. I figure he is going to have to get used to entertaining himself. Tv helps sometimes too. I know, I know. But it does. And music. Or even just shifting his location. Sitting in a different part of the backyard. Today he explored my bedroom and it was heaps of fun for him, I sat on the bed folding socks and stuff, and would talk to him or pass him something to look at.

#10 katrina24

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:25 PM

I wouldn't stress too much. Sounds like he gets lots of adult play time from other sources.  Perhaps your one:one time could be more like cooking together, going to the park, going to organised activities like library story times, play groups, music or dance classes (you're already doing one of these), doing puzzles, reading books etc. even going shopping together and having a chat is good.  You don't have to be great at everything, particularly if you have a partner that balances you out (I'm sure there are lots of things you do for your DS that your DH is either no good at or doesn't enjoy).

#11 libbylu

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:27 PM

I really hated toddler games too.  At that age what is more important is the conversation though.....as long as you are talking to him a lot, whether it be while you are doing chores around the house or when you are out and about - pointing things out about the world, naming things, etc, then you will give him lots of stimulation.
I agree it is more fun when you can play card games together, do challenging puzzles etc.
I think its fine to do what you are doing - take him out lots, music classes etc.  I used to put on music at home and have a dance, go to the local library, take him on bike rides etc.

#12 Frau Farbissina

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:27 PM

So what are you doing at home if you aren't specifically doing something toddler fun related? If you are together, I am sure that he is still happy to simply be in your company and interact with you on other levels.
If you're in separate rooms and not talking for hours on end, then yes probably a problem. But day to day life is still time together and interaction and stimulation.

Going out to check the letterbox, watering the flowers, doing the vacuuming, eating lunch together, going for a drive somewhere and talking in the car about the things you see, mundane but still interactive  original.gif

#13 -Emissary-

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:29 PM

I hate sitting there and playing games with DS. I would happily lay next to him and read while he plays by himself. I would happily take him to the park and watch him play. I would happily take him shopping and to the movies.

But I can't sit there for hours playing games with his toys with him.

I do feel bad because I grew up loving playing with little kids. I used to love babysitting my little cousins and spending countless hours playing with them. I just completely grew out of that by the time I had DS.  sad.gif

#14 YodaTheWrinkledOne

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:38 AM

I think how you are feeling is pretty common.  I know I felt that way especially when I was a full-time stay at home mum, mainly because it felt a little bit like groundhog day (doing the same things over and over again).

If you are together, I am sure that he is still happy to simply be in your company and interact with you on other levels.
If you're in separate rooms and not talking for hours on end, then yes probably a problem. But day to day life is still time together and interaction and stimulation.

Going out to check the letterbox, watering the flowers, doing the vacuuming, eating lunch together, going for a drive somewhere and talking in the car about the things you see, mundane but still interactive

agree with this.

It went a LOT better when I started doing my OWN thing next to her (and now DS as well) like cross stitch, or writing or scrapbooking, whatever and she did her thing. All that was required of me was to chat while she played - SO MUCH EASIER!!  And more fun, which meant it went longer and we all bonded so much better!
this was the same for me.

Plus, getting them involved in what I was doing helped too.  Example, if lunch had to be prepared, I now get the kids to pull everything out of the fridge and I supervise them making sandwiches (or make up a plate of food of whatever).  I mention picnic lunch, they go nuts to get it ready.  They put a blanket on the lawn out the back, bring out half their stuffed toys, we have a picnic lunch out there with their toys, I have a long drink and a book to read, they are happily playing next to me. Win-Win!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

A mum's tragic battle against inflammatory breast cancer

At just 37 years of age, with two young sons, Vicki was diagnosed with inflammatory breast cancer. Now her family wants all women to know the symptoms.

The business of babies around the world

Pregnancy and birth is an intriguing process no matter where you are in the world. One soon-to-be father gleans wisdom from a new guide.

Finding a positive path through IVF

It’s not surprising that IVF is often seen as a negative journey towards the ultimate positive, but having a glass-half-full approach can make a big difference to the experience.

Giving strangers the gift of parenthood

A mum explains why she and her husband are choosing to gift their leftover embryos to help strangers achieve their dream of parenthood.

Does morning sickness get better or worse with each child?

Just as every baby is unique, so is every pregnancy. And that means morning sickness can vary a lot, too.

What's so wrong with looking 'mumsy', anyway?

Why is it that the word ‘mumsy’ has connotations of such a negative nature – but seems to be the only other option apart from ‘yummy’?

Trying to speed up the inevitable

As the waiting game of late pregnancy continues, this mum considers a few things that might hurry things up a little.

One month later: where is William Tyrell?

It has been a little over a month since William Tyrell disappeared from his grandmother's home, 33 long sleepless nights for his family as they mourn the absence of their cheeky young boy.

Winter's child less likely to be moody: study

Babies born in the summer are much more likely to suffer from mood swings when they grow up, while those born in the winter are less likely to become irritable adults, scientists claim.

Single mum of two creates award-winning baby app

Suddenly single with a baby and an 11-year-old son, Tara O?Connell developed an app to improve the lives of mothers who were similarly overwhelmed.

Food for thought: looking after yourself as a new mum

As soon as your baby enters the world, everything else takes a back seat - even the necessities of daily life such as eating are severely compromised, right when you need energy the most.

'Grabbable guts' campaign aims to cut toxic fat

The Live Lighter campaign will take people inside the human body to show the internal dangers of being overweight.

The best and worst month of my life

A new mum's first month of motherhood didn't pan out as expected when she lost a family member weeks after her baby's birth.

Facebook and Apple offer to pay female staff to freeze their eggs

Facebook and Apple are hoping to provide women with the freedom to build their careers without the added pressure of having children at or by a certain age.

How a pregnancy contract could work for you and your partner

The idea of making a 'pregnancy contract' with your partner may sound a bit silly at first, but it can help make the transition to parenthood a lot smoother.

Finding a mum-friendly personal trainer

Burping babies vs burpees – yes, new mums and personal trainers live in different worlds. But they can work together - once you find the right match for you and your lifestyle.

Alleged baby snatch incident a ?misunderstanding?, say police

Police say that an incident in which a man pulled on a woman?s pram while walking a popular Sydney route late last month was a misunderstanding.

Ebola killed my aunt and is shutting down my country

Three weeks ago, my auntie, a midwife, developed a fever. Sitting here in Sydney basked in Australian sunshine, that shouldn't be big news.

The night my ovary burst

One mum shares her frightening experience and vows to never take her health for granted again.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

The mum who never met her baby

There was one more thing Kymberlie Shepherd wanted to experience in life - motherhood. But a rare illness took her first.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.